http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 03:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP new buyer questions  (Read 1487 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »

Looks like i might pull the trigger on a new PSP.    Here are my questions......

-Might purchase the new Daxter package.   What other accessories do i need other than what comes in the bundle?   Do i need a memory card?   If so, what's a good and inexpensive card to get?
-How about screen protectors?   Does most use them?   Whats a good one to get without blurring the screen?
-Travel and carrying case.   Suggestions on something light weight and inexpensive.
-Wheres a reliable store to purchase from?   If i get a unit with a dead pixel can i return it to most places?   Who would hassle me less about a return if need be?  Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target, Circuit City, Gamestop, or online retailer?

Lastly, i need another good game recommendation.   I'll have Daxter naturally, but something everyone else can suggest?   I've read good stuff about Syphon Filter and KillZone Liberation.   I know alot are liking some of the rpg's, but they don't interest me for the PSP.   

Anything else i'm missing?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 20, 2007, 01:19:59 PM

-Travel and carrying case.   Suggestions on something light weight and inexpensive.

It's been a while since I've owned my PSP, but as far as I know nobody's topped the Logitech case:

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:32:40 PM »

Problem with the logictech case is that it is too big for the new psp.  Not sure if they've released new cases yet...

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:40:13 PM »

Im also getting a PSP soon and have done a lot of research myself.

IMHO..

1. The Dax pack coems with a 1 gig card.
2. I plan to buy a screen protector myself but not sure what.
3. Logitech. But the PSP 2000 rattles around in the current case. They will make a new one or add-in foam for this one.
4. I plan to get mine at Wal-Mart so I can return it if need be.

As for other items I plan to buy a USB cable which comes with a app to transfer movies and music to the PSP. Also some good headphones. My old ones suck. And then later a wi-fi adapter for my PC to let me use the PSP wirelessly for the net and gaming.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:43:04 PM »

Ya i was thinking Wal Mart might be the best choice.   Do they carry the Daxter pack?

And that USB cable really interests me.   Tell me about that a bit.   What can you transfer with that?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 20, 2007, 01:19:59 PM

-How about screen protectors?   Does most use them?   Whats a good one to get without blurring the screen?

I picked up a used unit from Gamestop, and whoever originally owned it had some kind of clear protective coating put over the entire front of the unit.  Wish I know who did it, as it does an awesome job of protecting the thing and I'd highly recommend it.  Any smudges just wipe right off with a slightly damp paper towel, and it's very scratch resistant.

I've read good stuff about Syphon Filter and KillZone Liberation.   I know alot are liking some of the rpg's, but they don't interest me for the PSP.

Dunno if that includes SRPG's, but Jeanne D'Arc is easily the best game I've played this year on any system.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »

ya i was thinking of the screen protectors, but i don't want something that blurs the screen or leaves those ugly bubbles

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »

The usb cable lets you transfer files and stuff from your computer to the PSP without a wireless network. Also it works as a recharger for the new PSPs.

Ya Wal-Mart has the Dax paks.

Games Im looking at are Jeanne d'Arc for an RPG and Siphon Filter Dark Mirror for a shooter. Or maybe Socom or one of the WW2 shooters. But Ive never read anything positive about Killzone. Id skip that one myself. Next year God of War comes to the PSP.

And if you're a Star Trek fan theres Star Trek Tactical Assault. Its like a simpler Starfleet Command. Its only gotten middle of the road reviews but it looks cool.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:19:02 PM by Daehawk » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:31 PM »

Hori makes a fantastic screen protector for PSP.  It used to be available at Gamestops but I don't know if they still carry it. 
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:44:01 PM »

My most played PSP games . . .
1. Jeanne d'Arc
2. Hot Shots Golf
3.  Metal Gear Acid 2
4. Puzzle Quest
5.  Lego Star Wars 2

Give Killzone a rental . . . I liked it, myself.
And if you like old school style games . . . the Mega Man titles (powered up and Maverick Hunter X) are pretty good.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »

Do those Hori protectors give the screen a blurry image or does it still look really good and clear?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 03:10:37 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 20, 2007, 03:09:40 PM

Do those Hori protectors give the screen a blurry image or does it still look really good and clear?

Really good and clear.  You won't even know that it's on there. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:42 PM »

I'm glad Xmann made this thread because I'm thinking of getting a PSP too
I've noticed that some GT'ers have mentioned that they've bought refurb units.

Is there significant benefits in the 2000 over a refurb of the original model?

I should note that the size of the unit isn't a big deal for me because I'll always carry it in my laptop case and my hands are quite large. What I'm more interested in is things like improved battery life, better display, whether refurb units are reliable, etc.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »

Same display though reviews have said it seems brighter and sharper.

Battery is smaller but seems to last the same as before. 3-5 hours. You can pop in a PSP1 battery for longer play but the cover wont fit then. They are working on a bigger battery with cover.

The size is barely noticable as smaller but the weight is a lot less. its very light from reading about it.

Overall the word used most often is "cheaper" because it feels cheap compared to the original. They say if you own a PSP1 now then theres not really a reason to switch.

Oh and the buttons and pad are better. What they mean by that I dont know.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

I have the silver PSP and just installed the Hori screen protector (I got it from www.decalgirl.com).  I did notice that it is about 1.0 to 1.5 mm too short on length and width, so that there is a very small amount of exposed screen along the edges.  The Hori screen protector fit my old PSP like a charm.  Anyone else notice this?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 06:21:07 PM »

Target also sells the Dax pack, it's where I bought mine. The guy told me if I had any problems with it would be no problem returning it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 20, 2007, 03:49:14 PM

The size is barely noticable as smaller but the weight is a lot less. its very light from reading about it.

Overall the word used most often is "cheaper" because it feels cheap compared to the original. They say if you own a PSP1 now then theres not really a reason to switch.

Oh and the buttons and pad are better. What they mean by that I dont know.

Well...I held both units in my hand today at futureshop and other than the PSP 2000 being lighter I really couldn't notice a difference. The buttons also seem to be in the exact same positions. According to 1 EB location in my city I can get a refurb in my city for 1/2 price of what the older model costs new. The PSP 2000 Ratchet & Clank bundle along with Rappa can be picked up in my city today and tomorrow for $230, whereas the older model sells for $200 new without any games.
Either way I'm fairly convinced after seeing and holding both models, that a refurb is my best bet. It's also beginning to become clear to me why they refurbs are selling fast here and aren't easy to locate.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 06:38:03 PM »

it's been too long for me to remember which screen protector i used, and i'm sure the packaging is long gone too, but i do remember getting it at a gamestop.  aside from that, the gamestop branded psp accessories are pretty good, imo.  i misplaced my ac adapter for a week and broke down and bought one there.  it was much cheaper than the sony branded one. 

other games worth looking into:

exit - an actiony puzzle game with a unique art style and a large number of levels.
field commander - a modest attempt to duplicate the advance wars style of strategy game
metal gear portable ops - a very nice 3rd person shooter/sneaker.  has one of the coolest wi-fi abilities ever:  you can recruit new soldiers from access points.  i loved this aspect and wish games like pokemon did this as well.
burnout - lots of fun, but imho suffers from the high end racing difficulties that the series is known for.
locoroco.  not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like quirk with your game, this fits the bill.

there's actually a great library of rpg's, srpgs, card based srpg,s and action rpg's on the system, so if you have any interest, you could spend a year playing with all of the great and not-so-great games.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »

The removed the IR port on it and moved some other things around some also. I remember people liking the new speaker placement more.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 07:27:32 PM »

Quote from: KC on September 20, 2007, 05:28:14 PM

I have the silver PSP and just installed the Hori screen protector (I got it from www.decalgirl.com).  I did notice that it is about 1.0 to 1.5 mm too short on length and width, so that there is a very small amount of exposed screen along the edges.  The Hori screen protector fit my old PSP like a charm.  Anyone else notice this?

Oddly enough, the Hori screen protector on the 'standard' PSP is also just slightly too small. How'd they screw up both PSPs like that?

That said, I still highly recommend using them for either the PSP or DS (and cell phone!).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 20, 2007, 01:40:13 PM

Im also getting a PSP soon and have done a lot of research myself.

8ball says spend it somewhere else.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »

You Guys are forgetting the new unit has TV OUT. Which means if you find any UMD's for cheap you can watch them on the big screen....

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 09:37:10 PM »

Ya what type of cable do you need to do the tv out?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 10:45:25 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on September 20, 2007, 09:30:44 PM

You Guys are forgetting the new unit has TV OUT. Which means if you find any UMD's for cheap you can watch them on the big screen....

Can you also output a game's display to your TV?
What type of video signal does it output?
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »

You can play games on your tv but unlike movies they wont be full screen. They have a big black box all around them.

BTW I went to Walmart today and held the DaxPak in my hands. I swear that even though I could see the PSP in the window it felt no heavier than just the box alone. Very light. They also sell a screen protector there and have the usb/media software . Though Id buy that somewhere else as its too high there. Other places like Gamestop its $10. WallyWorld wants $25+

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 20, 2007, 11:13:32 PM

You can play games on your tv but unlike movies they wont be full screen. They have a big black box all around them.

Thanks for the answer, do you how much it's letter boxed, i.e. what resolution it runs in?
My GBPlayer for my gamecube is letter boxed too, but quite honestly it doesn't bother me much at all.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 12:12:24 AM »

Found this online...

"games seemed locked in at their native 480x272 resolution"

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 21, 2007, 12:12:24 AM

Found this online...

If displayed on a 480p display, there wouldn't be much more letter boxing than what occurs when you frame a 480p image within a 720p display. Hmm...not too bad at all, this feature may have sold me on the 2000 model.

Which brings up the next question, what type of output signal is it; composite, s-video, component or HDMI?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 12:50:04 AM by kronovan » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 21, 2007, 12:47:13 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on September 21, 2007, 12:12:24 AM

Found this online...

If displayed on a 480p display, there wouldn't be much more letter boxing than what occurs when you frame a 480p image within a 720p display. Hmm...not too bad at all, this feature may have sold me on the 2000 model.

Which brings up the next question, what type of output signal is it; composite, s-video, component or HDMI?

component
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 01:11:13 AM »

And I believe the TV must have progressive scan: 480p or nuttin'.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 02:03:02 AM »

You can also buy a composite cable set if all you want to play on your TV is movies, music, pictures, etc.  Games won't run on the composite cables, but they are available for those without component input on their TV. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 08:14:55 AM »

I have a new question for the minds here!!!!

I see now that Gamestop has the original for $99 used for a limited time.    Thats a huge difference in price there!   So is the newer system that much better that i should forgo the $99 deal?   The tv out thing is no big deal to me and i probably won't ever use that.   Is there anything else i'm missing beside the slimmer design that i should consider for $100 more?   Can i still use the usb cable to transfer files from the original system like the newer?  For $99 i can get the system, accessories, and a few games compared to that $199 Daxter combo.

Does Gamestop work good with you if you buy a used system and theres dead pixels in it?   

Would buying a used be a good route for that price?  Damn tempting for $99.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

Buy the original PSP. It's the exact same console (but slightly bigger), with the exact same features (yes, you still transfer files the exact same way), short of the TV out (and possible longer battery life if you use the original PSP's battery in it).

And with all the added features available on the console once it's been hacked... $99 is a steal.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 02:13:26 PM »

The other noteable feature on the new PSP other than the TV-out that might make it worthwhile is the caching feature using the extra system RAM.  It hasn't been shown to greatly reduce load times for all previous releases, but it looks like games designed with it in mind might be noticeably faster loading (check out this crisis core comparison video). 

Having said that, for $99 there is nothing bad about the original PSP and I think it's a great deal if you never intend to use the TV-out features. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 03:47:59 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 24, 2007, 02:13:26 PM

The other noteable feature on the new PSP other than the TV-out that might make it worthwhile is the caching feature using the extra system RAM.  It hasn't been shown to greatly reduce load times for all previous releases, but it looks like games designed with it in mind might be noticeably faster loading (check out this crisis core comparison video).   

Or, if you go homebrew instead, you'll get far better loading times by dumping all of your games onto your memory stick. biggrin

And BTW - the loading times for Crisis Core is just insane. What, are gamers gonna get yet another WWF Smackdown (notoriously known to have the absolute longest loading times, well, EVER)? Sad, Square, sad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: