http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:40:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Slim = Redesign?  (Read 1704 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/psp-slim-details-revealed-267108.php

It's Kotaku so take it with a grain of salt.

The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.

They're saying Sony hopes to sell it for under $170 but I just can't see that happening unless these components are far, far cheaper to manufacture.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »

Damn, that's quite a re-design. Almost tempting.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »

If it's true and they can get it out for 170 I'll get one, faster loading, better screens, and built memory finally makes the psp seem worth getting.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »

If it will still be able to run homebrew, this might be enough to get me in the market.  I had wanted to use my DS to watch stuff recorded on my Media Center, but it would take too much time playing with file converters.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 08, 2007, 04:12:42 PM

If it will still be able to run homebrew, this might be enough to get me in the market.

I'm guessing they'll go one of two directions with it.  They'll either make it very open and easy to run homebrew, install Linux like the PS3, etc.  Or they'll lock it down real tight.

I'm guessing they'll choose Door #2.
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »

I am too, so I'll likely hold off post-release until the eventual hack comes out to enable that "feature set".
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »

If it has those features at 170, and homebrew is possible, its boughten day 1.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »

considering their current trend of psp anti-hacking forced updates, i would be very surprised to see a change of tactics with this revision.  i'll still hold on to my downgradeable unit for now, thankyouverymuch.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 05:42:46 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 08, 2007, 04:23:37 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on June 08, 2007, 04:12:42 PM

If it will still be able to run homebrew, this might be enough to get me in the market.
I'm guessing they'll go one of two directions with it.  They'll either make it very open and easy to run homebrew, install Linux like the PS3, etc.  Or they'll lock it down real tight.

I'm guessing they'll choose Door #2.

I'll take Door 2 as well. They'll never willingly open up their console to the modding community.

And since I love my homebrew (near-perfect NES and Genesis emulation on the go!), I have no interest in this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »

I didn't see any mention of a second analog stick.  What a shame.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 06:16:32 PM »

Quote from: KC on June 08, 2007, 05:57:23 PM

I didn't see any mention of a second analog stick.  What a shame.

Wouldn't work in a redesign- existing games couldn't use it without patching (not likely for most) and upcoming games would have to still design their controls around the substantial userbase with only one stick.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »

It's a hardware refresh, not a new handheld.  They'd fracture their user base if they added any features like that, not to mention the price would go up significantly.  That said, they probably wanted to add a lot of things like a second analog and touch screen, but knew it wasn't possible unless they made a PSP2, not psp slim.  I think what they're hoping is that with a hardware refresh, and a bunch of high profile exclusive games coming out for the system (God of War, FF7 CC, Crush, etc...), the PSP will get popular enough for them to consider a PSP2, completely new hardware.  Since the new system would probably be back to the $200 price point, they'd need the popularity of the old PSP, backward compatability, and a established user and developer base to make it succeed.

Although honestly if you want to run homebrew a GP32x is a good option.  Or you could buy an original PSP since a lot of people will sell their old old ones to get this, mod chip it, and run anything you want.  Er, that's actually what I plan to do with my old one once the new PSP is released.

The main thing I hope is that they make it easier to hold.  The grip used on a PSP is a bit cumbersome, and the way the speakers push sound out the bottom instead of the front is annoying.

Definitely looking forward to this new version.  There's a lot of good games coming out for the system
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »

never really tempted to get a ds light... but this,... hmmmm....

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »

DS Lites are awesome.  If you like the DS I dont see how the DS Lite would not be worth getting.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »

Probably because he already has a DS?  slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »

I tried out a DS and was disappointed by the viewability of the screen.  The DS Lite is pretty amazing in that respect, I never have trouble viewing it (well, outside I do, but that's kind of extreme).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 05:11:53 AM »

8gig internal memory!!

if thats true then i am having that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 10:38:36 PM »

Actually, there was yet another rumor about a few months back that said they couldn't get the 8GB in, so they reduced it to 4GB.

This flash memory is different from the memory stick in that it's the same stuff that's in usb flash drives.  It's a cheaper kind of memory where they can get by with having bad sectors by simply marking them bad and using the rest, great for chip yields.  So 8GB is still a possibility, especially so if they hope this new PSP design will be used a lot with their online store.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:52 PM »

If this is true I just want a damned release date. I think I am going to get one, but its a question of whether to wait or not at this point.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »

As said above, I suspect Sony is holding on to a lot of news in preperation for E3.  I'm sure there's all sorts of stuff they're going to announce and show.  I want to see Killzone 2, and there's word of some new PSP games and features.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:15:37 AM »

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=267

the rumor reporter site which, like Kotaku, has been correct with its rumor debunking before, debunks some aspects of the psp redesign and introduces some of its own rumors.

Basically, the redisign will use basically the same hardware and mostly the same functionality.  Although it's still likely the LCD will be replaced to save battery life.

There's word that the screen will have some sort of flip or twist aspect, they mention the sidekick device.  Not sure how the side-kick flips up its screen, last I saw it was some kind of twist action.  Because of this, they say the system is overall smaller, so it may be the buttons are underneath the screen while not playing.

As before, no UMD tray, instead it's slot loading.

Overall cleaner look like a DS.

Although still being decided, it's looking like it'll have 4GB of memory, not 8.

They're considering bluetooth.  Which to me seems likely since that means easy connectivity between the PS3 and PSP.

The new design will include a chapter skip button for movies and music on the console itself, not just on the break off headphone adapter.

For the same price as the current PSP.  Some people debate that about the PSP slim being the same price.  However, the PSP hardware actually makes Sony a profit right now, and since they use mostly the same internal hardware they have some room to add and change a few things, so long as the end result doesn't go over the price point.

They also go on to say that Killzone 2 is looking really good now, and will be shown at E3, but that was what everyone thought anyway.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 02:27:57 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 14, 2007, 01:15:37 AM

http://www.rumorreporter.com/?p=267

the rumor reporter site which, like Kotaku, has been correct with its rumor debunking before, debunks some aspects of the psp redesign and introduces some of its own rumors.

Basically, the redisign will use basically the same hardware and mostly the same functionality.  Although it's still likely the LCD will be replaced to save battery life.

There's word that the screen will have some sort of flip or twist aspect, they mention the sidekick device.  Not sure how the side-kick flips up its screen, last I saw it was some kind of twist action.  Because of this, they say the system is overall smaller, so it may be the buttons are underneath the screen while not playing.

As before, no UMD tray, instead it's slot loading.

Overall cleaner look like a DS.

Although still being decided, it's looking like it'll have 4GB of memory, not 8.

They're considering bluetooth.  Which to me seems likely since that means easy connectivity between the PS3 and PSP.

The new design will include a chapter skip button for movies and music on the console itself, not just on the break off headphone adapter.

For the same price as the current PSP.  Some people debate that about the PSP slim being the same price.  However, the PSP hardware actually makes Sony a profit right now, and since they use mostly the same internal hardware they have some room to add and change a few things, so long as the end result doesn't go over the price point.

They also go on to say that Killzone 2 is looking really good now, and will be shown at E3, but that was what everyone thought anyway.
Awesome. Release before I move cross country and boughten.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »

So i was thinking about this-what are the chances they are going to just completely seal up the firmware holes on this new edition? Pretty good? What do yo uguys think?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 08:51:58 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 14, 2007, 08:15:35 PM

So i was thinking about this-what are the chances they are going to just completely seal up the firmware holes on this new edition? Pretty good? What do yo uguys think?

I'm tempted to say quite certain that they won't leave any holes.  But who really knows?  I'm guessing they'll design it from the start to be more secure so even if there are some exploits found it will still be a long distance from the relatively homebrew-friendly PSP we have now.

And I don't think there is anyway to downgrade a PSP now that has firmware higher than 3.03 so they've done a pretty good job of locking things up.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 09:04:32 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 14, 2007, 08:51:58 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 14, 2007, 08:15:35 PM

I'm tempted to say quite certain that they won't leave any holes.  But who really knows?  I'm guessing they'll design it from the start to be more secure so even if there are some exploits found it will still be a long distance from the relatively homebrew-friendly PSP we have now.

And I don't think there is anyway to downgrade a PSP now that has firmware higher than 3.03 so they've done a pretty good job of locking things up.

So if I want a PSP that plays SNES and other homebrew and the PSX games hacked to play on PSP I have to get one of the current models Warning? Is it worth it for that (and I am talking about PSX games on the PSP I actually own copies, of yes. Tongue)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:15:32 PM »

I don't even know if the current models that are for sale right now can be downgraded.  It depends on the firmware version they have.  I think the last version you can downgrade was 3.03 and you needed the first release of GTA Liberty City Stories or something.

But yeah, it's worth it to me.  I use the damn thing all the time.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:34 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on June 14, 2007, 09:04:32 PM

So if I want a PSP that plays SNES and other homebrew and the PSX games hacked to play on PSP I have to get one of the current models Warning? Is it worth it for that (and I am talking about PSX games on the PSP I actually own copies, of yes. Tongue)

No, you want one with the oldest firmware you can find. As such, you need to find one that's an old PSP. Or a newer PSP with old firmware.

I'd hit EB and check out their used PSPs. If you're friends with the employees there, just ask them to plug it in and then go look at what version firmware they have in it (it's all the way on the left of the main blade, down a bunch of options - it's called System Information I believe). For easiest downgrading, find one that's version 2.71 or below. 2.8 through 3.03 require an old version of Liberty Stories to crack (which is quite hard to find now).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 14, 2007, 10:19:34 PM

Quote from: Calvin on June 14, 2007, 09:04:32 PM

No, you want one with the oldest firmware you can find. As such, you need to find one that's an old PSP. Or a newer PSP with old firmware.

I'd hit EB and check out their used PSPs. If you're friends with the employees there, just ask them to plug it in and then go look at what version firmware they have in it (it's all the way on the left of the main blade, down a bunch of options - it's called System Information I believe). For easiest downgrading, find one that's version 2.71 or below. 2.8 through 3.03 require an old version of Liberty Stories to crack (which is quite hard to find now).

OK thanks guys-I am pretty damned sure I want one-the games are starting to look good, i really would like something portable for the metro and for what I think might be a commute after the move, it would be good on the road for 42 hours, and it will eventually hopeuflly integrate more with the PS3. Plus then I can have one and be awesome and stuff. So yeah, my issue is that the new ones-ok, the rumored new ones which may be total bullshit-well they sound AWESOME. So...yeah, I'm kinda confuzzled.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2007, 12:32:33 AM »

Oh, and incase you haven't realized yet - if you do get a older version PSP, don't put any games into it until you've 'upgraded' it to a homebrew friendly version (currently supports up to 3.40 firmware). If you toss in a game and skip past the 'this game will now upgrade your console' notice (depends entirely on title and what version PSP you find in the first place), you could be screwed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: