http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:07:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Battery Life... even worse than originally thought.  (Read 1815 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2004, 12:16:55 AM »

I was reading thru Gamespot's PSP Q&A, and noticed this little tidbit:

Q: How long does the PSP's battery last?

A: The short answer is that it depends on what you're doing. The longer answer is that Sony has stated that the battery should last around six hours. With simpler-looking games like Lumines or Mahjong Fight Club, that definitely seems to be the case. But with more graphically intensive games, like Ridge Racers, the battery doesn't last quite as long. Based on our estimates and a few battery-draining tests, Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours. Playing with the wireless networking switch flipped on will also further reduce your battery life. The system has an auto-sleep function that stops the wireless drain, but that switch is there for a reason. Turn it off when you're not using it.

-----------
Ninety minutes!?  And from what I've read, Ridge Racer isn't nearly as graphically intensive as other games coming down the pike.  I'm starting to get really nervous about this one...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 12:48:44 AM »

The battery life could be the deciding factor for me to go DS. right now it's looking that way. But of course sony will come out with a new model in 6 months with better battery life.  :roll:
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 12:49:16 AM »

Wow.  I knew it was going to be bad, but that's really impressively bad.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:46:15 AM »

Heh. 90 minutes? Got a chuckle out of me.

I wonder how much the inevitable batterypack add-on will cost?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 01:57:25 AM »

IGN's take - http://psp.ign.com/articles/572/572563p1.html
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:02:44 AM »

"Mahjong Fight Club" - That's the funniest game name I've heard since Maximus XV Abraham Strong: Space Mercenary  biggrin

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 03:14:41 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Heh. 90 minutes? Got a chuckle out of me.

I wonder how much the inevitable batterypack add-on will cost?

IIRC the article was saying about $40 though I really could not tell what it looked like as it is an external battery connected via a dongle

How does this work again?
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »

Out!  That's ridiculous if correct.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 03:49:44 PM »

*Usability sold separately.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »

It looks so freakin' cool but wow that is some sucky battery life.  Jeebus.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:25:41 PM »

Laner's IGN link seems to indicate that with normal use the battery life would be around 4 hours. While not the longest amount of time, it's nothing close to the 90 minutes mentioned in the Gamespot article.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 04:57:11 PM »

Other than the general overall size wasn't it the battery life that killed Sega's handheld system?  I mean it had a bigger better screen and was color back when the gameboy wasn't.  And it actually had some good hot games when it was released.  

I love the PSP but there is no way I'm spending that much, buying all new games for that much more and only getting 2-4 hours play time.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 05:08:36 PM »

Laner's IGN link seems to indicate that with normal use the battery life would be around 4 hours. While not the longest amount of time, it's nothing close to the 90 minutes mentioned in the Gamespot article.

The Gamespot article says this, too.  IGN didn't have time to play Ridge Racers (one of the more system intensive games) for a chunk of time straight.  Gamespot did.  They also seem to have played with Wi-Fi on.  So really that 90 minutes is under the most extreme of conditions.  Though it does seem like these extreme conditions are how many people are going to play.

However, it's very, very early in the PSP's life.  Games get more graphically intense the further into a console's life cycle you get.  Hopefully, they'll also get more efficient, but I wouldn't count on that.  Maybe a better internal battery will come out by then...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 05:31:45 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

The Gamespot article says this, too.  IGN didn't have time to play Ridge Racers (one of the more system intensive games) for a chunk of time straight.  Gamespot did.  They also seem to have played with Wi-Fi on.  So really that 90 minutes is under the most extreme of conditions.  Though it does seem like these extreme conditions are how many people are going to play.

However, it's very, very early in the PSP's life.  Games get more graphically intense the further into a console's life cycle you get.  Hopefully, they'll also get more efficient, but I wouldn't count on that.  Maybe a better internal battery will come out by then...

An earlier article that quoted a Sony exec pretty much implied that Sony would prefer devs to consider making the games less graphically intensive to help conserve battery life rather than Sony having to throw even more money at it to improve it via hardware. Considering that Sony is taking a huge loss on the PSP units I can see where this exec is coming from but I think he's hitting that pipe a bit too hard if Sony expects devs to do such a thing.

How does this work again?
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 03:17:56 PM »

PSP game publishers could put it right on the back of the box!

# of players: 1
Rating: Teen+
Battery Usage: ~1 hour
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 06:07:29 PM »

I hate this. Two interesting looking handhelds released at the same time. I'm thinking of getting the DS tomorrow, as I'm pretty sure that there will be an improved PSP in a year or so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: