http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP -- how much is this thing gonna cost?  (Read 1018 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:10:48 PM »

I can't find any real info on this thing.

EBGames doesn't have the system even listed.    I can't find an estimated price....

I can't even find when they think it will be released in the US... except for the fact that all the PSP games on Ebgames.com have release dates of December 29th (which seems like they are just guestimating based on that).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:29:59 PM »

None of that info has been announced.  There have been constant rumors of delays and I don't even think the Japanese launch date has been totally nailed down.  Sony may end up holding it in the US for next holiday season to take some wind out of the Xbox 2 launch.

As for prices- again nothing has been announced.  Speculation has placed it at $300-350 but that's based on the Japanese market which has shown a willingness to play more money for such things than the Western market.  I think Sony is waiting to see how well the DS is received and how well the PSP does in focus testing before setting a price.  They may end up having to price it at $250 here just to make it viable and eat some of the money on each unit sold the way MS does with Xbox.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 06:29:25 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
None of that info has been announced.  There have been constant rumors of delays and I don't even think the Japanese launch date has been totally nailed down.  Sony may end up holding it in the US for next holiday season to take some wind out of the Xbox 2 launch.

As for prices- again nothing has been announced.  Speculation has placed it at $300-350 but that's based on the Japanese market which has shown a willingness to play more money for such things than the Western market.  I think Sony is waiting to see how well the DS is received and how well the PSP does in focus testing before setting a price.  They may end up having to price it at $250 here just to make it viable and eat some of the money on each unit sold the way MS does with Xbox.

It's true. So far everything is just speculation. However IIRC Sony has said that they want to price the PSP so they will be able to make a profit off the hardware and not lose money like the main consoles do. Also isn't the disc format they are using proprietary as well? If so that further increases costs in the short term until manufacturing is streamlined. Ah looks like it is (pulled from IGN):
The PSP uses a proprietary Sony disc called the UMD, or Universal Media Disc. Capable of storing up to 1.8GB of data (a CD holds 0.650GB, a DVD holds 4.7GB), the UMD is a disc format enclosed in a small cartridge (similar to the Sony Mini-Disc format.)

and
No, the UMD cannot be written to. Only Sony will be able to create UMD media -- the company has no plans to make external UMD writers devices, and even third-party publishers will not be able to create their own discs without Sony's ability to press the data to UMD.

So if Sony is going to be the lone manufacturer of the discs they alone would be the bottleneck.

How does this work again?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 06:40:29 PM »

I know the speculation in $300+, but honestly if this thing is over $200 they are at least not getting my sale at launch.  And I'm pretty excited about it as well.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 07:02:34 PM »

I'm also looking forward to it but there is no way in hell I'm paying $300 to $350 for it...especially at launch.  I guess I've gotten spoiled paying $100 or less for the GBA but the fact I paid less than $200 for both my XBox and PS2 is also a factor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: