http://gamingtrend.com
November 21, 2014, 04:53:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Firmware 2.0 available...  (Read 1405 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005, 02:39:50 PM »

File

Drop it in /PSP/GAME via the USB cable, then run it as a game off the memory stick.  No ETA yet on when it will be available via the network updater.

Boo to Sony though for keeping that ridiculous cell-phone like letter entry mechanism in the web browser frown  Surely in the year 2005 they could come up with a better way to input characters than that...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:19:40 PM »

This works fine on U.S. PSPs?  Actually, let me rephrase that.  Not only will it work, but will it be in English if it does work?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »

I've just got a question or two, first evertime I see a PSP in action it blows my mind, it is gorgeous, and it is powerful and man it would an extremely cool, expensive gift.

However, it bothers me that they released an incomplete product that they now are releasing updates for. On top of that, it opens new doors for more problems. Should we applaud this? Support this? I don't get it, and it bugs me a little, and has actually become the main reason I don't want the machine.

I understand that hardware companies update firmware all the time, I just expect my gaming consoles/portables to be in good working order right out of the box.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:12:03 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"
This works fine on U.S. PSPs?  Actually, let me rephrase that.  Not only will it work, but will it be in English if it does work?

From what I've read, yes, it does work.

However, once you upgrade past 1.50 you're losing out on the ability to play emulation and homebrew programs.

Oh, and if you want a web browser, don't upgrade. Somebody has already ripped out a browser out of another program and made it available to download. And unlike the built in browser (in 2.0), you get Flash support.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:28:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

From what I've read, yes, it does work.

However, once you upgrade past 1.50 you're losing out on the ability to play emulation and homebrew programs.

Oh, and if you want a web browser, don't upgrade. Somebody has already ripped out a browser out of another program and made it available to download. And unlike the built in browser (in 2.0), you get Flash support.

I made the mistake of upgrading past 1.5 (before they got homebrew stuff going) long ago, so I have nothing to lose.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 12:55:34 AM »

I'm going to try it out tonight!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 01:30:50 AM »

Just to clarify Destructor's post - yes, it is technically the Japanese release; however, it contains both the Japanese and English language stuff (I'm assuming the US release will be the exact same binary).

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:41:38 AM »

Web browser was cooler than I thought!

Too bad text entry is so piss-poor that it would have teken me about 87 hours to write this post!!

I can look at it though!

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »

Posted from PSP.

I wish I could use the pointer to scroll across the screen instead of having to use the D-pad.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 02:39:01 AM »

I wish I could use the pointer to scroll across the screen instead of having to use the D-pad.

I actually learned how to do this.  Just hold down the square button and you can scroll around the page with the analog stick.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 04:15:51 AM »

Posting from PSP too...

Just fit mode works well for most pages,but I keep running out of memory in smart fit mode.  Anyone else get this?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 12:15:37 PM »

Just fit mode works well for most pages,but I keep running out of memory in smart fit mode. Anyone else get this?

Yep!

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 05:56:48 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I understand that hardware companies update firmware all the time, I just expect my gaming consoles/portables to be in good working order right out of the box.

The product worked as advertised on release day, mine has never been upgraded and I've never had any problems with it.

The updates are to fight the homebrew/emulator folks, not to fix any real problems as far as I can tell.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: