http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Launch Details March 24, $249  (Read 3280 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »

PSP launch details announced today. $249 for a PSP "value pack" that includes the PSP, a 32 MB memory stick, headphones, case, and UMD sampler. Launch date is March 24.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050203/sfth050_1.html

PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) Set to Release on March 24 Across North America
Thursday February 3, 8:08 am ET
Sony Computer Entertainment America to Retail Single SKU PSP Value Pack for $249.99

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Feb. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today the North American launch details for its highly anticipated PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) handheld entertainment system. Available through retail outlets on March 24, the company continues its consumer-centric legacy with the release of the PSP Value Pack for a suggested retail price of $249.99 U.S./$299.99 CND. In addition to the revolutionary PSP hardware, the PSP Value Pack contains an unprecedented added-value package of accessories and entertainment content, including 32 MB Memory Stick Duo(TM), headphones with remote control, battery pack, AC adaptor, soft case and cleaning cloth, movie/music/game video sampler UMD disc including multiple non-interactive game demos, and for the first one million PSP Value Packs shipped, a special UMD video release of the feature film Spider-Man(TM) 2 from Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Sony Computer Entertainment will manufacture one million units for sale in the North American market by the close of its fiscal year ending March 31. This figure is part of the company's total three-million-unit worldwide PSP system shipment estimate within the same time period. PSP released in Japan on December 12, 2004 and is already a hit, with more than 800,000 units shipped, including a 200,000-unit allocation that sold out on day one.

PSP sets a new standard as the first truly integrated portable entertainment system designed to provide consumers with a comprehensive entertainment experience including games, music, movies, communication, and wireless networking. Featuring graphics rendering capabilities comparable to the company's leading in-home console, PlayStation(R)2, PSP brings an unparalleled gaming experience to a portable platform, allowing users to enjoy 3D games, with high-quality, full-motion video, and high-fidelity stereo audio. PSP also allows for digital photo display and supports digital music playback in both MP3 and ATRAC formats.

"PSP will evolve and elevate portable entertainment, giving users the freedom to play full 3D games, watch movies, listen to music and connect wirelessly on their terms, their time and their place," said Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive officer, Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. "More than ever, today's consumer demands access to entertainment outside the home without compromising quality. With more than 100 PSP game titles currently in development worldwide, and the ability to download and listen to digital music and view feature films with breathtaking screen quality, PSP lets users control their entertainment options, all in one package."

PSP features an unmatched 4.3-inch, 16:9 wide screen TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. PSP also comes complete with built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector and diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, enabling users to connect to the Internet and play online via a wireless network.* Up to 16 PSPs in the vicinity can also be connected to each other directly in ad-hoc mode, allowing for wireless head-to-head competition. In addition, wireless capabilities will allow software and data to be downloaded to a PSP and saved onto a Memory Stick Duo.

I'm not sure I'd pay $249 for one given the anemic launch lineup.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 03:46:59 PM »

Seems reasonable to me.

You want enemic - look at Nintendo!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
You want enemic

I personally don't want an enema slywink

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »

Said launch list is 24  titles.  Hardly anemic.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 04:14:09 PM »

The price is in the ballpark. And the copy of Spider-Man 2 is very nice.

I'll be picking mine up Day One.

From the launch lineup, I want:

Lumines
MVP Baseball
NFL Street 2
Ridge Racer
Tiger Woods
Untold Legends (Holy smoke! This looks good!)

and, as soon as they're available:

Hot Shots Golf
and
Mercury

(The EA sports games above will need to have decent early reviews or I will chop them off my list -- they better not be half-hearted pieces of garbage like Tiger Woods DS!)

Overall I am more excited about this launch than any game system I have ever owned!! This is an amazing piece of hardware!!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 04:38:56 PM »

Im disappointed in Devil so I will answer for him.

IN!

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 04:51:33 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/PressReleases/index.php?PRID=1796

There is the complete list of the games on release. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »

Any release RPGs? I am too lazy to look at the list.

OH yeah, this price is fine with me, but I need to see it in action before I purchase.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 06:00:42 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Any release RPGs? I am too lazy to look at the list.

Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment

That would be the RPG of the group.  Early word says it is good, but sometimes previews tend to overgush about things.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 06:43:31 PM »

Y'know, I wouldn't mind seeing some old PSX classics make an appearance on the PSP. 'course, they wouldn't actually be able to take advantage of the widescreen, but I tell ya... If they bundled up, for example, Suikoden 1 & 2, and slapped a pricetag of $39.99, I'd buy it in an instant.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 06:46:34 PM »

Im disappointed in Devil so I will answer for him.

I'm sorry I let you guys down, but I'm probably going to be Pre-IN!

My father actually has a business trip planned for Japan near the end of this month so he should be picking one up for me over there. Don't think there's going to be any difference in systems so why not start a month early and play some Ridge Racer?

Best launch news?

GRETZKY NHL!!!

Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 06:52:08 PM »

The $149 rumors sounded a lot better..but apparently that was just floated out there to kill DS sales, kind of like Sony did to the Dreamcast.

the "added value pack" I guess is supposed to make it appear the PSP is only $150 by itself, but if you can't buy it by itself then that's pretty deceptive marketing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 06:58:55 PM »

Need I remind you all of the button fiasco!?!?!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 07:03:50 PM »

I'm highly interested in Darkstalkers and that Untold Legends game. Although, when I originally announced Darkstalkers was going to be a launch title on the site, why can't Capcom release the game on the standard sytems?

And as far as the price goes... I honestly think it's a bit steep. $250 for the console and a movie I could care less about (as I'd much rather watch it on my TV with surround)? Whoopie. The PS2 is what, $150 now? The DS is the same price, and the GBA SP is $89 in most places.

Ah, yes, and the Square button 'issue'. Wonderful design choice, especially when it was nearly stated that developers should work around the 'issue'.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 07:09:39 PM »

Any newz on whether they fixed that button issue, or is it still a problem for the US release?

From what I heard, it was an underlying circuit board manufacturing defect and they just needed to alter the board, not the whole design.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 07:14:13 PM »

This would probably be the first console tpye system I've ever pre-ordered home ro portable in my life if the button issue hadn't appeared. I can live with the battery life but now seeing how they purposely crippled  a part of the machine to meet some asthetic look as made me stay on hold. I'll wait to see if the hardware gets revised before the US launch.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 07:18:17 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Any newz on whether they fixed that button issue, or is it still a problem for the US release?

From what I heard, it was an underlying circuit board manufacturing defect and they just needed to alter the board, not the whole design.

Not what I herd. They didn't want the machine to be any bigger than a certain size nor make the screen any smaller so they moved the button "detector" or whatever you call it partially off to the side to make it fit. Hence the x button isn't very responsive. Was a deliberate choice on their part it seems. Boggles my mind personally. First and formost thing the machine should be reliable, work exactly as advertised and just plain do its thing. When a company puts "looks" ahead of funcionality I get uneasy.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 08:24:39 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
When a company puts "looks" ahead of funcionality I get uneasy.

You just described all of Sony's products.  :lol:
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 08:58:47 PM »

I know lots of people bash the DS...But after this price(OUCH!) and this button issue(and more important how sony treats this issue) makes me think all of this DS complaining is only target practice for the PSP. Oh, well. I do have a DS,and I`m happy with it so far(M64DS rocks!)and after animal crossing, metroid, viewtiful joe, lost in blue etc. come out I`m only assuming I`ll be even more happy with it(Oh I forgot this month is Warioware DS!).
 That`s not to say I wouldn`t want a PSP after some time. Especially if they lower the price and fix the issues. I`m not exactly thrilled with sony(video game console stuff anyway),and this doesn`t do anything to make `em better in my book.
 Oh, well. I`m sure lots of people will buy them regardless of issues and whatnot.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 01:23:27 AM »

I would love to get a PSP, but I can't justify 249 bucks for a portable game system. Features be-damned.

Especially knowing Sony and their piss-poor QC, Poor functionality choice regarding the buttons and battery life.

The machine is gorgeous, the games look hot, but these things will all get traded in within months of launch for the battery, button malfunctions and because people will realize they just bought a 250 dollar handheld... what the hell is up with that?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 02:17:07 AM »

$249 for the bundle package means $199 for the regular release a little while after.

I can wait... at least until GT4 Mobile gets released.  And this is one item where I will get an extended warranty.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 02:28:39 AM »

The machine is gorgeous, the games look hot, but these things will all get traded in within months of launch for the battery, button malfunctions and because people will realize they just bought a 250 dollar handheld... what the hell is up with that?

Have you seen the game footage?!?!?! I'm far from a Sony Butt-Boy, but to finally be able to play REAL sports games from wherever I want, is HUGE for me. Not to mention the other things this system is alledged to do.

I understand the issues that they might have with this system but I feel that the $100 over the DS price is a VERY good deal.

I'd be shocked if this thing disintegrated in your hands after a month of use.

There was a thread in here from someone who actually already has one and it sounded good to me.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 03:17:15 AM »

Have you seen the game footage?!?!?! I'm far from a Sony Butt-Boy, but to finally be able to play REAL sports games from wherever I want, is HUGE for me. Not to mention the other things this system is alledged to do.

I understand the issues that they might have with this system but I feel that the $100 over the DS price is a VERY good deal.

There was a thread in here from someone who actually already has one and it sounded good to me.

Sure it will be awsome. Especially if shoot is the square button, and damn it all, you just never seem to be able to score  :wink: .
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 05:05:09 AM »

I bet you the first mods that start appearing on the net are ones that move the square button over a bit to line it up with the detector.

If it weren't for the button problem, I would buy it at $250.  Right now, I'm just going to wait for them to fix the damn thing.  By then, it will either be $200 or have a larger selection of games available.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 06:00:12 AM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"

Sure it will be awsome. Especially if shoot is the square button, and damn it all, you just never seem to be able to score  :wink: .

Because I know that if I were a developer for the PSP, I wouldn't do a damn thing to take possible flaws in the square button into account when I designed the control scheme for my game.  Cool
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 02:26:21 PM »

Sure it will be awsome. Especially if shoot is the square button, and damn it all, you just never seem to be able to score

Then it would be perfect for me!!

If you've seen me play ESPN NHL you know that I score less than Lockdown in High School. Tongue

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2005, 05:15:50 PM »

I don't understand why the unit couldn't have been another centimeter or two wider to allow for a #$%ing fucntioning button. Some magic number the designers couldn't go beyond, lest the universe explode or Hell open up?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 05:17:42 PM »

You see Doom 3?  it'd be that.  You just can't go any wider.....its either that or something about the length of the average pants pocket. (like anyone is going to put it there)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 05:44:06 PM »

If you've seen me play ESPN NHL you know that I score less than Lockdown in High School. Tongue

ROFLOL  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !!!!!!

Devil - At least you know where the pass button is! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2005, 05:56:30 PM »

Oh yeah - I can pass the puck around with the best of them. Putting it in the net is another story. 60 shots on net with no goals is pretty much how I play.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2005, 06:52:53 PM »

Oh yeah - I can pass the puck around with the best of them. Putting it in the net is another story. 60 shots on net with no goals is pretty much how I play.

Heh... sounds like me and my brother playing... well, every NHL game after NHL 98 for the PC! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2005, 04:11:11 PM »

I was gonna pre-order one but now I'm gonna hold off for a while.  $250 is a bit steep for a handheld.  

I'm also disappointed in the launch line-up.  There are a lot of titles but not many that interest me.  I was expecting more of the AAA PS titles to be available.
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2005, 04:48:33 PM »

One of my friends owns one now (He bought it when he was hame for the hollidays)  It looks amazingly good....Well at least the jappanese version does.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2005, 10:34:20 PM »

Semaj - Does he have any probelms with it? Buttons, etc.?

Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2005, 11:49:41 PM »

He's been playing it nonstop for about 2 weeks now, no real gripes.  Next time I see him I'll ask him if it's been acting up in any way, the real battery life, etc.  Which should be mondayish,... sooner if he hops online.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2005, 03:03:45 AM »

Cool - Thanks.

Ask him if hitting certain buttons don't work or make the whole thing explode in your hands like what we're led to believe.  :wink:

Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »

He was VERY hesatant to let me touch his game, rat bastage... Not that I blame him per see,.. but from what I did get to do,.. it's a lot like the lynx in style(Layout, heh), or the GBA for that matter.  Doesnt take to long to adjust to the button setup, and they seem to be able to take a fairly decent beating.

The two games I got to check out were Dynasty Warriors (Which you can all assume means yes I got to check out slowdown and whatnot) and Some game thats name eludes me, but it reminds me a lot of Tetris on crack.  YOU have two colors to mess with, and when you make a square shape it becomes solid (Of the same color that is), and at the same time You have a marker/lazer going across the top and its sole job is to delete those squares.  So you sort of rush to drop the shapes to make as many squares as possible.  Was actually quite entertaining for the short time I got to toy with it...

Forgot to ask him the real specs of it, but I asked him whether it was a PS 2 comparable and he went: It's not meant to be a playstation, so no.  Graphics are really nice for a portable though, I'd say better than the PS 1... but Damn I need to spend more time playing... maybe if I bought him some batteries... smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 01:00:48 AM »

Sounds good - Thanks!