http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:04:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Firmware 2.71 now cracked...  (Read 1290 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2006, 04:09:03 AM »

Now people with firmware version 2.71 can downgrade to 1.5 and enjoy the wild world of homebrew.  Here is a link:  http://pspupdates.qj.net/2-71-PSP-s-say-Goodbye-Downgrader-Released-/pg/49/aid/63896.  Pretty awesome news for those that upgraded.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 04:13:42 AM »

THAT'S AWESOME!!  HOORAY!!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 05:40:50 AM »

I might give it a try when I have a lot of free time on my hands.  Mostly for the wow factor since I don't even have enough time to play the games I have at the moment.

Here's a question: Cool kids running ScummVM-PSP, does this support the full "talkie" versions of the games Sam & Max and/or Day of the Tentacle?  Am I correct in assuming this works with the analog nub in place of the mouse?

Actually, I recall reading there was a superior homebrew video player out there which might make this a worthy downgrade.  Add to that the ability to play X-Men Legends 2 without the crazy loading screens...  And raw screenshots.  Yes, I think I do need to make time to try this (and hopefully not brick my PSP).

GatorFavre: On the bleeding edge of PSP scene news.  Thanks for the update!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 06:24:14 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on September 02, 2006, 05:40:50 AM

Here's a question: Cool kids running ScummVM-PSP, does this support the full "talkie" versions of the games Sam & Max and/or Day of the Tentacle?  Am I correct in assuming this works with the analog nub in place of the mouse?

Ayup. It sure does. And yes, the analog nub substitutes for the mouse.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:26:02 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on September 02, 2006, 05:40:50 AM

Actually, I recall reading there was a superior homebrew video player out there which might make this a worthy downgrade.  Add to that the ability to play X-Men Legends 2 without the crazy loading screens...  And raw screenshots.  Yes, I think I do need to make time to try this (and hopefully not brick my PSP).

GatorFavre: On the bleeding edge of PSP scene news.  Thanks for the update!

To answer...

Yes/Yes, yes.

Yes, yes, and not sure (but I think so).

And I used to be on the bleeding edge of PSP scene news - GatorFavre is just a faster poster than I am.  icon_biggrin

No loading (or roughly 20% of the usual loading on average) makes downgrading all the more worth it. Yeah, the emulators (upgraded Genesis and GBA emulators were recently released, pushing both consoles towards the 90% perfection range), the modified video player (playing videos at the PSP's native resolution without scaling), and other far more illegal uses (piracy) are fun, but killing loading times of games you actually own make it all worth the hassle.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

I was all ready to go until I heard of some reports of bricking...oh, that and it's incredibly confusing.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »

Yes, this crack works.....if you have the older motherboard on your PSP.  There is a newer revision that will not downgrade without bricking. From some info I found on Gamefaqs:

pretty much any psp you like will do. But for people who want their psp to live up to its full potential your want a psp that is A.at or below 2.6 firmware
and B.downt have a TA-082 motherboard.
To see what firmware (kinda of like your psp's operating system like windows xp or mac OSX) look on the boxes white label. u should see a lone letter.
each letter corrisponds to the version of firmware your psp has. the following is the key:
A:1.50
b:1.51
C:1.52
D:2.0
E:2.01
F:2.5
G:2.6
H:2.7
I:2.71

all psps with 2.7 or above come with a TA-082 motherboard which mean if you try to downgrade you will brick(more on that later) your psp.
there is no good way to tell is u have a TA-082
Hope that helps.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »

Well I've had my PSP for about 8 months now and I hardly play it so if it bricks then I guess I'll just take that risk.  Only problem is that the 1.50 downdater file that I need is nowhere to be found.  Everybody says to get someone with a 1.5 version to go through all the hoops to produce the 1.50 downdater file.  Does anybody actually have this file?  If you could email it to me then I'd be happy to risk my PSP and provide results here.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 02, 2006, 04:31:40 PM

Well I've had my PSP for about 8 months now and I hardly play it so if it bricks then I guess I'll just take that risk.  Only problem is that the 1.50 downdater file that I need is nowhere to be found.  Everybody says to get someone with a 1.5 version to go through all the hoops to produce the 1.50 downdater file.  Does anybody actually have this file?  If you could email it to me then I'd be happy to risk my PSP and provide results here.
Same.  Pleeeeease

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »

I actually just upgraded to 2.71 and it's pretty cooL!  It's got Sony Portable TV which is cool but everything is Japanese ><
I have working knowledge of hirigana and katakana but I don't know any kanji and anyways it's just too much work trying to slog through all that ><
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 05:09:38 PM »

found a link for the downdater file depward.  PM'ing it to you now
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 02, 2006, 04:47:48 PM

I actually just upgraded to 2.71 and it's pretty cooL!  It's got Sony Portable TV which is cool but everything is Japanese ><
I have working knowledge of hirigana and katakana but I don't know any kanji and anyways it's just too much work trying to slog through all that ><

You do realize that you can emulate (and provide all the functions of) 2.71 via 1.5, right? Have the functionality of 2.71 while having access to all the benefits of 1.5.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 05:36:41 PM »

I may have bricked mine so be careful Depward.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »

I'm assuming it's bricked anyway.  The green light comes on but nothing comes up on the screen.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 06:10:14 PM »

Uh oh - methinks I'll hold on downgrading it then.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear that   icon_frown

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 07:37:20 PM »

So for those of us that still have a 1.5, what are some of the good Homebrew items that have become available recently? I want a decent SNES and Genesis emulator for it. Have they released any faster ones? The ones I had were still in need of some work speedwise.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 11:50:47 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on September 02, 2006, 07:37:20 PM

So for those of us that still have a 1.5, what are some of the good Homebrew items that have become available recently? I want a decent SNES and Genesis emulator for it. Have they released any faster ones? The ones I had were still in need of some work speedwise.

DGen (I believe that's what it is called) got an update recently (in the last 2 weeks or so). Gives a nice speed boost to a slew of titles. The SNES one, not so much.

And too bad on the whole bricking thing. It's unfortunately the risk you run when messing with the flash data.

Oh - they just patched the downgrader. Talks about lessening the bricking problems. Not like it helps you anymore.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 12:14:57 AM »

Quote from: depward on September 02, 2006, 06:10:14 PM

Uh oh - methinks I'll hold on downgrading it then.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear that   icon_frown

Well that's the risk you run I guess!  I'm not devastated.  I guess it will have to go back into the drawer where it's been sitting for the past 6 months smile
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 02:19:01 AM »

For some reason the DGen 1.7 won't finish loading up for me. It complains that the game could not be started. Is there more that needs to be done for it to work? I downloaded the latest version and still nothing. Do I need it to have the directory% also like the SNES one?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 05:24:40 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on September 03, 2006, 02:19:01 AM

For some reason the DGen 1.7 won't finish loading up for me. It complains that the game could not be started. Is there more that needs to be done for it to work? I downloaded the latest version and still nothing. Do I need it to have the directory% also like the SNES one?

Wherever you got the emulator from should have the double directory thing already set up (as yes, it requires the directory% like the SNES one - and all other emulators you run under 1.5, period).

Although, looking at my local copy, I have two folders - one that has a % at the end, and one that has a ton of _ marks after it. I think it's the most current 'trick' to keeping the PSP from seeing that you have an invalid bit of software on your PSP (as programs of these types create an invalid program error under the place where you run all the games on the PSP's main menu).

warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »

I think you have to use the KXploit Tool to make it work.  Here's a link: http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-kxploit-howto.php

As far as software, the emulators are nice but I love some of the other stuff.  iRShell is a little tricky to get set up but it totally replaces the PSP's interface and lets you launch software from it.  It also supports wireless connections with your PC and listening to mp3's while you are running another program.

PMP MOd is also great.  It lets you run videos that you encode at the PSP's full screen resolution instead of the limit set by Sony.  So you can basically make UMD quality videos and it will display them.  Without having to scale the video to full-screen it's pretty clear and sharp.  You can use AVI to PMP to encode your videos.  It's pretty easy to get set up and looks cool as hell.

Lastly, you have to get ScummVM for the PSP as it lets you run old LucasArts adventure games.  I have a game of Monkey Island going right now and Sam & Max is next.  It's pretty amazing software.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 08:33:29 PM »

Thanks. The KXploit was what I needed to get it working.   icon_smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: