http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 04:51:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP: Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror  (Read 872 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:56:30 AM »

Anybody checking this game out?  I just glanced at IGN and saw that they had the review up.  They claim it's a console defining game.  I'm not sure if that's the same as a "killer app."  The most recent games for the PSP have been Daxter, Syphon Filter and Generations of Chaos.  Could it be that we're starting to see a brand new, glorious stage in the life of the PSP or is this just a short blip?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:08:49 AM »

I don't typically get too excited by IGN's reviews but that one has me salivating.  If it's good I'll be picking it up shortly.

Does it have multiplayer?  That would be fun to get some matches going.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:11:42 AM »

I loved the Syphon Filter series and I dont own a PSP so I think this might be my PSP purchasing game.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:27:05 AM »

Can't wait.  While I generally don't find IGN credible, the buzz has been strong on this one for so long that I have no trouble believing their review.  The same applies to Daxter too- looks to be a great week for the PSP!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 01:11:19 PM »

I played a demo of it and really enjoyed it.  They have a lock on featre with the targetting so it does't suffer too much from nothaving two analog sticks.  I pre-ordered it, so I will be getting it this week along with Daxter and Mega Man Powered Up.  Three good games in one week.

Recently, I've picked up Mega Man Maverick Hunter, Exit, and DJ Portable Max (import).  Oh, and MLB 06 The Show.  That will be 7 games for the PSP I have bought recently after not touching the thing for months and months.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »

NOOO!!!

These games can't be good!!! There's only one screen!! I don't see Mario anywhere!!!

LOAD TIMES!!!!! PORTS!!!

:wink:

I'll probably grab this and Daxter. MLB is even better than last year too.
 biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 02:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
NOOO!!!

These games can't be good!!! There's only one screen!! I don't see Mario anywhere!!!

LOAD TIMES!!!!! PORTS!!!

:wink:

I'll probably grab this and Daxter. MLB is even better than last year too.
 biggrin

It's nice to see the PSP finally get some good games a year after launch. Tongue

Zing!

Actually this and Daxter both look great.  Now I'll just have to find time to play them and Oblivion.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 02:52:41 PM »

It's nice to see the PSP finally get some good games a year after launch.

Still waiting for a good DS game...  

(right back atcha!) :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 12:27:30 PM »

Gamespot has weighed in with their review.
The Good: Awesome presentation, with a generous amount of voice acting and cutscenes; varied and intense campaign; smooth, well-designed control scheme; lots of cool gadgets and guns; eight-player online multiplayer.
The Bad: Campaign is fairly short; guns sound like weak toys.

Score 8.8
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »

Argh. I don't have a PSP, and the SF series (on the Ps1) was my favorite...

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »

I rented this over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's got a nice mix of stealth and action and the controls work decently enough given the limitations of the controller.  

So far my only gripe is there's been a few too many automatic discovery triggers. I must have replayed a section five times trying to avoid setting off an alarm before I realized that there's just an invisible trigger that sends guards running after the player no matter what he does.

This is the first time I've put more than a couple of hours into a PSP game since I played the first Metal Gear Acid game over a year ago. It's really a nice polished title that's well worth checking out.
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 10:04:50 PM »

There is often more than one way through a level, that may not be obvious at first.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 01:01:07 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

So far my only gripe is there's been a few too many automatic discovery triggers. I must have replayed a section five times trying to avoid setting off an alarm before I realized that there's just an invisible trigger that sends guards running after the player no matter what he does.

I kind of burned out about halfway through because of that.  I like a nice mix of stealth/tactical gunplay and outright action and it seemed like I went through a few too many all out action segments in a row that I started getting restless.  I'll definitely come back to it though and Syphon Filter should be the future model fo how to control shooters on the PSP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: