http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:17:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quirky Gaming Habits?  (Read 1930 times)
Starshifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2005, 04:15:16 PM »

I'm curious to know what kind of weird gaming habits you may have.  I've thought of this because I have several that annoy the hell out of me.  Like a bad habit I can't break them.

• I can't play a new game until I read the manual at least twice.
  • I will buy a new game and not even play it for several days or weeks (I want the anticipation to continue)  Ex. - Jade Empire.  I've had it for almost 2 weeks now and have not put it in the Xbox yet to even see it.  I did this with Halo2 & KOTOR2 as well.
  • I can't sit down to play any game unless the room is clean and I have no pressing needs to take care of.
  • I cannot play sports games during their off seasons (i.e. can't play hockey during the summer & baseball in the winter)
  • I must have a cold glass of ice water with me when playing sports games.
  • I can only play RPGs (i.e. KOTOR-type games) at night!
  • I normally enjoy buying a game & reading the manual compared to actually playing the game!
  • I can't play fighting-type games (i.e. Soul Calibur, DOA3 etc.) unless I work out.
Can anyone rival these oddities???

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:19:24 PM »

* I can't play a new game until I read the manual at least twice.

Wait..these things have manuals?!

* I will buy a new game and not even play it for several days or weeks (I want the anticipation to continue) Ex. - Jade Empire. I've had it for almost 2 weeks now and have not put it in the Xbox yet to even see it. I did this with Halo2 & KOTOR2 as well.

I'm trying to figure out a safe way to play them on the way home from the store...I'm an instant gratification freak.

* I can't sit down to play any game unless the room is clean and I have no pressing needs to take care of.

I do this as well.  Gotta have my game-space clear of distractions and nagging stuff to do.

* I cannot play sports games during their off seasons (i.e. can't play hockey during the summer & baseball in the winter)

Not a sports fan really so I can play them when I need to.  

* I must have a cold glass of ice water with me when playing sports games.

Come to think of it, I usually don't have anything to drink.  Strange...

* I can only play RPGs (i.e. KOTOR-type games) at night!

You are missing out on many hours of RPG love my friend...

* I normally enjoy buying a game & reading the manual compared to actually playing the game!

If the manual was Baldur's Gate II or Fallout then I might agree that the manual was great, but I love the games more than the print.

* I can't play fighting-type games (i.e. Soul Calibur, DOA3 etc.) unless I work out.

I usually go hit the bag or practice forms afterwards. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 04:28:15 PM »

I spend more time reading about games then actually playing them.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 05:50:34 PM »

I tend to not like having nagging distractions as well when I've gamed extensively, but recently I'm more into burning through my DVD collection than gaming. I started up Half-Life 2 again this weekend, but I'm sooo close to finishing FarScape finally that I consider that my priority for the time being. Otherwise, I like having something to drink whenever I play.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 06:02:37 PM »

I don't know if this is quirky or not, but I generally have to be in a darkened room to play games.  I can play them with the shade open, but somewhere along the line the sun is going to hit the TV, so I generally play in darkened rooms.

I will also usually choose the game I am going to play by the amount of time I have during that sit-down.  I usually have a good idea of when I'm going to quit playing.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 06:06:23 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Quirky Gaming Habits?

I think you are confusing "Quirky" and just plain "Wierd"

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:30:06 PM »

Quiirky gaming habits...hrmm..  well.. how about I own over 200 PC /PS2/ Gamecube/Gameboy/Genesis/Nintendo/Dreamcast/N64 games.  I've finished..eight or ten of them.

Phantasy Star 4
Zelda: The Wind Waker,
Zelda - the gameboy color title (I forget the subtitle)
Skies of Arcadia,
Phantasy Star Online

and some others I can't remember right now.I usually only get to finish the review titles Ron sends me...and that's about it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 06:58:46 PM »

While playing scary games...if I get a jump or scared or something, I'll just run out of the room.  Ask Depward, he's seen it.

And instruction manuals...I always read these very carefully before I play.  I was a tad urked Chrsitian made me jump straight into Untold Legends with him before reading them.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 08:19:45 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
 * I can't play a new game until I read the manual at least twice.

Wait..these things have manuals?!

you know, for some reason, when i moved from pc gaming to console, i pretty much just flat-out stopped reading manuals, & i wonder if it's because that's how i'd kill time while installing?...

but, other than initially spending a somewhat disturbing amount of time wiping down my psp (i do it lots less now, honest!), can't think of any quirks...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 09:27:09 PM »

- I always need something cold to drink, preferably caffeinated.

- I need at least an hour set aside to play.  If I have less time than that, I just can't get myself to turn the console on.  Instead, I'll watch TV or something.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »

um, i wear absolutely nuthin from the waist down

nuthin...

except for a pair of black socks pulled up to my knees
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 11:49:58 PM »

I am a manual reader as well.  I may have been waitinf for my entire life to a play a game, but I have to read the manual before I boot it up.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 12:15:19 AM »

Like JayG, I read more about games than I play them.
I have purchased A LOT of games that I have never played.
I like to have the complete series, if possible.
I like the idea of playing games more than playing them.

Most of these simply have to do with not having enough time.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 02:50:08 AM »

Interesting topic.  I would have normally not thought that I had any quirks, but after thinking about it I guess I really do have issues...
  • I can rarely make continual progress in one or two games - I must be playing 6-7 different games in parallel, and I tend to never play more than one or two levels/areas/whatever in a given week.  Consequently, it takes me a few weeks to finish a set of games, but when I do I time it so I finish all 6-7 within the same week or two.
  • Similar to the above, I can't play the same console more than 2 days in a row, or the same handheld 2 days in a row.  I tend to have a Cube-Xbox-PS2 rotation for consoles, and a GBA-DS-PSP rotation going for handhelds.
  • The channel numbers on my four Wavebirds have to be set to prime numbers.
  • Whenever I set aside a night to play console games, I usually end up playing WoW.  When I set aside a night to play WoW, I usually end up playing console games.  Go figure.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 02:58:11 AM »

Preach on, Stiffler.  With my schedule now, it's a guilty pleasure if I get to read a review of God of War.  To think I might one day play it is a fantasy for a completely different part of my brain.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 03:08:20 AM »

I only play a little bit the first day or two. Even if it's a game I'm looking hugely forward to, it takes me a "go" or two to really get into the swing of things. Very rarely do I jump straight into a new game with a marathon session (recently, Republic Commando, KotOR I and II, a few others). The learning curve is proportional to the delay -- just a question of feeling comfortable with the game. Only really get stuck in when the interface is second nature.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 12:23:23 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I don't know if this is quirky or not, but I generally have to be in a darkened room to play games.  I can play them with the shade open, but somewhere along the line the sun is going to hit the TV, so I generally play in darkened rooms.

I will also usually choose the game I am going to play by the amount of time I have during that sit-down.  I usually have a good idea of when I'm going to quit playing.

Yes.  Two more that I live by that I forgot about, especially your second one.  For example, if I know I'm going to play KOTOR2 I have to have at least a few hours of time available (and it must be at night).  I think my night thing is because of the sun thing.

Quote from: "stiffler"
Like JayG, I read more about games than I play them.
I have purchased A LOT of games that I have never played.
I like to have the complete series, if possible.
I like the idea of playing games more than playing them.
Most of these simply have to do with not having enough time.

Me too!  I like the "idea" of playing vs. actually playing just like you.  I also think alot of us purchase many games and never complete them.  I'm big on a series too.  I can't play a sequel before the original if the stories are connected in any way.

XM Channel 76
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 05:18:03 AM »

- I never read the manual. I used to when I played pc games, but I think that was mostly just because I would sit there watching it load and just have nothing to do. The console games are a lot different and I usually like to just jump in and figure it out as I go. Kind of sucks in the long run because sometimes after I finish the game I will look at my manual and realize I missed some awsome feature. Oh well.

- I have to have my gaming area clean as well.

- I dont play a game much the first couple times I have it. Maybe 5 or ten minutes.

- I play around 6 to 10 games all at the same time. For example, right ow I am playing Resident Evil 4 (been playing it since it came back), Vice City, Katamari Damacy, Sims 2, Animal Crossing, Phantum Dust, Wipeout, Twisted Metal (PSP), Untold Legends, World Tour Soccer (PSP), Tony hawk (PSP). Unlike others here, I will probably only finish one of these. Maybe 2. I havnt played some of those games for 2 weeks or so, but still consider myself to be playing them. Every now and then I will get the urge to just push through and finish a game.

- I dont play games very much. I read about them a ton. Of those games Ive been playing the last 3 weeks or so, im only half way on one of them. most of them I am still in "training" on. Pretty much dont play much. I always think about playing, but just never get around to it. Seems to take too much energy.

- I have to have all of my controllers put away for all of my systems, and all of the games for each of them put away besides the ones im using at all times. Even if I know I will be getting it out later, it must be put away in its little drawer. And the area has to be dusted and the tv creen or pc screen has to be cleaned before I will play. Just cant stand dust on the screen.

- I have this wierd thing where I feel I need to balance my time out on all of my systems. Even if there is nothing I want for it, I will try and find something to play on it just so it gets used, even if just for a couple of minutes.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »

I guess we all have issues. We all probably buy more games that we really play.

Hey Starshifter, when was the last time you "SAW" Emergency? I have a feeling its a show better left in the 70s. I used to watch it all the time... but I used to watch the brady bunch too biggrin :wink:

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Hey Starshifter, when was the last time you "SAW" Emergency? I have a feeling its a show better left in the 70s. I used to watch it all the time... but I used to watch the brady bunch too biggrin :wink:

Oh Hank.  You got me started. :wink:   If there is something I am really passionate about it is Emergency.  I have about 30 episodes on VHS (taped while it was on TV Land awhile ago and a few ordered from Columbia House) and I still watch them regularly (usually before I go to bed), but lately I'm trying to hold off because I want to enjoy them in their full glory on DVD.  Just this past weekend I watched the two-hour pilot again.

No way this show should be left in the 70's.  If they can bring back such trash like Saved by the Bell or excellent 70's TV shows like A-Team, SWAT, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers and Wonder Woman, then WHY NOT EMERGENCY!!!!!  Emergency lasted for seven seasons and was hugely popular on NBC, and later in syndication.  Emergency was responsible for alot of people going into medical and EMS careers.  There have been petitions to Universal (they own the rights) and mention of it coming to DVD this year, but nothing has surfaced yet.  Everyday, even before I hit Console Gold, I immediately check tvshowsondvd.com to see if there is any news.  And everyday I get more and more disappointed.

Just so you know how passionate I am about it I use to have the Emergency board game, an Emergency lunchbox, and Squad & Engine 51 matchbox cars where I attended rescues and put out fires all around my house when I was a kid! :shock:

By the way, I still watch the Brady Bunch when I can catch it on TV Land. smile

XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 07:19:22 PM »

I'm big on a series too. I can't play a sequel before the original if the stories are connected in any way.

I have this problem *bad*.  If I hear that I will in any way get more out of a game by having played the previous then I will stop everything for an all-out search for that previous game.

Its this exact problem that today had me going to the only Gamestop in all of San Diego that had a copy of Koudelka, the poorly reviewed prequel to the Shadow Hearts games.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 12:44:34 AM »

I clean up my playing environment as well before playing any new game.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 12:02:34 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Its this exact problem that today had me going to the only Gamestop in all of San Diego that had a copy of Koudelka, the poorly reviewed prequel to the Shadow Hearts games.

I did the exact same thing!!!  I couldn't find Koudelka so I gave up on the Shadow Hearts series altogether.

By the way, another habit I noticed I have is that when I play sports games I can only play one game per day.  For example, when playing baseball if I have a three game series it will take me three days to play it.  Go figure.

XM Channel 76
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 02:40:45 PM »

I will buy a new game and not even play it for several days or weeks (I want the anticipation to continue)  Ex. - Jade Empire.  I've had it for almost 2 weeks now and have not put it in the Xbox yet to even see it.  I did this with Halo2 & KOTOR2 as well.

I do this too. Whats even worse is I will rush up to Blockbuster to rent a game on my gamepass the day it comes out.  Then have it sit there unplayed for a week.  I guess just knowing that it is sitting on my game shelf makes me feel better.

I can't sit down to play any game unless the room is clean and I have no pressing needs to take care of.

I only wish that was true for me.

I cannot play sports games during their off seasons (i.e. can't play hockey during the summer & baseball in the winter)

I play ESPN Football all year 'round.  I guess the great thing about the current state of hockey is that the season will never end, because it never started.

I normally enjoy buying a game & reading the manual compared to actually playing the game!

I have the same problem.  I get a bigger charge out of actually buying the game than I ever do out of playing it.  That is really sick.  :shock:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: