http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 04:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Sales: 'Solid, but not spectacular'  (Read 1259 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2005, 05:48:20 PM »

CNN Money has an article on PSP sales. According to analysts, the PSP sold through approximately 500K to 600K units and they estimate about 300K are still in the retail sales channel. Games speciality stores are largely sold out, but big box retailers apparently still have a lot on hand. As mentioned in the topic title, P.J. McNealy called the launch "solid".

So, it sounds like the PSP sold around the same number of units as the DS did during its first week of sales. Personally, I think that bodes well for the PSP, given its $250 price tag and generally higher priced games.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:28:39 PM »

I'm really curious what Sony's interneal projections were.  If they truly thought they were going to sell one million in such a short range of time I think its pretty ludicrous.  500-600k is great for any console launch.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 07:33:16 PM »

Sounds like pretty amazing sales for a very high priced handheld with very little advertising. European sites keep stating the the reason for the Sept release is that Sony want to keep manufacturing units for America and Japan, so they must be pretty confident. And is it usual for a Console to totally sell out in the first few days? Here in Switzerland it's very easy to find any console after it's release.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 07:42:30 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Sounds like pretty amazing sales for a very high priced handheld with very little advertising. European sites keep stating the the reason for the Sept release is that Sony want to keep manufacturing units for America and Japan, so they must be pretty confident. And is it usual for a Console to totally sell out in the first few days? Here in Switzerland it's very easy to find any console after it's release.

Consoles do often sell out immediately folllowing release but that's because there is often a lack of units ready due to production limitations and console launches are commonly near the Christmas buying season.

Sony's one million units available at launch is fairly unprecenented IIRC.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 07:50:43 PM »

That's one of the advantages to waiting until everyone else on the planet has one, they tend to be easy to get. It's amazing when you think how big the market for Europe is, the threatment we get. Could explain why PC games are still huge here. It's funny that Microsoft seems to realise this. XBox 2 will be huge in Europe because for once we aren't been treated like an afterthought. Microsoft have always been pretty good for getting big XBox releases to Europe fairly sharpish.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 08:40:08 PM »

My Future Shop had plenty of 'em. The thing looked great, but everyone that passed by balked at the price. Plus, it seems as if Canadians are forced into picking up the Gretzky bundle. We love the Great One, but we ain't that stupid.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 09:38:40 PM »

500-600k is damn good if it's true.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 09:46:21 PM »

FWIW, both the Circuit City and Best Buy by me were sold out this afternoon.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 03:22:01 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
My Future Shop had plenty of 'em. The thing looked great, but everyone that passed by balked at the price. Plus, it seems as if Canadians are forced into picking up the Gretzky bundle. We love the Great One, but we ain't that stupid.

If that's the case, that's because the value bundle without Gretzky game was sold out.  Got mine for $300 sans hockey.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 04:25:13 PM »

Sounds about right. The gamestops around here are sold out, but the box stores are loaded (with the excepception of 1 walmart, go figure). Of course, that launch number might be cut in thirds or smaller if everyone with dead pixels returened theirs until theygot a good one. My little brother is on number five. He has been to both gamestop and toys r us now. Im just glad that mine was perfect the first time. Talk about a bummer if it wasnt.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 12:41:07 PM »

In my area, the Best Buy (which had a ton up in the front in a big metal cage guarded by 2 employees) sold out after 4 days. I got one the Monday after launch, and they had maybe 20 left at that point.

I've seen 4-5 in the local Target and Wal-Mart though.

FYI, if any of you are looking for memory sticks, try a place that has digital cameras but doesn't sell PSPs. For instance, the Best Buy was sold out of em, but I went to the Office Depot, and they were overflowing with the 512 MB Memory Sticks.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: