http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 04:18:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP warranties and such  (Read 1838 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2005, 06:36:06 PM »

So when I bought from EB games, they offered me a 25 dollar 1 year warranty.   I know that the system has a manufacturer waranty for 1 year, but what is the difference between these?   I elected not to get it at the register, but the guy says I have 14 days to get it after purchase.

On a related note -- my PSP headphones do not work.    The ones that came in the value pack.   Should I call Sony, get the EB warranty and then immediately file a claim on it, or what?

frown   I'm sad that my remote control/headphones won't work cause I want to watch spiderman 2 with them next weekend on a road trip.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:21:30 PM »

Hey msd, sorry to hear bro, just curious where you got your PSP with all this trouble. Cant you just get new headphones?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 07:49:02 PM »

Got it at EBgames.   The headphones included were the only thing not to work.   Everything else is fine.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Got it at EBgames.   The headphones included were the only thing not to work.   Everything else is fine.

They wont give you new ones/replacements?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 10:54:43 PM »

The Sony warranty covers manufacturers defects, and Sony has been historically stingy with what they consider a manufacturer defect.  The EB warranty covers pretty much everything short of fire, theft, or loss.  So (as happened to someone when the GBA SP came out), if you have the PSP on the seat of your car, someone flips it on the floor, then steps on it, smashing the screen, you can get a new one.

Bear in mind, it's a one time replacement, and they're probably not going to be willing to swap out a whole unit just to get you new headphones.  I'd call up the Sony number, since they'll probably get you a new set of phones before EB will have another system in.  

Alternatively, since I think the included ones are incredibly uncomfortable, you could just get a new set of better headphones.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 11:20:20 PM »

The only problem you might have with just getting a better set of headphones is that I've tried six or seven different sets with my PSP and none have had the rich bass sound that the white Sony ones have had - even another pair of Sony headphones.  It's been consistent enough (other sets sound tinny like the regular speakers) that I'm wondering if they didn't do something to cripple the headphone quality.  I don't really know enough about that side of the industry in general to know if that's feasible, but there you go.  As crappy as the white ones hurt my ears, they sound a hell of a lot better than any other set I've tried.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 02:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "Shkspr"
The only problem you might have with just getting a better set of headphones is that I've tried six or seven different sets with my PSP and none have had the rich bass sound that the white Sony ones have had - even another pair of Sony headphones.  

Were you trying GOOD headphones, or just other earbuds?  My studio Sony headphones (made for DJs) sound awesome with the PSP.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 04:12:19 AM »

Why not just exchange it at EB since you are within the 14 day standard return policy and then wait 13 days and decide on the EB warranty at that point?

I did this with my bad pixel-ed DS without issue.

Good luck no matter what you end up doing!  smile

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:22:57 AM »

Quote from: "Vesper"
Quote from: "Shkspr"
The only problem you might have with just getting a better set of headphones is that I've tried six or seven different sets with my PSP and none have had the rich bass sound that the white Sony ones have had - even another pair of Sony headphones.  

Were you trying GOOD headphones, or just other earbuds?  My studio Sony headphones (made for DJs) sound awesome with the PSP.

Yeah, the above post is baloney. The sony headphones that ship with them are a decent pair, but they aren't magical. I've used both my sony in ear headphones ($50) and my bose triport ($150) headphones and they both sound much better.

If you are trying to use a pair of 10 or 20 dollar headphones, I am not suprised with your results.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:36:58 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
So when I bought from EB games, they offered me a 25 dollar 1 year warranty.   I know that the system has a manufacturer waranty for 1 year, but what is the difference between these?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the PSP (just like the PS2) has only a 90 day warranty through Sony.  If  I were getting a PSP I'd seriously consider the retail warranty offer, mainly because this is first generation hardware and Sony has historically had issues first gen (PS2, PSX both).  Already the pixel issue is showing it's ugly head from the US release.  Keep in mind that Sony is not going to replace your PSP for a few dead pixels, while the store warranty will.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 06:40:13 PM »

This is the way the guy at my EB explained it to me:

1) Sony covers the PSP for the first year.
2) The warranty you buy from EB for 30 or so bucks covers it for an additional year.

So if you have a problem within the first year - you have to call Sony and let them deal with it.

If you have a problem after the first year - then EB will handle it. I asked if it was a straight replacement warranty, could I just bring it in and get a new PSP? He said I would have to call their 1-800 number and they would handle the replacement. SO i guess you can't just take it into the store and swap it out.

This didn't sound like that great of an arrangement, so I ended up not buying the warranty.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

Well I took it down and they swapped out the whole thing for a new one.   (that's the whole system/box/etc).

During the exchange, I also purchased the warranty.

Problem:   Now I have a system that has a piece of debris or black speck of something underneath the glass.   It is directly front and center of the screen so that it is very noticable while using the device.

Should I lug the thing BACK down to the Eb and swap it out for yet another machine (thereby becoming the 'problem' customer for that store)?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 07:39:06 PM »

Just look in your box, Sony has never offered a One year warranty and I wouldn't expect them to just all of a sudden start to.

Also, EB has never had a warranty that was added onto the manufacturers one. I Just called my buds at EB and they confirmed for me that their warranty is NOT on top of the manufacturers one.

Seriously though I'd look at your warranty card/owners manual, if it's more than 90 days I'd be shocked.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
snakeneck
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 10:51:17 PM »

How did you pay for your PSP.  Most credit cards double the manufacturers warranty, I wonder if this is true in this case?
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Just look in your box, Sony has never offered a One year warranty and I wouldn't expect them to just all of a sudden start to.

Also, EB has never had a warranty that was added onto the manufacturers one. I Just called my buds at EB and they confirmed for me that their warranty is NOT on top of the manufacturers one.

Seriously though I'd look at your warranty card/owners manual, if it's more than 90 days I'd be shocked.

PSP Owner's manual, page 125:

"Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) warrants to the original purchaser that each of the constituent products of the PSP system shall be free from defects in marterial and workmanship  for the period of 1 year  from the date of purchase (the "Warranty Period").

So no, the EB clerks were not misinformed, and no, i did not halucinate the conversation.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »

Hey angryguy, I wasn't calling you out or nothing, just erring on the side of caution, hence why I asked someone to whip out the manual to double check, That is a monumental FIRST for Sony in the warranty department.

It would also be a monumental First for EB if that warranty actually kicked in after the manufacturers. Read the warranty statement on the receipt just to be certain. Just trying to make sure everyone is overly cautious. We all know Sony has a horrid track record with new hardware, and I think that this board is perfect example of people having issues with the machine. Dead pixels, which are very common, but the L trigger is getting stuck, warped casing? and I am just waiting to see what else pops up. I serioulsy need to thank all of you early adopters for putting up with this stuff so the rest of us can feel more comfortable buying the system after the first 3 or 4 hardware revisions.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 11:41:10 PM »

You don't have to thank us, Tebunker, we aren't exactly testing shark  repellent or bullet proof vests. This is good stuff!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 01:34:25 AM »

I know you weren't tebunker, I was just passing along the info.

My guess for why the EB warranty is only kicking after the manufacters warranty is up is because the PSP is such a fragile item. They know that a lot of people are going to drop them and break them, aside from any manufacturer defects. Its not durable like the GBA, and most of us just leave our PS2, Xbox, and Cube sitting in one place.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 03:38:16 AM »

Angry, the EB warranty definitely doesn't add an additional year onto the manufacturer's warranty.  It's the same year coverage, but the coverage parameters are much broader (covers breakage, while Sony's doesn't).  As for the phone call, you call that 800# to get a return authorization number, and bring th number into the store for the replacement.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 03:46:31 AM »

So about my problem:

Should I become that weasily guy that keeps exchanging his system over things he's finding, or should I just suck it up and keep the one with the debris under the glass?

I've played a bunch on it today hoping I'd get used to it, but I can't take my eye off that debris since it's slap dab in the middle of the screen.  frown
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 04:25:17 AM »

I wouldn't worry, I've read reports that people have exchanged upto 8 units trying to get a good one. 1up.com did some sampling in their area and found that 6 out 10 of the people they asked had a problem and 4 out of those 6 had serious issues...

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 07:42:10 AM »

I`m on my first. I have 4 dead pixels and my sound sound gets weird on occasion. Well, only one so far. Hope it stays that way. The sound I just noticed and only once so far I think, and the pixels aren`t noticable unless you are on a black screen, and then still, it`s not very noticeable. I got the EB product replacement plan. Between now and in a year I`ll swap mine out and get a new one +1 more year of warranty. I`ll see as time goes as to when I`ll do the swap. I`ll at least wait until the next few batches etc come, maybe even 6 months or a year. I`m just going to keep an eye on this thing.
 My point is, grab the warranty! If I didn`t I`d be pissed. But since I did, I`m enjoying the system instead of being all pissed off at sony. Great system, but poor quality in some regards. Manufactoring seems to one for sure. BUY THE WARRANTY!!! :wink: For me it`s like buying peace of mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: