http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 01:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Punch-Out!! (Wii) Impressions  (Read 1632 times)
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »

I picked this up from Best Buy today and was able to put in a couple of rounds this afternoon.  As a huge fan of the original Mike Tyson's Punch Out, I've been looking forward to this.

Quick first impressions:

Pros:
- Outstanding job of preserving the old school feel with a massive face lift.  Even the intro screen reminds me of the original.
- Controls well using the nunchuck sideways (didn't play motion control)
- Easy to jump right in and play.
- Wonderful use of humor in the characters.
- Fun to play!

Cons:
- Occasional loads a bit longer than I would have expected
- No Mike Tyson license. :p

Feels like a great game to play in short bursts.  So far I say 'Great remake!'
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »

On it's way for a bday gift for a friend... looking forward to invading his basement.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »

Completely agree with what VegasD posted other than the Mike Tyson thing. Not really important to me.

What I really like is that the characters, while familiar, have a lot of nuances and tweaks to their formulas. Figuring out the moves all over again is great. I am on to the second half of the game already, and the title defense fights are a bear so far. Definitely a great re-envisioning of the series.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »

Thanks for the impressions guys.  This is my most anticipated Wii game, though I won't be able to get it for a while (bought too may 360 games after finally acquiring a 360). 

Go Gunners...
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »

I'm surprised at the apparent lack of interest in this title (in this forum at least).

After a couple of hours of play I'm finding it to be just as fun as the original.  I'm currently getting whooped by the bear hug dude, that kick/slap is punishing.  He seems to have three unique moves, all timed differently of course, that he strings together in short order.  I'm looking forward to getting the timing down to send him to the mat.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »

Quote from: VegasD on May 21, 2009, 03:27:18 PM

I'm surprised at the apparent lack of interest in this title (in this forum at least).

After a couple of hours of play I'm finding it to be just as fun as the original.  I'm currently getting whooped by the bear hug dude, that kick/slap is punishing.  He seems to have three unique moves, all timed differently of course, that he strings together in short order.  I'm looking forward to getting the timing down to send him to the mat.

I think people are just afraid of shoddy waggle controls with an action game.  Once the word gets out, I think it'll catch on.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

Got it, but haven't played yet - Stay tuned for my 2 word impressions!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »

I plan on renting this as soon as I see it available at Blockbuster.  I loved the original Mike Tyson Punchout. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 21, 2009, 04:43:26 PM

I plan on renting this as soon as I see it available at Blockbuster.  I loved the original Mike Tyson Punchout. 

I did too, and this almost motivated me to pick up a Wii.  If it wasn't for such a crappy controller.  I can't stand the Wii's controller. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »

How different is this from the original?  Reason I ask is I bought the original on the VC store 2 weeks ago and finished it - will I be beating the exact same version of King Hippo with better graphics?

Edit: read the gamespot review - they mention that once you become champion, the strategies change quite a bit as does the difficulty level.  For example, I guess Glass Joe shows up with a metal helmet to protect his jaw... and is actually difficult to defeat!   I may have to pick this up anyways.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on May 21, 2009, 05:09:34 PM

How different is this from the original?  Reason I ask is I bought the original on the VC store 2 weeks ago and finished it - will I be beating the exact same version of King Hippo with better graphics?

Edit: read the gamespot review - they mention that once you become champion, the strategies change quite a bit as does the difficulty level.  For example, I guess Glass Joe shows up with a metal helmet to protect his jaw... and is actually difficult to defeat!   I may have to pick this up anyways.

Even the first time through they are a little different.  King Hippo as an example breaks out a new move half way through round 1 that you won't have seen in the original.  smile
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »

I got through Bear Hugger in a quick sit down with the game after buying it this morning.

And my impressions?  Fantastic.  I love the nostalgia, the controls are great (I'm playing it with the Wiimote turned on its side), and I have no regrets with my purchase so far.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

I wasn't really that interested in this game, but the reviews have been great and I noticed that it supports the balance board. I would probably get it at the $30 price point; I have a hard time justifying $40 or $50 for a new game unless it is something I am highly anticipating. All of these Steam sales have also spoiled me and the amazing Plants vs. Zombies (so much content for $10).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »

I almost bought a Wii just for this game.  I may still!
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »

I bought this yesterday.  I never played the originals but this seems like loads of fun.  I'm not very good so far, but I'm enjoying it.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »

I am up to Soda Popinski after one session. So far I have enjoyed it greatly. I just hope that after I finish it there is more challenge. I also hope there are some more hidden opponents in there.

LiveTAG: happydog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 12:09:55 AM »

Quote from: happydog on May 21, 2009, 10:03:28 PM

I am up to Soda Popinski after one session. So far I have enjoyed it greatly. I just hope that after I finish it there is more challenge. I also hope there are some more hidden opponents in there.

More impressions, first, the regular guys have a lot of nuances to their 'classic' move sets, which I really liked. After winning the title there is a load more challenge. Namely things like Glass Joe wearing headgear so he can't be hit in the head etc. Some of the other characters have radical changes that make them quite difficult. I really love the second King Hippo fights as there are some neat tweaks to his fight now.

Also there is one more fighter at the end of title defense. You may be able to see this character in the crowd...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:45 PM »

I read the game can be played using classic controls (no waggle!) is this true? If I can play it without inaccurate, shoddy waggle controls I am 100% in.

Can anyone confirm?

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on May 23, 2009, 03:30:45 PM

I read the game can be played using classic controls (no waggle!) is this true? If I can play it without inaccurate, shoddy waggle controls I am 100% in.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, you can play the entire game using the Wii-mote sideways so it's laid out like the original NES controller.  GiantBomb's Ryan Davis and Jeff Gerstmann have a long-standing disdain for the Wii's motion controls that date all the way back to the first unboxing video they did for GameSpot, and they stuck with the "traditional" controls throughout their Quick Look of Punch-Out.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

On the flipside, I think there's a chance my wife might have fun with this game if the waggle controls work well.  How well do they work?  Are they precise enough to feel like your guy is always doing what you intend him to do?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 23, 2009, 04:27:31 PM

On the flipside, I think there's a chance my wife might have fun with this game if the waggle controls work well.  How well do they work?  Are they precise enough to feel like your guy is always doing what you intend him to do?

I think they're pretty excellent.  I've had more problems with the movement controls, but even those are pretty minor (springback issues, for example).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 06:16:04 PM »

Picked this up yesterday and play for about two hours straight with the motion controls (am sore today).  The game is all the fun of the old Punch Out games and I really love it.  The waggle controls make it more fun as you do the punching.  I did try the balance board mode, but stopped as I didn't feel as effective in dodging.  I would lean left and when I would stop leaning, I would go too far right and it would lean right as well.  On some of the fighters at the higher levels, I had enough trouble dodging the right way with the stick, so I think I will wait until I am much more comfortable with the game to do more balance board.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »

I've beaten the game in the default mode, and I really enjoyed it, though the final boss was a bitch!

Now on to the alternate version of each character, and after getting worked by Glass Joe already, I can tell it will be much harder!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
VegasD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »

I'm up to Bald Bull and am nearing the ability to beat him.  Having a blast with the game so far.  Maybe after I beat it I will try the motion controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: