http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP pics ... holy *@#$%^&*!!! (56K warning)  (Read 10049 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2005, 06:22:12 PM »

You guys want a fair comparison between a Sony handheld and a Nintendo? Wait for May and the unveiling of the GB Evolution. Course by then Sony may have already saturated the market and caused even the most diehard Nintendo fanboys to burn their DSes.

(And I know, I know, it's just rumours for now, but I love the idea of a little portable with the power of a GC in my hand. Makes me wonder why the Cube disks are so small ...)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 06:25:09 PM »

It is a very fair comparison, to compare the PSP to the GBA/DS.

Come on scott, we both know this isnt true. That is a GBA screenshot, not a DS screenshot. Sure the DS plays GBA games, but the competition is the DS games. At least make it fair! Come on now. Comparing the GBA to the PSP is as absurd as the example I posted.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »

If you read those Dynasty Warriors screens, they have "24 KO Blows".. thats par for the couse,.. 1000KO permorances are the standard if not higher.  Not sure how much "better" it is than the old ones, but clearly they changed the way the game is played slightly.  Before you were amazing, now your near godly.

Still My Friend who owns one never seems to stop playign that game,.. even when "firefly" is on the TV...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:43 PM »

Come on scott, we both know this isnt true. That is a GBA screenshot, not a DS screenshot.

The screenshots are for two currently coming games, for the Nintendo systems, and the Sony PSP system.  Looking at the libraries for the DS, vs the upcoming PSP, it strikes me that if you don't include GBA games for the DS, then the PSP wins outright.  There aren't that many DS games out, or a huge amount coming, so comparing the DS with PSP on a library basis, the PSP wins a completely when it is released in March.

How many of the DS games really take advantage of the extra power?  In some ways, to really compare the systems, I should go grab images of N64 games, and compare them to PS2 games.  I'd say the PS2 games would easily trump the N64 games.  The PSP in all cases, blows the DS away visually.  Even with the dual screens on the DS, the PSP still has more screen real estate.

Another huge weakness of the DS is the lack of analog control.  That is a pretty big weakness in control for games like the DS version of Mario.

I'd love for someone to show a comparison between games.  Actually, I'll do it.  Some "DS" games, vs the PSP ones.  The second screen looks like a waste to me in both instances on the DS.

Need for Speed
DS

PSP

Ridge Racer
DS

PSP

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2005, 08:03:01 PM »

Decent EA Interview: http://psp.ign.com/articles/588/588401p1.html

Quote I don't like:
Franchise mode is something we're seeing as more of a console feature right now, because it requires a huge investment of time for people, so we've focused on the Season mode side of things.

I love the franchise mode.  It'll make get the games on the XBox instead of PSP now I think.  I also don't like the removal of the minor leagues on the PSP for MVP.  I guess I see their point though, but still don't like it.

Wait for May and the unveiling of the GB Evolution.

Any more information, or sites that discuss this?  I can't imagine Nintendo would do this so soon, and hurt the DS.  This strikes me as wishful thinking.

What happens when Nintendo runs out of games?  The Gameboy libraries have always struck me as heavily relying on the earlier systems for the big hits.  Nintendo used to dominate, and the GBA/DS shows that.  But as the Nintendo handhelds start to rely more on the N64 libaries, and Cube libraries, there are a lot fewer good games to put on the handheld then before.  That is where the PSP can really go forward.  Sony has a ton of games in the later generations to port, while Nintendo simply doesn't.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2005, 08:14:21 PM »

A couple more DS verse PSP images from Tiger Woods.  A little closer here, until you really look, and watch the videos.  The review of the DS version isn't great though.  No analog control on the DS combined with a bad implementation of using the touch screen makes for trouble.  It doesn't look like same feature set of the PSP version either.

[/quote]

---
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2005, 08:27:55 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I have a DS, but I must say that the PSP blows it away, both in power and in sheer number of games available. I mean, the PSP at launch will have more games for it than the DS has available since it launched last year (excluding GBA games you can play on the DS, which is the only reason I still have the DS).

I just paid off my preorder of the PSP yesterday. If you guys want to get a PSP at launch you better hurry, many EB's and Gamestops are sold out and are taking orders now for their second shipment sometime in April.

I still find the price too steep to pre order. Maybe when it drops 100 bucks or so I will pick it up though.

Scott, thanks for the screenshots smile. Some big differences there. I thought the PSp roughly equaled the power of the PSone, not hte PS2? Anyone know for sure on that? I know the DS roughly equals the N64, maybe even a step up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2005, 08:38:30 PM »

I thought the PSp roughly equaled the power of the PSone, not hte PS2? Anyone know for sure on that? I know the DS roughly equals the N64, maybe even a step up.

The PSP is almost PS2 quality, I think slightly less.  Developers can apparently port the PS2 game code over fairly easily.  That means a lot of PS2 conversions to the PSP, not PS One.

From my reading, it does seem the DS is the N64, or slightly above.  So there really is a generational gap between the PSP and N64.  It becomes really exaggerated when you look at the screen size.  The PSP pictures I've linked to are bigger, but in some ways, that is fair, the PSP screen is just a lot bigger then DS screens.  The difference is stunning side by side.

I admit, I didn't realize the DS was graphically a step up from the GBA.  I wonder how many pure DS games we'll see for a while though?  The PSP is new, no older PSP hardware for companies to support.  It really doesn't make much sense for a company to create a pure DS game right now, with so many older GBA units out there.  I imagine the number of people with GBA's will actually hurt new DS games get created.  The DS may not be enough of a jump for companies to develop new games for it as opposed to pure GBA games.

The $100 difference is a pain, but with all the extra stuff the PSP does (mp3, videos, games, photos, etc.) it evens out for me.  The DS still has better battery life, but that isn't an issue for most of the people I know.  I can see how it'd be a deal breaker for some though.

And I realize I keep posting, but I'm bored, and am leaving my current job in two weeks, so I have time to kill.  Of course, when I start my new job, I won't be able to browse, so I need to get it in now smile.

---
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2005, 08:51:47 PM »

You seem pretty well informed on the PSP scott, do you knwo if there is some way to protect the screen of the psp? One thing I think nintnedo has finally done right starting with the SP is having the screen protected by folding down against itself. I would worry that with the PSP, unless it has some kind of protection it will get scrathed, especially with such a large screen. Of course, maybe it will be like the DS, and will be too big for a pocket anyways without looking like your boxers are rubbing you the wrong way  smile .

I wonder what Nintendo's position with the DS really is right now. Im not sure it is the true scuessor to the GBA sp. I keep thinking it is more like the virtua boy and is merely a side experiment.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2005, 09:02:10 PM »

Man, the PSP looks beautiful.

I saw it at E3 and was quiet impressed, but haven't really been keeping up with it.

Explain to me if you will, how one would go about watching a Band of Brothers episode on the psp.

If I can watch movies i download on it I'll preorder one tomorrow.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2005, 09:20:52 PM »

How to put videos on the PSP:
http://www.dvd2psp.net/

I think there will be an easier when it is released.  I haven't fully explored this stuff yet, just seen people write about it.  It looks easier then stuff to download movies to PDAs and such.   I think there are other options.  I also seem to recall that Sony will have a way to do this in the future, without using 3rd party stuff.  I'd love to know more as well.

One thing I think nintnedo has finally done right starting with the SP is having the screen protected by folding down against itself. I would worry that with the PSP, unless it has some kind of protection it will get scrathed, especially with such a large screen.

The GBA fold design is great, no doubts.  I love it on the GBA SP and the DS.   I think there are third party screen protectors for the PSP.  Look at EBGames and there are some.  I think the PSP comes with a case.  I doubt you'll be putting the PSP in a pants pocket, or the DS for that matter.  I think the PSP is slightly bigger then the DS overall.

I'm no expert on the PSP, I've just read a lot about it lately, and have a lot of free time for a couple weeks.  It looks look a very cool toy.  I think I'd love the DS concept a lot more if not for the PSP, which really seems to beat the DS in a lot of areas, by a large margin.  One could definitely argue the DS is superior for various reasons though.  I probably could, but I'll leave that to others smile.

---
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2005, 09:25:41 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Im not sure it is the true scuessor to the GBA sp. I keep thinking it is more like the virtua boy and is merely a side experiment.

The DS was always planned as the "Third Pillar" in the Nintendo lineup, whatever the hell that means. There will be a new GB. I wonder if I can scrounge up a link with all of the rumours floating around ...

Man, those PSP screens look great. If the battery life isn't as big an issue as some claim, and the X button nonsense isn't as big a problem as some claim, this thing is going to own.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2005, 03:37:50 AM »

Found the following link on the Gamespot PSP forum. Don't know how long it will stay up...

Excellent video of the PSP in action

Admin - fixed the long link, hope you don't mind
[edited to add]: Thanks! Wasn't sure how to do that!! smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2005, 04:18:13 AM »

I`m starting to wonder if scott sells these things... :wink: I`m starting to see why games etc. don`t evolve very much. Everyone bitches about anything new and complains about things taking a little time.
  I`m glad you guys can find some games you like for the psp, cuz none seem to look good to me. I`m not saying that the DS had a great launch lineup either...but saying the psp has a better lineup for launch is like saying the bigger pile of shit tastes better :wink: . And I still don`t see how you say the DS doesn`t use the screens good...M64DS mini games, Warioware touched...etc. You simply CAN`T play those games on any other system because they use the screens so effectively. Oh, well. To each his own.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2005, 05:47:16 AM »

I think the DS does actually do an excellent job of using the touchscreen, and it seems to be more then a gimmick.

I`m starting to wonder if scott sells these things...

:lol:

Until one of them gets smaller though, they dont do much for me. Ill keep my GBA till then. I dont need to game enough now anyways, and id rather keep my GBA then go for one of the rather large PSP or DS.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2005, 06:42:28 AM »

Yeah , the GBA is still quite nice. But my DS gets lots of play so far. All the GBA games look a tad better than the GBA, and the two(well, 3 if you count the demo)are great. On par with what I expected. Could their be a  better  seleection of AAA games? Sure. Are the 2 I have great and original? Hell yes! I think Warioware Touched is amazing. M64DS is also fun, and the mini games are a hoot! The metroid demo shows how capable this DS thingy is, with graphics and controls. They set out to make something different and they sure did. I`m not nintendo fanboy, but this thing rocks. It has serious potential. If your not impressed at all by the DS, you confues me :wink: .  It`s not perfect but it sure is interesting and great so far and only looks to get better. Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2005, 07:22:45 AM »

Wait... that wasnt directed at me was it? I couldnt tell. The games are not what bug me, its really just the size of the DS and PSP, and the non protected PSP and expensive price tag on the PSP. Otherwise I would want a DS, I just dont see myself using it very often because of the sheer size. I dont like people to know that I am carrying a video game around with me, which is why I like the GBA sp smile.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2005, 07:42:28 AM »

I was just shooting my mouth off and *cough*cough* the truth out there, that`s all. :wink: I come in peace smile .

And I was just speaking to the people in general. :wink:
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2005, 02:33:47 PM »

I wish I sold PSPs, at least so I could get a free one.   I just have extra time, and am excited about the PSP.

The DS doesn't use the touch screen well for me.  Personally, I have and have had PDAs.  I just don't like playing games with the stylus.  It is a gimmick to me, blah.  I'd rather use a mouse, or a good analog control.  I don't do much writing anymore either, so using a stylus to write or play games over a period of time cramps my hands.  Personally, there just isn't a draw to tapping on a game.  Plus, all the DS units I've seen get heavily scratched.  I'm pretty careful with my PDAs to not get scratched, so I'd definitely fear for the DS screen getting scratched.

I like the PSP lineup, because of some very good sports titles.  In that regard, for me, I think it is a very good lineup.  To each his own.  I didn't see anything that remotely looked good to me in the DS lineup.   Advance Wars DS could be pretty sweet though, and could sell me a DS.

I'm really hoping the PSP gets a lot of the turn based games from the PS2 lineup, like Disgaea, or Culdcept.  

The size of the PSP or DS doesn't bug me.  I can't think of any time I'd ever want to pocket it, or really pocketed my GBA SP.  I usually play at home on the couch, or throw it in a bag to bring somewhere anyway.  Battery life of the units isn't an issue for me either.  If I get two hours of uninteruppted time to play any game I'm lucky these days smile.

---
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2005, 02:52:50 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I wish I sold PSPs, at least so I could get a free one.   I just have extra time, and am excited about the PSP.

The DS doesn't use the touch screen well for me.  Personally, I have and have had PDAs.  I just don't like playing games with the stylus.  It is a gimmick to me, blah.  I'd rather use a mouse, or a good analog control.  I don't do much writing anymore either, so using a stylus to write or play games over a period of time cramps my hands.  Personally, there just isn't a draw to tapping on a game.  Plus, all the DS units I've seen get heavily scratched.  I'm pretty careful with my PDAs to not get scratched, so I'd definitely fear for the DS screen getting scratched.

I like the PSP lineup, because of some very good sports titles.  In that regard, for me, I think it is a very good lineup.  To each his own.  I didn't see anything that remotely looked good to me in the DS lineup.   Advance Wars DS could be pretty sweet though, and could sell me a DS.

I'm really hoping the PSP gets a lot of the turn based games from the PS2 lineup, like Disgaea, or Culdcept.  

The size of the PSP or DS doesn't bug me.  I can't think of any time I'd ever want to pocket it, or really pocketed my GBA SP.  I usually play at home on the couch, or throw it in a bag to bring somewhere anyway.  Battery life of the units isn't an issue for me either.  If I get two hours of uninteruppted time to play any game I'm lucky these days smile.

Scott, I think I agree with every single one of your points. (And I'm a DS owner!)

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2005, 06:35:57 PM »

I can't see getting a PSP if you already own a PS2.  If they are close in quaility why would you spend $250 for a PSP plus $40-$50 for games that you may have already played, or are available for, the PS2???  It makes no sense to me.  Unless of course you are a world traveler and then I understand.

I also could never sit down and watch a movie on a handheld device when I can watch it on my widescreen tv with surround sound.  If I'm going to spend $20 on a DVD I'm going to buy a regular one for my regular DVD player and not a proprietary one for a handheld.

Again though, if you are a traveller it makes perfect sense, otherwise I don't see it.

I'm just wondering. :?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2005, 06:47:05 PM »

Well, PSP exclusives would be one.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2005, 06:50:48 PM »

Hmm, are the DS screens scratching? Ive only seen one extensively andit hasnt scratched yet even though it is from launch.

Also scott, there is a thumb thingie so you dont have to use the stylus  smile .

People would buy a PSP for the same reason they would buy a GBA, which has many games from other systems. For the exclusives, and for gaming on the go. Same thing with the movie player. Nobody would want to watch a movie on their handheld if they had the option of watching it on a tv, but what about airplanes? Long trains to work? etc...
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »

Also scott, there is a thumb thingie so you dont have to use the stylus

So every mini-game for DS games can use both the stylus and digital control?  All the Wario mini games, etc.?  I was under the impression that the games defined the control, and could do pure stylus control, or just digital, etc.  I'd bet a lot of the DS games make use of the stylus input.  Otherwise, just make it a GBA game.  I still haven't seen a great use of the second screen either.  

I just looked at the reviews for the DS games.  They all apparently suck.  IGN and Gamespot are very critical of the DS games it seems, as well as some other sites.  Maybe suck is too strong a word, but it doesn't look like a solid library of games at all.  

I can't see getting a PSP if you already own a PS2. If they are close in quaility why would you spend $250 for a PSP plus $40-$50 for games that you may have already played, or are available for, the PS2??? It makes no sense to me. Unless of course you are a world traveler and then I understand.

The libraries are a bit different for one.  It is also nice to play in the car, at the gym, in bed, on the couch while your wife watches Apprentice, etc.  Also save me taking out my PS2 to play for 20 minutes, then spend about as much time cleaning up and putting it away so my kids don't get it.  There are tons of reasons to get the PSP for people.

I also could never sit down and watch a movie on a handheld device when I can watch it on my widescreen tv with surround sound. If I'm going to spend $20 on a DVD I'm going to buy a regular one for my regular DVD player and not a proprietary one for a handheld.

I can't take my HDTV and surround sound to the gym, or in the car smile.

Hmm, are the DS screens scratching? Ive only seen one extensively andit hasnt scratched yet even though it is from launch.

Scratching has to be a problem.  I admit, I haven't looked at the screen in detail, but the second you get a piece of dirt between the stylus and DS, you are in trouble.  All of the demo units I've seen have been badly scratched.  I'm the type of person that one of two scratches would drive me crazy.

Why only 14 or so games for the DS?  Hasn't it been out since November?  Where are all the cool DS games?  Is this another Nintendo product that people have to wait forever for each new game that takes advantage of the hardware?   It looks like 20+ PSP games at launch as a comparison.

---
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2005, 07:31:13 PM »

So every mini-game for DS games can use both the stylus and digital control? All the Wario mini games, etc.? I was under the impression that the games defined the control, and could do pure stylus control, or just digital, etc. I'd bet a lot of the DS games make use of the stylus input. Otherwise, just make it a GBA game.

I think you're confused by "thumb thingie". The thumb thingie is a hard plastic nub attached to the DS's strap that can be used on the touch screen, instead of the stylus. The thumb nub is essentially a stylus, it just allows you to use your thumb on the touchscreen so you can still hold the unit in your hand.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2005, 07:34:37 PM »

I understand.  But I'm one of those people that can only watch a DVD on a Friday or Saturday night, with popcorn and drinks.  I can't watch movies anywhere else except a theater.  I especially cannot watch a DVD during the week.  I can't explain it.

How do you watch and enjoy a movie at the gym?  Shouldn't you be concentrating on getting those rock hard abs? :wink:

smile

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2005, 07:57:39 PM »

Scott, the PSP launch isnt exactly looking stellar either. Nobody ahs been responding, but allow me to start now. I believe you ahve only briefly tried the DS in the stores, and have very little understanding of it. You admitted yourself that you did not know the DS was different from the GBA. This to me seems like you are simply a sony fan, and dislike the DS simply because it isnt the PSP. I think everyone here has been tiptoeing around this, but come on, its obvious.

The DS is much mroe powerful then the GBA, and is more like the N64. And I believe the PSP is more similar to the PSone then the PS2. The screenshots most definatly look more like it. There are many faults for the PSP. For one, there is the button problem. One of the buttons doesnt work! And Sony has said it isnt a problem. You worried about scratching your DS? At least it protects itself. And if you are careful it wont scratch with a stylus. I have a pocket PC which doesnt get scratched due to the stylus. Sure if I rubbed the stylus in sand and then used it on the pocket PC it would scratch, but im going to be mroe careful then that. And just because the store models are scratched to death doesnt mean that your average DS is going to be scrathed. Anything on display in a store is going to be damaged. Have you ntried a controller at your local walmart lately? Half the time the analog sticks are completely loose and dont respond. Those displays take a beating. I have personally never had an analog stick get ruined, but of course, I take care of mine. My point is, just beause the store model is scratched, it doesnt mean yours is going to be scratched. It is not a very good indicator.

Another problem, and perhaps the largest problem with the PSP and the one which is most likely to cause it problems? The price. Whos is going to be willing to buy one when you can get a DS and an xbox for roughly the same price? I mean come on, the price point of the PSP is ridiculous, and that is the biggest problem it is facing.

Anyone can go on, but what is the point? Both systems are not near perfect, but at the same time they are much closer in competition then you are making it seem. Every post is the same, why the DS sucks and how sweet the PSP is going to be. You havnt tried either extensively! Its just getting a bit ridiculous. Both systems have their merits and downfalls. Sure, be excited and read alot, but why do you feel the need to constantly come back and say how sucky the DS is? Do you work for Sony? Is there any reason to do this? Be excited about the PSP, but it really serves no purpose to make a point in every post to say how the DS sucks, especially since it is extremely evident you have almost no experience with it other then looking at it at a store display. You are coming off like a fanboi.

I dont even own either, and dont plan on it for a while either. I could care less if you are looking forward to one, in fact why not? You should. But there is no reason to make baseless claims against a system you havnt used, dont know, and have learned more about it in this thread then you knew before.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2005, 09:07:40 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
Scott, the PSP launch isnt exactly looking stellar either...The DS is much mroe powerful then the GBA, and is more like the N64. And I believe the PSP is more similar to the PSone then the PS2. The screenshots most definatly look more like it. There are many faults for the PSP. For one, there is the button problem. One of the buttons doesnt work!

I'd like to address a few points from your post:

1) I can understand that some people aren't interested in all the games for the PSP launch, or that they feel that some of them are straight ports of PS2 games, but to my mind, the PSP launch library is the strongest of any console ever released. And just off the top of my head I would list Lumines, Metal Gear Acid, and Mercury as interesting, original games that are not ports.

2) The PSP is not more similar to the PSone. It is very close to the PS2 and, from what I have read, even has some (albeit minor) features like processing of curves that slightly exceed the PS2. I would recommend that you look at some video footage on IGN or Gamespot, or the video I linked on the previous page. One look at a game like Ridge Racer in action and it's clear we're not talking PSone graphics  smile

3) Finally, to say that "one of the buttons doesn't work" is a very misleading statement. There have been problems for a small number of people with the square button sticking or not always registering. Sony has admitted that it was a design compromise to have the sensor below the square button be slightly off-set in order for the screen to be as wide as it is. As far as I can tell from reading accounts of those who have owned a PSP for a while, they have all said that they have not noticed any problem. Does this mean that there is no problem? NO! There are documented reports of some people (again, a small percentage) having very real problems! Sony needs to fix this! Still, let's not exaggerate and say that "one of the buttons doesn't work."  smile

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2005, 09:18:33 PM »

Cleric, my point wasnt to slam the PSP, but to point out that to praise it non stop and slam the DS is ridiculous.

Most of the launch titles are sports games. And then a couple of ports and a few original ones. All the DS is missing there is the sports games. They have original and ports. Their launches are both lackluster, nobody is fooled.

I have watched some videos on IGN, and to me it seems like PSone, or slightly above graphics being shrunk down to a smaller screen so the resolution looks better. Could they be PS2 graphics? Sure, thats not a stretch, the PS2 isnt so hot graphically that it isnt possible, it is a rather weak machine and is quite dated at this point.

The button issue isnt a huge deal, but for $250 my system damn well had better be fully functional. Sony's attitude towards it is terrible too. "Its art."

I dont care either way. I dont own either system, and probably will never own either system, at least ont until problems are worked out and the prices drop. My point wasnt to slam the PSP, but rather to illustrate how ridiculous the fanboism was getting. The PSP hasnt even been released yet, and he hasnt played the DS. To me, the whole argument becomes ridiculous once that is put into perpective.

Sure the button thing could be blown out of porportion, but that was the point. Most of scott's dislike of the DS is blown out of porportion considering earlier in this thread he stated that he wasnt aware the games were different between the DS and GBA. I mean he hasnt played it. The point was to be somewhat ridiculous. The PSP and DS have problems, both of which are being exagerated. The funny thing is, I could care less which system anyone liked, or which one did better.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 11:01:15 PM »

I'll preface this whole thing by saying I'm getting a PSP and I already own a launch day DS. This post is going to be sort of disjointed but I just wanted to try to hit on all the things I've seen in here:

-I think the DS keeps the recent Nintendo trend alive for me, and it isn't a good one.

I own all 3 consoles and the ratio of games I get breaks down to about 1 GC game for every 4 PS2 and 10 X-Box.

This isn't to say that I don't like the the GC but it's a niche system for me. The DS looks to do the same thing. 1st party games, the occasional exclusive and that's it. There are ZERO multi platfrom games that I've ever bought on for the GC and I've owned all systems since launch. The DS looks like it's going down the same road.

-PSP Price: For the $100 more than the DS this is understandable. You get so much more with the PSP (better graphics, movies, music, etc) you may not WANT all the extra stuff, but it's there and would warrant the cost.

-Owning a PS2/X-Box and a PSP: Like Scott mentioned. If you're married this is a big plus. Sitting next to your significant other and not paying attention to them is better than being in a different room :wink:.  The ability to play in any room at any time is a HUGE plus.

-Competition: This system is competing with my PS2 more than my DS. When MVP comes out I'll be getting it for the PSP. GC and DS would have never crossed my mind. When Animal Crossing comes out for DS I'll be getting it there. The PSP takes from my PS2 game buying, not my DS. XBox remains rather safe with me due to Live, etc.. This kinda goes with my first point, but now against Sony.

-Sports Games: This is my major focus in gaming and for portable sports, it's not even close.

-Battery Life: I don't remember the last time I had more than 4 consecutive hours to do ANYTHING, much less play games. I understand that this could be an issue for some, just not for me.

-Quality Issues: My DS had some dead pixels. My PS2 broke down. My XBox drive died. There is no sense going hysterical about anything. Does anyone actually know someone who has a problem with their PSP? I'm sure the people at Sony, MS, Nintendo, Ford, Panasonic etc. don't set out to make things that suck and don't work (well, maybe Ford  :wink: ). Shit happens.

That is all...for now!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2005, 11:02:07 PM »

I really think that the PSP has graphics that are closer to the PS2 than the PSOne. EA even claims that the PSP has graphics that compare to 2rd or 3rd generation PS2 games. NFL Street 2 looks just as good as the PS2 version. Just compare Madden on the DS to NFL Street 2 on the PSP. Yikes.

The price is going to be the big hurdle that Sony has to overcome, but if they keep with the impressive lineup of titles, I don't see that as being too much of a problem.

The DS is ok, but so far I have been mightily unimpressed with it since I purchased it. The severe lack of games is my main complaint. The DS would be a huge failure, if it wasn't for the GBA compatability, IMO. It seems like Nintendo rushed the thing out just to beat the PSP to market, but really didn't have much software to back it up.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2005, 01:59:03 AM »

And I believe the PSP is more similar to the PSone then the PS2. The screenshots most definatly look more like it. There are many faults for the PSP.

As others have mentioned, look again, watch some videos, and read some previews and interviews with the game publishers.  The PSP is basically a miniture PS2.

For one, there is the button problem. One of the buttons doesnt work! And Sony has said it isnt a problem.

A small amount of people have claimed this to be an issue.  Gamespot didn't see the problem, nor a lot of others.  This isn't any different then lost pixels, or other minor problems that Devil has mentioned.

. You worried about scratching your DS? At least it protects itself. And if you are careful it wont scratch with a stylus.

How does the DS protect itself when I'm playing a game?  That was my point.  I don't want to be very careful when I'm trying to play a game.  Games usually require quick, dextrous movement, unlike a PDA.  You can be careful with a PDA, the DS is a different beast, and the screen is likely to take more abuse because of the rapid stylus input.  Anyone can buy or use the PSP case when it isn't on as well.  It isn't much more difficult to put the PSP in case, as opposed to flipping the DS cover over.

I take care of mine. My point is, just beause the store model is scratched, it doesnt mean yours is going to be scratched. It is not a very good indicator

I didn't say it was it was indicitive.  I just said every single DS I've seen is beat to hell.  Not every analog stick is.  Again, it is just subjective, but I believe the DS screen has the potential to be scratched.  

Another problem, and perhaps the largest problem with the PSP and the one which is most likely to cause it problems? The price. Whos is going to be willing to buy one when you can get a DS and an xbox for roughly the same price? I mean come on, the price point of the PSP is ridiculous, and that is the biggest problem it is facing.

I believe the price point isn't an issue at all.  I don't think Sony is worried either.  Look at the presells, a substantial amount of stores are selling there second shipment already.  

Take another example, the iPod.  The iPod dominates the MP3 market.  The iPod is also a lot more expensive then competing MP3 players.  While the gap in price has closed, the iPod is still more expensive.  Why does the iPod sell?  The iPod is sexy, very well designed, and works incredibly well.  The PSP has that same appeal, very sleek, well designed, and very powerful.  I think like the iPod, the PSP will easily sell at the price point beyond the DS.  The PSP is simply a substantially more powerful device then the DS, and does quite a bit more.  $100 more for the PSP is a bargain.  

s there any reason to do this? Be excited about the PSP, but it really serves no purpose to make a point in every post to say how the DS sucks, especially since it is extremely evident you have almost no experience with it other then looking at it at a store display. You are coming off like a fanboi.

I've seen a lot of criticism of the PSP, which is one reason I'm defending it.  I've seen a lot of praise of the DS too, and after I've done a lot of investigating of it, I'm really, really disappointed.  I've liked the previous Gameboys, but I think the DS is horrid.  I almost bought one the other day, but after looking at the games, blah.

But there is no reason to make baseless claims against a system you havnt used, dont know, and have learned more about it in this thread then you knew before.

They aren't baseless, and a lot of the opinions were just my opinions.  I never expressed as fact that the DS will scratch.  I just think, from my use of PDAs, and playing games, that the DS may have the problem.  I've read reviews.  Look at the IGN scores:

Wario Ware Touched! 8.5
Zoo Keeper 7.0
Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 2005 6.0
Ping Pals 3.5
Sprung Adventure 4.0
Ridge Racer DS    Racing 7.5
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits 6.5
Madden NFL 2005 7.0
The Urbz: Sims in the City 7.0
Super Mario 64 DS 8.9
Asphalt: Urban GT 5.5
Feel the Magic: XY/XX 7.8
Spider-Man 2 7.5

No score above 9, with quite a few duds.  That is the entire DS library for 3 months.

You admitted yourself that you did not know the DS was different from the GBA.

Two days of research have shown me differently, and I admitted that.  

This to me seems like you are simply a sony fan, and dislike the DS simply because it isnt the PSP. I think everyone here has been tiptoeing around this, but come on, its obvious.

I like the PSP.  Not because it is from Sony, but because it is better.  It has the capability to play games that rival the current generation of consoles, and have the same feature sets and depth.  I don't like the DS because it is still playing games that are 5 years old, and all the shortcoming it has had.

I've owned every piece of Nintendo hardware that has come out so far, except for the DS, so I don't really have anything against Nintendo, just bad design and bad games.   I love the GBA SP, and think its design, especially when it came out, was great.

This thread started out as a very pro-PSP thread, what'd you expect smile?

I understand. But I'm one of those people that can only watch a DVD on a Friday or Saturday night, with popcorn and drinks. I can't watch movies anywhere else except a theater. I especially cannot watch a DVD during the week. I can't explain it.

I was one of those guys, then kids came.  Now I've learned to watch movies whenever, and wherever.  I don't think my home theater setup has been off midnight mode in years frown.

How do you watch and enjoy a movie at the gym? Shouldn't you be concentrating on getting those rock hard abs? Wink

Probably on the bike or stair climber I think, maybe the treadmill.  I could use it as an MP3 player as well if I wanted to, which is pretty cool.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2005, 02:07:04 AM »

Sure the button thing could be blown out of porportion, but that was the point. Most of scott's dislike of the DS is blown out of porportion considering earlier in this thread he stated that he wasnt aware the games were different between the DS and GBA. I mean he hasnt played it. The point was to be somewhat ridiculous

Like I mentioned earlier, I admited the mistake, went and looked at the unit more, checked it out in the stores, read the game reviews, ehh.  Because I made a previous mistake, and admitted it, more opinions aren't valid?

Do you have to play poorly reviewed games to know they aren't good, or view bad tvs or other electronics to not trust some reviews?  If a review from a site you trust, claims the games are bad, have poor controls, or don't make good use of the hardware, do you always have to play them to validate them?  Do you have to do your own personal research on stuff all the time to make decisions?  If I read a ton of information on the DS (and not assume like I earlier did), is all that information from Gamespot, IGN, Gamespy, etc. worthless?

Most of the launch titles are sports games. And then a couple of ports and a few original ones. All the DS is missing there is the sports games. They have original and ports. Their launches are both lackluster, nobody is fooled.

I'm in the camp that it is a pretty great launch lineup.  Take away the sports games, you still have a Metal Gear Solid game, Lumines a solid puzzler, Twisted Metal, Wipeout, an action RPG,  a fighter, other racing games, Dynasty Warriors, and a couple others.

In the very near future the PSP adds Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo.  The star power for the PSP games is incredible.

Of Nintendo's big franchises, only Mario made it, and unfortunately the Mario wasn't original at all, just a port of Mario 64 with a few extras.  

There really is no comparison to the launch lineups.  A number of the launch titles have scored very well for the PSP in Japan.  Not sure about how the DS titles did there, but IGN and Gamespot weren't very high on most DS titles.

Anyway, I've looked into the DS a lot lately.  Now it is your turn Chrisoc13 to look into the PSP, and see the graphical power, read some of the reviews of the games, etc.  And look at everyone else, the people that have the DS also pretty much mirror what I've said.  The DS is a disappointment.  If the PSP sucks, I'll be the first person here to admit I wasted $250 on it!

---
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2005, 05:18:18 AM »

*cough* fanboi *cough*  :wink:
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2005, 07:56:44 AM »

Just to clarify so nobody takes my post the wrong way, scott im gald you ahve beenresearching it more. Hopefully the PSP will be really great, I just have my doubts with all of the problems being reported so far. Obviously many people didnt read my second post, or just disregarded it anywho. To me, both release launches were lackluster, but im not a big fan of sports games, so that might change my perception, and there are design flaws (not just the button, personal ones, such as the open screen) and whatnot. I honestly wont be getting either for a long time. I just got a GBA (my first handheld since the game gear) a few months ago. Lets just try and be a little more balanced here if you know what I mean. Opinions are taken more seriously when they appear to be somewhat balanced.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2005, 10:28:03 AM »

Also scott, there is a thumb thingie so you dont have to use the stylus

So every mini-game for DS games can use both the stylus and digital control?  All the Wario mini games, etc.?  I was under the impression that the games defined the control, and could do pure stylus control, or just digital, etc.  I'd bet a lot of the DS games make use of the stylus input.  Otherwise, just make it a GBA game.  I still haven't seen a great use of the second screen either.  

I just looked at the reviews for the DS games.  They all apparently suck.  IGN and Gamespot are very critical of the DS games it seems, as well as some other sites.  Maybe suck is too strong a word, but it doesn't look like a solid library of games at all.  

I can't see getting a PSP if you already own a PS2. If they are close in quaility why would you spend $250 for a PSP plus $40-$50 for games that you may have already played, or are available for, the PS2??? It makes no sense to me. Unless of course you are a world traveler and then I understand.

The libraries are a bit different for one.  It is also nice to play in the car, at the gym, in bed, on the couch while your wife watches Apprentice, etc.  Also save me taking out my PS2 to play for 20 minutes, then spend about as much time cleaning up and putting it away so my kids don't get it.  There are tons of reasons to get the PSP for people.

I also could never sit down and watch a movie on a handheld device when I can watch it on my widescreen tv with surround sound. If I'm going to spend $20 on a DVD I'm going to buy a regular one for my regular DVD player and not a proprietary one for a handheld.

Scratching has to be a problem.  I admit, I haven't looked at the screen in detail, but the second you get a piece of dirt between the stylus and DS, you are in trouble.  All of the demo units I've seen have been badly scratched.  I'm the type of person that one of two scratches would drive me crazy.

Why only 14 or so games for the DS?  Hasn't it been out since November?  Where are all the cool DS games?  Is this another Nintendo product that people have to wait forever for each new game that takes advantage of the hardware?   It looks like 20+ PSP games at launch as a comparison.

UG! Where to  begin ???:wink: .

The DS has been out for only a few months...Don`t you think these things take time. The PSP lauch games are mostly shit anyway. Both systems will have good games in time. Plus the DS does have afew great games right now. I like how you say all the games suck because you read reviews at ign etc. Ign gave warioware touched a 85. And M64DS a high score too...
 And I have zero scratches on my screen...And as for the ones at the stores getting scratched...Everytime I go into eb or a store with a ds on display. Some idiot kid is jabbing the stylus into the screen...certainly not being used correctly...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2005, 02:30:51 PM »

The PSP lauch games are mostly shit anyway.

Seriously though, I don't know how you can claim the PSP launch games are mostly shit. I think this is one of the most impressive launch lineups for a system, handheld or not, ever.

Compare it with the launch lineup of the DS....now that was mostly shit. I bought the DS, not for DS games (since there are basicly none that interest me at all right now) but for the GBA games.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2005, 04:29:15 PM »

It has me convinced. Anyone who thinks that the DS is worthless hasn't properly tried it, but the releases so far with the exception of Mario DS are awful. (I haven't tried Wario yet). The device has so many possibilties, with a portable Age of Empires and EU2 on the way, along with a lot of support from Square.  Whose to say that Civ and pirates won't be next. And for the first time ever my wife, mother and sister were all hooked on one of my toys. That was just the Mario mini games. Mahjong (I know it's mispelt, but I never have a clue with these kind of words) is one of my wifes favorite games, and there's a Nintendo version coming out for the DS. Irony is that it was my Christmas/X-Mas present, yet my wife plays it far then me. I'm hoping that the burgeoning  DS scene will enable the likes of Scummvm to be played on the Ds, or maybe a Snes emulator for the likes of FF 4-6, Ultima 7 or the other classic Snes games. Especially now that flashcards seem to be quite cheap. The DS could be the freshest thing to happen to gaming for years, yet going by Nintendos record it could easily come second.

On the other hand the PSP looks like my kind of thing. I'm pretty sure that I'll be importing it (looks like buying the American version works out cheaper then waiting for the thing to be finally released in Europe) along with Fifa and whatever second game I can decide on. I love football games, and it looks like the PSP could give me a first decent portable football experience. Give me a decent Wrestling game as well and I'm in heaven. And I would love a few of those Playstation/P2 RPGs I've missed over the years.

So in conclusion, I think that both are portables are great, and that they are so diverse that owning both is the only way forward.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
The PSP lauch games are mostly shit anyway.

Seriously though, I don't know how you can claim the PSP launch games are mostly shit. I think this is one of the most impressive launch lineups for a system, handheld or not, ever.

Compare it with the launch lineup of the DS....now that was mostly shit. I bought the DS, not for DS games (since there are basicly none that interest me at all right now) but for the GBA games.

If you like sports, I will agree with you. But in all honesty, its a sports machine. Maybe this problem is bigger then just fanbois  smile . I dont like the PS2 for its selection of games. They do nothing for me. I find it heavy on sports, square/enix and mgs games. So perhpasthis is why the PSP launch titles are all "meh" to me. On the other hand, Nintendo has always been a little bit special to me (after Sega). Their games feel more fun and enjoyable (to me). This could be the bigger problem, what sony brings to the table normally doesnt interest me. Over half of the PSP games are sports games. Thats great if you love sports games, but I dont. The DS on the other hand has had a rash of puzzle games it seems, something which am not into as well. Knowing Nintendo, Im hoping they can pull this out of no where, and to be honest, they probably will. This is Nintendo.

And the price point is an issue all around. Sure it can do more, but it isnt a full sized console. I hope for sony's sake that it will work out, but it costs about the same as the DS and the cube together. Most parents are going to see that and say, yeah, lets go with the nintendo. Hopefully a price war will start, maybe then I will jump on the scene  smile .
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2005, 11:39:53 PM »

To be fair I said both launch lineups were mostly shit...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: