http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP questions & mem stick prices  (Read 783 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2005, 09:07:29 PM »

I found out late last week that I'm being sent to Europe at the end of the month to give a training class. After making my travel arrangements, I have a 24-hour trip out there and 20 hour trip back (counting layovers). So, I'm looking for stuff to keep me occupied during the trip and I'm trying to decide whether to bring the DS or PSP. Frankly, I'm leaning toward the PSP for its media capabilities, but I'm afraid it's going to get expensive with buying a mem stick and perhaps an extra battery. A few questions for a kind soul who can take the time to look over them:

+The best deal I've found so far for a 1 GB mem stick is $79.00 at NewEgg. Anyone seen a better price anywhere? I can't believe how expensive these things are at brick and mortar stores (~125).

+Anyone have an idea of how long the battery life is playing video off the mem stick? I've heard that battery life is ~3-4 hours with UMD video. I imagine battery life is better reading off the stick?

+What's the battery life playing MP3 audio? Is it significantly better? I was thinking about ripping some audio books to the mem stick. Can you turn off the PSP screen when playing MP3s to further conserve battery life?

I really appreciate it if anyone in the know has any insight for me. Thanks in advance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:18:34 PM »

The cheapest memory stick price I've seen from a reputable dealer is $75 so that offer from Newegg sounds pretty good.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:10:41 PM »

That $75 for a 1Gig stick is a steal. Get it now.

While reading files/music/movies off of the stick is less power consuming than reading it from the UMD drive, that power savings will be countered by the screen always being on. You can adjust the brightness of the screen to get you a bit more time, but there's no way to turn off the screen entirely without shutting down the system.

Just look for a power outlet wherever you go, and you should get by. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:04:52 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

While reading files/music/movies off of the stick is less power consuming than reading it from the UMD drive, that power savings will be countered by the screen always being on. You can adjust the brightness of the screen to get you a bit more time, but there's no way to turn off the screen entirely without shutting down the system.

Sure there is.  Just hold down the brightness button....it will turn the screen off but keep the PSP running.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:48:17 PM »

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the mem stick from Newegg for $84 shipped. I'll have to do some experimenting with battery life once I get the stick. Thanks again.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 07:05:12 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
Sure there is.  Just hold down the brightness button....it will turn the screen off but keep the PSP running.

I didn't know. And knowing is half the battle.

*Gi-Joe* biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: