http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Generations of Chaos....Ummm  (Read 783 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:19:54 AM »

I saw it at EB today for $19.95 used so I picked it up.  I loved Disgaea and and to some degree Phantom Brave.  So I fire it up tonight............and I am clueless so far. The manual is pretty useless and I feel kind of lost.

Anybody play this game? Did I waste $20?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:38:55 AM »

I'd give it a shot for $20.  I hope my EB has it for that.  I sure wasn't looking to drop $40 on it.  Same with PopoLoCrois.
There is another game that came out when VP did that I thought about, but again the price turned me off.  An NIS title, if I recall.
Who says the PSP has no games?

Sorry I don't have an answer.  Try GameFAQs (take a shower when you are done).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 02:50:01 AM »

For some reason that keeps popping into my mind as being referenced as one of the worst games on PSP and also one of the worst games ever.  I could be confused, though.  I have never played it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:50:35 AM »

do a forum search here - from what i remember people were saying the game was decent and very deep - however the documentation SUCKED.  so i think there was a "self help" thread here because the game itself failed to mention such mundane things as like, how you play.

i think the consensus was if you were willing to put in the time, it was a very good game
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:06:20 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 23, 2006, 02:50:01 AM

For some reason that keeps popping into my mind as being referenced as one of the worst games on PSP and also one of the worst games ever.  I could be confused, though.  I have never played it.

Gamerankings ranks it at 60%. http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928802.asp

Gamespot 6.6 :
The Good: Dozens of unique commanders to recruit; multifaceted strategy blends combat, politics, and economics; ten different campaigns and a random generator to keep you playing.
The Bad: Steep learning curve requires a lot of patience to overcome; frequent load times make the game stutter and lag constantly; confusing interface often makes it a chore to issue commands and check stats.

IGN 6.7:
Closing Comments
Generation of Chaos has a bunch of cool ideas, but a bulk of the appeal lies buried underneath a confusing interface and a poorly designed menu system. There is, however, a good amount of depth for those willing to tough it out. But for those looking for a game along the lines of Final Fantasy Tactics, this really isn’t it. Those looking for a deep strategy RPG to take on trips will find something to like in here, provided they understand what they’re getting into.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »

I tried to get into this awhile back.  I really did.  Too little documentation even with a nifty little strategy guide was too frustrating and time consuming for me.  I ended up trading it in.

Here's a nice thread about it from awhile back.  Down towards the bottom there's a link to a decent .pdf strategy guide :

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,11648.0.html

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 05:59:23 AM »

It was an enjoyable game that took some diligence to understand. The manual was absolutely atrocious, and the developers decided against offering any type of true tutorial.  I paid full price, put in 20 hours or so, and then got burned out.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:53:58 PM »

If you can over come the learning curve there is a great game in there. It's not super difficult once you learn what all the buttons do. I still play it and enjoy it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on August 23, 2006, 04:40:00 AM

I tried to get into this awhile back.  I really did.  Too little documentation even with a nifty little strategy guide was too frustrating and time consuming for me.  I ended up trading it in.

Here's a nice thread about it from awhile back.  Down towards the bottom there's a link to a decent .pdf strategy guide :

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,11648.0.html

That strategy guide was exactly what I was looking for.  I am going to play some more tonight and see if it clicks.  Thanks for all of the feedback.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »

I tried it.  For a day.  Promptly returned it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 23, 2006, 04:01:46 PM

I tried it.  For a day.  Promptly returned it.

Honestly I am beginning to wonder if you play ANY game for more than a day anymore.  Besides male cheerleader music games and Animal Crossing your track record has been pretty spotty lately.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 10:40:28 PM »

I might point out that Keith's review of the title is pretty much in line with Gamerankings:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=555

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: