http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RAGE (id Software)  (Read 586 times)
Crawley
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:56 AM »

I looked around for a previous thread on this game but couldn't find one here. Plenty of other topic with "rage" in them though.

Anyhow I decided to dig this out of my Steam pile and start playing again. I played briefly when it first went on sale a few years ago. But it seemed a bit late to the post-apocalyptic party with Fallout and Borderlands taking up my time. Plus the technology iD used, the MegaTexture tech, didn't work very well. You would get texture draw in any time you turned left or right. Or it wouldn't draw in correctly and you would see a clump of low-res textures surrounded by hi-res textures. Which is the experience I had.

So that left the gameplay which after about 40 minutes seemed like a typical shooter.

But now on my second go-around I've played it for about 3hrs now and I gotta say this game is pretty good. The combat is better than I remember where guys who charge at you just don't come straight at you, they'll jump off furniture or walls or duck down as you aim towards them. Its actually kinda neat. The weapons feel real nice too - the shotgun in particular. But also this boomerang weapon that is just a hell of a lot of fun to use. The driving portions are not as bad as I recall and I've done a few races where you can gain points to upgrade your vehicle and the races are actually kinda fun too. Plus some of the missions are fun. I just got done going to this crazy guys TV station where he ran me through a bunch of arena style battles which were actually quite fun with the crazy theme he had going there.

And the game doesn't look half bad. Its not jaw dropping good looking but its still more than decent. I still see a bit of that texture draw in from time-to-time but its for a split second. Basically that technology doesn't work very well.

So if you're digging through your steam pile looking for a shooter then this one is worth checking out again.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »

OK, it's now on my Steam wishlist  icon_biggrin

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:34:13 AM »

Rage - Maybe Not As Bad As You Remember™

slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 05:40:32 AM »

It was never bad. It was a very competent shooter, with its major drawbacks being that it was developed by id Software (creating huge expectations) and that it didn't feel very inspired. For those who like shooters, Rage should be a must-play. There's no other shooter out there, that I'm aware of, where you have to contend with enemies that dodge and weave, jump and roll, and use terrain for all it's worth.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »

Actually, there are many shooters that do this now. Even Borderlands 2 did dodges, and enemies in shooters have been using cover for a long time.

Even if Id hadn't made RAGE, it'd still be considered a mediocre to bad game that looked good.

Boring world, boring characters, boring plot, boring vehicles.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 14, 2014, 09:38:26 AM

Actually, there are many shooters that do this now. Even Borderlands 2 did dodges, and enemies in shooters have been using cover for a long time.

I'm not talking about use of cover. I'm talking about stuff like bouncing off walls and furniture to gain speed and unpredictability, rolling under things, swinging from ceilings, and so on. You don't see that outside of scripted sequences in other games.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »

FEAR 1-3 did this, heck, the enemies in FEAR 1 would move stuff to create cover, and one type of enemy would monkey all over. I recall a few others as well. Half-Life 1's ninjas women were kind of the start of this kind of thing. The main thing RAGE does well is the animation of it, but it's still the same system as other games have used, and another key thing is that they're still just using it to run straight at you to attack you in melee. The system basically uses trigger locations, RAGE just happens to have more and bigger trigger locations.

RAGE is the Daikatana of its time, the only difference is that its graphics happened to be good, and it had good basic shooting.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:14:06 PM by Turtle » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »

I enjoyed Rage (although wouldn't have cried if it didn't have the racing) and need to go back at some point and play the DLC.

It has one of the worst endings of all time, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »

I played through the entire game 2x..  And if I get a itch I would play it again.   I really like it, and I didn't get why it didn't become popular.

I sometimes would spend all night just playing the card game. And I loved the racing, I would play the races over till I maxxed out the points.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »

Played it recently on the PS3. Not as bad as it was made out to be. I would play a second one if they ever made it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

I could never get past the texture loading pop up every time you turned. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 14, 2014, 09:38:26 AM

Boring world, boring characters, boring plot, boring vehicles.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts about Rage.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 14, 2014, 06:22:37 PM

I could never get past the texture loading pop up every time you turned. 

I had read about that here, swore that I did not see it.  Then went hope and tried it, and I could see it.

Luckily I was able to re ignore it  and never noticed again.   Sometimes when you read about a problem on a game that you never noticed it can ruin it for you.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:19:46 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 14, 2014, 12:12:30 PM

FEAR 1-3 did this, heck, the enemies in FEAR 1 would move stuff to create cover, and one type of enemy would monkey all over. I recall a few others as well. Half-Life 1's ninjas women were kind of the start of this kind of thing. The main thing RAGE does well is the animation of it, but it's still the same system as other games have used, and another key thing is that they're still just using it to run straight at you to attack you in melee. The system basically uses trigger locations, RAGE just happens to have more and bigger trigger locations.

I dunno. I've played a bunch of shooters and It surprises me each time they come running at me. Regardless the technical explanation its something unexpected, feels fresh for shooter combat, and most importantly is fun to deal with - particularly when you anticipate their movement correctly and deliver a deadly shotgun blast.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »

What difference does it make for this game if the NPCs use trigger locations for their AI? These seem to be set up in every place where it would matter, so what do we gain by pointing out this little technical tidbit? Of course it uses trigger points. The enemies still behaved in ways you don't see in other games, and there was no predictability to it.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »

Too funny. I did the same thing a few weeks back. I love everything from id so whe Rage was announced I was stoked.
Played for close to 1/2 the game but got bored I guess and never went back.

Anyhoo - re bought for like $9 and played it through.
Graphics are great, loved the dodge mechanic from the baddies.
Shotgun was good yes - Ak not so much unless you have the super rare rounds.

I did forget just how much Fedex gameplay there was but it was ok.

Glad I replayed.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:58:31 AM »

Well I worked my way through the Scorchers DLC. That was actually pretty fun. The boss battle wasn't too bad either and had a pretty good death scene. In the main game I've moved on to the next major town which actually looks pretty nice compared to the first major town. Kinda sad there isn't going to be another game in this series or more DLC.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »

I liked Rage when it first released. But the texture's popping in and out, and other graphical stuff, I just put it on the shelf.
I now hear there is a fix for the texture problems in Rage-PC. Anyone have any experience with the fix.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 06:53:59 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on February 17, 2014, 03:31:40 PM

I liked Rage when it first released. But the texture's popping in and out, and other graphical stuff, I just put it on the shelf.
I now hear there is a fix for the texture problems in Rage-PC. Anyone have any experience with the fix.

I haven't used the fix but the problem seems less of an issue now. You'll still see the texture fill in for a split second or two, particularly when you enter a new open area and turn left/right. But after the initial time it occurs I rarely notice it after in the same level. For the enclosed area, which most of the on-foot portion of the game is in, you don't see it at all. So for me its less of a distraction than it initially was. But it still happens which tells me the technology is not a good one to use for games - at least this one.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »

I loved RAGE, I thoroughly enjoyed playing through it. You all just reminded me that I bought the Scorchers DLC a while back but haven't touched it yet... time to reinstall the game!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on February 17, 2014, 06:53:59 PM

Quote from: Arclight on February 17, 2014, 03:31:40 PM

I haven't used the fix but the problem seems less of an issue now. You'll still see the texture fill in for a split second or two, particularly when you enter a new open area and turn left/right. But after the initial time it occurs I rarely notice it after in the same level. For the enclosed area, which most of the on-foot portion of the game is in, you don't see it at all. So for me its less of a distraction than it initially was. But it still happens which tells me the technology is not a good one to use for games - at least this one.

Thanks. I just read somewhere that one of the patches addressed the issue to some degree.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 03:11:57 AM »

Well I finished it. Wow, the talk about the game just ending were true. It kinda took me by surprise. The game was moving along just fine with some interesting missions when all of a sudden areas in town became blocked off and the focus changed squarely on the main plot. Two or three missions later it was over. It certainly seemed like stuff got cut. And that's unfortunate since I really enjoyed the game. The battles were a lot of fun with the AI behavior spicing things up, the weapons were great, and I even like the setting and the characters. And on top of that the spider bots you could manufacture and spawn in battles are the best pets ever. Those suckers were relentless against the AI - climbing over everything, doing a good amount of damage with their weapons, and even mixing it up in melee battles. Great stuff seeing two of those guys work during the frays.

So big thumbs up on this game from me even with the game ending abruptly. It was a nice surprise to a game I went back to playing on a whim.
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 03:40:40 AM »

I was hoping for a big boss battle at the end. Nope. Just waves of one type of enemy. It did feel like they lost thei vigor at the end and just 'mailed it in'.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: