http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:28:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP - dead pixels?  (Read 3954 times)
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:34:55 PM »

I'm not totally sure what a dead pixel is, but I think my brand new PSP has 4 or 5 of them. Little dots in the bottom left quadrant of the screen that don't change color. They are especially visible when the unit is on and is displaying a black screen.

Is this a common occurance? Would it be worth trying to exchange the PSP for a new one? Or is there a good chance a new one would have a few dead pixles as well? It doesn't really detract from the games at all - but if its something I can take care of by exchanging the system I would rather do that than leave it as is.
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 03:39:35 PM »

That would be a dead pixel(s).  I'm not sure what the instructions say, but generally LCD monitors have something in their instructions that talks about that they'll only exchange the monitor for 10+ dead pixels on the screen.  I'm not sure what Sony's line is if they have any.

You probably want to get it replaced if you can, but dead pixels happen a lot out of the box.  Chances are good that there will be dead pixels, although you may be of the minority that doesn't have them if you're lucky.

I also find this funny because Devil said he couldn't wait for 'dead pixel' comments in another thread.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:40:52 PM »

that sounds exactly like dead pixels.

I would try to return it if possible. If it was a monitor, you would need at least 10 dead pixels to return it in most cases, to the manufacturer.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »

definately try to exchange it for another. I have a laptop with just two dead pixels, but they're annoying as hell.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 03:54:41 PM »

thanks for the info guys. I'll give eb a call when I get home and see if they can work something out with me.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 05:14:38 PM »

This is exactly why I'm purchasing the EB extended warranty. Dead pixels-even ONE- drive me up the wall.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:22:29 PM »

my 'dead pixel story':

my (used) flip-up mini-screen on my psone has 1 dead pixel. at first, i hated it, but now, time's gone by, &, in a strange way, it's kinda become my little friend?...

really doubt this would happen were it a brand new psp, however...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:32:57 PM »

I don't have any dead pixels on my PSP, but I do have a speck of dust under the screen, which took me all of 2 minutes to get over when I got caught up in the absolute beauty of the PSP screen. Seriously, the screen is freaking incredible. It's like a mini HDTV.  smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

My screen is pristine with no dead pixels.  Here's to hoping it stays that way.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
chrismcd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 06:38:08 PM »

Just got back from Getting Mine  And same thing NO Dead Pixels....  I am impressed with the screen quality on the Siperman 2 movie...  Damn it looks good..

Chris

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 12:11:35 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
I don't have any dead pixels on my PSP, but I do have a speck of dust under the screen, which took me all of 2 minutes to get over when I got caught up in the absolute beauty of the PSP screen. Seriously, the screen is freaking incredible. It's like a mini HDTV.  smile

Mine has about 4 specs of dust, one of which really drives me nuts. I don't see them when playing games, but at every menu my eyes go right to the worst one.

I bought it through Ebgames.com and if I can return it for a new one, I will.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 12:38:27 AM »

aren't these people supposed to have quality control?  don't they run around wearing hairnets and shoe covering?  i know it's not NASA but what the heck?  that's a ton of money to spend on an item to end up looking at dead pixels, dust, or anything not perfect.

i returned two brand new GBA SP's because of little flecks of something under the screen - and i'm with you RamPanther - even one flaw on a screen is one too many, it would drive me nuts!  if they have to eat the defective ones, maybe they'll do better next time - and if not, well, let them resell them to some kid who couldn't care less about it. :twisted:

or maybe semiconscious can adopt them all. :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 03:17:42 AM »

While the PSP is very cool,  I saw a lot of dead pixels today.  Hopefully it was just a bad box or two, but out of 50 PSP's my store received, at least 5 had multiple pixels either out altogether or not functioning properly.

I've heard that Sony (at least in Japan) required something like 13 dead pixels to do an official return, but I heard today that a lot of retailers were willing to swap out for as few as one, as long as they had stock to do it (which is the real issue).

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 04:58:58 AM »

No dead pixels on mine, either! <whew!>

Metal Gear Acid is awesome, but it took sitting through 15 minutes of cut scenes before I got a chance to play.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 07:31:39 AM »

I don`t think I have any. I didn`t notice any earlier, but just now I saw 3 or 4 dots, dust or dead pixels etc. I did just put on a screen protector, so I think it just something on it. Even if they are dead pixels, it`s only shows on certain screens, not many at all so far, and it`s hardly noticeable. I`m just going to forget about it, and next year when my warranty is about to expire at EB, I`ll bring it in and get another psp+another year of warranty. If these are dead pixels, maybe by then they`ll manufactor the screens a bit differently and there wouldn`t be any, if there isn`t already... :wink:  Great frickin` system though. Wipeout is amazing. Same with the spiderman 2 movie. I can`t wait for mercury...
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »

I returned a GBA:SP to Best Buy because of a single dead pixel - they had no problems swapping it out.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 05:37:54 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
or maybe semiconscious can adopt them all. :wink:

oh, okay, send your dead pixels here - i'll give them the love they need (also, if anyone's unhappy with their copy of metal gear acid, i'll take that as well)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »

The thing is, if you return it for another. You might get one that`s worse! Just something to think about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 12:19:33 AM »

...and then you keep returning units until you're satisfied with the one you have or you give up in exhausted disgust.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2005, 02:48:13 AM »

I would try to return it if possible. If it was a monitor, you would need at least 10 dead pixels to return it in most cases, to the manufacturer.

For the record, that's highly dependent on the manufacturer in question.  ViewSonic, for example, will replace monitors with only two dead pixels.

-Autistic Angel
Failsafe
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2005, 09:23:18 AM »

I'm due to return my second PSP tomorrow. Hopefully, there will be a replacement unit in stock.

The first had both dead pixels and a more serious drive problem (wouldn't read disks intermittently). This second unit has four separate areas of the screen with defects - two with imbedded specks in the screen and two with plastic defects that give a warped appearance to the area. Am I lucky or what?
Failsafe
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2005, 07:38:54 AM »

Update - I am now on PSP number 3. It too has multiple dead pixels and small point areas of unevenness in the plastic screen causing a local warped appearance. There are at least eight defects in this particular PSP's screen. Number four, here I come! If this goes on much longer, I might just give up on it. Poor QC like this does not deserve to be rewarded.

Seriously, the people at Best Buy have told me they have an estimated 10-20% return rate. Surely, more will be returned before the 30 day return limit is reached. One guy is on his sixth and counting and many others have had multiple returns.

My other history with similar devices in recent memory is pretty good. I've purchased two Treo 650s, a Tungsten T5,  a Tungsten T3, a Nintendo DS, a Gameboy SP and a Gameboy Advance. Of all of those only the first Gameboy SP had to be returned and the second was fine.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2005, 06:03:30 PM »

Do what Im going to do if I ever get one..open it in the store right there in front of them and see how it plays. Its supposed to come with a small charge already so you cant test it...if its bad just tell them to oepn ya another one.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005, 07:24:33 PM »

I just wanted to say that my PSP has no dead or stuck pixels. slywink

Failsafe
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 05:54:42 AM »

You bast.... er lucky dog. I'll be at #4 next with no more in stock anywhere in  reasonable driving distances.

If you Google for PSP screen defects or dead pixels, you'll find ample evidence that I am not alone. If Sony indeed cut corners with this launch (as it appears), I hope they are taken to task for it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 06:31:04 AM »

7-8 dead pixels on my first PSP; traded it in for another one today and so far so good...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 05:37:07 PM »

Mine has 1 dead pixel and I'm exchanging it today.  Grr.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2005, 08:21:27 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"

I`d watch out, you might get a worse one...
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"

I exchanged mine at lunch for a flawless one.  I opened it up in-store to make sure that everything was copacetic.  I swapped out the memory card and the battery (since mine was fully charged) and away I went.  I picked up the extended warranty which I know is usually a rip-off, but I just wanted to be safe since this thing is so new.  The girl at Best Buy was really nice about it all (I did use my Masculine Wiles +3 on her).
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

I exchanged mine at lunch for a flawless one.  I opened it up in-store to make sure that everything was copacetic.  I swapped out the memory card and the battery (since mine was fully charged) and away I went.  I picked up the extended warranty which I know is usually a rip-off, but I just wanted to be safe since this thing is so new.  The girl at Best Buy was really nice about it all (I did use my Masculine Wiles +3 on her).

You know, I had a shoddy deal when I bought mine.  You see, I bought one from a local store here (the "local" Gamestop/EB is about an hour and a half away) and when I asked if I could expect it before I bought it they said that they called Sony and Sony told them NOT to do that.  Which is wonky if you ask me.  But then I asked a local chain after that and they said the same thing - no opening and inspecting.  Weirdness!  I'm glad I got one (I think - from what I can spot) pixel-free.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 08:59:53 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

You know, I had a shoddy deal when I bought mine.  You see, I bought one from a local store here (the "local" Gamestop/EB is about an hour and a half away) and when I asked if I could expect it before I bought it they said that they called Sony and Sony told them NOT to do that.  Which is wonky if you ask me.  But then I asked a local chain after that and they said the same thing - no opening and inspecting.  Weirdness!  I'm glad I got one (I think - from what I can spot) pixel-free.

You have no pixels!!! :shock:  I`m just kiddin`, I`m sleepy and hungry right now, don`t mind me :wink: .
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 09:30:41 PM »

Ha, I was thinking the same thing and my belly is full. smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 09:40:24 PM »

Maybe that "I`m hungry and sleepy" excuse isn`t going to cut it anymore... :wink:
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2005, 09:49:31 PM »

No bad pixels here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 03:52:42 PM »

Ok, just noticed a dead pixel on this new unit too.  Back it goes, sigh.
Reed
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 04:06:06 PM »

I have one (or a spec of dust, hard to tell, but it's been there since day 1) and unfortunately almost in the middle of the screen. It's not very noticable though, generally have to look close to see it unless the screen is entirely black.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »

While I love this system, I don`t like sony much. Their quality assurance is really low or something. I`m glad I got the warranty or I would be pissed.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 03:37:17 AM »

Mine is perfect, but I got into a huge argument at gamestop today with the manager about my little brothers which had about 6 dead pixels, but it was worth it. They were out of untis so I eventually got them to give straight cash for the unti and I took him to toys r us and got a perfect one. Tested it in the store too. The gamestop here kept saying how is was sony's fault. I told them when they sold it to someone it became their fault. Took about 20 minutes of arguing, but it was worth it smile. One dead pixel is enoguh in my book for a return to be warrented. Sony has had some terrible QA when it comes to the PSP. The button issue, the dead pixels. They are just far too arrogant. But I do love my PSP smile.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 05:48:56 AM »

Guess I got lucky - can't see any dead pixels on mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: