http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 10:00:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Homebrew. What are the must haves?  (Read 896 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2008, 02:49:11 AM »

I will be modding a PSP soon, and am wondering what are the must have homebrew apps?

Not talking about piracy, just apps like media players, etc.

"Goonies never say die"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »

Well, to be blunt, the best part of modifying your console is the ability to put all of your games onto a memory stick (or get the adapter that allows you to use MicroSD cards for a LOT cheaper). Next to no loading times (or at least heavily reduced) is absolutely fantastic.

Oddly enough, I was never really into the homebrew scene with the PSP. Short of emulators, anyway.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »

Yeah.  I can't thiink of any really great homebrew apps.  I have emulators for the old SNES, and PSOne games, and games ripped from UMD so I don't have to carry a bunch of them with me.  Other than that there really isn't a lot I have seen.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »

a few i have tried.

psptube - youtube videos on psp,
pmp mod - support for pmp videos (smaller video files, better compression)
pmp vlc - still in development, but it will bring a known media player with lots of media support.
XBMC Remote Music Interface - control an xbox media center with your psp.
psp maps.  cache google maps on your psp to use away from net access.
ir shell.  Control your infrared based electronics (Phat-only), multitask between UMD games and/or homebrew, listen to mp3’s while in game, snap screen shots, etc. 
digiplay - flash file player
pspvnc - control vnc enabled pc's with your psp.

emulators - s/nes/n64/gba, genesis/sega cd/game gear, mame, scumm

agreed that the best use is to copy your umd's to the memory stick and to have emulation on the go.  it's dead simple with m33 cfw.  set your iso mode to umd, connect to the pc, and copy the iso.  disconnect, reset iso mode to ms, connect and copy back.  voila.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »

The best part is how small some of the UMD games get with compression. While the UMDs have a maximum capacity of around 1.5GB, a lot of games are only a couple hundred megs (if even!) when compressed. And I've yet to see any increased loading or slowdown with compression.

There's nothing quite like having a half dozen games (or more) with you on the go.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »

On that note, I've been thinking about getting a PSP as well for the handful of strategy games I want to play, and I'd be really interested in the emulation scene.  How are the emulators in general?

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »

I would also recommend Bookr - to be able to read .txt and .pdf files on PSP. Nowadays, I am using my psp for reading as much as I use it for gaming.
T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on June 20, 2008, 06:02:09 PM

I would also recommend Bookr - to be able to read .txt and .pdf files on PSP. Nowadays, I am using my psp for reading as much as I use it for gaming.

I'll second bookr, it's the only home brew I have loaded and it's great.  Most .lit files can be converted to txt, so you can read anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: