http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:41:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP pics ... holy *@#$%^&*!!! (56K warning)  (Read 10030 times)
Cleric7
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2005, 04:11:51 PM »

better than sex ...  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

[edited to add] The following Zelda pic is a fake (but funny! biggrin )

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:16:48 PM »

So WHY is that Link on a PSP?  In WindWaker, no less?  Or is that a mockup?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:17:16 PM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"
better than sex ...  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Although they are nice, I'm thinking you need to give sex another chance...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »

Quote from: "Zarkon"
So WHY is that Link on a PSP?  In WindWaker, no less?  Or is that a mockup?

I imagine the guy copied some video footage of Wind Waker onto a memory stick and then had the PSP play it.  smile

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 04:21:37 PM »

no, it's definitely photoshopped, and poorly too- you can see the edges of the image underneath.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 04:23:46 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
no, it's definitely photoshopped, and poorly too- you can see the edges of the image underneath.

You know, the more I look at it, the more I think you're right!
Just stuck it in as a joke, though  smile  ... all the rest are actual photographs of the PSP running.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 04:32:01 PM »

The second pic looks a bit "off" as well...
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 04:44:03 PM »

The Wind Waker thing ruins it for me becuase now I don't know which of the other shots are fake.  So I have no idea how good or bad it really looks.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 04:45:28 PM »

Too bad the battery will die half-way through a movie though. slywink  Seriously I think it looks great, but I'll wait a bit for mine though.

"If God made anything better than sex then he kept it for Himself."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 05:27:24 PM »

better than sex ...  

Can someone please explain to me what sex is??? :?

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »

So am I the only one that thinks buying movies on a shitty proprietary, low-resolution format is probably not going to fly?  

I'm not buying that thing for it's multimedia capabilities (do I really want to worry about smashing the screen while listening to MP3s?), I only care about the games.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 06:07:48 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
The Wind Waker thing ruins it for me becuase now I don't know which of the other shots are fake.  So I have no idea how good or bad it really looks.

Sorry that it ruins it for you. All the rest of the pics are legit. The second picture is from a digital photograph that the author took on holidays and was displaying on his PSP.

[edited, again! to add]: I briefly took down the photos, because I'm having a bad brain day  smile  ... but, with Chris' encouragement have put them back up. I hope people will enjoy them!  smile

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »

Wow, cool pics. Nevermind, the link is gone as are the pictures, or whatever was in the post. Anybody have the screens? I would like to see them. Celric, come on, you can leave them on even if a few people say that one photoshopped picture ruins it for them. Let others be the judge at all. If everybody destroyed the point of a thread after negative things were said by whomever, there would be nothing to talk about anymore.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »

And the pics are up!

Anyways, despite all the delightfully negative overtones that the rest have posted, I'm still very interested in this little gadget, and welcome any and all pictures that may be had. True, I won't buy it day 1, but eventually (down the road) I will have one.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 06:31:45 PM »

Thank you cleric  smile . I appreciate being able to look at them. The screen for the PSP is rather impressive, and I could see myself wanting it for movies on the go (ie. airplanes, etc.), but only if the battery life is good. Hopefully that problem was fixed. The windwaker one looks completely differnt then the rest, and is obviously photoshopped, but the other look like movies and pictures. Which is cool. You have to give it to sony, that PSP has a sleak screen. I want one because  of the size of the screen alone. Interesting though. My interest keeps going up (but with the current price of it, it goes down a bit as well). What im interested in are in game screenshots as well though. How does it compare to the DS. If it is like comparing an N64 to a PS1, the DS would get me. Smoother graphics for em, but I dont know how it compares.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 06:32:54 PM »

I'm the one who's been negative! I have been overly "touchy" today about some very reasonable comments, and re-edited my own comments as fast as I could to be more constructive. I apologize to everyone! (especially Farley: I definitely understand your point!)

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 06:44:58 PM »

I am excited to see what the psp can do with the usb port.  I'm hoping we will be able to run movies of usb memory sticks and maybe even run programs off it them.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 06:45:48 PM »

The one thing I have noticed that the DS has going for it over the PSP is the self protection of the screen. nintendo got that right with the GBA sp, and thankfully carried it on to the DS as well. It makes it nice to be able to stick my GBA in my pocket and not worry about scratching the screen. The PSP screen is so nice I would always be worried about scratchign or hurting it  :shock: .
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 07:20:38 PM »

Cleric, thanks for posting those. That shot of the PSP next to the DS made me realize how small it really is. Somehow, with that screen, I just thought the PS was larger.

Damn, resistance to forum effect failing...
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 07:32:42 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
better than sex ...  

You must be married if you've forgotten what sex is
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 07:41:51 PM »

Im not that stoked about the movies-I could actually care less-mainly what I want is some cool games, but so far I am not seeing a slew of RPG's -and thats mainly what I want this console for.
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 08:09:11 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
I am excited to see what the psp can do with the usb port.  I'm hoping we will be able to run movies of usb memory sticks and maybe even run programs off it them.

You can run movies/video files from the memory cards (once converted to the right format), hence the Futurama pic for example.  Of course it's been possible to do that with the GBA for years so isn't anything new, but that nice large screen sure is appealing.

Programs are another matter entirely since they need to be digitally signed by Sony for the PSP to run them. I'm sure there will be ways around that eventually, I wouldn't like to have to open up and try modding one of those tiny things though smile

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

Here is a interesting link for converting DVDs (that you own!!) to PSP-readable info.

http://www.dvd2psp.net/

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 08:14:03 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
better than sex ...  

It is due out right after Duke Nukem Forever releases.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »

Quote from: "Elenkis"
Quote from: "GatorFavre"

You can run movies/video files from the memory cards (once converted to the right format), hence the Futurama pic for example.  Of course it's been possible to do that with the GBA for years so isn't anything new, but that nice large screen sure is appealing.

Programs are another matter entirely since they need to be digitally signed by Sony for the PSP to run them. I'm sure there will be ways around that eventually, I wouldn't like to have to open up and try modding one of those tiny things though smile

Whoa, you can do that with the GBA? How have I missed this?!?! You must tell me how, I beg of you.  smile Seriously, I have to fly to oregon in a week or so and I wouldnt mind having something to do during my 4 hours or so of waiting for the stupid shuttle to salem. I didnt know this was possible.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 08:36:22 PM »

GBA Movie Player

I bought one of these from lik-sang. I haven't actually converted anything or really used it yet, but the demo stuff looks good. It won't compare in any way to what the PSP is capable of, but can do the job. You'll need a big Compact Flash card to hold anything really big.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »

I like these Dynasty Warrior pics myself, and the comparison between the GBA and PSP.  Guess which system is which:

---
XBox Live: ScottW
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I like these Dynasty Warrior pics myself, and the comparison between the GBA and PSP.  Guess which system is which

It's a tough one slywink

First clue is the size of the screen (if you get past the obvious graphical differences, if not that would be the first clue)

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 10:09:10 PM »

But now how about a more fair comparison of the DS to the PSP? The GBA isnt the one meant to compete with the PSP.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005, 10:57:10 PM »

please, everyone, continue to get really excited about the psp (for the sake of those of us who won't jump in for the first 6-12 months but want it to be there when we're finally ready - well, it's true smile ...)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 11:05:15 PM »

Couldn't be more IN!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005, 02:30:11 AM »

But now how about a more fair comparison of the DS to the PSP? The GBA isnt the one meant to compete with the PSP.

Okay, the DS adds another crappy screen that isn't really used well in any game I've seen.  The two DS screens still don't have the overall resolution of the one PSP screen, and still can't compare graphically.  I mean, one beautiful screen, or 10 year old graphics and a mini-map?  Easy choice to me.

I loved the design of the older GBA, the small one with the flip open screen.  The DS leaves me cold.  It is ugly, and to big for the small screen it has.  I really don't want or need the extra screen.  I want to focus on one nice area at a time.

Fun CNET article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-5658428-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld

Basically, the PSP may force the iPod to advance more then Jobs would want.  I mean, where can the iPod really go?  More storage?  At this point, who cares.  The picture iPod is lame, photos on that small screen are pretty pathetic.   A video iPod really needs to be introduced, but then, the PSP may stilll be nicer.  Interesting to see the PSP's crossover appeal.

Nintendo licensing Palm's software for the DS is pretty interesting, but I really don't think the Palm OS will appeal much to Nintendo's tradional main audience.

I'm going to get the PSP.  Preordered, hopefully in the first  batch.  I was wavering, but the PSP looks like such a cool toy, between the games, videos, music, etc.  I can download a Band of Brothers episode to the PSP to watch at the gym, or play a game on the bike, etc.  Very cool.

I think the PSP to iPod comparison is pretty sound.  The iPod costs more then other MP3 players, and sells really well because of the better design, and coolness factor.  I think the PSP will sell very well, as it really targets a different audience then the DS, and the PSP has the same coolness factor as the iPod.

The PSP has been the #1 lusted after CNET gadget for a while now:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-8900_7-1008327-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld

First clue is the size of the screen (if you get past the obvious graphical differences, if not that would be the first clue)

Yeah, if I was clever I would have played with the images more, but didn't have the time.  Just funny to see the differences in the same type of game, by the same company.  Those PSP images are about the worst looking ones I've seen for the system too.

---
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 03:28:53 AM »

Woa scott, calm down now  biggrin . I wasnt saying the DS is better then the PSP, I wasnt saying the PSP isnt any good, I wasnt even saying the DS was good. I was just stating the obvious fact that comparing the PSP to GBA is like comparing the PSone to the Xbox, not exactly a fair  comparison  smile . Im sure the PSP will be great really. I hope everyone who gets one enjoys one, and when it drops in price I too will likely have one. Same with the DS, I dont want to start a console war between two systems when one of them hasnt even been released yet and I have barely had a chance to try the DS let alone the PSP  Cool . But for fairness sake, the GBA isnt meant ot equal the PSP. I believe the DS is its competitor  smile .
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 03:43:41 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Okay, the DS adds another crappy screen that isn't really used well in any game I've seen.  The two DS screens still don't have the overall resolution of the one PSP screen, and still can't compare graphically.  I mean, one beautiful screen, or 10 year old graphics and a mini-map?  Easy choice to me.

I loved the design of the older GBA, the small one with the flip open screen.  The DS leaves me cold.  It is ugly, and to big for the small screen it has.  I really don't want or need the extra screen.  I want to focus on one nice area at a time.

Wow, what did nintendo do to you? :wink:  To each his/her won I guess. I guess the DS screen in warioware isn`t really used well... :wink:
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2005, 03:53:36 AM »

LOL srry doubled that last post...BTW, I just saw how much the udm(or whatver it`s called, the disk format for this) movies cost for this thing. $19.99 to $29.99. Kinda steep. I guess I`d rather watch a movie on anything but this. Just my opinion though.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2005, 07:34:12 AM »

Not only that, you qoted yourself  :shock: .

Scott, you really should try the DS more before you say the screen is innefective. Try playing feel the magic. Its fine not to like a system, but be careful with saying how wonderful a system is when it hasnt been released, and be careful judging a system you obviously havnt tried much.

I have had limited use of the DS, and I can say that if you have tried feel the magic or any of the other games designed for the DS, you would know that it isnt innefective.

Look at these two screenshots, any guess which is the SNES and which is the PSone of the same type of game, even the same series  :wink: ?

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 07:45:42 AM »

Lol! How did manage that.  :o
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »

I have a DS, but I must say that the PSP blows it away, both in power and in sheer number of games available. I mean, the PSP at launch will have more games for it than the DS has available since it launched last year (excluding GBA games you can play on the DS, which is the only reason I still have the DS).

I just paid off my preorder of the PSP yesterday. If you guys want to get a PSP at launch you better hurry, many EB's and Gamestops are sold out and are taking orders now for their second shipment sometime in April.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »

Woa scott, calm down now Very Happy . I wasnt saying the DS is better then the PSP, I wasnt saying the PSP isnt any good, I wasnt even saying the DS was good.

I'm not fired up smile, don't worry.  I just think the DS is blah.  Nintendo has had better designs in the past.  

I was just stating the obvious fact that comparing the PSP to GBA is like comparing the PSone to the Xbox, not exactly a fair comparison

?  It is a very fair comparison, to compare the PSP to the GBA/DS.  Not that many games really make effective use of the second DS screen, especially when the PSP comes out.

For me, and just for me, the second screen doesn't do much.  I've tried the games in the store, and ehh.  I have a PDA that I can tap, tap, tap all I want as well.  Stylus input on games doesn't thrill me, and I haven't really seen it done that well, in the current DS games or PDA games.  It works for chess and a few other games, but overall, ehh.

I think the design and styling of the DS isn't up to Nintendo standards either.

Ultimately, what it comes down to for me, is that the PSP has 'real' games.   The sports games on the PSP will be basically the same as the PS2/XBox ones, with full stats, full leagues, full player databases, etc.  The last sports game I bought on the GBA had 4 teams.  The PSP games are pretty current, great graphics, modern feature sets, etc.  The GBA/DS games really look dated.  I don't want to play yesterdays games, I want to play fairly current games, even on my handheld.  

Again, just all personal preferences smile  If people like the DS, great!  I'm all for competition.

This isn't the politics forum or a talk about Tom Brady, so lets all have a good fun discussion smile.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2005, 03:47:02 PM »

LOL srry doubled that last post...BTW, I just saw how much the udm(or whatver it`s called, the disk format for this) movies cost for this thing. $19.99 to $29.99. Kinda steep. I guess I`d rather watch a movie on anything but this. Just my opinion though.

I don't think I'd ever buy a movie for this.  I mean, why not a full DVD?  Since you can download DVDs or other media content to a memory stick, and play it on the PSP, why not do that?  I can think of uses for the PSP as a video player in that regard.  Go to the gym, watch a movie riding a bike, on on a plane, train, etc.  I think the PSP will be easier to use on a plane then a laptop, for example.

---
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: