http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 06:51:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP First Impressions!  (Read 5459 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2005, 12:57:52 PM »

Ok, here are my impressions of the unit and 8 launch games I picked up.

The PSP:

Well what to say that hasn't already been said...I think I am in love. This thing is the sexiest handheld I have ever seen. My iPOD which I used to think was pretty good looking now just looks so blah. As I and many others have said, the screen is a thing of beauty. Going from playing on the DS to this is just incredible. The resolution and color quality is light-years ahead of the DS/GBA...not to mention the size of the screen. The fact that it is a widescreen display is just the icing on the cake. It really is a thing of beauty.

Negatives? Well it is damn easy to get fingerprints on the screen and unit itself. Also, the analog stick is hard to use in racing games like Wipeout and Ridge Racer. I eventually just used the D-PAD and it worked great. Strangely enough, I found the analog stick worked great for me in NFL Street 2 and didn't touch the D-PAD...maybe I am getting better with it the more I play.

Now, onto the games!

I will give some brief positives and negatives about each of the launch games that I have played...except Metal Gear Acid, since I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I will also rank them from my least favorite to my favorite.

#7 Dynasty Warriors

+ Looks much like the console version
+ Lots of good action

- Some slowdown
- some levels are WAY too short

#6 Wipeout Pure

+ Looks amazing
+ Can download new tracks!

- very hard to control using the analog stick
- hard to control using the d-pad as well (might need more time to get used to the controls, once I do, this game will rank higher)

#5 Untold Legends

+ Very nice graphics
+ If you liked Champions of Norath or BG:DA you will love this!

- The storyline sucks, it's just text, no voiceovers or movies
- Can get repetitive after awhile

#4 Darkstalkers

+ Amazing 2D artwork
+ Just as fun as I remember from the Dreamcast!

- same game as I remember from the Dreamcast
- controls can be kind of wonky, but they are not horrible

#3 Ridge Racer

+ Great looking game that controls well
+ lots of tracks/cars, has the best tracks from all the rest of the ridge racer games!

- Not as great looking as I thought it would be

#2 Lumines

+ Great presentation
+ very addicting, the best puzzle game since Tetris

- can take a long time to unlock new skins
- my wife is addicted to it, so my play time just took a major hit  :wink:

and my shocker for a #1 game....

#1 NFL Street 2 Unleashed

+ Looks almost identical to the PS2 version
+ Plays briliantly, lots of fun, lots of minigames

- Costs $49.99
- hands can get sore after playing for a long period of time, but quite honestly my hands were much worse after playing with my GBA for only a few minutes since the GBA was made for small hands and I have larger hands.

Out of all the games, I have had the most fun with NFL Street 2. I never played it on the consoles, so it was a new experience for me. I love it! The graphics are fantastic and the game plays great.

Also, all the games I got were fun, so it's not like the #7 game was horrid or anything.

Hope everyone enjoyed my little mini-review of the system and games. Happy gaming!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2005, 02:31:58 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
#3 Ridge Racer

+ Great looking game that controls well
+ lots of tracks/cars, has the best tracks from all the rest of the ridge racer games!

- Not as great looking as I thought it would be

Hmm, since some tracks are from the PS1 and the early PS2 game, it may explain why the graphics aren't up to par.  I bet they updated it, but how much?

I've finally opened the Pro Tour.  The competition is finally getting stiff.

To think that GT4 Mobile will look BETTER than this.  I can't wait.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2005, 02:38:13 PM »

Quote from: "Flojomojo"
I only have Wipeout, but I found that the analog nubbin hurts my hands.  The digital control is perfectly adequate, though.

Try holding the PSP with the fingertips of the left hand, rather than with your palm. This made using the analog stick completely comfortable for me. I much prefer it to the digital pad for both Wipeout and Ridge Racer now.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I've got a complaint about the UMD "cartridges"-

Whose bright idea was it to orient the exposed part of the disk directly under where you put your finger if you pop it out of its holder?

I had the same thought myself.  Had they located the window at the bottom of the cartridge, I'd be touching the disc itself 100% less.  Or if they had one of those sliding things to cover up the disc, the way the 3.5" used to..that would have been better.

I have to be very very careful when I'm swapping cartridges, or inevitably my fingers go right to the exposed area.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2005, 07:44:50 PM »

Great impressions Hetzy!!! Glad you are enjoying it. I am so tempted to get one!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2005, 08:53:57 PM »

So I think I bought the last PSP in San Diego today.

Screen is as brilliant as advertised, but I have 7-8 dead pixels :-(  They are just barely noticable, but I'm sure they'll start to bug me more the longer I have it.  I can't imagine waiting 2 weeks to get a new one though...  I still haven't cracked open my one game (Wipeout - see my other thread), but so far it looks great!

Funny story - I picked it up on the way to my 2yr old's haircut, so I was pulling it out of the packaging in the salon's waiting room when another guy who had just bought one pulled his out of the package as well.  We both laughed at the fact that nether of us had a charged up PSP to enjoy and chatted for a bit, when we started talking about the DS.  I pulled mine out since I had it along, and lo and behold the guy pulled one out of his wife's purse.

So here we were, two guys with our brand new uncharged PSPs sitting in a hair salon playing Urban GT on our DS smile

Edit: Oh, and anyone else have any THUG 2 impressions?  I'm very tempted to go back and pick it up as my second game...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »

Hetz rules!!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2005, 09:44:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
So I think I bought the last PSP in San Diego today.

Screen is as brilliant as advertised, but I have 7-8 dead pixels :-(  They are just barely noticable, but I'm sure they'll start to bug me more the longer I have it.  I can't imagine waiting 2 weeks to get a new one though...  I still haven't cracked open my one game (Wipeout - see my other thread), but so far it looks great!

Funny story - I picked it up on the way to my 2yr old's haircut, so I was pulling it out of the packaging in the salon's waiting room when another guy who had just bought one pulled his out of the package as well.  We both laughed at the fact that nether of us had a charged up PSP to enjoy and chatted for a bit, when we started talking about the DS.  I pulled mine out since I had it along, and lo and behold the guy pulled one out of his wife's purse.

So here we were, two guys with our brand new uncharged PSPs sitting in a hair salon playing Urban GT on our DS smile

Edit: Oh, and anyone else have any THUG 2 impressions?  I'm very tempted to go back and pick it up as my second game...

Didn't your PSP come with a bit of initial charge?  Mine came with enough to watch at least 30 mins of Spiderman 2.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2005, 01:41:29 AM »

Did it?  I didn't even bother to try turning it on... man, wish I would have known that :-)

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2005, 01:48:35 AM »

Did it? I didn't even bother to try turning it on... man, wish I would have known that

Mine didn't unfortunately, but I was home so I plugged it in.  Hardware is pretty darn impressive.  Metal Gear Acid looks like it is going to be great.  Two maps in and I love it.  Wipeout is fun until my thumb cramps.  I wish it had a career mode , but still good.  Not sure if I'll open Lumines yet.

Playing Metal Gear Acid, I was struck by the realization that this may be the first handheld I actually buy a lot of games for.  The graphics are good enough that I don't miss the PS2/XBox.  The GBA had some great games like Advance Wars, but I never really played them at home when I could fire up a console/PC game.  The PSP may change that.

I put a bunch of photos on the PSP.  They look great.  One excellent use is that tomorrow on Easter I'll use the PSP as a slideshow for my 90 year old Grandmother to see (digital) pictures of the family I've taken.  I love the fact that the PSP is so incredibly versatile.  Amazing device.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2005, 02:02:41 AM »

I'm a little concerned that the games aren't necessarily portable friendly enough and that could hurt the longterm viability of the PSP.

Take Ridge Racer and Wipeout for example- both require skipping opening movies, a title screen, loading profiles, etc before you get into a race.  While loading times themselves are perfectly acceptable for both games, IMO it takes too long to get to actual gameplay.  This is fine for a home console, but I think when you are designing a product for someone to be able to play on a 10 minute bus ride home, a third of that time shouldn't be spent playing with the interface.

I haven't played Untold Legends or Tiger Woods but both are also getting complaints about long initial loads.  Again, thats fine for home, but I think it should be a priority for developers to make it as quick and easy as possible to start and load a game.  

This also translates to save states.   Can anyone comment on whether Untold Legends has save anywhere?  Being able to save and shutdown rapidly would be another concern I would have wrt portability.

I haven't heard much about this yet but I suspect most of us I playing the games at home for now.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2005, 02:35:29 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I'm a little concerned that the games aren't necessarily portable friendly enough and that could hurt the longterm viability of the PSP.

The key to this situation is the use of Sleep mode.  Being able to shut down the system at ANY time and immediately resume later is awesome.  Sure it takes a bit to get into the game initially, but if you just use sleep from then on, you're good to go.  (Except for changing games, of course..)
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2005, 02:48:01 AM »

The key to this situation is the use of Sleep mode.

I discovered this today.  Cool feature.  Although, how much does sleep mode drain the battery?  I could read the manual of course, but easier to ask here smile.

Also, if I have 20 minutes to play a game, then I don't mind the 1 minute on time.  If I have only a couple minutes and the wait time is to long, then I wouldn't play the game, or the GBA either most likely.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2005, 03:11:45 AM »

Quote from: "Vesper"

The key to this situation is the use of Sleep mode.  Being able to shut down the system at ANY time and immediately resume later is awesome.  Sure it takes a bit to get into the game initially, but if you just use sleep from then on, you're good to go.  (Except for changing games, of course..)

Has anyone tested this out or know of a site that has?  If its pretty much indefinite then thats great.  

Quote from: "Scott"
If I have only a couple minutes and the wait time is to long, then I wouldn't play the game, or the GBA either most likely.

This is one of the areas the GBA excels in IMO.  I can generally be into a game in a matter of seconds.  Of course the cartridge based medium really helps in that case.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2005, 07:11:43 AM »

I couldn't stand it anymore today and picked one up today.  I have one stuck pixel in the lower left.  I'm going to get it fixed soon.  I picked up Tiger Woods and it's great.  The only complaint I have is that the load times are a little long.  I'm going tomorrow to trade a bunch of older games in and pick up some accessories and another game (either Wipeout or Lumines).  It's too bad Untold Legends sounds so mediocre.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2005, 01:11:49 PM »

Arrgh.  Gretzky just corrupted all of its saved data on me with the exception of my options settings.

So my season is gone.  Rosters are gone.  Gretzky challenge progress is gone.  User statistics are gone.  I tried replacing the previous saved data, and when that didn't work, tried a new data save..again, no dice.

I have no idea why this happened or what triggered it.  I finished up a season game (winning 5-4, and getting my first hat trick), and it just wouldn't save.

But hey, at least it remembered how loud I like to have the menu music :roll:

I was worried that my whole memory stick went bad, but the data for the other games I have (Lumines, Wipeout) is still there and working fine.

Man, I'm so frustrated right now.

- Don

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2005, 01:12:07 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Well its official. The PSP is Doomed. Sorry guys. I bought one. As some of you may know, I'm a curse. If I buy a system at launch, its doomed. Atari 7800, Colecovision (via the Adam), Turbografx 16, Atari Lynx, Game Gear, Sega Master system Jaguar, 3DO, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast. Now with this past console generation, I just wonded my victims. I won an Xbox via Taco bell and I bought a Gamecube a year after launch. So the effect is lessened. However the PSP is taking the full brunt of my curse. Will it last? Only time will tell.

For the record, the PSP has no dead pixels, even bright screen, and I bought Lumines and Ridge Racer.

See, al shall yield to my curse!
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/26/2313238&tid=212&tid=207

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2005, 01:48:13 AM »

I picked mine up at Toys R Us on Day 2, and they only had two in stock.  The Target, Best Buy, EBGames, and Gamestop by my house were all sold out, but the WalMart had a bunch of copies as well.

I think one of the biggest reasons has been the lack of advertising.  While us hardcore gaming folk have known about the PSP launch for a while, there is almost no exposure for the casual buyers that make up the majority of sales.  I had two friends of mine (who are regular gamers) who had absolutely no clue that the PSP launched this week, and scrambled to try and find copies for themselves.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2005, 03:15:35 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
I picked mine up at Toys R Us on Day 2, and they only had two in stock.  The Target, Best Buy, EBGames, and Gamestop by my house were all sold out, but the WalMart had a bunch of copies as well.

I think one of the biggest reasons has been the lack of advertising.  While us hardcore gaming folk have known about the PSP launch for a while, there is almost no exposure for the casual buyers that make up the majority of sales.  I had two friends of mine (who are regular gamers) who had absolutely no clue that the PSP launched this week, and scrambled to try and find copies for themselves.

I would hazard a guess that if sales dont pick up soon we will see a rapid price drop around the time of E3
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2005, 06:59:19 PM »

I finally caught a PSP commercial. Boy, was it horrible. A hip-hoppy one where a guy morphs into many different creatures. It made little sense and certainly didn't promote the PSP as a gaming or media machine.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2005, 08:18:08 PM »

Something handy I didn't know until I read the manual- holding the musical note button will mute the sound.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2005, 08:26:58 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
Arrgh.  Gretzky just corrupted all of its saved data on me with the exception of my options settings.

So my season is gone.  Rosters are gone.  Gretzky challenge progress is gone.  User statistics are gone.  I tried replacing the previous saved data, and when that didn't work, tried a new data save..again, no dice.

I have no idea why this happened or what triggered it.  I finished up a season game (winning 5-4, and getting my first hat trick), and it just wouldn't save.

But hey, at least it remembered how loud I like to have the menu music :roll:

I was worried that my whole memory stick went bad, but the data for the other games I have (Lumines, Wipeout) is still there and working fine.

Man, I'm so frustrated right now.

- Don

Anyone else see this at all? Or anything like it?
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2005, 11:57:26 PM »

I've been lurking a bunch of other PSP-related boards, and haven't seen anyone else with a complaint in this regard as far as Gretzky goes (actually, finding any talk regarding Gretzky PSP seems to be a challenge in itself).

I've seen a couple of reports of corrupted data, but it doesn't seem confined to a specific title.

For myself, I've been playing Lumines and Wipeout exclusively since the data corruption problem, mainly out of disdain.  But I think I should really log more time on Gretzky, at least to figure out if it's a repeatable issue, and thus warrants an exchange.

- Don

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »

If you can connect your PSP to your computer you can backup your game saves.   I had do that to get video to work on it.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2005, 09:33:48 PM »

I just had to pipe up that I passed by a PSP playing Spider-Man 2, and it's gorgeous. I'm not sold on the price point or the games, but man, that unit really is impressive. Just beautiful.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2005, 07:01:12 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
For myself, I've been playing Lumines and Wipeout exclusively since the data corruption problem, mainly out of disdain.  But I think I should really log more time on Gretzky, at least to figure out if it's a repeatable issue, and thus warrants an exchange.

- Don

After another dozen or so games of Gretzky, still no problems.  Maybe it was a freak thing.

- Don

Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2005, 08:30:29 PM »

Just picked up Metal Gear Acid and a 512 meg duo stick. This makes a total of $200 I've spent on the PSP so far. With Mercury and an UMD version of Hellboy coming up, this is going to be an expensive month.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2005, 08:36:28 PM »

Get back to us with Metal Gear Ac!d impressions biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: