http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 03:40:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quests in WoW / EQ2  (Read 2488 times)
Discalced
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:21:06 PM »

I read that in WoW the quest system will allow for a viable means of gaining experience apart from the killgrind.  Is EQ2 going to be similar in this regard?

Nil sine Numine.
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

I would say the quest system in WoW is more like an excuse to grind, than an alternative.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 07:41:14 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
I would say the quest system in WoW is more like an excuse to grind, than an alternative.

Right.  You cannot progress in WoW without killing mobs...you still have to.  But questing is often a good replacement for mob grinding....for a bit.

Ie a kill quest will have you kill 20 monsters of a typical type and then receive a exp bonus for completing it.  You COULD just kill 30 monsters without the quest....or 20 + the quest.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 07:44:59 PM »

I would say the WoW quest system is a godsend. When I compare the quests I do in WoW to the grinding I did in DAoC, for example, I am reminded why I never want to go back to DAoC.

Sure, quests that require you to kill X mobs or collect Y things are usually little more than an excuse to go kill the mobs - but it provides a lot of variety. And when you complete the quest and turn it in, you get a nice chunk of XP.

People who want to sit in one place and kill the same mob over and over are welcome to do that (though in WoW the mob density in the outdoor zones is typically not high enough to support that without you moving around some).l So if you don't want to do the quests in WoW, you certianly don't have to - though to me it's one of the fun factors of the game.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:17:48 PM »

Both of the quest systems are pretty similar, and both offer viable "alternatives" to hunting. I put that in quotes because in both instances you're still out there for the most part killing mobs repeatedly. There are variations on the "kill X number of mobs" in both games, but by and large the bulk of your quests will involve going out and either killing a certain number of things, or killing a certain thing until you get X number of loot drops.

I haven't had enough playtime with the quests in EQ2 to directly compare the rewards with the ones in WoW. However, I will say that based on what I've seen so far there are at least as many quests in EQ2 as there are in WoW. If you want to spend your whole time doing quests, you can certainly do so.

The journal systems in both games are very similar, as is the method of ranking quests by difficulty, etc. I really enjoyed the quest system in WoW, and was pleasantly surprised to find one which appears to be just as thorough in EQ2. You won't be disappointed in the quest system of either game, they really took a HUGE step forward from MMOs of the past.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:22:41 PM »

Quote from: "Charlatan"
I would say the WoW quest system is a godsend. When I compare the quests I do in WoW to the grinding I did in DAoC, for example, I am reminded why I never want to go back to DAoC.

I feel the exact same way. I will be cancelling my DaoC account shortly due this reason. I can not believe I put up with it for so long.

I am rather easy to please (or dupe if you will) I guess. Give me a reason, any reason, to go kill something other than to simply gain experience and I am a much more content player. I am kind of suprised that it makes so much of a difference to me. In WoW, you can go from 1-60 without ever having to slay even one monster for the express purpose of gaining experience points. Sure, its a thin veil, but its all I need.

I know from early reports that EQ2 is similar and maybe even more robust. People are reporting that they have 100s of quest (actually, i think of these more as tasks rather than quests, but that just a persona thing) early on which is considerably more than WoW. I am not sure how it correlates into levels gained per quest completed or any other kind of comparrison, but it still bodes well. I am curious however, if the trend continues in EQ2 up to level cap (200th i believe in EQ2?).
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:34:29 PM »

I agree the quest system in WoW is very nice.

Toe: Your last sentence makes me curious.  The level cap in WoW, from what I understand, is going to be 60 or 70, while in EQ2 it is going to be 200?

Did I read that right?

If this is true, (and maybe YK can answer this too), do you level "more often" in EQ2, or is there just a crapload of more content?

Thanks.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:07 PM »

The level cap in EQ is 50, not 200. I imagine they'll probably bump it up to 60 with the first expansion, but I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe it will go beyond that at this point.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 01:18:26 PM »

Both of the quest systems are pretty similar

In WOW, all quest npcs are clearly marked, so the player doesn't have to re-click every single npc every time they gain a new level.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

Quests are nice in WoW but to be honest with so many quests, you kinda loose that adventure part of the MMRGP. Quests are great, but I think they might of went to far the other way. I found my self in a race with other guild mates to see if I could finish the quests, and I found myself always behind. So I ended up having to solo all the time and felt left out most of the time, that really put a bad taste in my mouth for WoW, thats one big reason im playing EQ2.

Scott
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2004, 02:23:24 PM »

Quote from: "Falcon554"
Quests are nice in WoW but to be honest with so many quests, you kinda loose that adventure part of the MMRGP. Quests are great, but I think they might of went to far the other way. I found my self in a race with other guild mates to see if I could finish the quests, and I found myself always behind. So I ended up having to solo all the time and felt left out most of the time, that really put a bad taste in my mouth for WoW, thats one big reason im playing EQ2.

Thats strange. Cause based on early reports, EQ2 has a lot more quests (at least in the early years, compared to WoW). You can only have 20 in your quest journal in WoW. Its unlimited or much higher in EQ2. With a lot more quests to choose from, why would you think what you experienced in WoW would be any less of a problem in EQ2. It would seem like it would be much worse. ~shrug~
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: "Raven"
Both of the quest systems are pretty similar

In WOW, all quest npcs are clearly marked, so the player doesn't have to re-click every single npc every time they gain a new level.

In EQ2 the NPC will actully call out to you if they have a quest to give.

morlac00 on PSN
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 05:04:31 PM »

Questing in EQ2 is a very viable way to solo.  By no means do you need to do the quests but I find that I am taking time to read the stories and get into the world of EQ2.  The best are when gnomes need you to find thier lost inventions heh... I just love the gnome voice acting.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2004, 06:01:27 PM »

Well I have never played EQ2 im just going on my time in WoW. I just know it sucked to always never being able to group because I was always behind in the quests.

Scott
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 08:22:00 PM »

My experience so far is that once you hit lvl 10 or so it is easy to find groups that are doing plain xp hunting.  Most groups will advertise if they are questing or just xp'ing.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 11:41:08 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
My experience so far is that once you hit lvl 10 or so it is easy to find groups that are doing plain xp hunting.  Most groups will advertise if they are questing or just xp'ing.

In WoW, I have yet to see a single person advertise or mention that they are doing "plain xp hunting". (I just hit level 40 last night). Based on my playstyle, thats a definate plus for WoW. [/u][/i]
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 12:07:06 PM »

Well with the sheer amount of quests, I understand why people do it.  If I don't want to run over all the zone hunting 10 of mob x, 15 of mob y.. but would rather go to the dervish cutthroats area and sand giants area and just hunt everything in sight there is going to be a different set of people I would need to group with to do this.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 12:44:57 PM »

I knida like the "lets go hunt for exp" sometimes. I did that alot in the early days of DAOC, It almost feels like your on a rail in WoW sometimes. Thats not a put down at all. I think WoW is a fantastic game but its a game I have played already. I will at some point buy it and play it but right now I just want something diff.

I kinda wish I never got in the Alpha for WoW it kinda runied it for me

Scott
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 02:12:17 PM »

Quote from: "Falcon554"
I knida like the "lets go hunt for exp" sometimes.

Wow, i guess that goes to show the huge player differences in MMOL mentailties. I never ever want to "hunt for exps" in any game. Coming from a strong PnP background, the whole concept seems foreign to me. Its like having DM session where the DM just tosses monsters at you just for the purpose of everyone gaining exps. That would be so fun! (not).

After "seeing the light" in WoW, I doubt that I ever will hang around a game that does make "hunting for exps" a requirement or major avenue of character development. Give me some goals, any goals, so as I never have to "hunt for exps" and I am satisfied.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »

I think the point toe, is that I would argue questing is a faster method to levelling in EQ2.... some people do not want to get involved in the quests.  They want to go to a specific area, perhaps hunt named mobs for drops, but they don't want to be burdened with constant group chat of....

"Ok, I got my 5 sand giants... everyone else?  Oh you need 7 more, ok lets kill those... then I saw Dervish Thugs around here, lets go kill 45 of them, then after that Oh I need to head to wailing caves and kill gerreg stonecrusher and soulspike...maybe then we can head to the ruins of valmarr and hunt fallen crusaders...." and so on and so on...

From a pen and paper perspective hunting for exp would be the equivalent of a dungeon crawl session... get to the end and kill th ebig bad guy... or eradicate a camp of dervishes that are threatining the town....while the game doesn't give you a specific quest for it.... some people want to just hunker down with a good group and have a good time chatting as they drive a species to extinction.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

I need a little bit of both. Sometimes I like quests, I want to have some purpose to my hunting. I want rewards and bonus XP. On the other hand, sometimes I just want to go kill stuff and not worry about scouring the area for a certain specific number of certain specific mobs.

One reason I got bored with WoW is that I felt that if I wasn't doing quests, I was wasting XP and time. Nobody was ever just out there hunting. So when I got to the point where my quests weren't soloable anymore, now I was begging groups to help me with my quests.

In EQ2, for whatever reason, the quests are still there but they don't seem to be the end-all be-all of the game. I can go out in the Commonlands and just hunt with people. Some of them might have quests, but it's more of a thing on the side -"I need some orcs, we'll just kill any that we run across on the way to the hunting spot."

I don't really know WHY I have that perception (maybe because WoW is a new world in which quests were a focus and selling point, whereas EQ is an established world where quests are a new addition?) At any rate, I feel more "balanced" in EQ. That's just coming from my personal playing style. I'm sure there are many out there who think the exact opposite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: