http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rage  (Read 10849 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

I preordered too.   Shame that the NDA doesn't lift until launch.   That always makes me suspicious.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on October 03, 2011, 04:27:30 PM

I preordered too.   Shame that the NDA doesn't lift until launch.   That always makes me suspicious.

Seems to be the norm these days, at least for us europeans we know before our Friday release.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »

yikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5oEdfT4OWY

plenty of Rage going on right now: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=955

looks like I'll be going back to RDR until the community fixes this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:08 AM »

Wow a ton of graphical problems and I can't even play the game.  I've been reading the Steam forums and tons of people are having the same problems.  Texture pop in at all levels and my biggest problem is random flickering.
My gun starts to flicker then enemies then the whole screen.  Very very disappointed, hopefully there will be a patch tomorrow.  I even put on the new ATI drivers and still had the same issues.  Probably why they didn't send out review copies in that the game for PC wasn't really finished or optimized or something.    

I was going to take off a half day tomorrow to play, at least my copy of Dark Souls will be here tomorrow unfortunately UPS doesn't arrive until 6pm so I guess I'll take off another day.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2011, 05:16:09 AM »

even the last minute drivers released by ATI/MD don't fix it.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:49 AM »

Yep the new drivers don't fix anything. I messed with different settings for about an hour and had no luck. I have a 6950 and the using FRAPS I was getting 30-60fps.   There are only 3 video options for the game and  it's supposed to dynamically adjust and that isn't working, when you turn around you can see the edges of your screen pop in better textures and it's annoying.  If I had turn off Vsync unless Application requests it my game wouldn't load it would just go to a black screen and I'd have to ctl-alt-del to end it.

There wasn't an option for inverted controls but once you start the game they ask you if you want to use them which was odd and speaks to a console game, I was using a 360 controller though.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:23:24 AM by shon » Logged

Krillin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »

Well, I just played through the first level with no problems (no pop or low res textures).  Core i5 2300k (clocks itself up to 3.1 ghz when needed), 560 ti and 6gb ram.  

Wonder if it will boil down to AMD/ATI having to issue a hotfix, or if it's something more serious.

Edit:  After some reading around, it sounds like a problem I had with an old work pc.  Creating color scans or editing scanned files with rastercad (until I could compress them) would cause the AV software on that pc to choke. 

Makes me wonder if some of the people with texture streaming problems have AV software that is not correctly going into "game mode" and choking on the texture files when the game accesses them. 

I'll also give a little more detail on my hardware, just in case it helps someone out,

Core i5 2300k, Gateway pc (don't make that face, it was cheaper than building my own this time...)
Windows 7 64 bit
6gb ram
Gigabyte 560ti, factory OC
Logitech g700 mouse
Eset Security (NOD 32)
Steam/game installed on secondary hard drive

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:36:13 PM by Krillin » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »

DO NOT BUY RAGE YET!

Still plenty of problems in there that will probably be patched out, but very disappointing to see this level of crap from Id, but sadly not surprising considering what's happened to the studio over time.

Everything so far is solid gameplay-wise, but as described, can be a bit bland once you get used to it.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »

Not surprised by this, impressions by most journalists always seemed to be "yeah it's pretty cool but... meh". The quicklook on giantbomb just makes it looks so amazingly boring. Awesome looking world though, will wait for steam sale.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »

Quote from: Krillin on October 04, 2011, 06:31:57 AM

Wonder if it will boil down to AMD/ATI having to issue a hotfix, or if it's something more serious.

seems like it's not limited to ATI/AMD, there's nVidia people talking about the same issues on Steam.

Because I can,
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »

Seems there are issues for some but plenty with no issues at all.

Anything from ID on it yet!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »

Really regretting spending the last of my entertainment funds for this month (and probably many more months with the economy the way it is) on this. It's basically a prettier Borderlands, but without the leveling and crazy loot. There is still loot overall, but it's for a basic crafting system. It's fun, but I've seen it all before, so definitely not worth $60 so far.

However, the shooting's good, so if you enjoy just some fun and smooth shooting, it's pretty interesting. The weapons aren't that interesting by themselves, but the special ammo you can get are a bit more fun to play with, but are still things you've seen already in shooters.

The racing and car combat system is pretty uninteresting to me so far.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 04, 2011, 10:41:31 AM

Seems there are issues for some but plenty with no issues at all.

Anything from ID on it yet!

seems to be about 50/50.  of course some of those who say they have no issues may be the anonymous fucktard who doesn't have the game, and vice versa  icon_lol  still, if I had to give a review off the release code it'd be be a short one with the game described as currently unplayable (unless the briefly disappearing models are meant to have really short term cloaking devices  icon_wink).  it'll be interesting to see how it works when my new toy arrives tomorrow.

I imagine id is just crawling out of bed, so we'll probably hear something soon.  people were figuring stuff out last night, and I haven't had a chance to check the forums again yet.  I did get the console open, and saw where it listed the system it didn't seem to be listing it right, like the CPU was faster than it should have been and there was no VRAM present (there should have been a gig) so I'm wondering if it's not autodetecting properly.  still can't believe id of all companies skimped on the graphics options that you can manually set.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »

some shots of the megatextures at work: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154243

I'm wondering if they ddin't pull a Dead island and release the wrong build icon_lol

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 04:22:59 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2011, 04:02:42 PM

I'm wondering if they ddin't pull a Dead island and release the wrong build icon_lol

They will never live that down.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 05:36:37 PM »

someone did a comparison of the pop-in on the 3 platforms:

Spoiler for big picture:

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »

I've been following this from late last night.  There are really two different types of technical complaints:

1. Texture pop-in.  This effects almost all users to varying degrees and seems to be an engine issue.    

2. General graphical glitches like artifacts, screen tearing, even flashing of textures.  Most of these problems seem to be affecting people with ATI cards, and ATI has already come out this morning and admitted that the drivers they released last night had some outdated elements, so new drivers coming later today.  There are some Nvidia people with the same issues, but many of them have been able to fix it with driver updates or a few card level (i.e. outside the software) tweaks.  PS3 and 360 owners are not having these problems from what I've seen.

As I'm an ATI user I'm seeing pretty much everything right now.  The game is unplayable for me, but hopefully the new drivers help.  

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »

that'll be the third time I've updated my drivers in 24 hours.  went to 11.9 last night, then to the 'special short bus' RAGE drivers, and now another one.  yippee.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »

I installed the "Rage" drivers then looked at the ATI control panel and it said the release was 11.9.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2011, 07:08:49 PM »

Before I launched the game I read about the problems so when I saw texture pop-in with Catalyst 11.8 drivers I immediately exited out and went out to install the 11.10 version since I'd heard the Rage drivers were causing problems.  I played a bit further with 11.10 but saw more problems then just pop-in (artifacts, lighting issues, tearing) so did some research.

Right now the game seems to be fine outside of the pop-in and this is what I did: rolled back to 11.8 and forced VSync and triple buffering through the CCC.  Everything else in CCC is set for "application control."  Might make the game at least playable for people having more then just pop-in issues.

- American Dad
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »

Just started it up on my 2010 MacBook Pro (i5, nVidia 330M) using the 285.38 drivers and it runs pretty damn well. The only two things I can complain about so far is the texture pop in when turning quickly and what looks like tearing even tho I have vsync enabled globally in the nvidia control panel. Will report more later as a play some more.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »

I think the new drivers are up I went to the Rage Driver link as before and now it says 10/4 as the date and new Open/GL.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »

Yes I can finally play Rage but now can I tear away from Dark Souls?

The drivers seem to have fixed my issues and I can turn Vsync on in the CCC and I don't see the screen tears now and it seems to be running very smooth.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »

not sure if I'm going to bother-  I may just wait for my new nVidia card to arrive tomorrow; there is just something wrong about updating your video card drivers 4 times in 3 days.

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »

If you own an nvidia card that is a 500 series ENABLE transcoding. It makes a world of difference.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

The problem was ATI's fault but yeah I understand frustrations.

All the graphical glitches are gone but now sometimes when I load a new area the loading screen just sits there and I have to ctl-alt-del and I see where Rage has quit working and after I restart it works fine until the next couple of loads.   strange...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »

yep, went and installed my third set of drivers since 10pm last night and the difference is night & day.  can't wait to see if more VRAM makes a difference like they claim it does.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »

played through the first mission last night and I have to say the tumbling melee raider/outlaws are just silly.  I do like that the enemies corpses have momentum if you kill them while charging, granted it cost me a few extra rounds before I realized it.

definitely still seeing a mixed bag when it comes to textures, a lot of which are in that other thread I linked to.  it's almost like the dev's forgot all about bump mapping

Because I can,
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »

Played about 5 hours and have the Anarchy Edition.
 I did update my video card drivers and enable transcoding.
 Playing with everything set to the max. Not experiencing any problems at all.

The game is easily the best looking one to date. Probably should be at 25 gigs.
 IMO at this time, everything in the game ie: graphics, sound, voice acting, etc. seems to be of a very high quality and since I have no problems I am enjoying the game.
 The attention to details is quite extensive and the immersion factor of your surroundings can get you shot pretty quick.
 The duck and roll of some enemies may look silly but it also makes them a lot harder to hit, which makes you think on the fly as to what weapon to use to take them down fast
 conserve your ammunition and health.
 The missions so far are varied and interesting and each have a goal to advancing your character as opposed to "go fetch" missions which in some games are just a time filler and make
  little sense.
 Guess I am one of the lucky ones in terms of not having any issues with game. I do have a fast octo-core PC and a good graphics card so maybe that is why.

It does seem to be like Borderlands but on graphical heroine.

So no complaints so far.

Byte me
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »

Quote from: ANZAC on October 05, 2011, 04:47:46 PM

The duck and roll of some enemies may look silly but it also makes them a lot harder to hit, which makes you think on the fly as to what weapon to use to take them down fast
 conserve your ammunition and health.

so far it seems to take two shots from the pistol for the Circus Soleil rejects, maybe an additional one if my aim is off from me rolling my eyes  icon_lol

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

Sadly, one problem they have is that enemies like bandits and mutants will arbitrarily get more health. It's now taking 4 shots to drop a basic mutant about 6 hours in. There's no graphical indication of their tougher status.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:49 PM »

Now that I've gotten many of the technical issues dealt with, I'm finally putting some time into the game.  I like it, for the most part.  I do wish they'd decided to take a bit more time setting things up, though.  Lots of stuff just doesn't make sense in terms of how the setting works and in particular why your character is doing what he's doing.   "Shallow" is probably the best word for it.

And not to nitpick, but Ron's review on the front page has a whole bunch of backstory errors in it.  For example, he says the game starts in 2035, six years after the asteroid impact. Uh, no.  It's 106 years later.   Roll Eyes

- American Dad
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »

Not quite sure what fixed all of the issues for me. I'd tried the various things posted here - the command line options, creating the missing cache directories, the 8K textures and was still seeing pop in, although less than the horrow show it was out of the box. Last night installed the latest beta "BF3" Nvidia drivers and turned transcoding back on (could have sworn it was on before) and things are pretty darn sweet now. Switched back to mouse+keyboard for everything except the driving, still prefer that for all the shooty bits. thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »

I started noticing texture pop-up again last night in the Wasted Garage, which seemed kind of odd since it's rendering less of them due to line of sight in an enclosed space.

got the buggy now and like it a lot better than the ATV as the buggy feels more like an actual vehicle and not a superspeed glide mode for my character.  I never rode an ATV before but are they supposed to be that stable?  it felt like I was invulnerable while driving it and it'd stop on a dime no matter how fast I was going.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 07, 2011, 02:30:18 PM

I started noticing texture pop-up again last night in the Wasted Garage, which seemed kind of odd since it's rendering less of them due to line of sight in an enclosed space.

got the buggy now and like it a lot better than the ATV as the buggy feels more like an actual vehicle and not a superspeed glide mode for my character.  I never rode an ATV before but are they supposed to be that stable?  it felt like I was invulnerable while driving it and it'd stop on a dime no matter how fast I was going.

ATV are not that stable. I think they are just easing you into driving.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »

Another quibble- invisible walls. I keep finding areas I know my character would be able to jump up to yet I can't because if them. The approach to the Wasted Garage is a great example of this bad design move.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

This game suffers from one of my gaming pet-peeves: Hand-animated characters. Why are people still doing this? It's one of the things that ruins the Halo experience for me, and now Rage pulls me right out of the immersion with the same thing. They should have used motion capture for the people you talk to, as their movements now are cartoonish at best. Not as bad as the Halo games, but still pretty bad.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2011, 09:09:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

This game suffers from one of my gaming pet-peeves: Hand-animated characters. Why are people still doing this? It's one of the things that ruins the Halo experience for me, and now Rage pulls me right out of the immersion with the same thing. They should have used motion capture for the people you talk to, as their movements now are cartoonish at best. Not as bad as the Halo games, but still pretty bad.

Is that why their hand movements stand out so much to me?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 07, 2011, 09:09:02 PM

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2011, 09:04:56 PM

Is that why their hand movements stand out so much to me?

Very likely. Their animations are very, very exaggerated and unnatural, quickly and precisely moving between poses at a rate far faster than a normal human being would do unless on a caffeine trip. It's not just their hands either, though they stick out the most. You can see it on their heads and their general postures.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: