http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 03:56:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP 2007 Game of the Year babble  (Read 964 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:05:54 AM »

We're nearing the end of the year. And I think about the only remaining PSP game that might be GOTY material is the PSP version of Warhammer 40K: Squad Command (we'll know how that shapes up next week - it's due around Nov. 13 or so).

My sort of "guess forecast" for PSP GOTY nominees includes at least some of these. I dug up Sony's official site for each game, for info's sake (beware some obnoxious Flash intros that take a while to load). I tried to break them down a bit by category, but there some genres (sports, racing, I don't really play or pay much attention to on PSP to this point). I put an asterisk by games not quite released, or just barely out (MOH: Heroes) that seemed to be shaping up well.

RPG
Jeanne D'Arc
http://www.us.playstation.com/Jeannedarc/

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
http://na.square-enix.com/fftactics/

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
http://www.disgaeapsp.com/
[Not really my cup of tea, but I've read a lot of

Puzzlequest
I dunno-is it an RPG or just a fancy puzzle game?  icon_confused

Strategy
SOCOM: Tactical Strike
http://www.us.playstation.com/SOCOMTacticalStrike/
[I know I'm rambling on and on about elsewhere - it's so much fun and such a nice change from the relatively brainless SOCOM shooter PSP games to date, really. smile If something like this was on PS3, I'd finally get one. IGN disagrees with me, but I still expect it to get some "votes" smile]

Warhammer 40K: Squad Command *
http://www.squadcommandgame.com/
[Just based on a pretty fun demo, but who knows how the full game stacks up].

Shooter
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
http://www.us.playstation.com/logansshadow/
[I haven't gotten it only 'cause I'm still trying to finish the first game  icon_lol]

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 *
http://www.ea.com/mohheroes2/features.jsp
[Based on some really strong early reviews, and lots of improvements over the well rated MOH: Heroes]
Anyway, the next time some out-of-touch dunderhead slams your PSP because "there's nothing good on it," you can politely thrust this list in their face with my blessings.  slywink

I'll update this later. Man I spent an hour on this post. Gah. If you read down this far, you are rewarded with...

Blackjack's Most Disappointing PSP Titles of the Year thumbsdown! [These were disappointing to *me*, so I apologize in advance if any of these is your Favorite PSP Game of the Year  saywhat It's all in good fun.]

SWAT: Target Liberty
http://www.swatpsp.com/splash/
I think I'm maybe the only person who bought this.  disgust As much as SOCOM: Tactical Strike gets right about a tactical, actiony game (including a rich variety of environments), SWAT gets it wrong. Stick with Killzone: Liberty if you want an isometric PSP shooter, and go for SOCOM: Tactical Strike (just hitting shelves now) if you want a rich tactical-strategy/action game done right (imho). And write Guerilla Games about doing a Killzone: Liberty followup when Killzone 2 fails to be a "Halo-killer" (a 900-pound gorilla label, right up there with "WoW Killer" and "Diablo Killer," that probably no game can live up to.  icon_neutral)

Alien Syndrome
http://www.sega.com/gamesite/aliensyndrome/fullsite/index.html
I hesitate to call this Most Disappointing "game" because in its own way, this got me back into PSP gaming (mine had gathered dusts for months until I rented and then bought this). But the environments are numbingly repetitive, the loot is actually excessive for such an arcadey shooter, and that the guy [Larry Holland] behind classics like virtually all of the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and the under appreciated Star Trek: Bridge Commander is reduced to doing a conversion of an ancient Sega arcade shooter-thon on Wii and PSP is... well.. sad.  tear The disappointment isn't the game, so much as that someone with that creative a track record isn't getting to do something a whole lot more ambitious (on any platform). I mean, imagine if Sid Meier did SWAT: Target Liberty.  Tongue (I know, maybe then the game would've been GOOD!)

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefrontrenegadesquadron/
I'm renting this now. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are just not very good [especially compared to terrific looking titles like the Syphon Filter series, SOCOM: Tactical Strike, and the demo of next year's God of War: Chains of Olympus], the space combat's a mess, and most reviews are only lauding it for its multiplayer. Devs can do great work on PSP, but this just isn't a game I'd use to show off the system to a friend (just about anything listed above would better do that). It boggles my mind that Sony is bundling this game when there are so many excellent titles that better show off the system and have better thought-out control schemes.

A scaled down Knights of the Old Republic (turn-based stuff works better in PSP's limited button set) would seem like a great fit for PSP. I really wish they'd explore something like that instead of making a relatively mindless shooter that just demonstrates how clumsy this kind of game is on PSP if not done carefully.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:18:05 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 04:36:21 AM »

Cool topic!

It's been a GREAT year for the PSP - sales are up EVERYWHERE, Sony's finally getting some interesting stuff on the device via their firmware updates and we're getting fantastic games.

I still need to play a few that came out this year (the rest of the year yields no real AAA titles), but it's been great.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is high on my list of games of the year!

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 05:10:16 AM »

fft:wotl is every bit as awesome today as it was 10 years ago (&, to my mind, every bit as awesome as anything, & i mean anything, released in 2007) - easily my vote for the best psp title of the year...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »

I just got my PSP a couple months ago, and so far all of the games I've been playing were released quite a while ago.  Daxter, the first Syphon Filter, Dungeon Siege, The Warriors...all good games but none of them from this year that I know of. 

I do have Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters coming in the mail from Calvin, and after that demo I really want to get W40k: Squad Command so those will be my first games of 2007. 

I think I just have a problem paying $40 for a portable game, and judging by sales I don't think I'm the only one.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:34:49 AM »

I was thinking of getting the SW PSP bundle but after seeing the screenshots and reading impressions I decided to pass.  I;d love to have the white PSP with Vader on the back but I'd hate to support a game that sucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »

My nod would go to Jeanne D'Arc at this point.  FFT is undeniably brilliant, but it's basically the same game I played 10 years ago.  Jeanne took a completely ridiculous premise, and turned it into a thoroughly enjoyable experience, both in gameplay and storytelling.  Level 5 ironed out many of the small, niggling issues I always had with SRPG games, and it was easily the most fun I've had gaming this year.

As of today, Jeanne D'Arc is my GOTY on any platform.  Unfortunately, I think it will be surpassed by either Rock Band, Mass Effect, or Assassin's Creed.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »

Jeanne D'Arc is polished to buttery perfection.  It's sublime.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »

I must be an aberration for not even wanting to play all of those JRPGs and tactical type games on the PSP when that seems like all anyone else is interested in.  I feel like such a square. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 02:27:15 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 11, 2007, 06:01:38 PM

FFT is undeniably brilliant, but it's basically the same game I played 10 years ago.

yeah, basically (tho there're some very nice (& surprising) additions), but that doesn't make it any less undeniably brilliant today - to the contrary, it makes it more brilliant than ever...

we'll just have to wait'n'see what jeanne d'arc will look like 10 years from now smile ...

original, 10-year-old promo...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:26:58 AM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »

thought maybe i should get off the fft:wotl bandwagon (for a moment) & give props to some other psp titles not mentioned already that i liked this year:

gurumin: very slick action/platformer, in it's own way every bit as good as size matters...

brave story: best-built original rpg for the psp. somewhat easy, but very enjoyable...

monster hunter freedom 2: bigger'n'badder than the original, & as pretty as any game on the system...

&, coming this week: metal gear solid: portable ops plus, a $20 expansion pack for last year's game...

unlike last year, i've spent as much or more time with my psp as with my ds nod ...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:11:00 PM by semiconscious » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 12, 2007, 02:27:15 AM

Quote from: Gratch on November 11, 2007, 06:01:38 PM

FFT is undeniably brilliant, but it's basically the same game I played 10 years ago.

yeah, basically (tho there're some very nice (& surprising) additions), but that doesn't make it any less undeniably brilliant today - to the contrary, it makes it more brilliant than ever...

we'll just have to wait'n'see what jeanne d'arc will look like 10 years from now smile ...

Part of FFT's charm is how old-school it is.  Like many of the older FF games, it's fun to go back and see how some of the now-standard genre conventions got started, but I'm glad we have moved past them.  After playing Jeanne, it was really hard to go back to things like having a turn order, not having XP carry over to the next level (this has always been a big gripe of mine with the FFT series), crappy camera angles, etc.  The story and job system certainly make up for some of these problems, but I think Jeanne does all these little things just right.

Awesome find!  Odd that they didn't use actual music from the game in that spot though.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:45 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 11, 2007, 08:06:35 PM

I must be an aberration for not even wanting to play all of those JRPGs and tactical type games on the PSP when that seems like all anyone else is interested in.  I feel like such a square. 
Square!  Tongue Nah, everyone responds to different things. Doesn't make you weird. smile I like hanging out at this board because generally so far people don't say "How can you like that, you must be an idiot!" and I have had to deal with that other places when I say what do or don't like to play.

At the other board I hung out at the other PSP players only played puzzle games. It was inscrutable to me why they'd pay $200 (then the price) so they could basically play Lumines and Lumines II, but I didn't make fun of people there for feeling that way.

And Puzzlequest PSP version was great (generally was better reviewed than the DS version even though one might think it would work better with a stylus). In fact I should add it to my GOTY nominees list. smile

Also, I should add D&D: Tactics (which I was so excited about but generally disappointed by) to my "Biggest Disappointment" list.

I bought Monster Hunter Freedom 2, but I really found the inventory and tiny equipment items too frustrating to deal with. I haven't given up on it though. It's one of those things I'll try harder to get into some day.

Anyway, I know there are other PSP players here (it was one of the things that attracted me to this board smile) and we just didn't have much general chatter going on. So chat chat away. If you disagree with my GOTY suggestions, that's fine, just love to keep some general PSP talk going.  icon_cool

If you don't want to pay full price, people are trading PSP games into Gamestop constantly. Do examine the UMD discs carefully for scratches and stuff -- you wouldn't believe the condition some of the PSP game UMDs I rent from Gamefly are in (just scratched beyond belief, as if on purpose).  paranoid

Also, I might be interested in doing some PSP game trading soon. I'm really piling up a few PSP titles that didn't hook me (even when they're well-reviewed).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:58:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: