http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:39:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbow 6 Vegas demo  (Read 2083 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:26:15 PM »

Dear Penthouse,

I know people have had problems with demos not appearing or only appearing buried in memos, but I never thought it would happen to me.  Well, one day, after hearing about the great Rainbow Six demo, I decided to download it.  But it was nowhere to be found.  Microsoft started screwing me RIGHT THERE!  Normally, I'm not the kind of guy to be able to check for a demo only once, this demo was so hot, I checked multiple times that same day!  And Microsoft kept coming back for more, giving it to me again and again. 

I thought after the last time when I paid full price for the demi-game Lumines, that it would never happen again, but here I sit ready to check one more time.  Oh, baby.

One for the recordbooks, Penthouse, and I never thought it would happen to me...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »

Played the demo on the 360 just now and I must say it is fantastic.  Love it and will get it most assuredly.  Everything the previous games were only much better.  Can't wait to play this baby.  By the way, I did not have to download it cuz it came in the mail on my OXM disk.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »

Apparently the demo is only available in Europe.  Friggin' Euros, we should have let Stalin have them  Tongue  Needless to say this is a day one purchase with or without a demo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 11:53:39 PM »

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and just played the demo from the OXM disk.  Also has Just Cause, Destroy All Humans 2, Eragon, and a few others.  It does suck though if they are only going to offer it for download in the Europe.  How stupid would that be?!

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:57:08 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 23, 2006, 11:53:39 PM

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and just played the demo from the OXM disk.  Also has Just Cause, Destroy All Humans 2, Eragon, and a few others.  It does suck though if they are only going to offer it for download in the Europe.  How stupid would that be?!

I assume OXM arranged with UbiSoft to have the demo only available through the demo disk for a set period of time. They'll offer it for download once OXM's exclusivity period is up.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 12:25:15 AM »

Yeah I think that it is stupid not to put the demo on live..... saywhat

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:18:58 AM »

Dled, about to play!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 23, 2006, 11:57:08 PM

Quote from: mikeg on October 23, 2006, 11:53:39 PM

I assume OXM arranged with UbiSoft to have the demo only available through the demo disk for a set period of time. They'll offer it for download once OXM's exclusivity period is up.

That is exactly what happened as far as this goes. It's pretty much the only reason out there that makes sense.

Where was that link... Ahha!

*COUGH*

Nothing like having a Live account in Europe for whenever some company tries to put out an exclusive little gimmick like this.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:48:40 AM »

The demo is pretty good, but it screams GRAW to me and I'm not sure that's a path I want to go down again.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:10 AM »

Okay after the initial next-gen-buzz has worn off (this my second time firing it...took a little longer with GRAW)...

Can't really stand it.  It hung up on me after the whole forcing me to use night-vision + heat-vision (which I hate) and I really, really don't want to do that again.  The game just screams GRAW and after hating myself for playing through that single-player, there's no way I'll do it over again with Vegas.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 03:39:31 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 24, 2006, 03:21:10 AM

Okay after the initial next-gen-buzz has worn off (this my second time firing it...took a little longer with GRAW)...

Can't really stand it.  It hung up on me after the whole forcing me to use night-vision + heat-vision (which I hate) and I really, really don't want to do that again.  The game just screams GRAW and after hating myself for playing through that single-player, there's no way I'll do it over again with Vegas.

Hmm.  I liked GRAW alot.  I may look into this. But with CoD3 and GoW coming I may burn out on shooters this fall.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 03:59:25 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 24, 2006, 03:21:10 AM

The game just screams GRAW and after hating myself for playing through that single-player, there's no way I'll do it over again with Vegas.

Online co-op is where the fun is at.  there's nothing like zooming in on Soulchilde as he comes over a hill and putting a bullet right between his eyes and then killing the tangos  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 04:38:29 AM »

Yeah, I'll probably run through the single-playe, but the real reason I'm buying the game is for co-op tactical mayhem.

I can't wait to get repeatedly flash-banged by my teammates.

<eyeballs ceekay>r

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

I played the hell out of GRAW co-op when it first came out...that was fun, but it got tiring and the competetive set-up of the game was piss-poor if you wanted ranked matches.

I gave the demo another shot and am starting to appreciate the feel of the game.  Looked into some of the MP stuff and it looks impressive...

I hope they haven't made poor design choices for the multiplayer because Double Agent's MP offerings and set-up are shitshitshit (essentially causing me to give up on the game).

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 11:42:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 24, 2006, 03:59:25 AM

Online co-op is where the fun is at.  there's nothing like zooming in on Soulchilde as he comes over a hill and putting a bullet right between his eyes and then killing the tangos  icon_twisted

Hey wait... I thought that was MY job!

Oh no... I shoot him in the BACK... that's right.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:45:51 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »

Sweet.  I can't wait for this one.  I loved both single and multi-play GRAW.  But the co-op sessions were always a blast.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

I finally got it through my Japan account.  They have a Viva Pinata demo (~750MB), too, which I'm in the process of downloading.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 03:14:36 PM

I finally got it through my Japan account.  They have a Viva Pinata demo (~750MB), too, which I'm in the process of downloading.

I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!

(I want both of those demos!)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 24, 2006, 03:41:28 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 03:14:36 PM

I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!

(I want both of those demos!)

Don't bother with the Viva Pinata one.  It's just a lame "interactive video" (also available in the US).  750MB for a video.  Ugh.  Also, does anyone know if the voice over actors are used for anything other than tutorials and videos in the game?  Some of them I don't think I could take for a longer period.  The "character" choices seem very stock (dumb elephant, annoying "in your face" hedgehog thing, two-headed snake that seems based on the equally-annoying-but-at-least-thought-of-first frosted mini wheat, and Poocie the Bear), and the actors aren't helping.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »

You know, my first time through the GRAW singleplayer I went with standard lighting and yes, I had to use night vision for 70 percent of the game and hated that part of it.  The second time through I turned up the brightness and never had to use night vision a single time and loved it.  Totally different experience. 

That is why I don't think R6V will bother me in that respect.  One thing I don't like is when the levels are so busy that even in good lighting you can't possibly pick out the bad guys without heatvision or your gun cursor changing to red to let you know you have one targeted in.  You flat out should not have to depend on a red cursor to know where the enemy is.  I would much rather just have a laser site like in RE4 or Cold Fear.  Like that much more.

But I know I will like the game overall.  As for multi all I am interested is Coop through the single player missions if supported.  I am sooooooo over deathmatches, capture the flags, bases, etc.  I hope to never see another of those. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »

So I played this a couple times last night. I have some pretty serious issues with the paucity of the checkpoints (if no in game save is allowed) and teammate AI is still a little wonky, but overall-wow! The graphics are finally next gen, the game is freaking gorgeous. The guns feel right, its a great blend of realism vs. fun action, the "lean" and cover dynamics work absolutely flawlessly and add so much to the game. I understand why TML dislikes it, but he is wrong. Its an excellent demo that just jumped onto my list of games to buy. Very excited. Now, hopefully ubisoft wont completely fucking destroy the matchmaking options like they did with GRAW and SC:DA. Hopefully.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 10:37:22 PM »

I hated the forced Heat/NV section as well, but I took it with a grain of salt since it was basically just a tutorial level.

Hopefully that mechanic will be used sparingly through the 'real' game.

Overall very impressed. I liked the blend of first person + 3rd person, and the cover system is very intuitive.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 11:08:24 PM »

Yeah, the 3rd-person to 1st-person stuff is so seamless that it feels perfect.  They nailed that in Vegas...also, the leaning control-style deserves praise, as well.  Watching MP videos, I saw some leaning and peeking and I'm glad that it made it into the MP, unlike GRAW.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 12:29:11 AM »

Enjoyed the demo overall.  Initially I was a bit put off- the opening helicopter ride and gameplay in the first sections was almost carbon-copy from GRAW.  In addition, I'm not very impressed by the graphics- they are fine but I definitely wasn't blown away.  And could they have picked something a little more exciting than a building under construction?  It's Vegas, so show me something I haven't seen in upteen other urban combat games. 

However, I did really enjoy all of the different play options that came in later.  Once I got to the sections where you were breaching rooms I was really enjoying myself.  It basically seems like GRAW with a lot more tactical options, which is a good thing since GRAW felt so limited.  And I'm assuming/hoping that they really milk the Vegas setting a lot more than what we've seen here. 

So, I'm definitely IN, just don't know if it will be day one or perhaps a bit down the road. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 03:34:45 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 24, 2006, 09:42:07 PM

One thing I don't like is when the levels are so busy that even in good lighting you can't possibly pick out the bad guys without heatvision or your gun cursor changing to red to let you know you have one targeted in.  You flat out should not have to depend on a red cursor to know where the enemy is.

You might want to rethink your confidence.  Even with the brightness turned up, there were definite moments, even in the bright areas, where it was hard to make out the enemies without heat vision (which takes away the red dot, BTW).

None the less, I really enjoyed the demo and am looking forward to the full game.

Not a fan of the save system, though (I thought they'd moved away from that in previous games) and I was sad to learn I couldn't voice command my team.  That was something I really enjoyed in previous games.  Oh, well.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 03:52:15 AM »

So, I played the game (thanks to my Live Europe account) and fell in love with it. Very well done game IMHO.

The best parts include the 'take cover' aspect of the game and the fact that I could command my teammates to attack one way through a door while I go a different direction. Crossfire is very deadly for obvious reasons.  icon_biggrin

I do think I'll have to pick this one up. Shame on Ubisoft and that game magazine though for keeping this demo exclusive to everywhere but the US.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 07:07:45 AM »

I just finished playing once through the demo.   I really liked it.   I'd love to see this co-op with a couple of friends.   It felt like a faster paced GRAW to me but with different control mechanisms.   The AI seems smarter than GRAW though.

However, this may have to wait on the gaming budget.  All my friends are getting GoW when it comes out and I'm going to have to do that as well.  This is at the top of my Christmas list though. 

- shaggy

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 07:04:54 PM »

In IN In IN! IN!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »

+1 for the positive praise, and
+1 to the comment on no voice commands. Sad, really. I enjoyed that aspect.

Oh, as to the heat-vision ... you ARE a special ops team, not Joe Schmuck with a gun and a mission.
You would use the best tools possible to increase your chances for success.

Oh, and unless your red dot on the scope is a cutting laser, I doubt it would show up with heat-vision.  :slywink:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

anyone know if MS has suddenly caught on to people creating foreign accounts to download stuff?  i've been trying to d/l the R6V demo through both european and japanese accounts and it gives an error with both...download is on the Marketplace list, but won't let me start it...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 12:21:58 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 25, 2006, 08:03:31 PM

Oh, and unless your red dot on the scope is a cutting laser, I doubt it would show up with heat-vision.  :slywink:

Yeah, but there are convenient grappling hook mounts located all over Vegas.   icon_wink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »

Zipline anchor points are commonly installed; they're required by code in places where terrorists may infiltrate.

Finished the demo. Game is #1 on my rental list; I may even buy it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:06:23 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: