http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 09:52:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick PS2 Sound Question  (Read 561 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »

Does the PS2 do surround sound like the xbox (it hasn't arrived yet).

Separately, but equally important, is there such thing as an optical cable splitter?  What I want to be able to do is plug multiple optical cables into one splitter and then the splitter into the tuner.

Do they make such a thing?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »

90% of the time, games support Dolby Pro Logic or PLII which are analog surround sound standards and only need the traditional RCA cables to hook up.

The PS2 does support optical sound output but 5.1 sound is limited to DVD movies and some games that support 5.1 in cutscenes.  In game 5.1 audio is limited to a handful of titles that support DTS (Vice City and some EA games) and  I seem to remember that DTS in game isn't even full 5.1.

Bottom line- you only need to hook up an optical jack if you will use your PS2 as a standalone DVD player.  Otherwise you're fine with standard analog output.  

And they do sell splitters like you mention though I'm not sure I've ever seen one that does *just* audio.  Most splitters also split video signals too (composite, S-Video, and even component depending on the model).  For example I use a Pelican System Selector that will split all three video standards, optical and analog audio, and ethernet connections.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, the ps2 only does virtualzed surround (Dolby Prologic? can't remember) and not true DD or DTS as the xbox does. It's title specific, though; HDTVarcade would be a good place to look for specifics.

As for the cable.... I'm assuming you want the PS2 and Xbox both plugged in at the same time; you'll need an optical switch to select whats heading to your speakers. Most decent/high end receivers will do this, or you can pick up something such as the Pelican System Selector Pro (linky)which is what I have at home.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:16:03 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
For example I use a Pelican System Selector that will split all three video standards, optical and analog audio, and ethernet connections.

Pic/Link?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
For example I use a Pelican System Selector that will split all three video standards, optical and analog audio, and ethernet connections.

Pic/Link?

greeneggsham linked to the one I use.  It's worth noting that mine comes with a remote, something I'm not sure the first batch included.  Really happy with it and it works perfectly with my Logitech Harmony Remote.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:54:42 PM »

Go to www.pelicanacc.com and then click on Universal.  You'll then see the System Selector Pro.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: