http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 11:38:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiant Historia [DS] radiates  (Read 2029 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »

Couldn't find a thread--apparently my search skills suck or EddieA is asleep at the wheel. I'm about three hours into this rpg and I'm diggin it so far. The combat has a couple of neat twists to it. First, enemies are on a 3x3 grid and different skills can push them on the grid. Stack them up and you can hit multiple foes at one time. Also, your characters can swap positions in the attack order with each other or with enemies, allowing you to set up combos. Story is interesting enough so far, with parallel timelines you have to explore. Facing a dead end in one timeline may necessitate entering the other in order to fix the problem. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »

I've been meaning to make an impressions thread for this since I got it, but between other games and being sick for a few weeks, I never got around to it.  I've put about seven hours in, and it has the potential to be one of the best RPG on the DS.  The time-travelling storyline is unique and intriguing, the characters aren't your typical RPG cliches, and the battle system is excellent and helps make each battle different from the last.  The game is already really good, and from what I've read, it only gets better as it goes.  If you're an RPG fan, I highly recommend it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »

This is the first combat system in an rpg that I've found to be remotely engaging since I played Enchanted Arms.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:45:19 AM »

Everything I've read about the game makes it sound amazing.  Even the most jaded JRPG players seem to be loving the game.  I'm looking forward to starting it once I finish Tactics Ogre.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:02:31 AM »

I picked this up last week, but got too caught up with Pokemon and Okamiden to even put it in!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »

Ditto.  This one seems to have gotten rare really fast, at least in my neck of the woods, so I'm glad I have my copy waiting for when I'm ready.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »

Damn...knew I should have grabbed this one when I had the chance. Looks like it's pretty well sold out everywhere already.  frown

Too much stuff coming out all at once lately.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

Awesome game. I'm especially happy that the protagonist is an actual competent, level-headed adult.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:46 AM »

After poking my head into this thread, I decided to get this.  I pulled up the game on Gamestop's web site and found locations that showed it in stock and went out there to get it.  Not sure when I will have time to get involved in it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:41:56 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 16, 2011, 01:59:46 AM

After poking my head into this thread, I decided to get this.  I pulled up the game on Gamestop's web site and found locations that showed it in stock and went out there to get it.  Not sure when I will have time to get involved in it.

Ditto... snagged the last copy at a Gamestop near where I work.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »

I'm about 8 hours in at this point and seem to have barely made a dent in the game. Even given how slow I am, I'm guessing there's a good 40-60 hours here on average. The story is engaging enough and still having fun with the combat. They've added in some wrinkles that make you stop and think about how to approach a fight sometimes, which is just what I want in a game. It's also of note that this is NOT the sort of game where you never need to use your special skills/abilities. I never use the auto-combat except at the tail end of fights.

Here's a tip. Not only can you press X to speed through dialogue, you can also skip scenes entirely by pressing Start--handy when time traveling.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 04:46:32 PM »

I'm really surprised more people aren't talking about this. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite RPGs on the system. I'm at 15 hours at this point, in chapter 3 of both storylines. Speaking of story, instead of starting lame and getting worse like most RPGs, this one is actually building and getting more intriguing as we go.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 21, 2011, 04:46:32 PM

I'm really surprised more people aren't talking about this. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite RPGs on the system. I'm at 15 hours at this point, in chapter 3 of both storylines. Speaking of story, instead of starting lame and getting worse like most RPGs, this one is actually building and getting more intriguing as we go.

It's because if you didn't buy it on release day, you don't have a copy.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 21, 2011, 04:58:28 PM

Quote from: Misguided on March 21, 2011, 04:46:32 PM

It's because if you didn't buy it on release day, you don't have a copy.

That's often true of Atlus stuff. I was on the other side of the country because my dad was sick. I stopped in at the store where I used to work and saw it on the shelf there. I remembered having read something about it and decided to pick up something to play while sitting around the hospital. Guess I was lucky to find it (and that my dad is doing better too smile ).

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »

I've started playing it. I really like it so far as well. The whole changing history mechanic is going to be awesome. I'm not sold on the combat yet, but it is early.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 06:49:33 PM »

I want this game but am not willing to go to too much trouble to get it.  I hope they produce another batch.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »

I heard there will be a second printing in the next couple of weeks but it will likely be very limited.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »

I got it off Amazon.  I paid a bit more than average but I haven't bought a game for a long time (I use Gamefly almost all the time anymore) so I treated myself.

Now I just have to find time to play it!

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:29 PM »

20-21 hours in (chapter 4). I finally hit a boss fight that was kicking my tail. I think this was largely due to me avoiding encounters frequently of late. Some areas are more annoying to fight in because of the various status effects inflicted by the baddies there. So I found a little spot to do a teeny bit of grinding to make up for it then hopefully go back and wreck that guy.

The story is really good, the DS RPGs with a story of this quality comprise a really small group, IMO.

Some random tips:

Save your poison wings when you find them. I don't think you can buy them until chapter 4, and they come in very handy when Stocke has to engage in a boss fight on his own. Poison can be very powerful in this game.

Aht may seem week, but her traps can do insane amounts of damage and build your combo meter in a hurry if you are pushing multiple mobs around.

Generally speaking, abilities and items that alter defense or attack seem to be really powerful.

Don't forget you can guard! I am starting to find it useful in certain situations, such as when an enemy is powered up.

Use Steal. I've never played a game where the ability to steal items was worth using, but it definitely is here, particularly against bosses. If you use steal on a stack of enemies, it will steal from all of them.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on March 23, 2011, 09:16:29 PM

Save your poison wings when you find them. I don't think you can buy them until chapter 4, and they come in very handy when Stocke has to engage in a boss fight on his own. Poison can be very powerful in this game.

Pretty sure I saw them in Chapter 1.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 23, 2011, 11:47:25 PM

Pretty sure I saw them in Chapter 1.

Entirely possible. I didn't pay that much attention to buying potions and such earlier on. They start to become important later. The first thing I really needed was tea for getting MP back.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

I picked this up at lunch today. I had to drive 20 miles each way for the closest Gamestop with a copy. The guy said it was the only copy they got in. I went online last night and had that particular store hold the copy until I picked it up today.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 05:48:54 PM »

Cool. Hope you enjoy it. I haven't played in a couple of days, because I've been prepping for an interview.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »

Wow!!!  I'm very impressed so far.

I'm still early on (Chapter 1, but off to a good start on both timelines) and my party just hit level 12, but it has been a long time since a game has sunk its hooks in me so quickly.

I can't wait to play more.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »

My DS time has been derailed by my iPad, but I do plan to get back to it. It gets better as it goes from what I've seen.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

I'm into chapter 3 on both timelines now and the game is still great. It's a bit hard keeping track of which events happened in which timeline, but a quick reading of the summaries in the timeline helps with the memory.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

If anyone has been frustrated by the short supply of this game, Amazon is currently listing Radiant Historia as in stock.

-Autistic Angel
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 13, 2011, 08:33:11 PM

If anyone has been frustrated by the short supply of this game, Amazon is currently listing Radiant Historia as in stock.

-Autistic Angel

If you haven't bought this yet, and enjoy RPGs then definitely pick it up while you can. The print run is limited and it really is a great game. It's a fresh and modernized approach to the old school RPG formula. People keep comparing it to Chrono Trigger, but honestly I'm enjoying Radiant Historia a lot more than my recent play through of Chrono Trigger. The story is much deeper and more fleshed out, the characters are actually competent and the battle system is much better.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »

Comparisons to Chrono Trigger definitely have me more interested in this now.  Supposedly the gamestop nearby has some in stock, going to do some trade ins and try to pick it up. 

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »

I received my copy from Amazon a few days ago (no soundtrack CD with the reprint though).  I think Newegg has restocked it as well.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 01:15:49 AM »

If it makes you feel better it was only a few audio tracks anyway, not a full soundtrack.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 16, 2011, 01:15:49 AM

If it makes you feel better it was only a few audio tracks anyway, not a full soundtrack.

Yah, that was a little bit of a bummer. Some very nice 'Piano Selections' (all of five) but nothing like a soundtrack.  icon_frown

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »

-Autistic Angel

And it should go on sale on Monday as part of an Atlus Gold Box event.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 01:39:28 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on April 16, 2011, 01:05:13 PM

-Autistic Angel

If it does, I'll be mighty annoyed since I just got a copy from them.   crybaby

Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 16, 2011, 01:15:49 AM

Yea, I'm not worried about it.  I'd probably never even listen to it.  It's a rainy day here so I'm hoping to crack into the game tonight.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 03:19:50 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 16, 2011, 01:39:28 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on April 16, 2011, 01:05:13 PM

-Autistic Angel

There's a picture of the case in the ad, so I think it's pretty likely.  icon_biggrin

If it does, I'll be mighty annoyed since I just got a copy from them.   crybaby
Freezer-TPF-

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

I only had about an hour to play with it last night so it was mostly some reading and a few battles.  Early impressions are that I dig the music and the combat system has potential.  I was half asleep when playing, but it seemed the idea was to use your first two characters to push the enemies around and try to stack 2-3 of them up so the third character can damage the whole stack.  Changing the order of battle can put your guys in the right order for optimal stacking moves.  I'm sure it gets more complex with future skills, but is that the basic concept?  Stack and whack?  icon_biggrin

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

I just don't know if I "get" how to play this game.  I am at a point in one history where I can't seem to go forward but what do I do just go back to previous points and wander around and hope something happens?  This seems a little vague to me.  Maybe I am just not getting the game groove yet.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 18, 2011, 09:03:04 PM

I just don't know if I "get" how to play this game.  I am at a point in one history where I can't seem to go forward but what do I do just go back to previous points and wander around and hope something happens?  This seems a little vague to me.  Maybe I am just not getting the game groove yet.

You can go back to all these main branches of time.  There is a map showing decisions you made and you will see things branch from there.  What you probably need to do is go back to a point in time and make a difference choice (do you remember a conversation prior where you had two choices to make?....make the other choice).

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 04:42:34 AM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on April 18, 2011, 08:45:49 PM

I'm sure it gets more complex with future skills, but is that the basic concept?  Stack and whack?  icon_biggrin

Yup!

Farley, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what you need to do, whether it is replaying a recent decision on the same timeline or hopping to the other one. Did you get a visit from the two peeps at the point where you ot stuck? They'll generally give you an idea. If you picked a bad choice on the same timeline, it usually leads to an ending, then you go back to the other choice. Or it may be you can't proceed until you change something in the other history. What happens in one affects the other, and that should make more sense as you go.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: