http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psychonauts!!!  (Read 13329 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2005, 03:14:32 AM »

Quote from: "zuggo"
esoteric - intended for or understood by only a chosen few.

i think psychonauts falls into that category. especially when it has to compete for shelf space near halo and splinter cell.

No no, I understand what the word means, thanks. Its just an odd way to use it in a sentence.

Still, I agree that Psychonauts is a niche game that deserves to sell much more than it did, if anything simply for its sheer creativity and ingenuity.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2006, 08:00:08 PM »

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I rented this game last week and finally beat it last night.

Awesome game, in so many ways.  Great level design, acting, gameplay.

Only thing I really disliked was the last stage.  It's like their creativity vanished after designing Black Velvetopia.  Chasing after little Oly and then doing all the acrobatic stuff with Raz's evil father were so pointless and frustrating.

Other than that, awesome!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2007, 02:40:49 PM »

ARISE FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE GAMING TREND ARCHIVES!!!!!

Since the weekend recap thread seems to be going slightly askew with talk of how poor fools missed out on the glories of Psychonauts I figured this thread would serve as a better recepticle for such talk.

If you have missed this game, then go pick it up for Xbox or PC ASAP. It is now BC on the 360 and is worth your time. A great story that takes place in a summer game for psychic school kids and starring a 10 year old boy with a circus performing family, Psychonauts is all about coming to terms with who you are as a person. The game is chock-full of genius moments including the legendary "The Milkman Conspiracy" which has more laughs moment for moment than most films. The punchline to this level alone is worth playing the game for because it's something you'll never see coming. One level after another will absolutely blow you away with creativity with the only knock against the game being the final level which goes on for far too long. Otherwise, this is one for the record books and yet another stunning example of why Tim Schafer deserves our unflinching support for everything his company makes. thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »

I have started it several times on PC and Xbox and never got more than 1/3 done (I love the game just have been distracted). I forgot about it for some reason but it is now back in the backlog (very high on the list too) and I am going to play it soon.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2007, 03:23:35 PM »

Ratchet & Clank > Psychonauts
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »

if i could find a decent used copy, i'd pick it up.  any hope of bg&e getting bc support, ever?  i found one in good shape recently, and almost grabbed it.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »

what a coincidence!  i found this used at my local GS on saturday for 12.99 in perfect condition.  Snapped it up as well as a brand new copy of another great, BC game Phantom Dust (for only 5 bucks, i might add).

it was a red letter day for console games for me.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 08:13:43 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »

I need to give this another shot, as it didn't really grab me when I played it the first time.  I remember getting stuck with something very early on, and not having any desire to keep going.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »

The game is supposed to be coming to Gametap in the next few weeks.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 05, 2007, 07:44:29 PM

The game is supposed to be coming to Gametap in the next few weeks.

6-14!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »

Screw that, I'm buying a new copy to play on the 360.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 06, 2007, 07:32:27 AM

do they still have new copies available?  meh, who am I kidding-  I can't justify buying a game that I can get from Gametap (which I'm already paying for).

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2007, 03:25:26 PM

Quote from: Turtle on June 06, 2007, 07:32:27 AM

do they still have new copies available?  meh, who am I kidding-  I can't justify buying a game that I can get from Gametap (which I'm already paying for).

Yeah me too-going to play it on PC at this point.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2007, 12:46:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2007, 07:35:54 PM

I need to give this another shot, as it didn't really grab me when I played it the first time.  I remember getting stuck with something very early on, and not having any desire to keep going.
stick with it for a little while.  the start is a little slow, but the quality of the story and level design really picks up as you get farther into the game.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »

Once I got to the training mission with the censors is when I began to believe the game was something special. The thing that put me over the top was the mental vault found in the hippie chick professor's head. I think I sat there speechless staring at the last image for close to a full minute. After that, the levels only get better. thumbsup

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2007, 02:04:24 AM »

There's a secret area in her levels that's really spooky.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2007, 02:04:24 AM

I found that secret area and I agree it was cool and spooky but I was disappointed that that story thread didn't lead to anything else.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »

Quote from: Scoop20906 on June 07, 2007, 05:32:29 PM

Quote from: Turtle on June 07, 2007, 02:04:24 AM

I found that secret area and I agree it was cool and spooky but I was disappointed that that story thread didn't lead to anything else.

See, I actually liked that it was just a little character detail so you knew her cheery attitude was covering some genuinely horrific pain in her past. Her partnership/love with the other instructor becomes a lot stronger once you know that because she's no longer some hippie bimbo. She's a very damaged person who has moved on found happiness again. The very fact that this is just one note about a supporting character in a game chock full of well defined characters knocked me out. All hail Tim Schafer. icon_cool

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2007, 04:07:55 PM »

wow, this game  headbang

that is all.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »

Installing tonight-wonder if I can get it to work with a PS3 controller.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 16, 2007, 04:21:17 PM

I tried using the 360 controller but couldn't get it to look up or down with either of the analog sticks so I switched back to keyboard/mouse.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2007, 04:35:28 PM

I tried using the 360 controller but couldn't get it to look up or down with either of the analog sticks so I switched back to keyboard/mouse.

Oh hoho? How does that control scheme work man? You'd think it would be iffy for a platformer.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 16, 2007, 04:51:11 PM

Oh hoho? How does that control scheme work man? You'd think it would be iffy for a platformer.

once I re-assigned the keys it worked pretty good.  I've got all the important keys mapped around the arrow keys (I can't stand WASD controls)- the only bad thing is there's no way to make your character move slowly like you can with the analog sticks.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2007, 06:10:49 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 16, 2007, 04:51:11 PM

once I re-assigned the keys it worked pretty good.  I've got all the important keys mapped around the arrow keys (I can't stand WASD controls)- the only bad thing is there's no way to make your character move slowly like you can with the analog sticks.

Ok thanks, Ill try to see if I can get it working with a ps3 controller or whatever, and if not try out M/KB
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2007, 09:33:47 PM »

Oh, I finally found where the Ranger Cruller is once you finish the scavenger hunt. He's standing next to the shack near the Geo-Desic Dome thingie. You'll know it when you get there.

Enjoy!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 16, 2007, 09:33:47 PM

Oh, I finally found where the Ranger Cruller is once you finish the scavenger hunt. He's standing next to the shack near the Geo-Desic Dome thingie. You'll know it when you get there.

Enjoy!

Is there any way to pull the list for the scavenger hunt up?

Because I can,
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2007, 03:01:01 AM »

Yeah, it's in the menu. When you go to the screen where you should see a list of the various things in the game, on the right hand side of that should be the scavenger hunt icon. Next to that icon should be a button (it was A on the Xbox) that when you hit it the complete list pulls up. Some of the descriptions of the items are pretty funny.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2007, 06:26:09 AM »

Help please!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm very close to the end, but I'm stumped.  I can't get past the meat-circus sequence.  I get to the platform where that thing is throwing knives at you and there is a giant spinning bullseye behind you.  For the love of Chewy where the hell am I supposed to go.  This entire sequence has seemed really out of proportion to the rest of the game as it involves a whole lot of trial and error and having to start all the way over each time you fail.  Ugh.  Help please as I've loved the game up to this point and gave up on it 3 weeks ago.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2007, 06:49:14 AM »

I've got it working with a PS2 controller and it works fine, although I did have to remap some of the camera axis and reasign buttons.

Like others I'm blown away by this game, never played anthing quite like it  before.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2007, 07:36:16 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on June 17, 2007, 06:26:09 AM

Help please!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm very close to the end, but I'm stumped.  I can't get past the meat-circus sequence.  I get to the platform where that thing is throwing knives at you and there is a giant spinning bullseye behind you.  For the love of Chewy where the hell am I supposed to go.  This entire sequence has seemed really out of proportion to the rest of the game as it involves a whole lot of trial and error and having to start all the way over each time you fail.  Ugh.  Help please as I've loved the game up to this point and gave up on it 3 weeks ago.

wow... I don't like to hear that about games I'm playing.  I read it because I wasn't sure where you needed help, but to know that something like that pops up casts a pall over the game.

Because I can,
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on June 17, 2007, 06:26:09 AM

Help please!

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Use Shield to deflect knives into the spinning wheel which you can jump up and grab.  Start swinging and when you get to about 1 or 2 o'clock, double jump to the platform.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2007, 03:59:55 PM »

After you do that one sequence there is one more part of that particular room and then you're out. I hated the entirety of the final sequence because of one horribly annoying decision after another. Here is what is left:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The next thing is Tunnel of Love which is a very annoying "ride the rails" sequence. Just control your speed and you should be fine but there are moments where it's clear the devs did stuff just to piss off players. There's no other excuse. Then you fight a boss, then you go through one more horrible platforming sequence, then I think you fight the final boss in two forms the last of which is hilariously easy.

But the ending is solid. I wouldn't say it's worth all the pain of the final mission but the game is so awesome up to that point it is frustrating that Schafer and his team dropped the balls by kicking us in ours.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2007, 06:18:11 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 17, 2007, 03:59:55 PM

After you do that one sequence there is one more part of that particular room and then you're out. I hated the entirety of the final sequence because of one horribly annoying decision after another. Here is what is left:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The next thing is Tunnel of Love which is a very annoying "ride the rails" sequence. Just control your speed and you should be fine but there are moments where it's clear the devs did stuff just to piss off players. There's no other excuse. Then you fight a boss, then you go through one more horrible platforming sequence, then I think you fight the final boss in two forms the last of which is hilariously easy.

But the ending is solid. I wouldn't say it's worth all the pain of the final mission but the game is so awesome up to that point it is frustrating that Schafer and his team dropped the balls by kicking us in ours.

sounds like I may end up pretending the ending is like the last episode of the Sopranos- 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I hit the annoying part, the screen goes black and ten seconds later the credits roll  icon_wink
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 06:44:25 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2007, 06:42:14 PM »

Wow CeeKay, way to drop a spoiler about something that has nothing to do with the game...  thumbsdown

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »

spoilerized for those of us who have been living in a cave for the last week  Tongue

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »

Spent a few hours with Psychonauts over the weekend.  It certainly gets 10 out of 10 points for creativity, but didn't really grab me that much.  Got up to the:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Battle with the blueprint tank inside Raz's head

and I can't say that I've got a huge desire to keep playing.  Maybe it's because I've been spoiled recently by Tomb Raider:  Anniversary's epic levels, but the levels in Psychonauts didn't really seem that impressive to me.   It's not a bad game by any stretch, but certainly hasn't been the "OMG, best game evar!!11!" experience that I'd heard about.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »

Keep playing. The real game doesn't get started until you have to cross the lake which you are very close to. The underwater level is one thing but the "inside the brain" level after that is something else entirely. Next up is "The Milkman Conspiracy" which is mandatory playing for anyone who fires up this game. You're almost there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on June 18, 2007, 04:35:45 PM

Keep playing. The real game doesn't get started until you have to cross the lake which you are very close to. The underwater level is one thing but the "inside the brain" level after that is something else entirely.

The underwater part was kinda annoying, but the 'inside the brain' portion right afterwards is very cool.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »

I had to remap a few of the the keys with the 360 controller but the only remaining issue that I have is that it won't recognize the triggers as buttons (it sees them as separate movement axes) so you can't map most functions to them. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2007, 05:26:13 AM »

wow, the Milkman Conspiracy is probably the first time I ever felt a sense of motion sickness from a game.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: