http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSP = $185  (Read 4484 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:57:38 PM »

This now makes the system viable. I just couldn't imagine how this thing would compete with the DS or the GBA at the ridiculously rumored $300 (or more) pricetag. If I am Nintendo I am VERY worried now. All of a sudden my gimmicky double screen deal is only $35 less than the Sony portable powerhouse.

Somehow I knew Sony would be too smart to price it for double the cost of a PS2....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:07:55 PM »

Sounds great though Sony has got to be taking a bath on this thing.  

I am concerned about the battery-life.  Reportedly 4-6 hours for games.  

I don't know if I will pick one up at launch (depends on the library) but the fact of this entering my collection is all but assured.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 04:09:29 PM »

Also, a new Final Fantasy VII Action RPG, Crisis Core, was announced today for the PSP.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 04:18:49 PM »

I'm not a big fan of handhelds, but that price certainly makes it much more attractive to me.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 04:27:19 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I am concerned about the battery-life.  Reportedly 4-6 hours for games.  

That 4-6 hours with the volume only half-way and without using the wireless lan.  I wish they would hand out some numbers with the lan in use.  Buying extra batteries is a bit pretty expensive ($45 each) to compensate for low battery life.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 04:35:37 PM »

How exactly do you market a product that has 4 hours of battery life?

Am I living in the past, or is that just an absurdly low number of hours?

Or.... do people view it like a cell phone....  Charge it every night out of habit?  Since I suppose 4 hours a day (on the go) is not terrible.

I don't know.  Still seems very low to me.

LD  :?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 04:42:24 PM »

IN! IN! IN!

That's some good news on the price!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 04:43:12 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
How exactly do you market a product that has 4 hours of battery life?

Am I living in the past, or is that just an absurdly low number of hours?

Or.... do people view it like a cell phone....  Charge it every night out of habit?  Since I suppose 4 hours a day (on the go) is not terrible.

I don't know.  Still seems very low to me.

LD  :?

The four hours is a concern to me because I game much more in the home than on the go.  For extended GBA gaming I will plug in the recharging cord as I'm playing.  This doesn't look possible with the replaceable battery pack.

I suppose I'll have to buy two batteries and keep one on the charger.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 04:58:07 PM »

That's quite a bit more reasonable of a price range than the original rumors let on. Now, if we could only get some more concrete answers on the lifespan of the battery itself.

Anyways, It's about 70% possibility of me getting this day 1 now. Bump that up to 90%, if the battery life is around 10h.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 05:02:00 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
That's quite a bit more reasonable of a price range than the original rumors let on. Now, if we could only get some more concrete answers on the lifespan of the battery itself.

Anyways, It's about 70% possibility of me getting this day 1 now. Bump that up to 90%, if the battery life is around 10h.

Fellow, those 4-6 hours I quoted should be accurate.  It was in the engineering report from Sony just released based on real world trials depending on the level of luminescence used.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 05:08:40 PM »

Hmm, any chance of this coming to the TV screen, Game Boy Player style? I don't like handhelds, but I do sure want to play that Final Fantasy VII game...
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 05:13:03 PM »

Out! Out! Out!

4-6 hours battery life?  And that's not worse case?  There's just no way I could deal with that...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Out! Out! Out!

4-6 hours battery life?  And that's not worse case?  There's just no way I could deal with that...

To show you how unreal these 'real world' numbers are, Palm (makers of the Palm Pilot), insist that my Palm Tungsten T|3 lasts for 4-6 hours under real use conditions.

Try like 3, tops. And that's if I'm not going overboard with the processor (just typing away on my Word clone, instead of using my Bluetooth connection to surf the net while listening to .mp3 files).

Combine that with the fact that you have to buy (or rebuy) these mini-DVDs to watch movies on the thing, and I don't exactly see this as a winner. A threat to Nintendo, yes, but not a true winner.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 05:21:08 PM »

Fellow, those 4-6 hours I quoted should be accurate.  It was in the engineering report from Sony just released based on real world trials depending on the level of luminescence used.

Tst. That's a bit on the low side. Now, I suppose 4-6 hours is a good chunk, in the sense that I'd never see myself sitting down and spending that much time on a handheld in one shot, but... it is short enough so as to become a nuisance.

On the other hand, it's hard to tell exactly how long they do last, since they're taxed differently under different circumstances (movies, games, music). Of course, if it was 10h, none of this'd be a concern. smile

Either way, the pricepoint put this back on my radar. I figure everything'll be a lot clearer the closer it gets to release date.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 05:45:47 PM »

Fellow- the 4-6 hours was specifically for games. I think its 4 hours max for movie viewing.  

In general I don't spend that long with a handheld but some games do inspire that (Fire Emblem, Superstar Saga).  Some of the prospective series coming to the PSP might inspire that considering the marathons their console counterparts inspire.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 06:16:14 PM »

Hell at $185, I'll buy this and a few spare battery packs on launch day.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 06:33:09 PM »

I dont really have an issue with that. I WILL TAKE INOVATION OVER BATTERY LIFE. I have been screaming that (to myself, in private) over Nintendos GBA's for YEARS.. HOW F'In long did it take to get back lighting?

HELL YES I SCREAM

This is the messiah, no more tiny screens, ancient technology... SAY YES TO SONY.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 06:39:20 PM »

Level 5 (makers of the Dark Cloud series and Dragon Quest/Warrior 8 ) also announced they are working on an original RPG for the PSP.  Now if they'd just release details on Dark Cloud 3, I'd be happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kermy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 06:40:56 PM »

In. Pre ordering it, extra battery and whole lotta games.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 06:48:37 PM »

Either they have some amazing engineers or their taking a sizable hit on the thing. Don't see how they can offer what they are claiming in features and specs for that price without loosing money. But as a consumer thats not my problem. For that price I could see getting one too.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »

They took care of one of my reservations, but unless they up the battery life I'm not buying at launch.  I'm sure they'll come out with the good battery in a year or so after launch and get to rake in another $50+ from most users.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 09:51:09 PM »

So realistically they'll round that up to 199. Kind of high but better than 300 bucks...

DS launches the day before in Japan... big Battle in little Tokyo

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 09:59:07 PM »

Someone elses review from another board of the gamespot article:

"PSP will be released Dec. 12 in Japan for $185 with the PSP, a battery pack, and an AC adapter. A value pack for $232 will also be released and will come with a carrying case, headphones with remote, and a 32MB Memory Stick Duo. Other accessories will also be available on release. The battery life has been annonced to have an average of 4-6 hours for games and 4-5 on movies. 21 games will be available in December."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111570.html
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 10:45:12 PM »

I'm going to wait and see the post-launch game lineup before dropping $$ on this.  I'm not much into portable gaming, so I'm a little leery of dropping $185 for something I won't use much.  I paid $100 for a GBA and I've basically only used it to play Final Fantasy Tactics  (although that game alone probably justifies the purchase).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2004, 11:03:39 PM »

Only $185 for this monster handheld?!?

Wow, I am so in for this one now. Sorry Nintendo, the DS just can't compare with this...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2004, 02:00:27 AM »

i haven't been big on handhelds either, but that was partly because of those silly little characters who you could hardly see doing things you usually didn't care about (Zelda DX, Ages, Seasons, a few other exceptions...), so i mainly played Tetris and that sort of game while on a trip or whatever.  AND half the time the GBA SP isn't bright enough to play in mixed light - on said trip, in and out of sun and shade, etc.  plus, you could never adjust the volume without using surgical tools.

now the PSP is a different story, i was interested from the beginning - large screen, great graphics, maybe enough light...  

i'm confused about two things though.  first - it seemed like someone was saying that you couldn't play while charging, but someone else mentioned an AC adapter...?  second, another person, talking about battery life and illumination, sounded like there might be a choice of illumination level...?

thanks,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2004, 02:34:54 AM »

It looks pretty neat. The PSP isn't a release-day purchase for me, but I will be keeping an eye on it to see what kind of games are released.

Nippon Ichi's next release will be PSP exclusive... that might be enough to make me buy it.  Can you imagine a game of Disgaea's depth on the go?!   :shock:

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2004, 03:10:49 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"

i'm confused about two things though.  first - it seemed like someone was saying that you couldn't play while charging, but someone else mentioned an AC adapter...?  second, another person, talking about battery life and illumination, sounded like there might be a choice of illumination level...?

thanks,

You can play with the AC adaptor plugged in and there are three levels of illumination, i think.  High, Low and AC.  The AC level is the highest and is only available when the unit is plugged in.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2004, 03:27:25 AM »

thanks DB!

i guess i'll be getting one, then, although i may wait for the first wave of reviews, see how the first-run models are...  of course, i always say that!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2004, 05:51:49 AM »

The price is excellent but having to buy a memory stick as well to save my games? Count me out on that. I really don't want to manage yet another accessory for when I take my portable on the go.

The engineering report makes me leery of the battery life as well. 4-6 hours at this illumination, this specific sound level, blah, blah, blah...

I'm going to have to take a wait and see on this thing.

How does this work again?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2004, 09:29:40 AM »

Despite the low number of hours on the battery life, I'd still pick one up at $185.  I won't be clamoring to get it on release day, but I'll wait a few months before buying it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »

The rivalry is heating up a little bit with Nintendo and Sony trading some verbal attacks, kind of funny:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/28/news_6111769.html

So whose scared? Nin or Sony?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2004, 02:09:35 PM »

I see this as a no-lose situation for Sony. If they get 5% of the market, that's 5% taken from Nintendo.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I see this as a no-lose situation for Sony. If they get 5% of the market, that's 5% taken from Nintendo.

The big risk for Sony is that at $185 (or less) its very probable they are taking a loss on each PSP sold.  This is similar to MS's tactics with the Xbox but Sony doesn't have the cash reserves that MS has to sustain that for a long period of time.  If the PSP doesn't sell well out of the gate and they are losing money from it I think there will be strong shareholder pressure to get out of the portable market.

The incredibly low price point strikes me as a bold, all or nothing gambit.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2004, 04:58:16 PM »

The big risk for Sony is that at $185 (or less) its very probable they are taking a loss on each PSP sold.  This is similar to MS's tactics with the Xbox but Sony doesn't have the cash reserves that MS has to sustain that for a long period of time.  If the PSP doesn't sell well out of the gate and they are losing money from it I think there will be strong shareholder pressure to get out of the portable market.

The incredibly low price point strikes me as a bold, all or nothing gambit.

Especially since sales of the PS2 have dropped and all of Sonys other divisions are either losing money or breaking even.  Its too early to tell about the effect of the PStwo, but in all likelyhood, it won't offset the cost of selling the PSP at such a low price.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 05:08:44 PM »

I agree with the MS approach that you guys mentioned but isn't that something they have to do at this point?

X-Box2 will be a viable choice when the PS3 rolls around unlike the last round when they had the head start. Maybe they are looking at other ways to off-set any market share losses they might be seeing 5-10 years down the road?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2004, 06:20:11 PM »

I agree with the MS approach that you guys mentioned but isn't that something they have to do at this point?

X-Box2 will be a viable choice when the PS3 rolls around unlike the last round when they had the head start. Maybe they are looking at other ways to off-set any market share losses they might be seeing 5-10 years down the road?

The MS approach is something that Microsoft is uniquely suited for thanks to their incredible profits in other areas.  

Sony, on the other hand, doesn't have that luxury.  Their games division is a significant source of income for the company so they can't lose a couple of billion dollars over 4 or 5 years and write it off as just gaining market penetration.  Even MS is reportedly designing Xbox 2 in mind with minimizing losses on the console itself  when its introduced and eventually turning a profit later in the consoles life, somethings they are unable to do with Xbox 1 due to its design.

Sony's approach is bold and it may certainly pay off but its more risky IMO than introducing it at a $250-300 pricepoint and gradually gaining market share and reducing the price in accordance with normal console practice.  

For all intents and purposes its akin to Sony having released the PS2 in 2000 for $185 vice $300.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »

Could it be Sony heading out of the home market and into the portable market?
Maybe have this be the new 'walkman' standard with games, movies, music, etc? Have the 'PS4' use the UMD discs?

Just trying to figure out what they have going on...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2004, 07:28:44 PM »

Could it be Sony heading out of the home market and into the portable market?
Maybe have this be the new 'walkman' standard with games, movies, music, etc? Have the 'PS4' use the UMD discs?

Just trying to figure out what they have going on...

Sony's not going to leave the console market until they are no longer profitable which will likely be a long time coming. The portable market is just an expansion although I'm sure they hope the PSP catches on as the new 'walkman'.  

I don't know the exact capacity of the UMD disks but they will be a big step down in size from PS3 which will use the Blu-Ray high definition DVD standard.  Considering the size of the textures that games are supporting the demand for more space on storage media is going to continue to grow.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2004, 07:31:10 PM »

Makes sense - I'm just throwing garbage out there...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: