http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:17:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon  (Read 1313 times)
happydog
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2004, 08:48:47 PM »

A friend of mine is getting a Xbox tonight and we were talking about getting this style of game. Which would be the recommended one? I think the original Ghost Recon is a platinum game right? Is it worth it to go with the older one, or should we go with a newer (Black Arrow) game?

LiveTAG: happydog
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 09:19:48 PM »

Rainbow six for me. Thats my recomendation. I think that GR is simply a knockoff on R6. R6 has tactical controls and planning and is a veyr realistic game with good graphics and sound. GR has some, but does not have the tactical controls or the planning that R6 does.
And R6 has great multiplayer. biggrin

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 09:23:28 PM »

Both games are fantastic.

But they are a little different.

Here is a VERY brief comparison:

1.  Ghost Recon does not show your weapon on screen.  You have a targeting cursor only.  Raven Shield has the weapon on screen.

2.  Ghost Recon is more outside based.  Sniper Rifles are much more important (some would argue too important, but I don't think so).  Raven Shield has a mix between outside and inside, but is definately more geared toward close quarters combat, and you will spend more time inside than out for sure.

3.  Ghost Recon uses an older engine, and it shows... but maybe not as much as you would think.  Since it's dominated by outdoor environments, it isn't a big deal.  Raven Shield does look better though.

4.  Ghost Recon has some pretty kick-ass atmosphere.  Because you're outside, especially in the jungles and in the rain in some missions, it just sounds extremely good.  Raven Shield has more indoor type sounds, like of factories and stuff.  Not nearly as good imo.

5.  The game modes differ a bit.  I can't remember exactly, but I think Black Arrow has more options for multiplayer.  The guns are different too.  

-   -   -   -

There you have it... brief-style.  In case it isn't obvious, I love both games, and could never choose between the two.

If you still aren't sure, figure out if you want more outside long range type missions, or more close quarters type missions.  That may help you decide.

Best of luck.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 02:15:03 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Both games are fantastic.
But they are a little different.
[...]

There you have it... brief-style.  In case it isn't obvious, I love both games, and could never choose between the two.

If you still aren't sure, figure out if you want more outside long range type missions, or more close quarters type missions.  That may help you decide.

1. "You have a targeting cursor only" - True... which means you see more in GR but don't get to see the cool modelling. It's neither good or bad; it's the smallest factor (for me). I'd say the targetting reticule is the bigger difference; GR is less forgiving than RS3 and RS3:BA as it requires you to AIM. Tongue

2.  Rather than focusing on sniper rifles, focus on shotguns. If you take a shotty in GR (I don't recall if there IS one) you'd die. A lot. The range of the sub, assault and sniper class rifles are (generally) required to get the job done.

3.  "Ghost Recon uses an older engine, and it shows..." VERY MUCH so. Raven Shield looks better. Functionally, it's not as vast as the GR series and the graphics are more immersive in GR than Raven Shield. In RS3; basically you're shooting people around corners, and the triggers are really obvious.

4.  "Ghost Recon has some pretty kick-ass atmosphere."  I agree. GR brings surround sound and shows you how to use it.  I didn't find RS3 to be much help with it, although the voice comm was fantastic. The thing is, GR lets you move your troops via a map which is much nicer (overall)

5.  " Black Arrow has more options for multiplayer " And bullets miss people, and it's just an expansion pack for 40US. I have it; I'm gonna be trading it in for Fable. I've already beat the crap outta RS3 (original), so it's been traded. I don't own any GR right now, Island Thunder was the same thing as RS3:BA (should have had more; added a ton of new weapons and *way* more maps to be truly enjoyable).

I'd recommend getting either RS3 or RS3:BA used (they're practically the same game) or either GR or GR:IT used. Save your "new" title for GR2 this fall. It apparently goes 3rd person; but it does mean you have a better peripheral vision. Plus there's a 1st person mode for the better gamers.

and *that* is my humble opinion.

"Take my advice; I'm not using it anyways" - unknown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 08:49:46 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
Rainbow six for me. Thats my recomendation. I think that GR is simply a knockoff on R6. R6 has tactical controls and planning and is a veyr realistic game with good graphics and sound. GR has some, but does not have the tactical controls or the planning that R6 does.
And R6 has great multiplayer. biggrin

First off.. GR is an entirely different tactical experience than R6.
Second, since we're talking about Xbox versions here, R6 has no planning whatsoever. It is completely unlike the PC versions in almost any way. Rarely is there ever more than one path through any part of the level, and you only get one team of four guys, not two as in many Rainbow Six PC levels.

In GR, you still have both teams throughout the game. There's a map you can use for sort of free-form command of your second team. To me, GR was a much more tactically involved game than R6, but was not as well rounded.

Honestly, both games are equal in different ways. R6 is far easier to get into, and a much easier game to get going in. GR is more rewarding, but is difficult at first.

Pick whichever game grabs you the most after looking at both boxes. I would put money on Rainbow Six 3 being the better short-term experience, and it's easier to pick up and play than GR.

If you want to invest some serious time in a game, pickup GR. It's a lot more involved.

I'm forced to wonder.. have you even played[/i] any of the Ghost Recon games? Cheap knock-off of Rainbow Six?

You need to go back to hiding under your bridge.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 11:01:17 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I'm forced to wonder.. have you even played[/i] any of the Ghost Recon games? Cheap knock-off of Rainbow Six?

I agree. The Rainbow 6 team is an anti-terrorist squad-based combat; usually in urban settings. It's Counterstrike, done with Clancy and way more atmosphere.

The Ghosts are recon for field work, and are the "Silent tip of the arrow" in preventing full scale wars. That's right from the intro, although I'm sure the quote is wrong.

On the PC I'd say R6 : Raven Shield is the better game (as you can still do mission planning, maps are larger, and there's way more weapons). On Xbox, I ultimately prefer GR although RS isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 12:04:29 PM »

See, that's what I think too.

In the switch to the Xbox GR retained more of it's detail and kept the ability to use some real tactics.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Rainbow games on Xbox, and honestly never found it in myself to actually learn everything involved with the PC versions, because let's face it.. there's A LOT there to learn. I normally do better with a more streamlined pick-up-and-play type experience. I loved GR so much because it found an excellent balance between the two extremes. I still had the map that I could use to place my second team, could still do some form of planning if I wanted to, but without the complicated controls and rough interface from the PC Rainbow 6 games.

I actually have Raven Shield installed on my PC right now, but haven't ever finished a single level of it. I don't have the drive to get in there and even learn what all the controls are. It's amazingly detailed, and deserving of any praise that it gets, I just can't get into it.

I don't know, regardless I just couldn't sit and read "jimmyorr99" 's post and not say something.

I haven't read a statement on these baords where I got the vibe that the person giving criticism hadn't actually played the game in a long time, if ever. Sort of pushed one of my buttons I suppose.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 03:49:33 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
I don't know, regardless I just couldn't sit and read "jimmyorr99" 's post and not say something.

I haven't read a statement on these baords where I got the vibe that the person giving criticism hadn't actually played the game in a long time, if ever. Sort of pushed one of my buttons I suppose.

I've been known to use the phrase : "Cherish your experiences; use silence to respect that which you know nothing about." That's why I'm generally not in the sports section of the forums. slywink

I dunno if jimmy hadn't played it, or just hadn't given it a fair shake. Since both games are Ubi/Clancy, there's really no "knockoff" status as they both cater to firearms conflict; but the scope of each rarely overlap.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »

Thanks for the in-depth opinions. In the end my friend bought R6 (non-Black Arrow) so that is probably what I will get.

LiveTAG: happydog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: