http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about buying a PS3  (Read 1848 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

Now that Blu Ray has pretty much won the format war, I'm thinking about buying a PS3.  I have a couple of questions.

How is the Blu Ray player versus a separate one?  I've never been very fond of using the consoles for movies.  They don't feel dedicated enough.  However, I have heard that the PS3 will update to the latest features easily.  I'm wondering about picture/sound quality and noise level.  Any opinions?

Also, I've never owned a Playstation, and there are some PS2 games I'd like to play.  It seems the quickly becoming standard 40GB is out.  The 80GB has more problems than the 20 or 60GB, but how hard is it to find a 60GB model?  And are there other issues involved with going with a soon to be obsolete version?  BC is a big deal for me, so I doubt I'll be getting the PS3 if the 40GB is the only real option.

All of this probably won't happen for a month or two, but I'd love to get some ideas now.

Thanks, guys.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »

PS3 is an outstanding Bluray player, perhaps the best on the market.  The only negatives for it against a standalone are:

-That it can be a little louder than a standalone player (but nothing compared to the 360 Hoover) and even that may have been solved in the new 40 GB models (not sure). 

- Lack of an IR port means that it isn't compatible with most universal remotes.  This can be worked around a bit by spending $15 though.

I own both a PS3 and the best standalone player on the market (Panasonic DMP-BD30K) and the PS3 would be a fine recommendation. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

If you want a BC version you better not wait too long as they aren't being made anymore with the chip in them. The best thing about the chipped version is that it is 100% backword compatible and it actually upscales the games to whatever resolution your TV accepts. I played through FF12 at 1080p, it looked pretty good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 25, 2008, 10:00:12 PM

If you want a BC version you better not wait too long as they aren't being made anymore with the chip in them. The best thing about the chipped version is that it is 100% backword compatible and it actually upscales the games to whatever resolution your TV accepts. I played through FF12 at 1080p, it looked pretty good.
Does the 80GB model not do upscaling for PS2 titles?
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:38:28 PM »

The backwards compatibility of the PS3 is a complicated thing.  A friend of mine recently decided to get one, and this is how I explained it to him.

1) The original 60-gig and 20-gig versions featured full BC, and with one of the later firmware updates, gained the ability to upscale the games to higher screen resolutions and apply some anti-aliasing too.  It would have been a small miracle to find a 20-gig PS3 back when they were supposed to be a legitimate, available product, so I can't believe you'd have an easy time finding one now.  The 60-gig versions have also been discontinued, but if you're very, very lucky, you might find a local shop with one or two still lurking in the back room.  In my opinion, this is unquestionably the one to get.

2) The 80-gig PS3 features "some" backwards compatibility through software emulation, and can also upscale and smooth the graphics.  I've read that it's actually quite good, and even games which are listed as being somewhat problematic still play very well.  If BC is important to you and you cannot find a 60-gig version, this is the next best thing...but check the official list of supported PS2 games first!

3) As far as I can determine, the 40-gig PS3 does not support any BC at all, even through software emulation.  If you have no desire to play any older games, this is probably the best version to get if only because its the cheapest.  Don't worry about the hard drive size because, unless something has drastically changed, you can swap out the internal drive with any size SATA laptop drive in about five minutes.

Personally, I think BC is a huge plus because there are sooooo many great PS2 games around, but YMMV.  icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:40:32 PM by Autistic Angel » Logged
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »

Kmart.com currently has them in stock.  Better hurry though.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000022243811P?keyword=playstation+3

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 25, 2008, 11:27:25 PM

Kmart.com currently has them in stock.  Better hurry though.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000022243811P?keyword=playstation+3

good one! - if i were you, bullwinkle, i'd take advantage of that link & grab one now: if you've never owned a ps2, you can't beat the 60gb ps3...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 25, 2008, 10:38:28 PM

3) As far as I can determine, the 40-gig PS3 does not support any BC at all, even through software emulation.

This is correct - there is NO PS2 compatibility at all with the 40GB model. It will play PS1 titles without a problem though. All models do.

But then Sony might say it's cheaper for you to get the 40GB model along with a PS2.  icon_twisted

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:34 AM »

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to buy a cheap 40 gig PS3 and a used (or even new) PS2.  The PS2 doesn't take up much space especially compared to the size of today's monsters.  Apparently even the 80 gig HD's are being discontinued (possibly just a rumor) so you might not want to wait a month or two!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 26, 2008, 12:03:34 AM

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to buy a cheap 40 gig PS3 and a used (or even new) PS2.  The PS2 doesn't take up much space especially compared to the size of today's monsters.  Apparently even the 80 gig HD's are being discontinued (possibly just a rumor) so you might not want to wait a month or two!

yeah, but a PS2 *does* take up another set of inputs on the TV.  so for people without video-switching receivers, it's just another potential hassle

also, you don't get any of the upscaling as with the PS3, which makes PS2 games look noticeably nicer
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »

If you get really desperate you can check out eBay for your 60gb PS3.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »

BTW, rumor is that the 80Gb is not long for this world.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 26, 2008, 12:06:19 AM

Quote from: Canuck on January 26, 2008, 12:03:34 AM

yeah, but a PS2 *does* take up another set of inputs on the TV.  so for people without video-switching receivers, it's just another potential hassle

also, you don't get any of the upscaling as with the PS3, which makes PS2 games look noticeably nicer

Also, I have this thing called a wife, who is still being convinced that a PS3 is viable.  Another console on top of that will not work.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »

Bullwinkle, I've spent a lot of time playing PS2 games on my PS3, and if you have any interest in exploring the fantastic library of older games, I'd highly recommend snatching up one of those 60-gig units from K-Mart.  Every game I've tried runs flawlessly, and with the upscaling and smoothing options enabled, games like God of War II and Shadow of the Colossus look *amazing.*  Considering the 60-gig is the same cost as the 80-gig but *more* capable, it's a very easy recommendation to make.

Remember, though: the PS3 does not come with a Blu-Ray remote or any component or HDMI cables, so you'll need to factor those into the cost of your purchase too.

-Autistic Angel
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 25, 2008, 09:56:30 PM

- Lack of an IR port means that it isn't compatible with most universal remotes.  This can be worked around a bit by spending $15 though.

What's the $15 fix?  I'd love to use my Harmony remote with the PS3.

16-bit and loving it!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Windows95 on January 26, 2008, 02:30:22 PM

The Blue Wave remote. The only catch is that using the usb dongle will allow your harmony to control the PS3, but what I have read is that you still can't turn it on or off with it. Do some research on it for details.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

Quote from: JCC on January 26, 2008, 02:40:55 PM

The Blue Wave remote. The only catch is that using the usb dongle will allow your harmony to control the PS3, but what I have read is that you still can't turn it on or off with it. Do some research on it for details.

or if you're not into dongles Sony has one for about 25 bucks.  Personally I'm going to get the Sony one- it looks like it has more options on it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2008, 03:28:31 PM

Quote from: JCC on January 26, 2008, 02:40:55 PM

or if you're not into dongles Sony has one for about 25 bucks.  Personally I'm going to get the Sony one- it looks like it has more options on it.

Yeah, but that one uses bluetooth.  I want the IR dongle so I can use one remote for everything.

16-bit and loving it!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »

I bought this IR solution for my PS3:

At $35 it's more expensive than the blue-wave remote, but it works a bit more smoothly with universal remotes and it looks very elegant:

If you're willing to pay for the $50 version, you can control the power with your universal as well.  (Sony doesn't currently let USB connected IR devices do it, so you run a tiny cable to the power button that simulates finger touches.)

Available here:
http://www.schmartz.com/main.sc
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »

Just wondering does anyone have an 80 gb and have actually had problems playing some ps2 games? Getting a ps3 and I know where I can get a 60 gb new but I got some credit to use at gamestop that would soften the pricetag on a 80gb, and getting a larger hard drive and Motorstorm for the same price is tempting.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on January 27, 2008, 06:48:57 AM

Just wondering does anyone have an 80 gb and have actually had problems playing some ps2 games? Getting a ps3 and I know where I can get a 60 gb new but I got some credit to use at gamestop that would soften the pricetag on a 80gb, and getting a larger hard drive and Motorstorm for the same price is tempting.

And where are you getting this 60GB new? icon_biggrin

Actually, it's way too early for me to buy one, so I'm worried I'm going to miss out on the 60GB model.  It's looking like the 80GB may time out, though.  I'll probably be looking in March.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 06:15:32 PM »

Unless you intend to use the PS3 as a media center and such, the extra 20GB is nothing. The (forced) installs aren't that big for PS3 games, and the save data is nothing compared to the space you have in any of the models.

Motorstorm...well, let's just say it's a so-so first generation PS3 game. It's not that impressive of a game. Looks pretty, but that's about it (and the load times are terrible).

Frankly I'd get the 60GB model if you intend to play PS2 games on it. Guarantees compatibility and whatnot (even though, yes, the 80GB model has around 80-90% compatibility depending on if the 'small' issues some games list would even bother you).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 27, 2008, 06:15:32 PM

Unless you intend to use the PS3 as a media center and such, the extra 20GB is nothing. The (forced) installs aren't that big for PS3 games, and the save data is nothing compared to the space you have in any of the models.

Motorstorm...well, let's just say it's a so-so first generation PS3 game. It's not that impressive of a game. Looks pretty, but that's about it (and the load times are terrible).

Frankly I'd get the 60GB model if you intend to play PS2 games on it. Guarantees compatibility and whatnot (even though, yes, the 80GB model has around 80-90% compatibility depending on if the 'small' issues some games list would even bother you).

yeah, there is absolutely ZERO reason to get the 80gig version if you can buy the 60gig version new

Motorstorm is completely pedestrian, and you can always upgrade the HD in the PS3 yourself
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 03:36:08 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 27, 2008, 06:43:24 PM

and you can always upgrade the HD in the PS3 yourself

That is also true. Isn't the PS3's HD just a standard 2.5" laptop HD? If so, you should be able to grab a 250GB drive nowadays. It won't be cheap, as it just came out, but the option is there.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 05:45:33 AM »

I disagree, Motorstorm is an excellent arcade racer.  Has just the right feel, and while it is lacking in some racer features, it does have a lot going for it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »

Same here, love Motorstorm and thought online was super fun...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 06:08:10 AM »

yeah, I normally don't like racers and I had a blast with Motorstorm.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 06:10:05 AM »

Count me in for someone who really liked Motorstorm.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 06:31:47 AM »

Motorstorm has got one of the best racing engines...ever.  It's barebones with presentation, as well as gameplay options, but Motorstorm 2 will (hopefully) remedy that. 

Regardless, Motorstorm with a full lobby of people online is awesome.

TheMissingLink on PSN
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 28, 2008, 03:36:08 AM

Quote from: KePoW on January 27, 2008, 06:43:24 PM

and you can always upgrade the HD in the PS3 yourself

That is also true. Isn't the PS3's HD just a standard 2.5" laptop HD? If so, you should be able to grab a 250GB drive nowadays. It won't be cheap, as it just came out, but the option is there.

yes, it's just a standard 2.5" SATA laptop drive...it's extremely easy to replace the PS3's HD, and it will automatically format everything and put the system software back on when you turn the PS3 on again

I just put in a 250 gig drive in mine.  it didn't just come out, you're thinking of the 320 gig ones...those just came out.  you can get an OEM 250 gig SATA 2.5" drive for around $115-$130.  they're obviously not as cheap as regular size 3.5" drives, but it's not that expensive.  you can get 160 gig 2.5" ones for like 80 bucks
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »

oh as for Motorstorm, it's certainly not a bad game...it's a solidly developed game.  I just don't like any dirt rally racers

I was just saying that I certainly wouldn't buy an 80gig PS3 with Motorstorm, if you can still find a 60gig one new.  unless someone literally does not have any PS2 games
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 28, 2008, 08:12:37 AM

I just put in a 250 gig drive in mine.  it didn't just come out, you're thinking of the 320 gig ones...those just came out.  you can get an OEM 250 gig SATA 2.5" drive for around $115-$130.  they're obviously not as cheap as regular size 3.5" drives, but it's not that expensive.  you can get 160 gig 2.5" ones for like 80 bucks

Note to self - it's time to get a bigger HD for my laptop. biggrin

nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »

Just picked up a new 60 gb from blockbuster, they're selling them for $450 right now, so that made the decision between the 80 and the 60 easier.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on January 29, 2008, 09:18:53 PM

Just picked up a new 60 gb from blockbuster, they're selling them for $450 right now, so that made the decision between the 80 and the 60 easier.

Awesome - send an invite to depward when you get your PSN all set up!  Congrats   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: