http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP UMDs "The region code is not correct"  (Read 1943 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2005, 02:24:06 AM »

I gave in and bought a used PSP today from EB Games ($200) came with everything except the box. I ended up getting 2 movies, Resident Evil and XXX State of the Union as well as Twisted Metal.
Already taken Twisted Metal online and so I thought I'd see what the movies look like and I'm getting the error message:
"The disc cannot be started. The region code is not correct."

I tried resetting the defaults and still the same problem. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Is there some trick to getting normal movies to play? It's not like I'm trying to hack something.. just play the official UMDs on my PSP and as far as I know, the PSP is the US model. (That's the only thing I can think of..?)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 02:33:13 AM »

I'm hoping you didn't end up buying a used psp that was originally imported or bought overseas.  I'm not sure if psp's are regionally coded for movie UMD play, but if that's the case, you might have an import.  

Have you tried downloading the most recent firmware?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 02:38:37 AM »

It came with version 2.00 already installed on it.  
Is there anyway to tell if it's an import model? It's playing Twisted Metal without any problems.. The good thing is that this PSP came with everything a new one would have (except the box) and I haven't noticed any dead pixels or surface scratches (we looked through a few of them to find one in good shape) most of them dont even have a memory card..

Worst case scenario I have to head back to EB and exchange it for another one.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 04:18:52 AM »

The games may not be region coded, but the movies may well be (See DVD region coding).  They may still have to region code UMDs to make the movie types happy.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 06:02:54 AM »

It's very possible that somebody patched this PSP with the Japanese version of 2.0 (as it came out a few weeks before the US one). That might've affected the UMD playback capability. To my knowledge, games aren't protected (just like the GBA), but movies are region encoded.

If you really wanted, you could try downgrading your PSP to version 1.5 (US). Not exactly a recommended thing to do, but it would allow a few more 'options' in playing games.

Personally, I'd take the simple route and bring it back. Make sure you bring the UMD movie with you so you can test that it's a US model.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »

Crazy question, but are you sure the movie is from the proper region?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 07:39:50 PM »

Damn you got me! I was trying to play those adult japanese umds like "The Nurse with the big breasts".

Seriously I think it was an imported PSP though I brought it back to EB today and unfortunately they sold out of the used ones (except one that had a ton of scratches on the screen) so I ended up having to lay down an extra $50 and get a new one.

Now the movies work fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 08:40:43 PM »

FYI it's not the 2.0 Japanese update that's a problem, I have it and all the UMDs play fine on mine.
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 09:08:35 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
so I ended up having to lay down an extra $50 and get a new one.

If it was only an extra fiddy for a new one, why go used?  Do they offer a warranty or anything with the used ones?

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:43:51 PM »

I bet someone bought a Japanese version, played it until the US version came out, then bought a US version and put the Jap version back into it's box and returned it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 01:29:01 PM »

Yeah - The movies are region coded.

On a side note: Has anyone figured out how to change the region coding yet?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 05:53:38 PM »

You know, for all the things the hacker community has done so far, there isn't a way to change what region your PSP is marked as. Or if there is one, I don't know of it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 06:39:56 PM »

I would imagine it should be kinda easy but I haven't seen anything.

Hmmmmm....

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: