http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:55:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP -- How long do you charge this thing first time out?  (Read 1598 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2005, 12:26:47 PM »

Title says it all -- how long do we charge it before we should crank it up?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:46:15 PM »

It says 2.5 hours for a full charge.  Real world application from what I've seen over the last week is that it is more like an hour to an hour and 15.  You should charge it until that orange light on the side goes out so you don't begin the horrible cycle of developing a memory on the battery. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 02:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
You should charge it until that orange light on the side goes out so you don't begin the horrible cycle of developing a memory on the battery. smile

Lithium-Ion batteries aren't supposed to have memory issues like other rechargeables. Part of why they cost so much... Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »

*Smacks forhead*  Oh yea...forgot.  Still, it didn't take long for mine to charge up.  smile

On a related note, I've let mine run movies and I do get roughly 3.5 hours -> 4 hours out of it and roughly 4-5 hours for games depending on intensity. (Ridge Racer requires a lot more streaming for audio and voice than something like Mercury)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »

I played it for about an hour this morning right out of the box without charging it.
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 04:36:07 PM »

The battery memory effect is negligble on the lithium ion batteries. Nickel cadium was really bad, and Nickel hydride in between.

Keep those puppies charged.  smile

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 11:30:36 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
*Smacks forhead*  Oh yea...forgot.  Still, it didn't take long for mine to charge up.  smile

On a related note, I've let mine run movies and I do get roughly 3.5 hours -> 4 hours out of it and roughly 4-5 hours for games depending on intensity. (Ridge Racer requires a lot more streaming for audio and voice than something like Mercury)

Please tell it's not that bad... I knew that it would have a short battery life, but... sheesh.. 4-5 hours? I'm spoiled by the SP where I can play upto four weeks of an hour or so everyday without a recharge.

Do you guys think that they'll improve the battery with subsequent hardware versions?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:56:27 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Please tell it's not that bad... I knew that it would have a short battery life, but... sheesh.. 4-5 hours? I'm spoiled by the SP where I can play upto four weeks of an hour or so everyday without a recharge.

Do you guys think that they'll improve the battery with subsequent hardware versions?

The SP doesn't have any motors in it, that's the advantage of a cartridge based portable. I'm sure the larger screen size takes more juice as well, but the bluk of the power sucking is likely the UMD Drive.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 01:05:32 AM »

I'm guessing the battery is pretty slick overall to get that much time.  The PSP is basically a PS2, running a monitor and speakers as well.  To get 4 hours seems pretty nice to me.  The PSP is substantially more powerful then the Gameboys, so it drains a lot more power.  I don't mind, since I doubt I'll play on the road anyway for that long.  Nintendo has always made the tradeoff for longer battery life at the expense of the rest of the system, not even offering backlights for a while.  Just a different philosophy.  Nintendo could have went the way Sony has, and might in the future if the PSP takes off.  

I bet down the road that developers will get smarter with battery usage, and games will last longer.  I wouldn't be surprised to if newer higher capacity batteries are offered, at least third party ones, as technology evolves.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 01:23:52 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

I doubt hardware revisions.  It will probably be a major factor in game design, though.  Games that constantly spin the disk on the PS2 will likely kill the PSPs battery in short order.  The GTA PSP game is rumored to be mission-based vice free roaming due to battery concessions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: