http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 07:16:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Firmware question  (Read 603 times)
Americanidle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:30:42 PM »

I recently picked up a PSP package from Ebay for my son's birthday (can't go wrong with a present you can play yourself too....). It came with 2.71 firmware and I saw that 2.80 was out so I downloaded it and followed the directions and somehow bricked the psp even though the process seemed to go through right. Luckily the guy I bought it from was able to return it to EB and just sent me a replacement. Since that process now scares me, my question is if the upgrade is needed at all. I saw the listing of what was new to 2.80 but it didn't mean anything to me. Do you guys upgrade with every release?
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:56 PM »

Honestly, I only grab the 'big updates' (web browser, new video playback format, etc).  I hardly use my PSP aside from playing MLB 06 and Tekken, so new small features aren't a big deal to me.  When Opera for the DS comes out, that'll probably be the last gasp for me using the PSP as anything other than a game/movie player.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:37:20 PM »

You're going to get varying answers from people on this.  Some never upgrade (and in fact some have downgraded to 1.5 for homebrew or pirating purposes) and others upgrade.  I always upgrade when the new one comes out because it usually adds at least one feature that I would like to have.  This time, for 2.8, it was for video RSS feeds.  I think the next firmware will probably enable the PS catalog download stuff, so I will definitely want that.

Tough luck on the bricking, though.  I have upgraded a bunch of times and never had the problem.  I even did a downgrader back a long time ago, just to try out some homebrew stuff and even that went fine.  If you are going to upgrade again, I would suggest deleting the download from your memory stick and try downloading it again, just in case it was corrupted.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:42:41 PM »

Regarding video RSS feeds...  and pardon my ignorance...  why is that a feature that you would want?  What are some good video RSS feeds?

xbox live: nude rick james
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:55:40 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 23, 2006, 01:37:20 PM

You're going to get varying answers from people on this.  Some never upgrade (and in fact some have downgraded to 1.5 for homebrew or pirating purposes) and others upgrade.

I'm firmly in the camp of never upgrading and wait for the hacker groups to release a way to play the newer firmware on the older 1.5 console (currently you can run 2.71 on 1.5 firmware). Especially as it allows you to do things that Sony should've allowed in the first place. That and there's never any features on the new BIOSs that interest me in the slightest.

Unfortunately, the number of consoles out there new/used that are of a firmware that's downgradable (especially with the PSP's version 2 model that'll stop you from downgrading to 1.5 alltogether) are shrinking. But a 1.5 PSP is a sight to behold. It's like a modified Xbox in all the things (legal and not legal) it can do beyond a standard console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 01:56:35 PM »

I've only upgraded to play a game that required it, in which case it comes on the UMD

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »

Quote from: Clay on August 23, 2006, 01:42:41 PM

Regarding video RSS feeds...  and pardon my ignorance...  why is that a feature that you would want?  What are some good video RSS feeds?

There are a few video podcasts I watch (Diggnation, Frederator, etc.) and I choose to watch them on the PSP.  The RSS feed makes it so I can easily download the podcast to my PSP wirelessly.  I have a job where I travel, so it's good for things like downloading at a hotel as well.  Will be better if they ever support streaming video via RSS so that you don't even have to download it, since video podcasts tend to be big).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: