http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 09:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSN update - R&C demo and everyday shooter impressions  (Read 1864 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »

as i stayed home today because of the flu, i checked the psn a few times to see if ES was released.  i wasn't expecting r&c demo though.  it's quite big, so hopefully it's decent length for a demo. 

after watching a trailer for everyday shooter, i decided to pick it up.  so far, i like it.  you have to grab the points you earn, which makes you choose between killing and grabbing stuff as you move a bit faster when you aren't shooting.  also, you shoot faster when you aren't moving, whch is an interesting mechanic to use.  overall, it's easier to avoid stuff than gw, at least through the 4th level.  the music and style change quite a bit between levels and i really like the second level for that.  the trick to getting high scores is the multiplier.  each lvel is different and it really helps to figure out the best way to trigger it.  in most cases, you get points where you wouldn't get them otherwise or you increase the value of the points you would have got by just shooting the whatever.  after you die, whatever points you earned are added to a pool and can be used to unlock extra lives, single levels, and some odd visual mods.  it looks lik there's a boss towards the end, but i haven't got anywhere close yet. 

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 11:41:22 PM »

I am downloading now!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:27:29 AM »

ok.  the ps3 ate my first post, so i'll get to the meat of it.  if you liked the previous games, you'll like this one.  if you didn't, then there isn't a whole lot changed, good or bad, outside of the graphics.  the game is much better looking in motion than in the screenshots.  i played both 2 and 3 and liked 2 a lot more.  this plays out pretty much the same.  i suspect it will get hit in the reviews if the demo is indicative of the full game.  i liked the length of the demo and unlike a few others, i'll probably replay it at some time before release.  not sure it will get the love it deserves though as there is so much coming out this season and i will definatey be into mass effect to the hilt when that game is out. 
i assume this will be full price too, which makes it less enticing.  i wonder if this will have the same length as the 2nd one did.  a second difficulty for instance.   

1.6gb demo took ~9 minutes to install.  downloaded in about half an hour. 

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:36:52 AM »

The demo for Ratchet and Clank was awesome.  The game looks like a Pixar movie, it's incredible.

I had fun throughout and love throwing out the Groovitron biggrin

THANK you for the demo.  First day purchase.

TheMissingLink on PSN
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 01:03:06 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 12, 2007, 12:36:52 AM

The demo for Ratchet and Clank was awesome.  The game looks like a Pixar movie, it's incredible.

I had fun throughout and love throwing out the Groovitron biggrin

THANK you for the demo.  First day purchase.

i second that emotion (groovitron & all - also love when the robot near the end scans clank & images a toaster smile )...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »

I had a huge grin on my face during the entire R&C demo.  It doesn't really show off any new wrinkles to the formula but damn if it wasn't fun. 
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »

It was fun.  It felt like the other Ratchet and Clanks games, which is a good thing.  The graphics were okay, nothing wow about them, but did the job.  This won't be the PS3 game that blows the 360 away graphically, but it was damn fun.  I'll probably grab it if its not to short.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 03:12:23 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 12, 2007, 01:10:39 PM

I had a huge grin on my face during the entire R&C demo.  It doesn't really show off any new wrinkles to the formula but damn if it wasn't fun. 

Agreed. It looks just like a better looking R&C title. Plays the exact same way. Nothing wrong with that though, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »

been stuck on 86% for ages now..never really played any other R and C games,but the way people have been going on about this,i cant let it pass without me inspecting it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 08:13:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 12, 2007, 08:09:15 PM

been stuck on 86% for ages now..never really played any other R and C games,but the way people have been going on about this,i cant let it pass without me inspecting it

I'm not sure you can really "get" R&C just off of one level. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 12, 2007, 01:10:39 PM

Me too, wonderful demo, day 1 purchase (not that it wasn't already). I'm not sure what is up with some of you that don't like the graphics-they are freaking stunning.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 12, 2007, 08:13:33 PM

I'm not sure you can really "get" R&C just off of one level. 

not the full experience no, but it does give you a good taste of what the core gameplay is.  shooting cool and crazy weapons at odd enemies and blowing the S out of the environment. 

as i put it earlier, if you played and didn't care for the first three games, you probably won't be swayed into picking this up.  if you loved them, then you'll probably love this one.  i read one of the dev interviews and they basically said they only planned to stick to the formula of the first 3.  no mp this time around either.  the animation is great.  more detail all around.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 09:03:29 PM »

Never played previous version of R&C, but I do like the demo. Crazy weapons and good graphic. But still not $60.00...
I will get it when price drop or used.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »

played the demo now(after having to install it as well :disgust:i always forget about that)

it looked great and played good as well,prolly nothing mega new from what i saw but i did like it

slightly off topic:is this the game that Myto always played on the PS2 with you guys?...i think she told me ages ago she used to play R and c online

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »

Anyone know if this will have multiplayer, co-op, etc.?  Curious if it will have any modes that let me and my sons play together...

---
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:32 PM »

Last I heard there would be no multiplayer in this Ratchet and Clank, mainly because they wanted to focus on getting the core game down.  Expect the sequel to have it since they said they were interested in MP, just not quite ready to do it yet.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 11:26:50 PM »

Quote from: Scott on October 12, 2007, 10:38:31 PM

Anyone know if this will have multiplayer, co-op, etc.?  Curious if it will have any modes that let me and my sons play together...

Yeah it's not going to have any multiplayer.

If nothing else it seems like a step back.

Definitely feels like a high def Ratchet and Clank, can't decide whether or not I like that. I was hoping for something more or different, or new, but after reading a bunch of developer interviews this game sounds like two or three steps back (but in HD) before taking several forward.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:59:13 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 11:35:07 PM »

Last I heard there would be no multiplayer in this Ratchet and Clank, mainly because they wanted to focus on getting the core game down.  Expect the sequel to have it since they said they were interested in MP, just not quite ready to do it yet.
Wow, that sucks.  I hope its at least pretty long.  Maybe the PS3 is pretty hard to program for if one of Sony's ace developers can't even put out a full game...  Thanks for the info.

---
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on October 12, 2007, 11:26:50 PM

Quote from: Scott on October 12, 2007, 10:38:31 PM

Yeah it's not going to have any multiplayer.

Woo! Always a plus in my book.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 01:09:31 AM »

Probably not a good idea to download it on a Friday night.  After 2 hours I'm only at 57%.  tear

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »

if it's anything like 2 and 3 in this regard, then it will have a higher difficulty which is unlocked and damn near impossible until you have gone through the game once and maxed out your life and weapons.  i think #3 had another level of weapon upgrades in that mode as well.  of course, they are now saying that the weapon system is similar to ffx, so that may change things a bit.  i'm not sure how that will affect the gameplay if you have to buy your upgrades instead of just leveling up through use.  i did accumulate quite a bit of cash in the demo and more than i remember getting in the first level of the earlier games, so maybe they increased the payouts to match.  as long as they give you a good arena to fight in and a bunch of side games/weapons to collect, then i'll be happy.  coop would have been great, but i can live without it for now. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »

From what I understand no one actually played the mp in previous R&C games so I can understand why Insomniac saw it as a waste of resources.

Outside of the removal of mp, what's a step back about it?  I've heard they are trying to bring in a bit more platforming than UYA had but that's a plus in my book.  I can certainly see how it doesn't look to be a step forward outside of the visuals but I haven't read anything to indicate the series has regressed at all. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 02:29:21 AM »

as someone who has never played any previous R&C games, I can say that I thought this demo was really great...the gameplay was very fun and the graphics are top-notch, or close to it

how could anyone say the visuals are only mediocre?  I can only guess a crappy and/or badly calibrated HDTV (or even worse, non-HDTV)
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 03:10:40 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 13, 2007, 02:09:59 AM

From what I understand no one actually played the mp in previous R&C games so I can understand why Insomniac saw it as a waste of resources.

Outside of the removal of mp, what's a step back about it?  I've heard they are trying to bring in a bit more platforming than UYA had but that's a plus in my book.  I can certainly see how it doesn't look to be a step forward outside of the visuals but I haven't read anything to indicate the series has regressed at all. 

it feels like a step back because it doesn't feel as developed as the last 2 games. It really seems like a step back to the very first Ratchet and Clank. It actually feels like they just added High Def and mailed it in. There doesn't appear to be anything new to make it worth $60. If I want that kind of experience I'll buy one of the older games and save some money.

I am not saying that they have to change the whole game like they did with the horrid "deadlocked"or whatever it was called, but I get the feeling that this is a cashed in next gen game like several EA games have been. So in the end, it's lacking features that it's predecessors had, and it seems like some of the mechanics have been changed for the worse. I gather this not only from the Demo but also from all I have read on the game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 04:11:14 AM »

never really played any other R and C games

Quote from: biggercup on October 12, 2007, 09:03:29 PM

Never played previous version of R&C

Quote from: KePoW on October 13, 2007, 02:29:21 AM

as someone who has never played any previous R&C games

there is no series of games on the ps2 that are more flat-out enjoyable than the first 3 ratchet & clanks - they're pretty, they're clever, they're funny as hell, they're totally wacked out, &, of course, they're currently available (like right now!) for pocket change. please - do yourselves a favor & have some memorable-type fun...

Quote from: Tebunker on October 13, 2007, 03:10:40 AM

it feels like a step back because it doesn't feel as developed as the last 2 games. It really seems like a step back to the very first Ratchet and Clank. It actually feels like they just added High Def and mailed it in. There doesn't appear to be anything new to make it worth $60. If I want that kind of experience I'll buy one of the older games and save some money.

to which all i can say is, if you can 'mail in' something like what's in that demo, i'm definitely willing to cover the postage...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 04:26:43 AM »

I am not saying that they have to change the whole game like they did with the horrid "deadlocked"or whatever it was called, but I get the feeling that this is a cashed in next gen game like several EA games have been. So in the end, it's lacking features that it's predecessors had, and it seems like some of the mechanics have been changed for the worse. I gather this not only from the Demo but also from all I have read on the game.

Again, what features, other than MP, from the previous games have been removed?  What mechanics have been changed for the worse?  I can see it not moving the series forward but damned if I see any regressions (at least based on the demo and what I've read of the full game). 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 04:35:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 13, 2007, 04:26:43 AM

Again, what features, other than MP, from the previous games have been removed?  What mechanics have been changed for the worse?  I can see it not moving the series forward but damned if I see any regressions (at least based on the demo and what I've read of the full game). 
other than the two things i mentioned above, (mp and weapon leveling changed) this plays exactly like the early part of 2 and 3. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »

Great demo.  Well worth every bit of the 3 1/2 hours it took to download and install.  icon_eek

One question...

Has anyone found a way to reverse the Y axis?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 06:27:54 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 13, 2007, 06:24:21 AM

Can't do it in the demo but you can in the final game. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 04:20:19 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 13, 2007, 06:27:54 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 13, 2007, 06:24:21 AM

Can't do it in the demo but you can in the final game. 

thank goodness, that would have been terrible if there was no invert option
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »

Great demo, I'm another one that has never play a R&C game. I have some PS2 gaming to catch up on methinks...(once I finish God of War)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 08:16:33 PM »

People that invert are just weird-and I am with Kevin-what in the world is a step back here? It is uber-polished, incredible graphics, ratchet and clank awesome. I am considering finishing up UYA before I move on to this one. I mean, just look at the weapons in the demo!! How can the GROOVITRON be a step back??
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »

Has the weapon leveling changed that much?  The fusion grenades leveled up during the demo.  In one of the previous games there were weapon customizations.  Perhaps they're just combining the two systems.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2007, 10:31:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 12, 2007, 09:40:58 PM

played the demo now(after having to install it as well :disgust:i always forget about that)

it looked great and played good as well,prolly nothing mega new from what i saw but i did like it

slightly off topic:is this the game that Myto always played on the PS2 with you guys?...i think she told me ages ago she used to play R and c online

haha yeah thats the game, she actually got me involved in this site one night in the waiting room online, she said to check out "console gold" and about 2 years later....

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 03:39:50 AM »

Do you have a review copy or are you basing all this on one little demo?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 09:17:41 PM »

according to scea, r&cf release is now back to next week smile ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: