http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 05:55:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 4 Review is UP!  (Read 3169 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2005, 03:07:18 PM »

Gotta love Day 1 reviews:

http://consolegold.com/Reviews/review/459.html

Questions?  Comments?  Scathing remarks?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »

Good review, doesn't seemed as biased and as jaded as the ign one was.

Ascendent
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »

I try to be even keeled. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:31:18 PM »

Nice writeup! With so many games coming out, Q4 is taking a backseat for now.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 04:33:18 PM »

Cool, glad to have a review from you so I can get some more impartial impressions. I still don't see myself buying this, but maybe smile
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 05:30:38 PM »

Wow multiplayer is nuts it's just like q3! Loving it! Can't wait till someone gets some railgun instagib mod going.

Ascendent
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 05:53:28 PM »

So no Coop in the SP? I thought I read that they were working on that also?

Now KD, get to finding out some good information about ET:QW!

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
So no Coop in the SP? I thought I read that they were working on that also?

Now KD, get to finding out some good information about ET:QW!

Don't worry...if he doesn't,  I will.  I got to meet one of the design team members at QuakeCon, but he wasn't ready to discuss the game at that time.   ET:QW is my hope that we see some of what made QuakeWorld and the original Team Fortress fun.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »

Nice review there Knightshade... lots of content and plenty of details. Keep up the good work!  biggrin

That being said, please get back to working on "The Movies" hands-on, and I look forward to a preview with lots of content and plenty of details.  :wink:

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 10:07:52 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Can't wait till someone gets some railgun instagib mod going.

Just reading the word "railgun" makes me want to pick this one up ASAP.

Question: in the review, you make sure to mention copy protection...and you make a special note of it.  Does it use Starforce?  I'm just curious.  I've never had a problem with it, but I'm just curious why you specifically included that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »

Have to say I really like the game, in my opinion it's a great successor to q3. But I'm having problems, I picked up a new vid card yesterday Geforce 6800  GT Overclocked and it continues to lock up on me. So I thought it was a software issue so I tried different driver versions still freezes up on me. So I opened up the case stuck a fan inside the case, stuck two fans on the outside pushing air in and nothing changed. So now i'm wondering what the hell it could be. Not sure how much more cooler I can make it. I'm going to try playing something else for an extended amount of time but I think it's strictly a Q4 issue, FEAR hasn't given me any problems.  But anyways just thought I'd let anyone know who was considering buying this about my experience.

Ascendent
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 10:36:03 PM »

Great review.  You share my point of view on shooters: I enjoy single player games more.  I'm picking this up tomorrow.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 11:10:34 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Have to say I really like the game, in my opinion it's a great successor to q3. But I'm having problems, I picked up a new vid card yesterday Geforce 6800  GT Overclocked and it continues to lock up on me. So I thought it was a software issue so I tried different driver versions still freezes up on me. So I opened up the case stuck a fan inside the case, stuck two fans on the outside pushing air in and nothing changed. So now i'm wondering what the hell it could be. Not sure how much more cooler I can make it. I'm going to try playing something else for an extended amount of time but I think it's strictly a Q4 issue, FEAR hasn't given me any problems.  But anyways just thought I'd let anyone know who was considering buying this about my experience.

Ascendent

Are you running an Nforce 3 chipset board?  That card has known issues with it...I know, I experienced it first hand. frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 01:45:58 AM »

Thanks for the review. I will be picking Q4 up tomorrow!!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 07:21:53 AM »

Good review although you didn't mention anything about the bots (if any at all) and now I'm a bit worried that maybe there aren't any. That'd be a good -10 points for me if we can't practice offline with bots or fill them in for the teams on LAN games.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 09:07:48 AM »

There are no bots!  The days of going toe-to-toe with nightmare Xaero are gone. :/

I am really, really on the fence about this one.  ARGH.

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »

Same here.  I really mainly want it for the single play but am afraid of how it will run and how long it is and if any replay value at all.   Gonna hang around the fence for awhile and listen.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »

Nice review. To bad this game is the first game I find where my computer does not even qualify for the mininum requirements. Damn you 9600SE! :x

Been playing quake 3 lately though. I was amazed at how many servers there were still up playing it.  

Would be nice if someone did a review where the multiplayer were looked more upon. But there will probably be plenty of impression threads so  maybe that is redundant.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Same here.  I really mainly want it for the single play but am afraid of how it will run and how long it is and if any replay value at all.   Gonna hang around the fence for awhile and listen.

I want it too!! But 50 bucks?? Argghgh!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 02:25:57 AM »

when someone finishes the single player part I need to know how long it took you.  I will pick it up if it is over 10 hours.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 06:06:04 AM »

Without bots to keep the singleplayer replayablity alive, I'll wait for it to drop to $30 or below. It'll probably end up like Tribes Veangeance. That game didn't include bots either and they dropped support for it after it hit the clearance bins.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 03:40:53 PM »

I was hesitant, but aside from the framerate issues (had to drop my beloved AA), I'm really enjoying it.  Raven is great at atmosphere and story (though so far it's more about feeling like you're part of an ongoing battle), and that compels me to keep playing.  It's all about the single player which, for some reason, despite the fact that 2/3 of the previous Quake titles were about the single player, is incomprehensible to some.  To me, that's just fine.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 04:26:29 PM »

I am all about the single play as well, but the question is how long is it typically-under 10 hours or over?  Under, I wait for major price drop.  Over, I will pick it up at current price most likely.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 04:37:54 PM »

Did I miss something or did they not release a demo for Quake 4?  Has there ever been a Quake game where they didn't release a demo?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 04:38:53 PM »

Correct - no demo.  This is the first Quake done by Raven though, so that might be it?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2005, 10:25:03 PM »

Picked this one up...spent all day trying to make a config that runs okay...doesn't run all that well (even with the graphics SUPER STRIPPED like I did in Q3), but it's fun, I'm enjoying it.

ANYONE WANT TO PLAY SOME MULTIPLAYER??? (I'd post in the MP forums, but I thought hey, more people would probably see it here...)

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 06:40:08 AM »

It doesn't run well for you?

For me, and I know for at least a couple of others, it actually runs smoother than Doom 3 did, and looks better to boot.

*shrugs*

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 07:22:58 AM »

Well, I get about 35-45 fps average.  But I'm used to constant 80+ fps in Q3, so it runs, just not as silky smooth as I'm used to biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 08:22:04 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Well, I get about 35-45 fps average.  But I'm used to constant 80+ fps in Q3, so it runs, just not as silky smooth as I'm used to biggrin

Jesus, thats not that bad on your rig man. Shit, 80 fps. That is a pipe dream now!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »

So, for those with it, answer me this.  After playing for awhile now, throw out multi (no interest there) was it worth or do you wish you had waited for a price drop of some kind?  Debating between this and Call of Duty 2 next week.  The only problem I have with Call of Duty is that the demo showed me nothing I couldn't get in the first game with better visuals. But back to Quake, are you thinking it was worth it?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2005, 01:41:48 PM »

I have, and am reviewing COD2 right now.  Between the two?  COD2, all the way, without hesitation.  I'm jaw-clamped until Tuesday, but I'll have a review up on that day. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2005, 04:03:15 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
So, for those with it, answer me this.  After playing for awhile now, throw out multi (no interest there) was it worth or do you wish you had waited for a price drop of some kind?  Debating between this and Call of Duty 2 next week.  The only problem I have with Call of Duty is that the demo showed me nothing I couldn't get in the first game with better visuals. But back to Quake, are you thinking it was worth it?

I'm having a blast with Quake 4. The single player has a nice amount of variety and is very well done even if its not particularly innovative.  And the Doom 3 engine is still an engineering marvel- looks fantastic with a great framerate, something that FEAR can't lay claim to.  

I'm no good on the Call of Duty comparison though- I thought Call of Duty was overrated and the demo seemed like the exact same game only with better graphics which isn't really what I'm looking for.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2005, 06:16:09 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I have, and am reviewing COD2 right now.  Between the two?  COD2, all the way, without hesitation.  I'm jaw-clamped until Tuesday, but I'll have a review up on that day. smile

Hey Ron, you know how much I respect you right? Well then, EFF YOU!! Goddamnit I want COD2 almost as much as I wanted FEAR, and hearing you talk like this makes it even worse!!

Kevin-I really don't understand the people that thought CoD was overrated-compared to what? It was a step up in every way from the Medal of Honor games and really did advance that particular part of the historical shooter genre with some very cool ideas, not to mention graphics/sound/movie like story levels, etc. I mean, I understand that a lot of people don't like it, but I am not sure I understand why smile
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2005, 06:51:49 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Hey Ron, you know how much I respect you right? Well then, EFF YOU!! Goddamnit I want COD2 almost as much as I wanted FEAR, and hearing you talk like this makes it even worse!!

We could hang him from his toes.

biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2005, 08:43:45 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Kevin-I really don't understand the people that thought CoD was overrated-compared to what? It was a step up in every way from the Medal of Honor games and really did advance that particular part of the historical shooter genre with some very cool ideas, not to mention graphics/sound/movie like story levels, etc. I mean, I understand that a lot of people don't like it, but I am not sure I understand why smile

To me CoD was all smoke and mirrors, more themepark than real game.  Tactics were meaningless- every level was completely linear and it was impossible to use any sort of strategy or recon, encounters have to be "triggered".   I love great scripting but CoD at times felt more like playing Dragon's Lair.  

CoD also lacks any sort of pacing instead going full bore the entire game.  What was intense and exciting at the beginning became numbing by the end.  I enjoyed the first campaign but by the end of the relatively short game I was already bored and ready for it to end.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »

Anyone wanna set up a server strictly for some CG Q4 multiplayer action!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2005, 09:02:59 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Anyone wanna set up a server strictly for some CG Q4 multiplayer action!?

I will have the game and be ready to play in approximately 1 hour.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2005, 09:51:40 PM »

You've got 10 minutes, mister.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: