http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 07:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAGE, the video game.  (Read 2436 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »

Yesterday I saw a preview of this game on X-Play.  It looks great, and they were absolutely raving over the new engine that will be used in it.  The only problem I thought of is that it looks exactly like a cross between Borderlands and Fallout 3, with a bit more vehicle combat.  To me at least.

From Wiki:

Rage (stylized as RAGE) is an upcoming first-person shooter and racing video game in development by id Software. It will use the company's new id Tech 5 engine. The game was first shown as a tech demo on June 11, 2007, at Apple's WWDC, and was officially announced on August 2, 2007, at QuakeCon...

...Rage is id Software's new game franchise, built entirely on the company's latest proprietary engine, id Tech 5. Not much is known about the game itself, except that it takes place on an Earth recovering from an asteroid impact which has produced a post-apocalyptic wasteland environment.

You play as a member from an Ark (a world wide plan to take scientists, and other significant people, and freeze them underground in cryo-pods and have them rebuild Earth) but then you come to realize that your Ark malfunctioned and you are the only survivor.

Apparently this environment is perfectly suited to the rough-and-tumble dune buggy racing seen in games like MotorStorm, as this sort of gameplay will be an important feature of Rage. Players will have the ability to augment their cars with various items and upgrades they can gain by completing races, but the game is not specifically a racing title, as available trailers of the game have shown some first-person shooter content as well.

The game will also feature some RPG elements -- an inventory system and the capabilities of weapons will be based around types of ammo. Whether or not there will be weapon customization or not is not known. More on the RPG elements have not been detailed.

At E3, Tim Willits stated that at the game's core is a first person shooter with car-combat added in and without the racing being the sole and central focal point.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on July 27, 2010, 07:11:13 PM

The only problem I thought of is that it looks exactly like a cross between Borderlands and Fallout 3, with a bit more vehicle combat.  To me at least.

i think thats exactly what it is but looking a lot nicer as well,which i why i am very excited for this title,unfortunately its been delayed to 2011..but thats not too bad(at least at the moment)...the Xbox 360 version will also be on 2 discs(it was said to be 4 discs at one time)

good to know that you are up for this Myto....i can taste Borderlands Vehicle action again icon_wink

i may of posted this someplace else on here,can't remember,but these are some must see videos(the Xbox 360 build apparently)

4 videos just a few minutes each

the enemies look quite unpredictable

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22778/Rage-Media-Load/

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »

The best thing about Rage is that hopefully Bethesda will implement the technology into future Fallout and  Elder Scrolls releases.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »

The video game... As opposed to what?  icon_biggrin

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 27, 2010, 11:37:54 PM

roid rage?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 01:05:45 AM

roid rage?

Nerd Rage!  mad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:11:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 28, 2010, 01:06:38 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 28, 2010, 01:05:45 AM

roid rage?

Nerd Rage!  mad

indeed.

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »

Wow, that is bizarre, CeeKay - but people do act bizarrely sometimes a lot.  When I titled the thread, I was playing off of the controller-throwing rage that people feel when being totally frustrated by a game.  But they are still games, as in entertainment - there should be no real need for stabbing.  Unless, of course, your name is Stabbety (or was it Stabbity) - now let's see if Purge is following this thread, lmao.   ninja

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 27, 2010, 10:52:51 PM

The best thing about Rage is that hopefully Bethesda will implement the technology into future Fallout and  Elder Scrolls releases.

Oh, yeah you are so right - if it's as good as it's looking like it might be, I'd love me some Elder Scrolls and Fallout done with it.  Not that there was anything wrong with either of those, but any improvements would just push them into the "beyond spectacular" range.

Metal, thanks for those video links - I'll have to check them out tomorrow because loud noises at 2:30 AM tend to disturb other folks, and I'd like to hear the sound effects and music.  As to who drives and who guns... it would depend on whether they changed the control scheme for driving.  I finally figured it out in Borderlands, but if they change it at all, well - sad to say, I'll have to be the gunner.  Good luck, lmao.   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »

XBW360 have previewed this,saying its one of the best looking games for the Xbox,however it does lack in the brains department.....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258993

But if you thought a gameworld like this might be short on eye candy, you're dead wrong. Because if you only take one thing away from id's eyes-on showing at E3, let it be this: it is an absolute technical beast. We're used to developers squeezing unbelievable performance out of the ageing 360 due to its developer friendly set-up, but id's Tech 5 engine has managed to wring Ol' Greeneye (as we never call it) of every last drop of graphical splendour.

But our fear with RAGE at this early stage? That it lacks the brains to match its drop-jaw beauty. id's previous big hitters - Doom 3 and Quake 4 - were criticised in some quarters for merely presenting a prettier version of the corridor shooters that came before it. There are shades of this when RAGE blocks off the open world and gets a bit linear.

but as CVG say:

Ultimately though it sounds like XBW doesn't mind a bit of the same old, same old when it comes to an id FPS:

'If RAGE is little more than a loud recap of ten years of first-person shooting evolution, then who better to pay homage to the genre than the developers who nigh-on invented it?'

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:57:40 PM »

GameTrailers gave Rage their Game of the Show award at E3, so there's got to be something good to this title. smile
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 07, 2010, 09:57:40 PM

GameTrailers gave Rage their Game of the Show award at E3, so there's got to be something good to this title. smile

well XBW360 magazine are implying that the game may become a bit stale for not bringing anything new to the table...i think the fact that's its a FPS and racing game is new enough,especially as there are 1001 other FPS titles out there,that could all be accused of the same thing

and as i said in the post with the Teamxbox videos,the enemies look very unpredictable instead of just running at you or taking cover,these are all over the place,and look like a challenge

i am in day one for this..i decided that when i first heard about it....only a few times have i been dissuaded before,when i have decided that for other games

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 07:27:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 07, 2010, 09:13:43 PM

XBW360 have previewed this,saying its one of the best looking games for the Xbox,however it does lack in the brains department.....

Ha-ha, perfect - I like a game that caters to my specialty!  But really, aren't we all just playing the same games over and over, in a way?  You can shoot, you can jump, you can drive, you can collect stuff, die, live, level... etc., etc., etc.  I enjoyed Quake a lot (what was it, 3, 4?  the most recent for the 360), maybe because I didn't expect it to deliver the world on a platter.  It was fun, challenging, edgy, even scary occasionally.  When I want a "change" in gaming, I just go to a genre I haven't played for awhile.  Seeing as how I've been on a long RPG kick, I suspect I will be more than ready for Rage - nothing like an FPS to help you rest your palette from JRPGs, lol.

And it's Bethesda!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »

Bethesda are just publishing it.....they also published Rogue Warrior,so ...er..yeah ninja
(kinda like how Square Enix published Nier,but didn't develop it) icon_biggrin

Id who are developing the game,their last game i think was Wolfenstein(or the Doom 2 XBLA game if you wanna get picky)...which the single player i quite enjoyed(the MP was done by another studio)

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2010, 10:08:23 PM

Id who are developing the game,their last game i think was Wolfenstein(or the Doom 2 XBLA game if you wanna get picky)...which the single player i quite enjoyed(the MP was done by another studio)

Nope, the new Wolfenstein was made by Raven Software (with Threewave Software doing some additional multiplayer development).  The last game that id Software fully developed (that wasn't an XBLA/iPhone/etc rehash) was Doom 3 in 2004.  And that was a pretty mediocre game in itself.

I continue to be baffled that people think this game looks interesting.  I'm sure it will look nice, but I fail to see the originality.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 01:49:12 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 09, 2010, 01:00:17 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 08, 2010, 10:08:23 PM

Nope, the new Wolfenstein was made by Raven Software (with Threewave Software doing some additional multiplayer development).  The last game that id Software fully developed (that wasn't an XBLA/iPhone/etc rehash) was Doom 3 in 2004.  And that was a pretty mediocre game in itself.

ahh the wiki site for it said that Endrant did the MP,while Raven,Id and PI studios did the single player using a heavily modified Id tech 4 engine(unless what it was was PI and Raven used Ids engine and that's where the credit for Id came from)

but Wiki continues to deceive me from time to time,so anything could be true...i did know there were separate developers for the MP and SP,kinda like the upcoming MoH

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 09, 2010, 01:00:17 AM

I continue to be baffled that people think this game looks interesting.  I'm sure it will look nice, but I fail to see the originality.

are you not interested in the game because you don't think it will be original?...as said,surely it can't be the only game accused of this,that has at least gone on to be enjoyable

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »

?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 06:10:15 AM »

It sounds interesting, but I get the impression any RPG elements will be very lite - won't even be surprised if just ends up being a simple skills matrix. A postapocalyptic wasteland with vault ark sounds quite uninspiring for a story line, considering how much that type of setting has been thoroughly trampled now. Oh well it's id - expecting a story with any sort of depth would be foolish and naive at best.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 09, 2010, 06:10:15 AM

It sounds interesting, but I get the impression any RPG elements will be very lite - won't even be surprised if just ends up being a simple skills matrix. A postapocalyptic wasteland with vault ark sounds quite uninspiring for a story line, considering how much that type of setting has been thoroughly trampled now. Oh well it's id - expecting a story with any sort of depth would be foolish and naive at best.

I'm actually not sure if I will like it at all - it depends on how much driving skill is required and for what percentage of the game it is part of.  Still, I'm a bit tired of the whole rag-doll graphics thing, which is great at times, and really goofy at other times.  If this new engine delivers what they promise, I might get the game, though I won't be expecting the story and gameplay to be much different than Borderlands/ Fallout 3 ( and that is not a Bad Thing!)  I still say that if originality was the only parameter, we'd all be in trouble.  It would be somewhat like expecting "Action Movie #6" to be much more original than "Action Movie #7" - but you can still enjoy them if you like the genre.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on August 10, 2010, 02:48:19 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 09, 2010, 06:10:15 AM

I'm actually not sure if I will like it at all - it depends on how much driving skill is required and for what percentage of the game it is part of.  Still, I'm a bit tired of the whole rag-doll graphics thing, which is great at times, and really goofy at other times.  If this new engine delivers what they promise, I might get the game, though I won't be expecting the story and gameplay to be much different than Borderlands/ Fallout 3 ( and that is not a Bad Thing!)  I still say that if originality was the only parameter, we'd all be in trouble.  It would be somewhat like expecting "Action Movie #6" to be much more original than "Action Movie #7" - but you can still enjoy them if you like the genre.

icon_razz

I think a story even approaching the caliber of Borderlands -which IMO is just passable- would be a giant leap forward for id.  They even went as far as hiring a writer for Doom3 and look what we got - story telling definitely doesn't seem to be in their deck of cards. Their other cards are all good though and I can definitely see myself renting this. As others have said, I think the real payoff for this be will what other 3rd party dev's can build with the new engine.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:58:22 AM »

well,this is a surprise,and not a nice one

Rage wont be out until September ...2011

http://kotaku.com/5612523/rage-finally-has-a-date

The PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game will ship in North America on September 13, 2011. Europe will get it just two days later on September 15, 2011.

over a year to go crybaby

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 02:08:21 AM »

It wasn't going to be 2010 for sure, but I was expecting it a little sooner in the year.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 02:10:04 AM »

Yeah, I got all excited when I read about it until I realized it wasn't 2011 yet.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »

Wanna know what's also weird? Id Tech 5 will only be licensed to Bethesda developed or partnered games. Well, at least the next Elder Scrolls game will get a decent engine.

Leads me to think that Id fell victim of of its own glut and had to sell to Zenimax, who was looking at the time. Id usually made a lot of money from engine licensing, but looks like they got hit with their pants down with all the strong competitors, and Carmack losing a lot of money on his aerospace ventures. I can't see a company choosing deliberately to lose such a lucrative market in the past.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 14, 2010, 12:13:29 PM

Wanna know what's also weird? Id Tech 5 will only be licensed to Bethesda developed or partnered games. Well, at least the next Elder Scrolls game will get a decent engine.

Leads me to think that Id fell victim of of its own glut and had to sell to Zenimax, who was looking at the time. Id usually made a lot of money from engine licensing, but looks like they got hit with their pants down with all the strong competitors, and Carmack losing a lot of money on his aerospace ventures. I can't see a company choosing deliberately to lose such a lucrative market in the past.

It may be a very lucrative market if you can support it, but that support takes a lot of time, money and engineers.  In this day and age licensing middleware needs to have a team to concentrate on that task alone, publishers don't want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for something that has no support.

In recent years id hasn't been a huge licensor of it's engines anyway, and most of those have gone to companies that had already worked with previous versions. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »

They've been losing ground to the unreal engine for years in any case. Quite a contrast from post doom 3 and seeing a lot of games built using engine 4.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »

Well, Id previously got by on engine sales without supporting said engines. But Unreal, as good competition does, upped the ante by providing unprecedented amounts of support for their engines, and a comparable feature set.

The really sad thing is, I think the megatexture tech in id tech 5 is actually really good and would enable even more interesting artistic designs for games that use it. It basically allows a developer to texture things pretty much like high end CG studios do, everything with basically unique textures. This means mappers aren't restrained as much by texture tiling and seams, or complicated blending procedures.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 01:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 14, 2010, 12:13:29 PM

http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1112464p1.html

"Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard explained in a separate interview with IGN that his game would not use id Tech 5. The studio's new engine built for its upcoming title is more beneficial to creating huge, open-world games, such as Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, while id Tech 5 is better for more contained environments."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »

delayed until October

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:12 PM »

Amazon finally added release day delivery on this one. Also:

Pre-order Rage and get upgraded to the Anarchy Edition, which includes four in-game unlocks; Double Barrel Shotgun, Crimson Elite Armor, Fists of Rage, and Rat Rod Buggy. Access code will be packaged inside the game box. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »

I am having trouble deciding between PC or PS3..  ugh

I like FPS on the console, but man something about  ID and the PC just go together..
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on August 03, 2011, 11:38:20 AM

I am having trouble deciding between PC or PS3..  ugh

I like FPS on the console, but man something about  ID and the PC just go together..

if it helps, the PC version is suuposed to ship with full modding tools.

Because I can,
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 03:11:53 PM »

looks like I will be needing a larger HDD than my current 20gb model offers if I want to play Rage:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/314526/rage-360-all-or-nothing-install-is-kind-of-unfortunate-carmack/

eek crybaby

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »

lol, 20gb slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 08, 2011, 03:15:01 PM

lol, 20gb slywink

n00bs.

Because I can,
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2011, 03:17:47 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 08, 2011, 03:15:01 PM

lol, 20gb slywink

n00bs.

wankers!!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »

I usually install all when i was playing Lost Odyssey or L.A.Noire

I don't actually understand why you can't install one disc at a time,as that is all you can have in the disc drive at the time,but either way i am fine with installing all

and the 20gig HDDs for the 360 are only actually 13 gig(MS hold 20gig(EDIT;sorry 7 gig i meant) back because of updates and shit),so i am surprised you have not needed a bigger HDD already Roman,unless you have just got into 360 gaming
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:32:43 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »

nah I have been at it for years. I have about 5-6gb free as we speak. I don't install games and I delete the old stuff on a regular basis.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »

Yeah, I was still rolling with my original 20GB up until I got one of the new black 360/Kinect bundles a couple months back.  And I guess I still have never installed a game to the hard drive, but at least now I don't have to delete half my content just to download one Zune movie.  slywink

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »

When asked about the possibility of Rage showing up on the Nintendo Wii after the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 versions arrive in October, id Softwares co-owner and president Todd Hollenshead let loose with this gem of a comment: We're not doing a crappy version of Rage on the Wii.

icon_biggrin

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »

Want everything in the single player?...better buy it brand new then disgust

GameInformer

By now, gamers are getting accustomed to online passes for games, which give players access to early access to DLC, additional content, or even multiplayer modes. Publishers see it as a way to encourage players to pick up new copies of their games, as opposed to purchasing them on the secondary market. The upcoming shooter Rage has a similar strategy, but it's been woven into the single-player campaign.

As players explore the game's massive wastelands in id's upcoming shooter, they may come across some mysterious hatches that dot the landscape. How can you open them? Well, that's where the code that's bundled in with new copies of the game comes into play.

"If you bought the game new, [those hatches] would be open for you," says id's creative director, Tim Willits in an interview with Eurogamer. "You still have to download it, but you don't have to pay for it. Those hatches are all over. Most people never find them. But as soon as you do, you're like, oh. And then you start to look for it. That's our first-time buyer incentive.

"But as you can tell, most people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won't. I think that's fair. It's cool. It's outside the main path. We're not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can't avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject."

Still annoying and getting a little out of hand this Brand new Vs Pre-owned war
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:05:20 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: