http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP why?  (Read 1911 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:55:47 AM »

I was one of those that got a launch PSP.   Right away I realized how awesome the tech on the device was.   The screen was amazing quailty, it could do all kinds of media, the games looked great.
Somewhere along the way, I sold my launch unit to help pay for something else.    Then I bought a PSP Slim when it came out several years later.

So here is my question:   Why does such an amazing piece of technology like the PSP seem to wallow in staleness?     Specifically -- when I go to gamerankings and look at the 'All time' rankings for PSP games, the SAME games show up for it now that showed up for it two years ago.     In fact.. some of the list is made up by games that have been out since that first year!    I realize that Little Big Planet is a notable exception, but I mean this system has so much promise and there just doesn't seem to be very much out there that lights reviewers on fire.

I have to admit, I really really would love to have a PSP Go.... but when I look at the list of titles for the PSP, I just can't see paying for it again and only seeing games on that 'highest rated games' list that have been out there for years.     crybaby
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 04:39:03 AM »

Agreed, it sucks.  God of War was awesome.  I've really enjoyed the Resistance PSP game.  I will get the MGS one this year as well, but it's like a once a year for a game thing.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:04:30 AM »

And I'd like to add that I do own a DS, but the technology for the DS could not hold the PSP's jock strap.... yet somehow it's doing so much better.

Are people that stupid?    Stupid people buying inferior devices driving development on an inferior handheld?   Is that the answer?
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:06:53 AM »

The games on the DS are more fun to me.  While I'd never argue that the tech is not superior on the PSP.  I really wish the system did better as it does have some real gems such as God of War.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:09:42 AM »

The PSP is my favorite handheld. but the reason it fails are numerous:

Original release

1) Huge piracy issues
2) Initially very expensive
3) Poor Sony advertising, which tried to pimp it as a PMP/MP3/everything player instead of a dedicated gaming system
4) Cumbersome for a portable system
5) No 2nd analog stick

with the PSP go you can add:

1) No legacy UMD support or digital transfer
2) High priced digital games in the archive
3) still no 2nd analog stick
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:51 AM »

It's a shame such a potentially fantastic system has been wasted.   It has a few absolutely amazing games (FF Tactics:  War of the Lions in particular - one of my top 2 or 3 favorite games ever), but they're incredibly few and far between. 

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »

The way I see it, both the PS3 and the PSP has a big problem in the way Sony markets them. When both systems were new, any commercial for them was about their multimedia capabilities, with games barely even mentioned. The DS has been all about the games from the beginning. I seriously doubt more than a small share of PSP owners even care about watching movies on that tiny screen, or use it to listen to music.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:25:41 AM »

gamerankings top 20 ds:

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars / Rockstar Leeds/Rockstar Games, 2009 DS
Chrono Trigger / TOSE/Square Enix, 2008 DS
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story / Alphadream Corporation/Nintendo, 2009 DS
Mario Kart DS / Nintendo, 2005 DS
Flipnote Studio / Nintendo, 2009 DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike / Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 2005 DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow / Konami, 2005 DS
New Super Mario Bros. / Nintendo, 2006 DS
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass / Nintendo, 2007 DS
Elite Beat Agents / Inis/Nintendo, 2006 DS
Meteos / Q Entertainment/Nintendo, 2005 DS
The World Ends With You / Jupiter Corporation/Square Enix, 2008 DS
Kirby: Canvas Curse / HAL Labs/Nintendo, 2005 DS
Tetris DS / Nintendo, 2006 DS
Planet Puzzle League / Intelligent Systems/Nintendo, 2007 DS
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes / Capybara Games/Ubisoft, 2009 DS
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks / Nintendo, 2009 DS
Dark Void Zero / Other Ocean Interactive/Capcom, 2010 DS
Animal Crossing: Wild World / Nintendo, 2005 DS
Super Mario 64 DS / Nintendo, 2004 DS

gamerankings top 20 psp:

God of War: Chains of Olympus / Ready at Dawn/SCEA, 2008 PSP
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars / Rockstar Leeds/Rockstar Games, 2009 PSP
Lumines / Q Entertainment/Ubisoft, 2005 PSP
Ridge Racer / Namco, 2005 PSP
Tekken: Dark Resurrection / Namco Bandai Games/Namco Bandai Games America, 2006 PSP
Wipeout Pure / Studio Liverpool/SCEA, 2005 PSP
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions / Square Enix, 2007 PSP
LittleBigPlanet / Media Molecule/SCEA, 2009 PSP
Tetris / EA Mobile, 2009 PSP
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness / Nippon Ichi Software/NIS America, 2007 PSP
Burnout Legends / Criterion Games/EA Games, 2005 PSP
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories / Rockstar Leeds/Rockstar Games, 2005 PSP
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror / Sony Bend/SCEA, 2006 PSP
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops / Kojima Productions/Konami, 2006 PSP
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe / Q Games/SCEA, 2009 PSP
Daxter / Ready at Dawn/SCEA, 2006 PSP
LocoRoco 2 / SCEI/SCEA, 2009 PSP
Patapon / SCEJ/SCEA, 2008 PSP
Jeanne d'Arc / Level 5/SCEA, 2007 PSP
Virtua Tennis: World Tour / Sumo Digital/Sega, 2005

ds:

2010 - 1
2009 - 5
2008 - 2
2007 - 2
2006 - 3
2005 - 6
2004 - 1

psp:

2010 - 0
2009 - 5
2008 - 2
2007 - 3
2006 - 4
2005 - 6
2004 - 0

iow, at least afa the top ranked games, not a whole lot of difference. i have almost an equal number of ds/psp games. while i know that the ds outdoes the psp quantity-wise, for me, anyway, that's kinda irrelevant. & i spend more time with my psps (& not just cuz i hacked one of'm, tho that helps smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »

I agree with many of the prior statements and add that Iphone/Ipod Touch/Itunes won the media/games distribution channel war and marginalized the PSP.  Like I said in another thread, While I love my PSP, if I had to do it over again, I would get an Ipod Touch.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

The PSP is a nicer system technology-wise. The chief benefits of the DS that are relevant to me are long battery life and extremely efficient "sleep" mode just by closing the lid (I make use of this far more than the average person, I suspect).

I play the DS more simply because it has more games that appeal to me (rpg/strategy/adventure). I play the games, not the system. However, this isn't a knock on the PSP: the good games it has are fantastic, just like any other gaming system I have.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »

I have a PSP original and PSP Lite and still lots of games. My favorites were Killzone: Liberation, and SOCOM US Navy Seals: Tactical Strike. That said, I haven't touched a PSP game in a year or more.

To me part of the problem was that only a handful of games sold well enough for the same dev to continue producing for it. Others, like the devs for those two games I mentioned, seemed to just see it as a stepping stone to PS3 development and literally put away their PSP kits once the game was out.

I'd read some columns over the year that said part of the problem was what exactly is the PSP market chasing? Is it people that want a full size console experience on a handheld? If that's the case, the PSP's scrawny "thumb nub" and inadequate number of buttons constantly crippled it in trying to translate full console FPSs and 3rd person shooters onto a handheld. If that's really the market they wanted, Sony should've fully redesigned the PSP to give you something closer to a console controller experience.

If it's to do cute little Bejeweled and Tetris clones, it always seemed like an overpriced piece of hardware for that sort of game and had no real chance against the DS juggernaut on the retail market.

And yeah, too much piracy, too much player fixation on "homebrews," which is great for users, not so great for a manufacturer that's trying to sell enough games to  keep a gaming platform in business. I could hardly find any PSP forums that weren't fixated on piracy and doing anything humanly possible to avoid actually paying for a PSP game.

Once the iPhone/iPod Touch came out, the whole idea of buying little UMD movies to watch on a PSP became a rather pointless notion too.

Sony has this amazing ability to do hardware that impresses on paper (right up to now with e-readers, and going back to their Sony Clie Palm iterations) but that the masses just don't seem to want. Sometimes it's lousy marketing, and often it seems to be just not knowing what their target audience wants.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:07:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

I loved the hacking of it...of course I actually bought the games I copied to the flash unlike most (it seems).  It was nice having 3-4 games available without switching UMDs, carrying the extras with me and having all of them run smoother and better.  Very big lost opportunity but it was never competition against the gameboy with the higher price point and lack of games overall.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:31 PM »

Quote from: KC on February 15, 2010, 01:19:46 PM

I agree with many of the prior statements and add that Iphone/Ipod Touch/Itunes won the media/games distribution channel war and marginalized the PSP.  Like I said in another thread, While I love my PSP, if I had to do it over again, I would get an Ipod Touch.

Sad but true.  I have yet to play anything on iPhone that can even begin to compare to some of the top-tier games on PSP (i.e. God of War, FF Tactics, Crisis Core, Jeanne D'Arc, etc.), and I find it nearly impossible to control games using a 'virtual' thumbstick.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

To me the Ipod Touch beats the PSP in just about every way. The games are less expensive and getting close in quality.  It's more portable, and has much more functionality due to the insane amount of apps available. The Touch is bad for shooters, but so is the PSP without a second analog stick.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:29:34 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »

Love the PSP platform. It's my favorite handheld gaming device. There are so many quality games on the system, too.

I can't do iPhone gaming. I just can't. The virtual joystick gives me zero responsiveness and I hate having to push "buttons" that aren't really buttons.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 07:13:11 PM »

The PSP had a couple of strikes against it from the start.

#1 I think was using optical media.  Not only does it result in diminished battery life but it caused loading... and loading.  I'm guessing it's not as big of a problem now but after release and probably for a year or two it was a major drag on the system.  There were plenty of Youtube videos making fun of how long it took certain games to load.  The DS never had this problem.

#2 is the cost of development.  Because the system is capable of so much more than the DS, the expectation was for PS2-quality graphics.  This was an issue because it cost more to create a top-tier PSP title compared to the DS.  Therefore, the games needed to sell more to make up for the development cost.  It became prohibitive to spend a lot of development money on the PSP when the payoff wasn't that great.

#3 was the lack of a second analog stick.  It wasn't a big deal for me but it was for a lot of people.  The kind of games the system was capable of (racing, 3rd person action games, etc) would really benefit from a 2nd analog stick/nub.

#4 is the ease of piracy.  It was mind-bogglingly simple to mod the early PSP's and once modded could run pirated software very easily.

All these combined to create major problems for the platform's future.  Also, Sony's decision to not provide a viable upgrade to the PSP Go for former PSP owners with a lot of games on UMD.  And the failure of UMD movies negatively affected perception of the system.  And the lack of touch screen controls which Nintendo either created a market for or accurately predicted their popularity (see iPod games now).  And the fact that a lot of people just didn't want to play involved, PS2-type games on a handheld but preferred simpler, more casual games.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:38:16 PM by warning » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »

Quote from: warning on February 15, 2010, 07:13:11 PM

And the fact that a lot of people just didn't want to play involved, PS2-type games on a handheld but preferred simpler, more casual games.

agree with all you say, but that last line's, for me, the money quote - the number of good, 'involved' games on the ds & psp is pretty much equal. add the group you mention to the huge, casual/kid group already more than happy with the wii, &, yeah, the psp's not gonna be something everyone's all that interested in. which's a big part of the reason why, even tho gamerankings shows the 2 systems being close to even, quality-release-wise, no one's gonna make a 'ds why?' thread up here smile ... 

while i'm definitely part of the 'bigger/better' handheld games demographic (&, with a good-sized number of $5 ps1 games available at this point, i'm having no trouble finding stuff to play), i'd say, at least as far as the west's concerned, sony definitely misjudged the size of that demographic. great for me, not so great for them...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 10:31:18 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 15, 2010, 03:55:47 AM

I was one of those that got a launch PSP.   Right away I realized how awesome the tech on the device was.   The screen was amazing quailty, it could do all kinds of media, the games looked great.
Somewhere along the way, I sold my launch unit to help pay for something else.    Then I bought a PSP Slim when it came out several years later.

So here is my question:   Why does such an amazing piece of technology like the PSP seem to wallow in staleness?     Specifically -- when I go to gamerankings and look at the 'All time' rankings for PSP games, the SAME games show up for it now that showed up for it two years ago.     In fact.. some of the list is made up by games that have been out since that first year!    I realize that Little Big Planet is a notable exception, but I mean this system has so much promise and there just doesn't seem to be very much out there that lights reviewers on fire.

I have to admit, I really really would love to have a PSP Go.... but when I look at the list of titles for the PSP, I just can't see paying for it again and only seeing games on that 'highest rated games' list that have been out there for years.     crybaby

Your story pretty much follows mine very closely with the PSP (launch to slim etc)...  I also remember how impressed I was the first time I turned it on, it was like having a PS2 in the palm of your hands.  Unfortunately after the honeymoon period, the entire UMD format started to feel more and more like a bomb.  The load times on some of the games were just horrible and sucked the life out of many of the games, particularly playing RPGs for someone like me who likes to save a lot and play in short bursts.  Going back to the game should be a more or less instant thing, not a multiple minute wait.

But ultimately I think you just have to blame Sony, who seemed to be incredibly complacent after riding the success of the PS2 for too many years.  They should have used their lead to dominate licenses and exclusives and create incredible next gen games.  I'd say this is equally true with the PS3, I mean how the heck did they lose exclusivity to Final Fantasy?

In terms of the Go, like others are saying I think the iPhone/iPod may have killed their marketshare with compelling games at far cheaper prices.  Many of the Apple games are now rivalling the depth and replayability of full console games at a fraction of the price.  It makes much more sense for gaming on the go.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 15, 2010, 10:31:18 PM

Many of the Apple games are now rivalling the depth and replayability of full console games at a fraction of the price.

the 2 games you most recently mentioned on the ipod thread are doom 2 rpg & military madness. while i'm not arguing that there isn't depth/replayability there, these games look (& sound) to be worth just about what you're paying for them, &, at best, rival full console games only if you consider the gameboy advance a full console smile ...

like i said, i'm not knocking the games, & i've spent tons of time playing & enjoying gba games - i'm just thinking you might be overstating the current state of ipod/iphone games a little bit smile ...

jase
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »

My gripe isn't about how long the loading took but rather how loud it was. Accessing the UMD sounds like nails on a chalkboard, happens every couple of minutes in some games and completely takes me out of the game. Partially ruins the "portability" of the system as well because it is so annoying to the people around me (planes trains and automobiles...+ sleeping girlfriends). I would have loved the GO if they allowed me to back up my already bought games on it. oh yeah, and the second nub...

many of the games themselves are quite good though
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:32 AM »

Many of the Apple games are now rivalling the depth and replayability of full console games at a fraction of the price.  It makes much more sense for gaming on the go.

Just my opinion, but I'd strongly disagree here.  I have yet to play an iPhone game that didn't feel like it was developed with a $5 price point in mind.  I'd classify around 95% of the 100+ iPhone games I've played as nothing more than short, basic timewasters, and haven't seen anything that even begins to approach the depth and complexity of the top-tier PSP games.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 16, 2010, 12:10:32 AM

I'd classify around 95% of the 100+ iPhone games I've played as nothing more than short, basic timewasters, and haven't seen anything that even begins to approach the depth and complexity of the top-tier PSP games.

That's funny.  I think that describes 95% of the Nintendo Wii's games too!  icon_biggrin
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »

Many of the Apple games are now rivalling the depth and replayability of full console games at a fraction of the price.  It makes much more sense for gaming on the go.

Just my opinion, but I'd strongly disagree here.  I have yet to play an iPhone game that didn't feel like it was developed with a $5 price point in mind.  I'd classify around 95% of the 100+ iPhone games I've played as nothing more than short, basic timewasters, and haven't seen anything that even begins to approach the depth and complexity of the top-tier PSP games.

I think I can summarize and agree with this point:

iphone games feel like flash games.    I know that would piss off Steve Jobs, but it's true.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 16, 2010, 12:44:01 AM

iphone games feel like flash games.    I know that would piss off Steve Jobs, but it's true.

Yeah, totally agree here.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 12:59:20 AM »

OK so maybe it's a bit exaggerated but there are definitely some good quality iPhone games which rival the portable consoles (DS and PSP) in terms of gameplay and hours of gameplay.  Underworlds, Inotia 2, Zenonia, Dungeon Hunter are some top notch ARPGs.  Dungeon Hunter in particular compares very well to the ARPGs I played on the PSP (Untold Legends, Dungeon Siege).  Blades of Fury is a very solid fighter with graphics that (at least from memory) rival the PSP and are certainly better than the DS.  I know there are a number of car racing/driving games that look pretty top notch.  

I actually prefer the smaller/simpler games on the iPhone myself, as they fit the jump in and out playstyle for me better.  But if you go looking there are definitely some pretty high quality games available now.  That's something I think would have helped me enjoy the PSP a lot more, game systems that I could jump in and out of easily with limited load times.  This is more of a personal thing for me, though, as I tend to look at "portable gaming" differently than "on the go gaming".  

In other news, Plants vs. Zombies just released on iPhone smile

Edit:  They just announced Street Fighter IV coming to the iPhone.  Also take a look at GT Racing for some top notch graphics.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:03:58 AM by rittchard » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 02:14:08 AM »

Pretty much this, with the incredibly rare exception (such as the aforementioned Dungeon Hunter).

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »

I know that many don't agree, but I think piracy is a huge issue.  Hardware-wise the PSP has done quite well.  It's the software that's the issue.  I don't really buy the argument that people are just buying the hardware to watch movies, etc so I can't help but think people buy the hardware and pirate the games.  
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 16, 2010, 02:14:08 AM

Pretty much this, with the incredibly rare exception (such as the aforementioned Dungeon Hunter).

Dungeon Hunter sufferers the same fate as the other iphone games -- it's too short.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 02:54:56 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on February 16, 2010, 02:51:41 AM

Dungeon Hunter sufferers the same fate as the other iphone games -- it's too short.

They all suffer the same fate of taking precious battery life from my phone.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »

I'll take your word for it.  Thought the game was pretty dull outside of the great production values, and never did get around to finishing it.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 05:43:59 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 16, 2010, 02:55:56 AM

I'll take your word for it.  Thought the game was pretty dull outside of the great production values, and never did get around to finishing it.

Which is the problem with iphone games.   None of them hold my attention.    God of War on the PSP on the other hand, was gaming heaven as long as it lasted.   

I really wish the PSP platform would take off like it should.  frown
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:18 AM »

I think the answer to the "why" is obvious; they were up against a competitor that had 3 generations of previous experience that wasn't willing to give a inch. We all know Sony is capable of making great hardware and in many regards they did with the PSP, but can they make a handheld that convinces developers to jump ship - I'd say the answer to that has been a clear no. You can make the point that it's got almost an equal number of quality titles and it's better supported in some genres, but it's been crushed by the shear market momentum of the DS. I'd agree that piracy is a contributing factor, but there's a number of other factors too. Bottom line - Sony just wasn't up to realistically challenging Big N.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »

I think Krono hit the nail on the head.

Except for one thing, and it's the second control nub.  I think anyone that looks at this machine can see that it should clearly have a second stick.  Even die-hard fans have to see that it's just...kind of...missing.

I honestly believe some people started out just waiting for the one with the dual controls.  And they're still waiting.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

One of the things that sticks out to me is that I see hand held gaming devices as more of a child's toy than an adult toy.(At least when viewed by the public at large) Much more so than home consoles. It is much more common to be at a group event or out in public and see a child playing on their hand held rather than an adult. I know personally I own two PSPs and two DSs but when it comes to playing them out in public I hesitate. With that said Nintendo has absolutely crushed Sony when it comes to making a kid friendly hand held. It may not be the only reason the DS is so far ahead, but I think it is a big reason.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:19:21 PM by Scraper » Logged

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »

Sony tried to make a portable PS2 essentailly but made design choices that hurt the system. By putting in a disc drive they gave the system the data capacity needed but that added complexity/cost and made battery life that much worse. No 2nd analog nub has haunted they system from day one too. But in the end regardless of those I just dont think that many people really wanted a "portable PS2". The DS is good enough for most(especially little kids) and now so is something like a ipod Touch along with the other capabilities it has.

Also this is just for the US though. In Japan the PSP had been a very good success for Sony where portable gaming is much more common among the population.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 16, 2010, 04:33:04 PM

It is much more common to be at a group event or out in public and see a child playing on their hand held rather than an adult. I know personally I own two PSPs and two DSs but when it comes to playing them out in public I hesitate.

This.

Quote from: Jumangi on February 16, 2010, 05:01:44 PM

Also this is just for the US though. In Japan the PSP had been a very good success for Sony where portable gaming is much more common among the population.

And this.

I know it's stupid and I shouldn't really worry about what anyone else thinks, but there is still enough of a stigma attached with gaming that I hesitate using my PSP much in public.  About the only time it ever gets used in public is when I'm on a long flight.  Same goes for my DS.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »

In regards to the original post, I think meta review sites like Gamerankings show a skewed snapshot of games as the original launch games were way overrated.   Most of those sites still show Ridge Racer and Lumines as one of the all time top games - there's no way it should even be in the same league as some of the titles that are sitting in the high 80s% on those same sites. 

There's no doubt the number of releases has slowed to an almost standstill, but it's still got a great backlog of existing games and some of the new releases here and there are still pretty good (ex. I picked up LittleBigPlanet on the PSP this weekend, and think it's a much better title than the reviews show).

The minis up to this point have been a disappointment though...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:53 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on February 16, 2010, 11:32:48 PM

In regards to the original post, I think meta review sites like Gamerankings show a skewed snapshot of games as the original launch games were way overrated.   Most of those sites still show Ridge Racer and Lumines as one of the all time top games - there's no way it should even be in the same league as some of the titles that are sitting in the high 80s% on those same sites.

yeah - when i made that list, what you're saying really jumped out at me: scroll down, & there's crisis core, monster hunter, gurumin, & quite a few others i'd consider much better games than, well, tetris? smile ...

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »

I had a PSP, and generally liked it, but it always failed to compare the DS in terms of games and even control. I just had more fun playing my DS games. I reaized that I didn't want a PS2 like game experience on my handheld if it meant sacrificing some of the conveniences of portable gaming. I like turning on the DS having the game load up immediately, playing for 15 minutes, closing the DS putting it right in to sleep mode and being able to come back as much as 8 hours later and pick up right where I left off.  It doesn't hurt that the DS has been consistently getting new and different types of games continually. You can't really do a Scribblenauts on PSP and have the same effect it does on DS.

I'd like to get another PSP sometime and hack it again, but I am in no hurry and can wait till the system is all but dead and build it up cheap.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 19, 2010, 02:47:16 PM

You can't really do a Scribblenauts on PSP and have the same effect it does on DS.

You say that like its a bad thing.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: