http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 10:08:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psychonauts!!!  (Read 12831 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 04:56:19 PM »

Psychonauts is already out? I'm planning on getting it for the PC and using my Logitech Wireless PS2 controller and a Playstation->USB adapter to play the game console-style on my PC

Rather off-topic, but i really need to know - Lord E., why would you not just use your TV?  Is there any advantage other than if your TV is worse than your monitor :?:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2005, 05:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Psychonauts is already out? I'm planning on getting it for the PC and using my Logitech Wireless PS2 controller and a Playstation->USB adapter to play the game console-style on my PC

Rather off-topic, but i really need to know - Lord E., why would you not just use your TV?  Is there any advantage other than if your TV is worse than your monitor :?:
The game is $30 on the PC and $50 on a console.

Or are you talking about using a TV as a monitor?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2005, 05:55:30 PM »

no, that's the answer - and I should have known, just didn't think of it.  I guess I can spend the extra 20 bucks on the game because I spent so little on this laptop, LOL!  and that'll tell you one reason why I'm not a PC gamer :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2005, 03:24:09 AM »

The $20 price tag after rebate at EBgames plus the free deck of cards sold me.  Now to find a replacement for my original Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

Son of a bitch. I preordered this game from gamestop the first day it was available for preorder. Months ago even! It changed from preorder to "usually ships in 24 hours" and sat there for days. Every pre other order from gamestop would go from preorder to processing to shipping. Yet day after day, Psychonauts just sat there "usually ships in 24 hours" this morning I get a message that its now backordered and they don't expect to get anymore in for 6 to 8 weeks. WTF???

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2005, 01:42:46 PM »

Holy crap!  That sucks Rob...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2005, 05:05:53 PM »

The demo did not grab me for some reason.  Actually, I can't seem to understand how people found the demo funny?  I didn't even laugh once.  I kept waiting for the laugh your ass off comedy, but it never came.  I also thought the controls were too "swingy" (i.e. bounce around too much or too free flowing - not really smooth if you can understand that).

I love platformers too.  I enjoyed Crash Twinsanity, Ratchet & Clank, Voodoo Vince, the Spyro's, and on and on.

I still might pick this up after some price drops.

About the only thing that did catch my attention was the music from the demo.  Pretty catchy stuff.

I guess I'm kind of weird because I also found nothing great about Katamari Damacy. :?  That one bored the heck out of me.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2005, 03:03:07 AM »

This game is absolutely outstanding. I`ve only played about an hour so far, but wow. The graphics aren`t the best tech out there, but it is nice and the art design is this game is REALLY good. Probably the most original I`ve ever seen in a game. I`m going to play with the wife some late tonight and I can`t wait to see what happens next in this crazy game. Anywho, it`s a great game from what I`ve seen so far. The controls seems good, the sound is just as good as the video!, the gameplay rocks, and it`s funny as hell to me. BTW, didn`t the same guy make maniac mansion back in the day?slywink That was a great game. Just curious.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2005, 06:29:06 PM »

anyone have new impressions? i am 10 hours in and just love it. it's weird to have a good plot in a platformer, that's usually reserved for rpgs. the art is great. the humor is top notch.  i love it. downside? the movie parts seem to have low resolution - real hit or miss. did anybody else notice the sometimes poor quality of the cut scenes (on xbox)?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2005, 06:38:18 AM »

I`m still REALLY liking this game. I`ve been busy though, and the wife and I are  playing on the weekends. Best game in a long time for me. Super original, and it just gets WAY better as it goes. We`re only about 5 hours in, but wow, just wow. The art direction in this game is crazy drool . A few beverages go a long way with us and this game. The action is easy to get into, but there`s enough to be deep enough for this game. You`re ALWAYS doing new things. Great game. I must go sleep. Night.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2005, 10:41:38 PM »

I'm in my final push to the end.  I can count on one hand the number of games I've finished in the last year, so that's very high praise from me.  Some of the most inventive level design I've seen in a while, from an artistic and gameplay perspective.  It's telling that once I finish it, I'll probably be going back in to find all the memory vaults I've missed, so I can get each character's backstory.

For everyone who's been complaining about a lack of good platformers, or good non-shooter games on the Xbox in general, go pick this one up.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2005, 10:49:34 PM »

How long do you guys estimate the game is?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2005, 11:01:18 PM »

Eldon will have a review in the next day or two.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »

The wife and I play this one slow and check it all out. So far we`re 5 or 6 hours in, and we aren`t far. Judging by reviews, and what I`ve played. The game is probably 15-20 hours for most people, maybe a bit less or more, I`m not sure. Great game though. Spoiler, maybe...

The lungfish part ROCKS!!!
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »

i'm 13 hours in and going into the last level. if you really take your time and find everything i bet this game is 20 hours. i don't like to search out every detail the first time through - that way i have a reason to replay my favorites. second sight may have only been 7 hours long but i have played it at least 3 times through. i sure enjoy that one.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »

How the heck do you use the dowsing rod for arrow heads?

I wonder around, waves start shooting out, it changes color. I start hitting Y but I can not hit it fast enough to get it higher thhan 2/3rds up the chart. Any tips?

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2005, 02:34:25 PM »

The dowsing rod seems pretty sensitive.  What I usually did was find the hotspot, then start mashing Y.  Then I'd slowly move around the area until the meter moved higher.  The closer you are, the easier it is to get it to max out.  If you're not right on the spot, you can still get it to max, but you have to really mash the crap out of the button.  I'd just finished God of War, so my button mashing skillz were leet.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 02:51:44 PM »

Three things that annoyed me from the demo were:
[list=1]
  • No sound of footsteps while walking - just dead silence.
  • No sound when double jumping (where that big ball appears when you double jump).
  • No sound effects while attacking.[/list:o]
    Is this true in the full game as well or was it changed?

The no sound thing really, really ruined my enjoyment of the demo.  So, if this was changed in the full game I might pick it up.

Thanks!

XM Channel 76
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2005, 12:58:35 AM »

Starshifter there is sound for those events.

As for my problem, turns out my batteries on my wireless controller were dying. Change batteries and /I was pulling out arrow heads like mad

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »

Thanks Rob!

In that case, it's mine next week along with Donkey Konga 2.

XM Channel 76
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2005, 12:16:42 PM »

I'm about half way through at the 12 hour mark. I'm a little bit slower since I have to try everything. Get a new power, go back to the camp to try it out. There are some funny things that you'll miss if you just play straight through. So far my favorite level is the Milkman.

One thing that surprises me is how dark the subject matter is. Especially those vault slide shows.

Anyways,  I watched the Xplay review the other night and I'm rather confused. They rated it 4 out of 5. Which is what I would rate it as well.I really love the game and I am a fan of platformers so there isn't any adventure game bias but the platform action has a few issues that keeps it away from profection. On the Xplay's opener, they said Psychonauts was as good as some of the best games and equaly to the new Resident Evil on the GC.  In the full review, they raved about it. The only negative thing they said is the ps2 version wasn't out yet. So, if that was the only negative point,  why did they not give it a 5 out of 5?

zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2005, 03:30:06 PM »

x-play said psychonauts was as good as re4 on the gamecube? that's insane, this game can't touch re4. if nothing else in psychonauts the camera is iffy at times and i found the controls to be mushy at times. crazyness.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2005, 08:15:02 AM »

Quote from: "zuggo"
x-play said psychonauts was as good as re4 on the gamecube? that's insane, this game can't touch re4. if nothing else in psychonauts the camera is iffy at times and i found the controls to be mushy at times. crazyness.

I LOVED re4, but this game is WAY more original in every way possible. Plus, these certainly aren`t apples to apples. Forza is so much better than pinball... :wink:
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 07:03:40 PM »

Kevin Grey on QT3 saw the NPD numbers on Psychonauts:

XBX PSYCHONAUTS $640,731 12,912

Ugly. Very Ugly. Hopefully the PS2 version coming out in a few months sells much better. (it would be cool if the PC version beats the Xbox version somehow)

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 07:13:36 PM »

It should get long run sales via word of mouth and reviews.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 07:19:31 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
It should get long run sales via word of mouth and reviews.

Unfortunately that almost never happens with titles that debut so low (Beyond Good & Evil being one of only many examples).  We'd all like for that to be the case though.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »

Well I will make sure I order a bunch of crap off double fine's store once it takes credit cards to so my support.

/edit:
they take credit cards now. Time to order while the iron is hot.

zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 10:52:53 PM »

low sales huh? i don't think the game is even available at target or best buy.

seems like the only off-the-wall games that have really sold well this generation are katamari damacy and warioware for the gba.

i liked psychonauts, but i could see how many people would disregard it.
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 10:58:25 PM »

oh and Harpua3, my comment was based on taking each game (re4 and psychonauts) on it's own merits.

i really wanted to love psychonauts to death. instead i just liked it.

on the other hand, i truly beleive that re4 is one of the best game on any console this generation. the work that went into it really shows.

enough about that though. we are here to talk about psychonauts. i hope that tim sticks with the consoles in the future and i hope that people find this game on the ps2.

they should have released it on the cube. i think on the cube you have gamers who are more willing to enjoy unique experiences (animal crossing/cubivore/pikmin). okay.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »

I can't find a link to it right nowq, but they did try to find a company to port it to the Gamecube and they weren't able to find anyone who  wanted to take it on and could deliver it around the same time as the other versions.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2005, 06:01:37 PM »

I think Gamecube would have been the best platform for the game.  It wouldn't have been a blockbuster or anything but titles like this, at least when they are Cube Exclusive, generally do pretty decently. It certainly wouldn't/couldn't have done any worse.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2005, 03:27:39 AM »

(disclaimer) Ressurecting this thread of old as I just played and finished this one and could not find current thread. (end disclaimer)

First off, wow what a fun game. Played the PC demo and was impressed enough to hunt it down on the XBox only to find out they are not selling it at BestBuy. So had to rent it which ended up working as I played it every chance I got till I finished it.

Definetly one of the most creative and enjoyable games out there currently. But as others have said in this thread it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of press. Someone mentioned Beyond Good & Evil and unfortunatly it looks like this one falls in that same category; hidden gem.

In any case after finishing it (great complete ending) had a few questions for things I never got to do and find out.

(spoiler alert)

So here are my questions, two really:

1) What do you get for completing the scavenger hunt? I couldn't find many items and by the time I started picking up several I was closing in on the end of the game.

2) There was a cut scene where those two cheerleeder characters (punch punch punch!) were plotting something. However I must have missed the final cut sequence with them as it was never resolved on my end. So what was their story? What were they planning to do?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2005, 04:15:15 AM »

I rented this but have been so busy that I only played it for about 2 hours on the XBox. So far I LOVE it, but its late already so I think I am gong to have to return it and rent it again another day since its almost impossible to find frown

Really its an incredible shame, because so far its one of the most fun, cute, clever, imaginative games I have played in a long time (although so far the platform action is a little on the vanilla side).
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2005, 07:53:25 AM »

Wow. Post back from the dead. The wife and I have been still trying to find time to play this. We are aout 50-75% through it I think. Absolutely fantastic game.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2005, 08:02:39 AM »

Well, looks like I'll be giving this game a go. I'll be sure to spread the word around to my friends to give the game a try.

Ico is one of those games that didn't get press, but it sure as hell was and is still the most beloved game I have ever played. Nothing at all has absolutely enthralled me at the level Ico did for me, yet. God of War was close (Artististic style combined with wonderful gameplay = a game for me) but didn't take the throne from Ico.

This is coming from a person with over 21 years of gaming experience, so you can see how I am so very picky about what makes a Majestic gaming experience.

Not Awesome, not cool, not good, not great, not elite, no...

Majestic.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2005, 05:07:18 PM »

I finally found time to get back into this myself and I'm really enjoying it this far.  I think the problem it will face in overall sales is that you really have to have the mentality where you want to take your time and listen to all of the conversations going on around you to really appreciate how funny the game is and how much time must have been spent on the writing and voice acting.
I don't know if the general gaming public has that kind of patience.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2005, 05:24:29 PM »

Quote from: "markus"
I don't know if the general gaming public has that kind of patience.

Same thing goes for those who couldn't understand the ending to KOTOR 2. :wink:

XM Channel 76
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2005, 03:12:10 PM »

yep, the game is well crafted but it is esoteric at it's core. i relate this game to ico or beyond good and evil, few will play it but it will be talked about and recommended by those who have played it...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2005, 05:32:12 PM »

Thats an odd use of esoteric.

Anyways, I played my rental XBox version for a few hours and loved it enough to want to buy it (got caught up in studying and didnt finish it) and I worked out a good trade for the PC version, so I will be back into it again soon smile
zuggo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2005, 07:56:23 PM »

esoteric - intended for or understood by only a chosen few.

i think psychonauts falls into that category. especially when it has to compete for shelf space near halo and splinter cell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: