http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 01:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake 4 70% PC Gamer  (Read 1639 times)
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2005, 08:49:10 PM »

a.k.a our Doom 3 review (94%) was way too positive and now we're acknowledging it (see also: Black and White 2, Dungeon Siege 2 reviews).

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6012&

Ouch indeed.

On a positive note, I'm always glad to save $50 dollars and however many hours would have gone into this one.  Too many great games out these days to bother with anything less than the best.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:58:24 PM »

Nope, they're not acknowledging anything, it's just that Id, Raven, or the publisher didn't pile up enough cash in the briefcase to make them raise the score up higher.

Thankfully, I already plan to get FEAR first since I already know how it plays.  I'll wait for other quake reviews before I make a decision.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 09:05:21 PM »

Wow, 70% for PC Gamer for a title like this?? Thats like saying it sucks completely. Well, I know I am getting F.E.A.R., I mean, you couldn't keep me from that game, but I was definately considering this-and unless some more reviews really sound positive this has really sort of curbed my enthusiasm.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:13:09 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Wow, 70% for PC Gamer for a title like this?? Thats like saying it sucks completely.
Very true.  PC Gamer is the IGN of print magazines.

Of course, they gave Jeff Vogel's Avernum like a 15%, or something.  The article was not about the game at all, but about how Jimmi Hendrix died of vomit asphyxiation, and I guess we were supposed to infer that playing this excellent indie RPG classic would make us suffer a similar fate.

I stopped reading PC Gamer around the time that review was published.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 09:39:52 PM »

Disheartening.

Although, Q3DM17 with Q4 graphics is appealing, I've already played Quake 3 to absolute DEATH.  And no bots?  Say whaaaaaaa?  SP does not interest me at all.  HUGE pass.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:51:29 PM »

For the record, I'll fall on my sword for this one so everyone can rest assured they'll hear it from the horse's mouth soon enough. If no one else buys it here based on PC Gamer saying ANYTHING about it, that's just silly. While I may disagree with a lot of the crap IGN doles out, I tend to read PC Gamer's thoughts on games like I do the comics - usually good for a laugh.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 10:23:27 PM »

Everyone touts Quake as the end-all of multi, but I gotta tell ya that I have played nothing else everyday but FEAR multi since the demo hit.  I simply cannot get enough of this baby.  The best imo.  Quake?  Quake who at this point.  

And I agree, a super duper profile game like this getting 7/10 is not a good sign.  I really want to see the opinions of single play really since that is my main interest in it in the first place.  I may dabble in the multi but the previous versions did little for me in that regard.  

Interesting score, to say the least.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 10:45:10 PM »

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the lack of bots... I realize that having the "Quake" name implies a multiplayer/bot focus, but Quake 4 is the sequel to Quake 2 (which didn't have bots either and wasn't primarily multiplayer), not Quake 3.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
A lot of people seem to be complaining about the lack of bots... I realize that having the "Quake" name implies a multiplayer/bot focus, but Quake 4 is the sequel to Quake 2 (which didn't have bots either and wasn't primarily multiplayer), not Quake 3.

Exactly. Here's the caveat regarding Q4 MP - it's exactly the same as what you've seen before. I noticed nothing new whatsoever other than skins, which means it's only a matter of time before either a modder or Raven releases a patch that adds bot functionality to it. The focus is on the SP, not the MP, which is what Quake Wars I think will address. I'm still interested in getting a group together once this hits, but as I said, I volunteer to take the Quake Challenge and confirm whether it's worth everyone picking up or not.

As for FEAR, talk about your no-brainer. biggrin Still haven't touched the MP on this one yet, so everyone here is going to be hella better at it than I once I have the game.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 11:10:48 PM »

Well I can promise you I am going to keep praciticing on the demo so I can kick your ass in a week smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 01:25:10 AM »

:lol:

Why didn't they name it Doom 4, then?  I mean, it's the sequel to Doom 2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 01:28:25 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Everyone touts Quake as the end-all of multi, but I gotta tell ya that I have played nothing else everyday but FEAR multi since the demo hit.
Quake was cool back when multiplayer deathmatch wasn't a part of every game under the sun.  Since then, there are countless games that do multiplayer better than Quake.  It's a quaint little nostalgic relic, but that's about it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 05:32:31 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
:lol:

Why didn't they name it Doom 4, then?  I mean, it's the sequel to Doom 2.

Doom 1 and 2 had a storyline progression.

Quake 1 and Quake 2 had a story as well. Quake 3 : Arena was a bot-match game, much like Unreal Tournament. Quake 4 is a return to the "maps with a point" rather than a sandbox of death mentality. smile

Hrrm, let me revise that. Doom 1, 2 and Quake 1, 2 had you enter a map/maze and expected you to come out the other side. I think the word "story" doesn't quite fit properly. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 06:09:13 AM »

I understood his point, Purge.  I just thought the way he chose to express it was ripe for parody.   biggrin

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2005, 06:50:10 PM »

OK, I'm not happy to hear this, but I will see if multplie reviews are similarly dissappointed.  I don't ask much of an FPS (orginality ranks behind storyline in my cares for Single player FPS, which is to say, right at the bottom), and Raven has always done MOTS (or 'vanilla fps') well.  

With Serious Sam 2 out this week, and Fear next week, I think my FPS craving is about to get fed Big Time.  Fear for good story & atmosphere, SS2 for insane hyper-adrenaline fix, and if Quake 4 pans out ok, old-school fps.  Hell I'll be happy. (Yes, I hate the phrase 'old-school' about as much as anyone, but in this case I'm sure my meaning is understood.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »

Oh, I should point out that I read a good portion of the Evil Avatar thread: I have no problem killing my 1,000,001th nazi, robot, demon, or Robo-Demonic Zombie Nazi.  But that's just me. AS I said, I'm easy to please in a FPS.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2005, 09:16:13 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
PC Gamer is the IGN of print magazines.

Yeah, what the hell happened to them anyway?  They used to be my favorite PC gaming mag up until a few years ago, then their quality just started sinking further and further with each month.  I made up my mind to cancel my sub when I noticed that the number of pages with ads on them outnumbered the pages with actual content.  After that I emailed them and asked why their mag had went to shit, to which Vederman replied that "there just wern't that many good PC games coming out" and "they had to have that many ads to pay for the magazine" and "there really wasn't a whole lot of new content that they didn't already have".  (*cough* bullshit *cough*)  I replied with a two-page e-mail listing all the things I would love to see in their magazine, but never got another response after that.

They still send the magazine to me though, begging for money or "This will be your last issue!".  They've been telling me that for at least a year, yet I still get a new issue in my mailbox every month.

glyc

unbreakable
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 12:37:37 AM »

I never got the whole id thing myself.  When Doom was 'it', I was playing Duke Nukem 3d.  When Quake3 was 'it', I was playing Unreal Tournament.  When Doom 3 was 'it', I was playing Painkiller.

To me, they are a name brand.  It's like somebody driving a BMW only because it's a BMW, not because they like the car.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 02:35:57 AM »

Maybe so, but in this situation, it's Raven coming up with the game that uses id tech.  I have faith in the Doom 3 engine. Is it fair so suggest that Raven didn't live up to their end of the bargain? Is that trolling too much?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 03:03:04 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Maybe so, but in this situation, it's Raven coming up with the game that uses id tech.  I have faith in the Doom 3 engine. Is it fair so suggest that Raven didn't live up to their end of the bargain? Is that trolling too much?

If Q4 ends up sucking, then you would be perfectly correct and valid in stating that Raven didn't live up to their end of the bargain-unless Activision skimped them on time/money/whatever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: