http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:09:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Impressions  (Read 1982 times)
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2004, 06:28:46 PM »

Well not from me of course Tongue

Spotted this article on Shacknews last night. Impressive looking unit to say the least. Very stylish and nice big LCD.

Load times seem slow right now which is not a good thing IMO. I guess we'll find out how much of a problem the battery life is going to be for these first units.

How does this work again?
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 06:58:06 PM »

I still have the same reservations about the system as I did months ago. I'm worried by the short battery life, the long load times, the expensive memory cards, and the possible uselessness of the UMD standard for anything but game disks. Does anyone know why Sony decided to go with the UMD standard? Is the machine noticably skinnier than a DVD disk? Does the UMD drive use less energy than a DVD drive? I only ask because this is the unit's biggest short coming as far as I'm concerned, and Sony's own format basically goes against the intention that the machine is a multi-media powerhouse. If it was able to play my own DVDs and CDs, I would be so much more impressed, regardless of load times, mem sticks, and even battery life.

The unit looks cool as hell though, and it actually looks pretty comfortable in a Game Gear-ish sort of way :wink: .

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 07:46:40 PM »

The PSP would be frickin' huge if it could play DVDs/CDs.

Plus, proprietary media = hard to pirate.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »

I REALLY want this thing to succeed.  I can't understand why Nintendo fan boys try to kill it.  

I've seen the first (five?) iterations of Game boys. I see the iteration they had to relaese when suddenly they were facing competition.  Oh yeah, BIG DIFFERENCE.  As well all know, competition among the big boys kicks ass for us gamers.  

With Sony releasing a unit that has my two big wanted features (graphics more on par with current tech than ten year old SNES tech) and a large screen), the bad issues (power, format issues) could be resolved in a generation or so if competition heats up between Nintendo and Sony.  I can only hope.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 07:49:19 PM »

I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on one of these!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 09:08:49 PM »

I really hope the power issue isn't as bad as they say.  I'd even be happy with an uglifying, bulky battery that extends life.  These reports of two hours of power are scaring me, but I guess we'll know a lot more next week when it releases in Japan.

Honestly, these reports of 20 second load times don't bother me much at all.  If that's the price I pay for nearly current graphics, fine.  But the power issue is directly opposed to what a handheld is supposed to be about.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 10:56:28 PM »

Why would the PSP be so big with a DVD drive in it? Because of a disk's real estate, or because of the necessary size of the drive? Cause I tells ya, I'd love a DVD enabled PSP if it had the face size of a DVD case and the depth of a portable CD player. Grab a DVD case (or video game case) and hold it sideways - that would be a completely acceptable unit to lug around in my opinion.

I'm sure Sony considered putting a DVD drive in the sucker, and felt that the UMD format better suited the PSP. I just wish I knew how the alternative would have wound up.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 11:05:13 PM »

A DVD is also a bigger disk, requiring more energy to spin and keep spinning, and thus using up more battery life.

Honestly though, I'm not concerned about it at all.  If it had four hours of life, that would be about double the amount of time that I can stand holding and staring at one of those things in one sitting.  I don't know how you people do it.  I don't see 20 seconds being a bad loading time in the least.  Anyone ever play Half-Life 2?  

I really want one just because I'm completely seduced by the thing's design nearly as much as I'm repulsed by the DS's.  But, as with the DS, the deciding factor will be the games.  I consider the DS library to be absolute garbage so far, but as soon as Advance Wars hits I will have to own one.  I haven't seen anything that great in the PSP launch lineup, though the Armored Core game does look very nice.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 11:25:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Why would the PSP be so big with a DVD drive in it? Because of a disk's real estate, or because of the necessary size of the drive? Cause I tells ya, I'd love a DVD enabled PSP if it had the face size of a DVD case and the depth of a portable CD player. Grab a DVD case (or video game case) and hold it sideways - that would be a completely acceptable unit to lug around in my opinion.

I'm sure Sony considered putting a DVD drive in the sucker, and felt that the UMD format better suited the PSP. I just wish I knew how the alternative would have wound up.

Basically, the new-model PS2 is about as small as it's going to get at this point for a DVD-based system.  Add in the necessary screen and controls too, and you have an absolutely gargantuan "handheld" system.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2004, 11:36:40 PM »

I'm holding off for the battery life reports.  3-6 hours just isn't going to cut it for me.  I really like the system though.  Nice horizontal layout (hello orignal GBA!), big screen and man-sized controls.  Who all's taking the plung around here?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 12:03:32 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Basically, the new-model PS2 is about as small as it's going to get at this point for a DVD-based system.  Add in the necessary screen and controls too, and you have an absolutely gargantuan "handheld" system.

Check out the portable PS2... yah a bit too big biggrin you'll notice the DVD drive is next to nothing tho

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 01:04:46 AM »

Honestly though, I'm not concerned about it at all. If it had four hours of life, that would be about double the amount of time that I can stand holding and staring at one of those things in one sitting. I don't know how you people do it. I don't see 20 seconds being a bad loading time in the least. Anyone ever play Half-Life 2?

I think it comes down to whether you think a different philosophy applies for a portable system.

A portable system and games hould be designed to easily accomodate the wildly varying play times- anything from a minute or two to thirty minutes or more.  If you are only going to be playing for a few mintues, long load times can become an annoyance real fast.  Same applies to save systems- being able to save on the fly or having save points at really short intervals is important too.  Can you imagine getting half way through one of FF7's 30 minute cutscenes when you have to turn the unit off?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 10:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I'm holding off for the battery life reports.  3-6 hours just isn't going to cut it for me.  I really like the system though.  Nice horizontal layout (hello orignal GBA!), big screen and man-sized controls.  Who all's taking the plung around here?

Actually, hello game gear! The true handheld system which was ahead of its time. Far ahead.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 10:26:56 PM »

Honestly though, I'm not concerned about it at all. If it had four hours of life, that would be about double the amount of time that I can stand holding and staring at one of those things in one sitting. I don't know how you people do it. I don't see 20 seconds being a bad loading time in the least. Anyone ever play Half-Life 2?

Four hours may be double how long I can play it, but that isnt always what makes the battery life nice. For instance, I was in europe a week or so ago, and I had to travel long times and long distances without time to sit down with an outlet. If I did find an outlet my converter wouldnt always fit, so it was nice to not have to plug it in all the time. I could go for days without plugging it in. This doesnt sound possible for the PSP. I need to be able to go long times between charges to make it really worth it. I am sure many people would agree with this.

Sleek system though, and I hope it does well also. I love the size of the screen, I just hope it comes in more finished then what we are seeing now. That metallic silverish color would suckl for fingerprints. I wouldnt like ti one bit.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 02:55:47 AM »

The PSP value pack seems to include a battery pack for the PSP.  Can we assume that that is an external battery that extends the playtime of the PSP?

From IGN:

PSP Battery Pack
Model: PSP-110
Price: 4800 yen (5040 yen with tax)
Specs: 3.6V/1800mAh
Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 08:30:01 PM »

It may be too soon for hockey fans to panic, but what happened to Gretzky?

It was listed as a launch title, but now it's not even showing up as a PSP release.

Man, I was looking forward to WiFi hockey.   frown

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 01:35:32 AM »

A DVD is also a bigger disk, requiring more energy to spin and keep spinning, and thus using up more battery life. <<<<

This is not true. An electric motor will spin either, and when it is running it uses exactly the same amount of power. In actuality once the bigger disk was spinning it would have more inertia and would stay spinning longer than a smaller disk would. Doesn't have anything to do with the energy required.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 02:27:54 AM »

Wow...just looked up Sony PSPs on eBay...many are in the $500-600+ range for ones ending soon.  That's a lot of cash to unload for something you may not get by Christmas if it has to ship from Japan.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: