http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:56:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions for those people who rent games  (Read 431 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »

I have just joined LOVEFiLM.com which i think is just a UK thing,similar i would imagine to Netflix

I am only on a light package of 5.99 a month where i can have 2 discs a month 1 disc at a time,i actually get a 20quid Amazon voucher for using the trial which i am currently on

My main reason for using this is because i am still not able to work and i go through games quite fast taking advantage of offers in shops(eg Rage got traded in for Gears 3,Gears 3 got traded in for Batman,Batman got traded in for Battlefield etc)..and there are few games at the moment,i want to keep(I think Skyrim is a keeper for sure...COD because of online)

I was wondering what people's experiences were with rental?,do you find it saves you money or do you find you are still spending just as much on games?

also,i can't find it,but i take it you can keep a game for up to a month,do i get charged or anything if i don't send it back within that month,or does it get carried over as one of my next months 2 discs ?

I am probably going to have a few more questions when i think of them icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »

I buy way less games now since I've been a Gamefly subscriber.  Personally, it's been great for me.  I get every new release I want with minimal or no delay. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »

I tend not to buy much from a game standpoint, and the Gamefly rentals were a luxury that I don't miss. 

That being said, in recent months, I dropped $240 on Rage (to support the guys two floors above me), Batman, Battlefield 3 and MW3.  Two of those are MP and don't really fit a rental model for me.  Batman I was going to buy regardless, and Rage was a conscious decision.

For right now, there's a Blockbuster near my house that if I REALLY want to rent something, I can nip over there and see if they've got it in.  If not, it's not that big a deal anyway.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »

The only games I'd rent are ones that I know I could get through quickly, want to play, but do not want to own.  Recently Uncharted 3 fell into that category.  I got it from Redbox for three nights for, what, $6? That works for me.

I've considered Gamefly, but the subscription model means I'd always feel pressure to play the rented game, which might not be one I'd want to play.  Plus, any game that it would take me longer than three days play to get through, I'd rather own anyway.  Redbox pretty much lets me grab new releases that are renters as I feel like.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

yeah i have seen games in the past that i would like to play and know i would zoom through it and pretty much never touch again,whether i enjoyed it or not(Wolverine)

what happens if a game is 2,3 or 4 discs?,do they all count as one,or am i screwed because i can only have 2 discs a month and 1 disc at a time?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 06, 2011, 09:45:49 PM

yeah i have seen games in the past that i would like to play and know i would zoom through it and pretty much never touch again,whether i enjoyed it or not(Wolverine)

what happens if a game is 2,3 or 4 discs?,do they all count as one,or am i screwed because i can only have 2 discs a month and 1 disc at a time?

With gamefly, the multi-disc games all come stacked in one envelope.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »

Gamefly doesn't work for me, either.  My gaming time is too sporadic, and I feel too pressured to 'get my money's worth' or whatever.

I've been doing pretty well taking advantage of Amazon's ridiculous deals to forge my own rentals with brand new sealed copies of games.  With instant rebates, sales, and generous buyback prices, my "rentals" cost between $0 and $15, and a couple times I've even made money in the end.  They're getting stingier on their buyback offers, though, so this practice isn't working as well as it used to.

Redbox is a great deal for games I know I can finish in a day or two. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:29:26 PM »

thanks for the answers

It seems even though i am only limited to 2 games a month,i should fill up my wishlist with 10-15 titles,i had Saints Row 3 and Ass Creed R on my list,and they told me that the titles were very popular so may take some time to get to me so i should have a 'backup' list

this is the list of games i made that i have always wanted to play,some are high,medium or low priority

Assassin's Creed: Revelations             
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4             
LEGO Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Video...             
Saints Row The Third             
Arcania: Gothic 4             
Dead Island             
Forza Motorsport 4             
James Bond 007: Blood Stone             
LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Cont...             
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions             
The Lord Of The Rings: War In The North             
Two Worlds             
Dead Space 2             
Risen             
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition             

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 06, 2011, 06:49:57 PM

I buy way less games now since I've been a Gamefly subscriber.  Personally, it's been great for me.  I get every new release I want with minimal or no delay. 

Ditto same here think I've bought a total of 5 games all of this year yet I still get to play all the new releases I want.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: