http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick! DAZZLE me into buying a 360.  (Read 2034 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »

The Wii is out of the picture now, the PS3 is definately out.

So that leaves the 360, and I so DESPERATELY want to find reasons to BUY one.  I talked with my kids today more about it, and my son said "If it can play some of the older Xbox games I like, then it might be a wise choice".  So how is the backwards compatibility?

Are there any big KNOCKOUT games coming this holiday season?  Any Turn based stuff?  RPGs?   Anything that would smack me aside the face and demand I purchase it? Costco is running a $50.00 instant rebate on their Xbox360 packages starting next week. (according to hot chick electronics manager at my local one), so this offer is EXTREMELY tempting as it would put their premium mega-pack w/game down to the $399ish range.

Sell me on the 360 without me having to filter through 200,000 web pages of fanboy nonsense.. Please, I beg you, or this Xmas will be sorely lacking any big-ticket knock out item for the kids.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »

If you need someone to convince you to buy a gaming system, save your money. 

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:49:35 PM »

The future line up for 360 looks very hot.  If there was no Wii I'd most likely be getting one once they square away all the failure problems. That said, a few years from now I might invest (as I did with the original X).

Hopefully this thread's just a way to get some discussion going as if you've been here any length of time, you should know the pros and cons of the system.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:04:05 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 25, 2006, 09:25:21 PM

The Wii is out of the picture now

It is?

I have a 360 and I enjoy the crap out of it.  The games I have gotten have been very good and I really like the wholoe XBox Live integration for online gaming.  I think there are a number of games out right now that make it worth purchasing, but I would assume they are not up your alley or you would own a 360 already.  Games like Lost Planet, Gears of War, and these new Japanese RPGs which are hopefully coming to the U.S. will definitely make the 360 a good choice if you don't already think so.  Also, all the media integration on the 360 gets a lot of use.  I stream all my MP3s over from my computer while playing games and I just used the 360 as a picture viewer this weekend when some company came over and they had some trip pictures on a USB stick.  If the PS3 (I am assuming price is the issue) and the Wii (I think you're crazy for not getting one) are not for you as far as the "next gen" consoles go, then I think the 360 will fill your nights with good gaming just fine.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »

I may have a networking delima.  I sold my switch, so that means no hard wired ports left on my existing router.  Second, while my basement IS pre-wired, it would take a bit of work to get an outlet exactly where the Xbox would be sitting.

Is there a reliable and fast solution for wireless on the Xbox360?

Saying I have to be convinced and to save my money may be accurate, but remember, this is for the kids for Xmas.  My son really wants to play Halo2, and I THINK there are some big games for the 360 coming up that might seal it for me personally.  I just need some RPG's, and believe it or not that gay RPG is looking appealing - not because it is gay - but because I am STARVING for good RPG's right now, the PC seems to have a derth of them consistantly.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »

If the kids like gaming, you cant go wrong with the 360.  It is a fantastic gaming machine and easily in my top 5 consoles of all time, probably top 3.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 11:17:37 PM »

your kids will love it and Halo 2 is bc my kids are on it constantly.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 11:39:07 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 25, 2006, 10:27:03 PM

Is there a reliable and fast solution for wireless on the Xbox360?

Saying I have to be convinced and to save my money may be accurate, but remember, this is for the kids for Xmas.  My son really wants to play Halo2, and I THINK there are some big games for the 360 coming up that might seal it for me personally.  I just need some RPG's, and believe it or not that gay RPG is looking appealing - not because it is gay - but because I am STARVING for good RPG's right now, the PC seems to have a derth of them consistantly.

wireless networking is extremely simple with the 360...all you need is a compatible network adapter (such as the official Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter from MS) and you can easily connect to any wireless B/G network just like you would with a PC.  the price on MS's official adapter is a little steep, but there are other options and i'm sure someone else here can point you in the right direction.

as for "that gay RPG," there is absolutely no reason to let the 'gay talk' steer anyone away from Enchanted Arms...it's a very small part of a fantastic game that has been blown way out proportion.  i didn't mind the character at all and thought he was good for a few laughs.  anyone who sticks with the game for more than a few hours shouldn't worry about it at all.

i've had by 360 since december and it's been nothing short of fantastic...great new games, xbox Live, integration with your media library, and backward compatibility have given me a ridiculous amount of entertainment value.  i don't regret my purchase in any way and would recommend the 360 to just about anyone.

one last thing...if backward compatibility is a big issue for you, check out the backward compatibility list over at xbox.com.  any game on that list will play on the 360, and they're periodically adding more titles to the list.  i've played Halo, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden:Black, and Sphinx & the Cursed Mummy all on my 360 without any problems at all.  not only do they run great, they look even better than on the xbox thanks to the 360's anti-aliasing capabilities.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
SjN
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 11:45:56 PM »

All I gotta say is that I've always been a console hater. I always hung around in the PC gamer camp and still do for the most part. That is until the Xbox360.

I kid you not-

The 360 is unbelievable. Coming from a hardcore PC gamer, that says alot! The 360 also does so much more than just game. If you have Windows Media Center, the 360 will pull content down from the server and stream it to any TV in the house. Come December when the HD drive releases, it'll add that much more functionality to it.

When you add everything up, the 360 is just flat out a good deal.
--SjN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 11:51:12 PM »

I love the 360.  In my opinion it is the best console I have ever owned, and I have owned them all.  But honestly if you are looking for RPGs and turn based strategy it would be the last console I'd recommend.  Get a PS2 if you don't already have one.  Halo 2 will be out for the PC sooner or later.  The 360 is great for shooters, sports games, racing games and multiplayer.  But RPGs and TBS?  No way.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 12:11:10 AM »

I was anti-360 before it came out and even after launch.  I mean, I was all about the "Xbox 1.5" talk and etc.  But I finally picked one up and the machine really is an incredible piece of software.  I turn it on daily, even if I don't plan on gaming, just to check to see what my friends are up to, check out the latest marketplace content, and whatnot.

I don't think lack of games for the system is an issue now.  It was before, and before you can go and believe someone who'll still use that issue; I'm somewhat of a picky gamer and it's tough for me to put time into games, but there have been about 4 games where I've put in 50+ hours.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 12:12:40 AM »

PS2 sounds interesting, we've never had one, but I do hear the games are fantastic.  What about HDTV?  We have no intention of going to HDTV for awhile, will my Xbox360 experience be soured?  The best I can do right now is a 800line 35" CRT w/Component Cables.   tear

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 12:22:51 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 26, 2006, 12:12:40 AM

What about HDTV?  We have no intention of going to HDTV for awhile, will my Xbox360 experience be soured?  The best I can do right now is a 800line 35" CRT w/Component Cables.   tear
i've been playing my 360 on a 25" SDTV for the last nine months and it hasn't soured my experience at all.  do games look better in HD?  of course...but they still look significantly better in SD than anything you'll see on a console from the previous generation.  don't let all the talk of high-def steer you into missing out on a gaming experience that is great no matter how much money you've spent on your tv.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 26, 2006, 12:12:40 AM

PS2 sounds interesting, we've never had one, but I do hear the games are fantastic.  What about HDTV?  We have no intention of going to HDTV for awhile, will my Xbox360 experience be soured?  The best I can do right now is a 800line 35" CRT w/Component Cables.   tear

Since you have component cables at least you'll get some awesome SD picture.

As to HD, games still look awesome. Since you don't have HD, you're not spoiled either. Don't fret that.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 01:16:08 AM »

Non HD TV.  Interest in TBS and RPGs.

Get a PS2 nod

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 01:21:17 AM »

Just for reference since you seem to be relatively inexperienced at consoles- in my mind PC RPGs and Console RPGs are completely different genres.  I love both to death, but if somone said "wow, I just love Oblivion and Gothic 2, what next?", I would most certainly not recommend Enchanted Arms or Blue Dragon without some huge caveats. 

As for the 360 itself- I'm sure your kids (at least the older one) would be very happy as long as you don't mind him playing M-rated titles.  Halo 2 is backwards compatible and they would probably love Gears of War.  Your preferences seem to align more toward the strategy side of the house and in that case 360 is pretty weak.  The only console I would say is strong strategy-wise would be PS2 and their abundance of SRPGs, but that has similar caveats as the PC RPG/Console RPG distinction. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 01:32:19 AM »

I like my 360.  I like it a lot.  It has some good games on it right now and more coming out this holiday season but most of those are action/shooters or are multi-platform.  The new JRPGs won't be released in the US until next year at the earliest.  

To be honest, for the type of games you are looking for and the things you've mentioned I would seriously consider the PS2 option.  For half the price of the 360 you can pick up the console and 4 awesome, classic games from a huge library.  I already have a 360 and I'm really thinking about picking up a PS2 to catch up on all the games I've missed.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 01:37:53 AM »

Frankly, getting a PS2 ain't a bad option since you're totally new to the console world.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:07 AM »

I ain't new to consoles, I have owned every console released in the USA from about 1971-2002ish (but not the PS2).  That includes the PhilipsCDI, NeoGeo, Magnavox (KC Munchkin for the win), and everything else including obscures like the Vectrex. We DO have a GameCube with a good library, and I have a Dreamcast with something like 300-400 games + tons of emulators.

However, looking over the PS2 library at various websites, I see a ton of stuff that would interest us so I may go that option.  Only bad part is, Costco no longer sells PS2 bundles, that was my first purchase option, so I will have to consider other locations now.  What are the "Must Buy" games for the PS2?

I think I will go with the PS2 for the kids for Xmas.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 02:20:55 AM »

Kobra, i regretted buying my original Xbox a year ago over a PS2.  I've never played a 360 and i'm positive its an awesome system, but from what i understand is that if rpg's are your interest, PS2 is the way to go.  My wife just gave me the go-ahead for a PS2 because she wants to play Guitar Hero, but i'm pumped to have access to the gazillion ps2 classics i've been reading about here for quit some time.

From what i know, Playstation has the rpg, adventure, and strategy games (enough to keep you busy for years) and the 360 is for action and sports.  And for about half the price you can get a system and some games to start you off. 

Just my $.02.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 02:54:53 AM »

Wait... you're jonesing for console rpg's, and you don't own a PS2?

?!  :icon_eek:

The PS2 is the system for console rpg's. Period. We might actually see the 360 provide more of a contest for the PS3 on this front than the original X-Box did for the PS2.  Heck, the Cube had more console rpg's (jrpg's) than the X-Box did.

I owned all three systems, and have a 360, and believe me: for console rpg selection, nothing tops my PS2 right now other than possibly my PS1 library (which I can also play on the PS2).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 03:09:19 AM »

I so totally regret going with the Xbox years ago over the PS2.. Big mistake, I sold the Xbox, then a year later a friend was unloading his, I bought it, it collected more dust, I sold that one.  But christ, the PS2 was what I should have purchased all along.

Xmann funny you mention Guitar Hero, I've been watching videos of it for the last hour, I cannot believe how fun that looks. I found a bundle deal at an online store that isn't bad..  PS2 Slim + 2 Controllers + 2 Memory Cards + Guitar Hero + Extra Guitar for $240.00.  Given Guitar Hero is $70, and the extra guitar (I hear head to head rocks) is $40.00, I think thats a stand up deal for a new system from a reputable company.

I haven't had much luck finding a used one, and I do not trust ScamBay much anymore for console stuff.  So whats the must have game list?  My son was stoked watchin videos of God of War and Shadow Collosus or something..  I am pretty exciting looking at FFX and Dragon Quest videos.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 03:22:44 AM »

You like JRPG's and don't have a PS2?  For shame Kobra, for shame...  icon_wink

Here's my must-have short PS2 list:

-  Guitar Hero
-  Okami
-  Final Fantasy X
-  Shadow Hearts
-  Shadow Hearts:  Covenant
-  Dragon Quest VIII
-  Xenosaga
-  Dark Cloud 2
-  God of War

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

BTW - if you're interested in Guitar Hero, go hit your local EB/Gamestop and get your guitars USED. And then toss the extra $3 for the extended warranty. Why? A used guitar will run you $20, verses the $40 for a new one. And with the warranty, if something goes wrong, you'll be covered. Saves you a bit of cash in the end, especially if you get 2 of them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 01:31:25 PM »

If you get a PS2, get Guitar Hero for sure. I love that game. Also, Final Fantasy XII is out next month for the PS2. If you really love JRPG's than the PS2 is the way to go, especially if you don't have a HDTV.  I love the 360, but the PS2 has the 360 beat hands down when it comes down to JRPG's.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:19 PM »

Another vote for the PS2. It's a great system with a great library. Especially for rpgs. It's probably the best single system for a family, because you have -so much- to choose from. Guitar Hero, Okami, SotC, Jak*, R&C*, FF, Shadow Hearts, etc etc. Add in the ps1 titles (if you want to go oldschool)...

I recently picked up a 360, and I'll echo the sentiments here that it's an awesome system. But, if my ps2 died tomorrow, it would be replaced, pronto... even though I have the 360. And if you don't have a HDTV and surround sound setup, that will narrow the gap somewhat.

Oblivion is an awesome game, though. Looking forward to getting it and spending some more time on it (had rented it). Hopefully some of the potential hits on the 360 will live up to the hype for this holiday season.

But the ps2 is a guaranteed hit, -now-. It's the one system everyone should own, IMO.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 26, 2006, 03:22:44 AM

You like JRPG's and don't have a PS2?  For shame Kobra, for shame...  icon_wink

Here's my must-have short PS2 list:

-  Guitar Hero
-  Okami
-  Final Fantasy X
-  Shadow Hearts
-  Shadow Hearts:  Covenant
-  Dragon Quest VIII
-  Xenosaga
-  Dark Cloud 2
-  God of War

That's a pretty solid list, in fact.  I'd drop Xenosaga for Romancing Saga though, given my tastes. icon_smile You may want to be cautious with God of War for your son though; it's a fairly brutal game, earning its M rating, between violence, language, and sexuality (including the brief nudity) which some parents may be squeamish about letting their kids play as a result.

For fun co-op play, if you guys like action-rpg's, I'd also recommend considering one or more of the following:
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (1 and/or 2)
- Champions of Norrath: (1 and/or 2)

I've played all four and thoroughly enjoyed them.  I played one of each in co-op as well and had a blast. icon_biggrin

Another great multiplayer game would be Burnout 3 if you guys like crazy racing games.  icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 05:05:56 PM »

Thanks for the list!  Champions of Norrath looks fantastic, adding that to the list.

Best deal I can find online, outside of ScamBay, is PS2 Slim + 2 Controllers + 2 Memory cards + Guitar Hero + Extra Guitar for $240.00.  That seems like a fair deal for all new stuff at a reputable vendor.  I figure for a total cost of about $400, I could get all that + the games above, and finish up the Xmas for the kids.

Thats a lot of gaming love for the $$ I think.  The decision has been made!  Thanks for steering me right everyone.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2006, 05:15:59 PM »

Great decision Kobra, you really cant go wrong with a PS2.
Best thing is, should you ever decide to upgrade to the PS3 all your games are still going to play on it.

One more vote out for baldur's gate dark alliance 2.. though it's a rare (and expensive) game now days.

And if you ever take it online - battlefront 2, socom 3, killzone, and battlefield 2 are still heavily populated.
Monster Hunter (RPG) while I never tried it, should stilll have a few hundred people playing online. Check out some of the reviews on it, sounds a bit like PSO, and is $20 used at your favorite store (gamestop) right now.
If you want a smaller "cult-like" following, check out Tribes Aerial Assault. Even 4 years later, it's still my favorite PS2 title to date.   

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »

I need to investigate going online with it.  Can you give me more details?

We have Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance for the GameCube, it is a fantastic game, addictive, my sons love it.  My son will be VERY happy to have Part 2 thanks to the PS2.  (assuming it is worth the high price, and rarity)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 05:35:48 PM by Kobra » Logged

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »

EB has used Guitar controllers for $20?  Dangit, i might run down to my local and grab a couple.  I swore off EB, but thats a decent deal.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 26, 2006, 05:59:18 PM

EB has used Guitar controllers for $20?  Dangit, i might run down to my local and grab a couple.  I swore off EB, but thats a decent deal.

Yup. Unless it's only an east coast for whatever reason, you'll find it at that price (and all the stores I visited when I was down there on vacation had plenty in stock).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »

well i just called my 2 EB's and another local Video game store and noone has any used, only new.  i'm in Florida, they just dont have any around here evidently.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2006, 02:31:14 AM »

If you or your kids are into platformer/action games the PS2 is home to some classic series in that genre: Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper.  Each takes that gameplay in it's own direction. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2006, 04:05:51 AM »

Here is what I ended up with boys and girls..

Playstation 2 Slim
2 Controllers
2 Memory Cards

Guitar Hero + Guitar
Extra Guitar
Dynasty Tactics 2
Champions of Norrath
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and Clank
Onimushu Warlords
God of War
Dark Cloud
Final Fantasy X
Burnout 3
Dragon Quest VIII
ICO
Jak & Daxter
-----------------------------
Total out of pocket cost:  $339.00 ($170 per kid)

I gotta say, that appears to be a tremendous amount of gaming for that price.  I elected to go with a brand new system and related hardware to avoid ScamBay disappointments.  The kids should be very very happy with all of this - I know I will.   I pretty much saved myself a pretty large amount of money while at the same time giving them far far more gameplay than if I had gone current generation console.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »

That's a killer lineup of games Kobra!  Nice job.

The only thing I'd do is swap out that copy of Dark Cloud for Dark Cloud 2.  The sequel is a vast improvement in almost every way.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

Very nice lineup, and I can't believe everything only came to $339!  When you figure gaming hours per dollar with that group, you certinaly won't be dissapointed.

I'll second Warning's Dark Cloud 2 recommendation.  The first game is average at best, but Dark Cloud 2 is fantastic.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2006, 12:39:47 PM »

I want to go ahead and put my prediction in that Kobra doesn't like at least 75% of those games.  icon_wink

And, yeah, what warning and Gratch said- swap out that copy of Dark Cloud for its sequel. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 27, 2006, 12:39:47 PM

I want to go ahead and put my prediction in that Kobra doesn't like at least 75% of those games.  icon_wink

I'll raise that to 80%. 

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2006, 03:53:01 PM »

You underestimate how much I love JRPG's.  Also keep in mind, this is for the kids, not me, so whatever I like and dislike has no effect on the list.

I will swap out the Dark Cloud for part 2. Thanks for the tip.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: