http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:52:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP questions  (Read 1297 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

I am going to get a PSP now that they have several RPGs I want to play but I had a few questions.

1. Are all versions moddable?  I have Sam & Max: Hit the Road from years ago that I want to play.  I know you used to be able to mod the PSP to do homebrew but I also remember Sony was always upgrading the firmware to try to stop people.  Have all the versions been hacked?

2. Is there any difference between the new slim and the old except weight and "slimer-ness" smile  I didn't find the old weight bad so I don't really care and a used old one is $129 vs. $169 for the new.  If that is all it adds I don't see much point in spending $40 extra.

3. New vs. used - any opinions?  I usually don't care but since my 360 died I have started to think that a warranty is not a bad thing. smile  However I guess that goes back to question one - are the new ones moddable?

Those are my questions, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »

Get the lead out you lazy heathens!   slywink  Someone must know.

T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 02:00:41 AM »

I believe that games load faster on the slim and it can be hooked up to a TV.  I've heard conflicting reports that the battery life is longer.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:55:53 AM »

I think all versions can be modded now, you can read into it at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psp_homebrew
And yes I believe the battery life is longer, but whatever, thats not a big issue for me. I'm in the same boat as you.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 05:48:31 AM »

I like the TV hook up option on Slim
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:22 AM »

yes all versions are hacked since the discovery of the "Pandora battery" which allows a user to enter the diagnostic setting and mess with whatever they want....including down grading firmware to the hackable ones.....

I would say go with the used and buy the 20.00 warranty.....you still come out ahead and have the piece of mind it brings.....outside of the already mentioned abilities there are no other real benefits to a slim....  but then again I don't own a PSP

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 11:56:01 AM »

Actually, it has been confirmed that the new PSP has much faster load times on new games that use its extra memory.  There's a video on youtube that shows a side by side comparison of someone going through the first few segments of FF7 Crisis Core.  The old PSP version is riddled with small noticeable loads whereas on the new PSP it's almost seamless except for big area changes.

However, for older games that don't take advantage of the new memory, you won't see much improvement, but all games from here on out will be using that extra memory.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 11:57:25 AM »

One question I have... I got some of the nub extenders for my old psp... however, unless I am mistaken it doesn't appear that you can pop off the analog nub top on the slim psps?

Pikachu, I Blame you!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 18, 2007, 11:56:01 AM

Actually, it has been confirmed that the new PSP has much faster load times on new games that use its extra memory.  There's a video on youtube that shows a side by side comparison of someone going through the first few segments of FF7 Crisis Core.  The old PSP version is riddled with small noticeable loads whereas on the new PSP it's almost seamless except for big area changes.

However, for older games that don't take advantage of the new memory, you won't see much improvement, but all games from here on out will be using that extra memory.

When you move your UMD game to the memory stick (via custom firmware) there's almost no loading.  It's pretty freaking sweet.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 18, 2007, 12:57:04 PM

When you move your UMD game to the memory stick (via custom firmware) there's almost no loading.  It's pretty freaking sweet.

Yeah...that's why I still run a modded PSP.

And last time I checked (which was a while ago) you still need a modded PSP (or one that can be downgraded manually, and the PSP Slim can NOT by default) to make the Pandora Battery. But once made, you can do lots of things with it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:03:46 PM »

i haven't checked whether the pandora is still the only way to hack the slim, but maybe destructor knows. 

the slim is pretty slick looking, but if modding/homebrew is a big part of your plan, you may be out of the loop unless a friend can help with the battery.

as for the new vs used, if you buy used, make sure to check for the appearance of burnt crystals.  i haven't seen any in a two year old unit with decent use, but i have heard of issues with used units before.

T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 12:33:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 18, 2007, 03:19:32 PM

Quote from: warning on December 18, 2007, 12:57:04 PM

Yeah...that's why I still run a modded PSP.

And last time I checked (which was a while ago) you still need a modded PSP (or one that can be downgraded manually, and the PSP Slim can NOT by default) to make the Pandora Battery. But once made, you can do lots of things with it.

Not true.  A Pandora's battery can be made from a PSP battery by physically modifying it.  You basically need to remove a pin on an IC.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »

looks like the passed the hurdle then.  it used to be you couldn't hack a battery unless you had a hacked fatty psp to do the work.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »

Quote from: T on December 19, 2007, 12:33:04 AM

Not true.  A Pandora's battery can be made from a PSP battery by physically modifying it.  You basically need to remove a pin on an IC.

Thank you for correcting me. Knowing is half the battle and all that stuff.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »

Technically (from what I've read), the PSP Slim's battery has about the same life as the old one in spite of being smaller. You can use the slightly larger capacity battery from the old one (you don't have to mod it, but companies are selling inexpensive custom battery covers so that the old style battery doesn't look like it's out of place).

The PSP has a lot of great games, so I would recommend trying a few of those before obsessing bout Home Brewing. smile Where there's a will there's always a way though, and the Web is still awash with "how to home brew" for PSP regardless of Firmware version (just some are much more of a challenge it seems). It's like Blizzard trying to block hackers from Battle.net -- they can keep trying, but it's not a winnable fight.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 19, 2007, 02:22:08 PM

Technically (from what I've read), the PSP Slim's battery has about the same life as the old one in spite of being smaller. You can use the slightly larger capacity battery from the old one (you don't have to mod it, but companies are selling inexpensive custom battery covers so that the old style battery doesn't look like it's out of place).

The PSP has a lot of great games, so I would recommend trying a few of those before obsessing bout Home Brewing. smile Where there's a will there's always a way though, and the Web is still awash with "how to home brew" for PSP regardless of Firmware version (just some are much more of a challenge it seems). It's like Blizzard trying to block hackers from Battle.net -- they can keep trying, but it's not a winnable fight.

I want to run "homebrew" so I can put games on a memory stick mostly.  I want to buy Jeanne D'Arc, Disgea, and FFT.  I am going on a trip and I have no desire to try to keep track of 3 UMDs, make sure they don't get lost or scratched.  It just makes sense as cheap as memory cards are to put games on them. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on December 19, 2007, 03:44:30 PM

I want to run "homebrew" so I can put games on a memory stick mostly.  I want to buy Jeanne D'Arc, Disgea, and FFT.  I am going on a trip and I have no desire to try to keep track of 3 UMDs, make sure they don't get lost or scratched.  It just makes sense as cheap as memory cards are to put games on them. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I have the M3 Simply for my DS and it's SO nice having my entire game collection in one cart verses a dozen scattered who knows where. Plus all the added features are just impressive.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: