http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzle Quest for DS/PSP  (Read 24126 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 05, 2007, 05:30:24 PM

How do you guys spend your gold?  Do you buy new equipment for your character or go for all the citadel upgrades first?  I don't know what to do.  I purchased the dungeon and the stable (to train mounts).  I'm now hesitant to purchase anything.  I would like to upgrade my equipment but I could really use those citadel upgrades.  Any thoughts???

On a related note, how the heck do you get lots of gold?  I'm currently a Level 11 Knight and I have only 1,100 gold saved up and I'm unsure how to spend it because I don't want to gimp my Knight.

I don't think your money problems will last very long.  The item offering in the stores doesn't scale all that well as you go up in level--for me at least there were a lot of long stretches where I couldn't see anything in the shop that was better than rune-made, quest-given, or items I bought long ago.  I'm past level 40 now and I'm still using two items I bought in my teen levels (Firewalker Staff, Ultimate Troll Ring).

So I don't think you have any risk of gimping your knight, no matter how you choose to spend your gold.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2007, 02:18:28 PM »

Finally figured out a few of the capture puzzles, so now I have Giant Rat, Griffon, Giant Spider, Wolf, and Dragon Spider mounts.  I've been mainly using the Dragon Spider for the Fire Mastery plusses, and he's up to level 6.  Just got a spell (30th level) that doubles the amount of purple stars in play.  Combine that with my Divine Right spell that clears the board of stars, and it's an awesome combo.  I love how both you and the enemies have started being able to resist spells.  Makes the battles more interesting since you're not entirely sure your spells will have any effect.

Had an epic battle sieging a city this morning.  He was at 1 hp, and I was at 2.  I had used up all my mana for Stun and Thrust, and there were no skull plays available on the board.  He had enough mana to cast a spell that would kill me, so I had to do something to avoid sending the turn back to him.  Took a chance on a red mana match, which just happened to give me both an extra turn and enough mana to cast Thrust on a single skull for the 1 hp of damage I needed to win.

Stuff like this is why I absolutely love Puzzle Quest.  Easily the best game on the DS right now.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 07, 2007, 02:18:28 PM

Stuff like this is why I absolutely love Puzzle Quest.  Easily the best game on the DS right now.

And the PSP. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2007, 05:24:37 PM »

What I want to know is why my griffon mount doesn't fly.  Instead I have to ride him while he walks with his chicken legs and, frankly, it's a bit embarrassing.   icon_biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »

Maybe it's a chocobo in disguise  icon_biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 09, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »

Thank you GameFAQs forum via Penny-Arcade's forum, we now have....capture puzzle solutions!

I'm happy to say I've solved most of them on my own so far, but there are some that have long since left "fun" and entered deep into "annoying."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 09, 2007, 04:22:25 PM »

So I plugged some hours into this puppy this last Easter weekend and now I'm a level 44 wizard just powering my way through quests.  I haven't done any of the "easy" ways to earn gold (just go from place to place...) or exp (the 200 exp catapult quest) & found that it's been a very good balance throughout the game.  No idea how far away I am from the end, but I'm feeling like I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And oooh what a tunnel it has been.  What a gloriously additive game.

unbreakable
« Reply #207 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »

Are the quests very different among the various classes?

I'm pretty amazed at how long the game is, and how many quests.  And the amazing thing is, it never gets boring.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 09, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 09, 2007, 04:32:22 PM

Are the quests very different among the various classes?

I'm pretty amazed at how long the game is, and how many quests.  And the amazing thing is, it never gets boring.

I don't think there's any difference in the quests between classes.
unbreakable
« Reply #209 on: April 09, 2007, 09:58:03 PM »

Some of the AI cheating really annoys me, especially against either really low-level creatures or ones with magic resistance.

The "easy" monsters get a really bad case of "garbage-time", where they start getting insane mega combos when they have less than like 50 hp.

And feel free to test this one yourself: creatures with magic resistance will almost ALWAYS throw up resist when there is a really good move on the board, like a 4-5 match, or a well placed wildcard.  When fighting an Arboleth, sometimes it gets so bad that I'll just make the move and not use an ability (and thus let the next turn go to the AI).

I don't lose because of any of it, but it does needlessly extend how long the battle lasts.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »

*shrug* I haven't seen any sign that it cheats. I really think this is a case of skewed perception in the sense that we tend to remember when things go against us more so than when they go in our favor.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:19 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 09, 2007, 09:58:03 PM

Some of the AI cheating really annoys me, especially against either really low-level creatures or ones with magic resistance.

The "easy" monsters get a really bad case of "garbage-time", where they start getting insane mega combos when they have less than like 50 hp.

And feel free to test this one yourself: creatures with magic resistance will almost ALWAYS throw up resist when there is a really good move on the board, like a 4-5 match, or a well placed wildcard.  When fighting an Arboleth, sometimes it gets so bad that I'll just make the move and not use an ability (and thus let the next turn go to the AI).

I don't lose because of any of it, but it does needlessly extend how long the battle lasts.

the computer doesn't cheat, that's just your conspiracy gene turning on slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2007, 05:12:50 AM »

It's way too consistant to be a conspiracy theory.

I'm telling you, a resist comes EVERY fricken time there is a choice move up on the board.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 10, 2007, 05:12:50 AM

It's way too consistant to be a conspiracy theory.

I'm telling you, a resist comes EVERY fricken time there is a choice move up on the board.

I totally swear, if you open the top of the DS one more notch, so that it's open flat, and then turn it upside down when you try to cast a spell it will never get resisted.  Last night this worked like 20 times in a row.

slywink
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 09, 2007, 11:15:14 PM

*shrug* I haven't seen any sign that it cheats. I really think this is a case of skewed perception in the sense that we tend to remember when things go against us more so than when they go in our favor.

+1.  I had a battle last night where I snapped off nearly 150 damage and took about 8 turns before the AI even had a chance to move.  He probably thought I was cheating too.  slywink

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »

Heh, I was fighting an Arkliche runekeeper and he destroyed me in 2 turns.
On the first, he had a major mana cascade. On the second, he dropped the power
that does half your health in damage and creates more skulls the more damage it does.
So long, mister Knight!

I came back and beat him on the second try, but it was tricky.

unbreakable
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »

In about half my fights, the AI will get to full mana in the first two turns.

Since I can just keep chaining stuns, I eventually win anyway... but it's still annoying how the stun gets resisted every time the AI figures it wants to move.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2007, 04:57:39 PM »

I don't particularly notice any cheating for the most part... however, the resists can be really interesting.  Like a 20% chance to resist working 3 or 4 times in a row.  Not impossible, but seems to happen more than it really should.  Also, how unlucky do you have to be to have a 1% resist chance get you?   icon_cool

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:59 AM »

So yesterday me and my knight came up against that two headed ogre that everyone says took them multiple attempts and is really hard.  I was very scared.

I pounded him into the ground.  I don't think I dropped below half health.  Obviously I rule, and you, as the saying goes, drool.

However, I still haven't run across the legendary bat.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 12, 2007, 11:40:59 AM

So yesterday me and my knight came up against that two headed ogre that everyone says took them multiple attempts and is really hard.  I was very scared.

I pounded him into the ground.  I don't think I dropped below half health.  Obviously I rule, and you, as the saying goes, drool.

However, I still haven't run across the legendary bat.

Bite me. smile  I have been fighting him for 3 days. 

There are battles where he has done 50 points of damage before I even move.  It is very, very easy to see why people accuse the game of cheating when that happens.

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2007, 04:33:19 PM »

I can't seem to find this anywhere for the PSP. I've looked at Wal-mart, Circuit City, and Best Buy.

Where have you guys with a PSP been getting this?

Thanks!
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2007, 04:48:55 PM »

I also looked everywhere, finally found it at a gamestop, manager had never heard of it . I hate this game, since i can't seem to quit playing it
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2007, 08:48:33 PM »

I ordered my copy off of gamestop.com.  Wasn't inclined to go wandering from store to store hoping I might find a copy.  Also I'm impatient.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2007, 06:00:23 PM »

I miss the old thread title!

So I just finished the game.  I really enjoyed the experience, but I have to say I'm real disappointed in how little of the huge map you end up exploring.  If it was on the PC version I could hope for an expansion pack to let me see the rest of the world, but on the DS it's just going to be a big tease.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 14, 2007, 06:00:23 PM

So I just finished the game.  I really enjoyed the experience, but I have to say I'm real disappointed in how little of the huge map you end up exploring.  If it was on the PC version I could hope for an expansion pack to let me see the rest of the world, but on the DS it's just going to be a big tease.

Just out of curiosity, what level were you at completion?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 14, 2007, 06:59:28 PM

I had just recently hit level 50.  This is with me doing every single side quest, and capturing every town and rune.  Never did instant action or "choose your opponent."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »

Has anyone tried playing online yet? Seems like it might be fun.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2007, 10:36:23 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 14, 2007, 09:36:57 PM

I thought that both games only supported local play. Or have I just not dug into my PSP's settings to see if I can play online?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2007, 11:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 14, 2007, 10:36:23 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 14, 2007, 09:36:57 PM

I thought that both games only supported local play. Or have I just not dug into my PSP's settings to see if I can play online?

It might - I actually haven't tried yet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 14, 2007, 09:35:14 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 14, 2007, 06:59:28 PM

I had just recently hit level 50.  This is with me doing every single side quest, and capturing every town and rune.  Never did instant action or "choose your opponent."

Thanks.  I'm about level 43 doing all the side stuff, so I guess I'm probably close to being done as well.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2007, 12:52:24 AM »

I just dinged level 48 - have been doing everything, including seiging ever city, battling every Runekeeper & "Instant Action"ing opponents so I could catch them.

I feel like the game is winding down.  Fairly clear on my objective.

Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2007, 03:16:18 AM »

I did finally find a copy at Gamestop (they didn't have any last week) and it is indeed a genious game. I'm headed to Europe on a business trip so it should keep my company on the plane(s).

Thanks to everyone for recommending it.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2007, 04:42:03 AM »

Aw, they don't let you into the whole map?  That sucks.  You're right, it's just a big tease if they show you all this area, and then don't let you actually go into it.  How much of the map do you actually get to look at?

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »

I've been on hiatus from the game for a bit. I am on the last fight for Chocobo Tales though, so I can get back to it soon.
My gaming time is going to be limited for a while, though, between work and preparing to move (in process of buying a new place).
Anyway, I had just defeated the mechataur and wanted to get some new rune items before heading into the minotaur area,
but they are tough to make.

Incidentally, has anyone found a rune of water? I'd love to know where one is.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 15, 2007, 04:42:03 AM

Aw, they don't let you into the whole map?  That sucks.  You're right, it's just a big tease if they show you all this area, and then don't let you actually go into it.  How much of the map do you actually get to look at?

Spoiler warning just in case, just listing where on the map you won't go:
Spoiler for Hiden:
You never enter the big snowy corner in the northwest, or that entire western strip of land below it.  You don't visit that island in the center, or that land mass in the south.  You also don't go further south  than Drakenburg and Gallia.  It looks like at least 2/3 of the map you don't get to see.

Quote from: Misguided on April 15, 2007, 02:16:32 PM

Incidentally, has anyone found a rune of water? I'd love to know where one is.
It does exist, but I don't remember where I got it.  The runes usually seem to be listed in the order you got them, so from my list it looks like Water comes after Fire, Earth, and Air, but before Trolls and Shells.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2007, 07:04:49 PM »

Finished this myself. I didn't siege every town, but tried to every sidequest. I actually saw one over in the East I missed, so I guess I'll send my knight over there at some point. Great game. I was surprised at how big a pushover Lord Bane was. I actually found his Doomknights more difficult and those damned plants of his way more difficult.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
depward

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 15, 2007, 07:04:49 PM

Finished this myself. I didn't siege every town, but tried to every sidequest. I actually saw one over in the East I missed, so I guess I'll send my knight over there at some point. Great game. I was surprised at how big a pushover Lord Bane was. I actually found his Doomknights more difficult and those damned plants of his way more difficult.

Finished it as well.  Sieged every town, completed every sidequest.  This game was addictive as crack.  Would highly recommend it to people that want either a puzzle or RPG fix for the DS.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 16, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »

How long did it take to finish?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 16, 2007, 04:11:21 PM

How long did it take to finish?
REALLY wish the game had a timer... but if I had to guess, maybe 35 - 40 hours?

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »

Are there any tips anywhere?  I'm not very good- have played a bit with the PC demo- but the AI seems to never miss a combination and chains together moves taht smoke me like a salmon.

You'd think low level enemies would miss a combo or two. Kinda frustrating.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: