http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:18:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP Battery life clarification  (Read 1749 times)
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2004, 02:59:43 AM »

I just read this on QT3 boards, and here's the direct link to the article: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0604.1354.39666.htm

Aaaand, here's the particularly crucial quote:
Battery life is one of these things where if you state a number then everybody's satisfied. The only problem, of course, is it never matches what you state.  But if you don't state a number then it's like, "What's the battery life?"  So it's a continuous Catch-22.  And that's especially prevalent with the PlayStation Portable because it plays various entertainment content.  Again, if you're just listening to music with no visuals at all then it should last, as I said yesterday, about eight to ten hours just like an iPod would.  If you are playing a game that is consistently cycling through and putting the CPU to good use, yeah, battery life is going to be shorter.  Maybe about two and a half, three hours.  That's why putting the range in there... because it's more difficult because it's got a wide range of applications to really pinpoint to say, "It's eight hours."  Because it could be longer, or it could be shorter, and by dramatic margins up or down.

Ookay. To put it mildly, that's a bit short for my taste. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed. I bet there's going to be an add-on adapter that'll cost $30, and adds another 5 hours on there.

Sigh. Well, it's not like I was going to purchase it day 1. I'll wait 'till it gets to $150-$100 range. Nevertheless, I'd prefer it to have a bit more of a kick to it.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:44:10 AM »

We were told "Nothing is final" at E3 but tenatively, you could play games for up to 6-7 hours or watch a 2.5 hour movie on a full charge. (Decompressor eats the juice)  Time will tell though.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:46:55 PM »

I am *definitely* down for a PSP.  I've been waiting and waiting for a REAL portable gaming box.  The Gameboy stuff is just too underpowered for me.  All the games have little round happy people.  Blah!

Nintendo, once again, is about to have their butt kicked and handed back to them by Sony.  They should have released some upper-end units and sewed up the whole market.  This new dual-screen Gameboy is just the worst idea ever.  Now, you can have TWO screens of little round happy people.  Double blah!

How many people want to play games on a PS1 when they could play on a PS2?  Less than 1 percent.  Wait until everyone sees the graphics on the PSP.  How many will want to play on a GBA over a PSP?  It will be more than 1 percent, but not a lot more.

Nintendo desperately needs to put someone in charge with *vision* that won't run the company into the ground.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »

I'm with Diamond!

About 4 hours is all I'd need at one time too.

I'll be there day 1...IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 04:49:02 PM »

Here is what I do not know/do not understand. I know there will be oodles of new games for this console, but how many, if ANY, PS1 or PS2 games will be making their way to PSP as ports?
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 06:51:37 PM »

I recently got a GBA and enjoy it. Its got enough games to keep me busy for a while. I'll stick with that until PSP or DS have more games. Once they've been out a while I'll see which I like more.

As for the PSP's battery life. Why don't they just state the average hours it lasts for its main uses. For the articles example they could just state battery life when used for music and battery life when used for gaming.

If they only state 2-8hrs (or whatever #s), I would assume the 2 is for gaming until hearing otherwise.

I'd also like to know charging time.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 07:35:36 PM »

Personally, I'd think that the battery life during gaming would be the shortest among all the available options.

While watching a DVD (or whatever Sony calls the discs), it's constantly running the drive one way, and using the graphic processor to display what's on the disc.

During an average game, the processor is working overtime, and the drive is constantly moving back and forth trying to find the right bits of data to stream into whatever you're playing.

While I've never tried this on my laptop before, I know that I get about 2 hours of gaming time, and 3 hours of non-active time (just typing away on Word with Autosave turned off or something). I should toss in a DVD to see how long it'll last that way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 08:22:47 PM »

I suppose watching the extended versions of LOTR would be out of the question, though.  :wink:

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 08:22:55 PM »

Will you be able to get a second battery pack for it, so you can swap the batteries out if you're prone to long trips?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: