http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:08:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 4 gold  (Read 2196 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2005, 12:28:01 AM »

I hope they kept the co-op!

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:12:44 AM »

Reading the press release, all I could think of was that the boys at id must be kicking themselves for naming humanity's ultimate foe the Strogg in Quake 1, and are now unable to rid themselves of such stupidity. Ugh.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 01:21:43 AM »

Erm, the Strogg weren't in Quake 1. It was Quake 2.

/nitpick

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 01:32:24 AM »

Ahhh Quake 1. Axe + speed axe mod = carnage

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 01:37:34 AM »

Looking forward to it. WBS say it has potential.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 02:03:56 AM »

Mitch advised me that he would not go see Quake 4 if he was not able to write exactly what he felt about the title - regardless of what that was.  I'd say his enthusiasm was genuine. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 02:54:39 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Mitch advised me that he would not go see Quake 4 if he was not able to write exactly what he felt about the title - regardless of what that was.  I'd say his enthusiasm was genuine. smile

This is true. I may not have quite the Old Man Murray rep around here, but if I don't like something, regardless of what it is or who it belongs to, I have no problem saying as much. I truly enjoyed what I played, whomped ass in MP, and look forward to buying it when it streets. I'm also interested in setting up a few Quake 4 MP matches with people around here. PM me if interested, and if enough people do then we'll start something up. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 03:37:36 AM »

Did it have co-op play through the story like they said it would?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:45:31 AM »

We didn't get to test that part so I can't vouch for it one way or the other. We only played a portion of the single and then multi. If you want to check out the article, click here.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 04:16:06 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Erm, the Strogg weren't in Quake 1. It was Quake 2.

/nitpick

Er, right. Um, whatever?  :?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 04:39:44 AM »

I have done zero research on this one.

I LOVED Quake 3.  LOVED it.  So if it's gonna be like Quake 3, I'm in.

If they messed around with what was FPS perfection, then I'm out.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 05:01:08 AM »

Yeah Quake 3 was it for me, I remember the day was at bestbuy and it came time to choose between UT and Q3 glad I choose Q3. Played that game forever railgun instagib was perfection. I'm in...

Ascendent
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 05:02:30 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

This is true. I may not have quite the Old Man Murray rep around here, but if I don't like something, regardless of what it is or who it belongs to, I have no problem saying as much. I truly enjoyed what I played, whomped ass in MP, and look forward to buying it when it streets. I'm also interested in setting up a few Quake 4 MP matches with people around here. PM me if interested, and if enough people do then we'll start something up. biggrin

I saw him at QuakeCon. smile  He had this light in his eyes when he was talking with the people from Raven.  I think it'll be okay.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 05:49:23 AM »

I'm planning on getting it, but . . . .

1) I played a demo a few weeks ago and it looked alot like "Doom 3 with a squad" as in similar environments.  I'm talking single-player, of course.

2) It comes out the same day as FEAR.  Not the best choice, IMHO.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »

Exactly, if I have to choose between this and FEAR, then Quake loses big time.  Would have been better a few weeks earlier or later.  But I am eager to get Q4 whenever I can.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »

While I'm jazzed for Q4 now, FEAR gets my money day 1 as well. Probably not what id and Activision want to hear, but they scheduled their release date and I'm using my power of choice as a consumer. smile I'll pick up Q4 as well, but I'll have to check with FH on our monthly budget to see if I can squeeze it in there. biggrin

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »

Early reports I read said this one was more like Quake 2.  If that's so then I will snatch this one up.  Quake 2 was one of the most enjoyable blast fests in my FPS memory.  Oh, and I'm referring to single-player gaming.  I'm not much in to the multi stuff.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 03:44:40 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Early reports I read said this one was more like Quake 2.  If that's so then I will snatch this one up.  Quake 2 was one of the most enjoyable blast fests in my FPS memory.  Oh, and I'm referring to single-player gaming.  I'm not much in to the multi stuff.

What he said.

I played through Quake II's single-player campaign twice.  Loved it both times.  I actually have all the expansions and never quite got around to them.  Hmm...  biggrin
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 03:53:12 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Quote from: "Jancelot"

What he said.

I played through Quake II's single-player campaign twice.  Loved it both times.  I actually have all the expansions and never quite got around to them.  Hmm...  biggrin

+1 and +1.

I loved Quake2 and the expansions.  I've played through the game (not the expansions) at least 6 or more times.  Check this out for a decent update.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 06:13:30 PM »

Quake 4 vs Fear.
*Ahem* Raven's track record:
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen 2
Heretic 2
Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
Soldier of Fortune
SOF 2

Last FPS Developed by Monolith Productions: Contract Jack

Quake 4 and the company that has never made a bad shooter, Raven, FTW!!!  If I were only to get one of these, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
Except I already know that I am picking up both of these on day 1.  Actually, my shopping list for that week (17th - 24th):
quake 4
X3
Fear
Civ 4
Age of Empires 3

My wallet is already whimpering.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 06:21:40 PM »

Skewing  the list a little there Jake?

*ahem* You neglected to mention Monolith's track record of titles:
Shogo
Blood 1 & 2
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Aliens Vs. Predator 2

Oh and didn't Raven make that Star Trek Voyager shooter?  That was actually decent.

Anyway, they're both very good FPS companies.  Contract JACK was forced on the company by the publisher who wanted a quick cash in action title.  Now they've made FEAR to make up it, and we've actually played the demo of it.

That's not to say I won't get both of them if they're both good.  So far I know I'm buying FEAR, but I also have a soft spot for squad based action like in Quake 4.

The only problem is I need a series upgrade for these latest games.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 07:24:02 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Skewing  the list a little there Jake?

*ahem* You neglected to mention Monolith's track record of titles:
Shogo
Blood 1 & 2
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
Aliens Vs. Predator 2

Oh and didn't Raven make that Star Trek Voyager shooter?  That was actually decent.

Anyway, they're both very good FPS companies.  Contract JACK was forced on the company by the publisher who wanted a quick cash in action title.  Now they've made FEAR to make up it, and we've actually played the demo of it.

That's not to say I won't get both of them if they're both good.  So far I know I'm buying FEAR, but I also have a soft spot for squad based action like in Quake 4.

The only problem is I need a series upgrade for these latest games.

Of course he neglected that-otherwise he would not have been able to make his completely fallacious point. Monolith has made some phenomenal shooters, as you said: Shogo, NOLF1+NOLF2, ST:Voyager Elite Force 1+2 (very short but very fun), and of course the brilliant AvP2. A lot of us were very fond of TRON2.0 that they recently came out with.

Yes, both companies are excellent, but Monolith has made some great games.  Anyways, Quake 4. Looking forward to it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 07:41:48 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Monolith has made some phenomenal shooters, as you said: Shogo, NOLF1+NOLF2, ST:Voyager Elite Force 1+2...

Actually to quibble a bit - Raven made Elite Force 1 and the sequel was someone else entirely.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 11:08:01 PM »

Geez, I never said my list for Monolith was comprehensive. :lol:

If we are going to fully bring up Monolith's FPS past, you can't leave out the 'wonderful' Blood2:nightmares.

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 11:14:31 PM »

ps - let's see how many of you can remember Portal of Praevus in order to bring it up.  :oops:

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Monolith has made some phenomenal shooters, as you said: Shogo, NOLF1+NOLF2, ST:Voyager Elite Force 1+2...

Actually to quibble a bit - Raven made Elite Force 1 and the sequel was someone else entirely.

Shit you are absolutely right, put them in the wrong mental column.

Anyways, I am interested in Quake 4, but as someone else said, if its a money issue, and the choice is FEAR or Q4, well, FEAR is getting purchased with ZERO hesitation.

You know how I (And others)usually complain about too much hype, too much marketing, and all that jazz. This case is the exact opposite for me. There has been nowhere near enough coverage of Q4. I have no idea how it plays, no idea what the story is supposed to be like, no idea what differentiates it from Doom3, which I know officially hate, and more. There should have been a lot more marketing behind this title.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 01:54:05 AM »

Then have you actually read my preview other than skimming it, dude? smile You know how well documented my hatred of Doom 3 is and I loved what I played of Q4.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 02:31:14 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Then have you actually read my preview other than skimming it, dude? smile You know how well documented my hatred of Doom 3 is and I loved what I played of Q4.

Well, thats what I mean, the only information I have is fromyour preview and chatting on IM with you-so I guess there is some out there, but there still wasn't/isn't near enough marketing on this one. Its like Activision said "hey, Raven is making a MUCH better game than id did with their own engine, so lets just not market it as well". Ok, now I admit that didn't make a whole lot of sense, but still. I'm right or something.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 02:39:11 AM »

I'm not arguing on the lack of marketing. I guess they're banking on the name to sell itself, but I've seen jack all for it. Compare this with the marketing blitz for Doom 3 and it's night and day. I mean, moreso than comparing anything with light to Doom 3. slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 03:00:00 AM »

Dark and light, or good game and bad?

:  :twisted:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 03:05:32 AM »

Dark and light, or good game and bad?

:  :twisted:

Yes.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 05:53:29 AM »

Whiteboyskim, can you descibe how the allied soldiers acted during a mission?  What were they more similar to: Call of Duty's highly scripted cannon fodder, Half-Life 2's less scripted but no less cannon fodder, Vietcong 1's good squad AI, Halo 2's intelligent cannon-fodder, or more like a sim such as Ghost Recon and such?

This'll make or break my purchase as I'm a bit tired of lone gunman games.

How was shooting enemies like?  With it like all Id games where if you shot the enemy all it meant was the enemy playing a pain sound and casually turning around to shoot you, or did they show a reaction or get stunned a bit like Halo enemies do?  E.g. did shotting an enemy make you feel like you impacted that enemy as a physical object, or that it was just another computer entity slowly subtracting damage numbers from it?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Whiteboyskim, can you descibe how the allied soldiers acted during a mission?  What were they more similar to: Call of Duty's highly scripted cannon fodder, Half-Life 2's less scripted but no less cannon fodder, Vietcong 1's good squad AI, Halo 2's intelligent cannon-fodder, or more like a sim such as Ghost Recon and such?

This'll make or break my purchase as I'm a bit tired of lone gunman games.

How was shooting enemies like?  With it like all Id games where if you shot the enemy all it meant was the enemy playing a pain sound and casually turning around to shoot you, or did they show a reaction or get stunned a bit like Halo enemies do?  E.g. did shotting an enemy make you feel like you impacted that enemy as a physical object, or that it was just another computer entity slowly subtracting damage numbers from it?

Turtle, from what I played with my fellow soldiers, they do not simply charge out into battle. If anything, they run for cover and shoot from cover. Early in the first mission, there is a moment where something very big is charging you and your squadmate. You can run in guns blazing or you can fall back while the both of you tag-team it. As I only played a sample of some levels, I cannot vouch for how much they are in the entire game but that first level the squad AI proved itself sharp and heavily invested in team work.

The enemies range from moderately strong to big-mammoth-whoop-ass-machines so your mileage will vary on how they react to being shot. There appeared to be damage modeling on the enemy skins, so if you strafe one up the middle of his chest, you'll see the bullet holes and bodily damage reflected accurately on the model. It's kind of close to Doom in the sense that some things (usually the bigger enemies) you can shoot for a while before they go down. However, you won't have to plunk zombies five times in the face before they drop, as I got the sense Q4 was better balanced in that regard.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 06:47:35 PM »

Ok Mitch, lets boil it down to this. If it was your 50$, would you spend it on this (not necessarily saying youhave to exclude somethign else).
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 07:49:06 PM »

Ok Mitch, lets boil it down to this. If it was your 50$, would you spend it on this (not necessarily saying youhave to exclude somethign else).

Yes. We know where at least $50 of my cash will go once FEAR streets, but I would plunk down the money for Q4. Bottom line.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 10:08:22 PM »

Any word on performance?  Man, I wish there was a demo so I could see how it will do.  Since it is the same as the Doom game, is the performance expected to be the same because my machine seemed to do alright.  Not great, but enough to enjoy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005, 01:36:39 AM »

I see, so the troops are more similar to Vietcong and Halo 2's smarter troops, taking cover and such.

Alright, well I'm convinced to buy Quake 4.  However, it'll be after FEAR, but it is now budgeted in to my buy list.

Thankfully, I should be getting a new job soon.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 12:11:32 PM »

I will be getting this one for sure the minute i am convince my pc can handle it.  If it can't then I will most definitely be getting it on the 360.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 01:25:36 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Any word on performance?  Man, I wish there was a demo so I could see how it will do.  Since it is the same as the Doom game, is the performance expected to be the same because my machine seemed to do alright.  Not great, but enough to enjoy.

I didn't get the chance to examine the test rigs carefully so I couldn't say what the demos ran on. slywink I would presume the same, or very similar, requirements for Doom 3 would be involved. To be fair, id made a Vale-like engine, I appreciate the irony of that statement, in that it scales to the user's rig. I can only assume Q4 will follow suit, but we should know in the next week or so whether that's true.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: