http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 11:59:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSN - Now coming back online  (Read 16149 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 24, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

You know what, the more I think about it, the more silly it seems - Hey, Mr. Eel Snave - I don't agree with your piece, but I still think you are a cool guy! Sorry if I sounded offensive in my arguments.

Anyways - Here's to hoping Sony learns, and the hackers all go to hell :-)

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:56 AM »

Maintenance

PlayStation Network is offline for scheduled maintenance from 16:00 on Tuesday 24 May 2011 until 00:01 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, GMT.

During the maintenance, you will be unable to access the following services:

* PlayStation Store on PS3 and PSP.
    * PlayStation Network Account Management.
    * PlayStation Network Account Registration.

In addition, you will not be able to sign in to PlayStation Network from eu.playstation.com. If you wish to play online during the maintenance, please ensure you sign in to PSN before 16:00 on Tuesday 24 May 2011.

During this maintenance, you can continue to collect in-game trophies and these will be updated on your profile once PlayStation Network is back up and running.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »

gellar, I think you're having a forest for the trees issue here, as you're too close to it.

There is absolutely a difference between a friend and a company in these situations, both in perception and the eyes of the law.  And, as Purge pointed out, yes they do promise to look after my information.  And you know what, EULA be damned, there is a tacit agreement when I'm giving you my credit card.  If you put something in the EULA that says, "The company will not be held responsible if your credit card is stolen" and my credit card gets stolen, a) the lawyers are going to have a fun time getting down deep to the letter of the law on that one (i.e. how much did Sony hold up their end both as written and as perceived) and b) your business model is awful and you're showing no level of respect for your customer and that information is now out there...good luck holding onto any customers (both End Users and the Credit Card Companies, never mind stockholders and such).

End Users were not the problem here.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 24, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 24, 2011, 07:47:45 AM

You know what, the more I think about it, the more silly it seems - Hey, Mr. Eel Snave - I don't agree with your piece, but I still think you are a cool guy! Sorry if I sounded offensive in my arguments.

Anyways - Here's to hoping Sony learns, and the hackers all go to hell :-)

How is that silly?  I disagree with friends all the time.  If I agreed with them on all things, they wouldn't be friends...they'd be sock puppets.  And let's face it, arguing with a sock puppet is NOT something you want your neighbors to stumble onto one night after they knock on your door at 3 a.m. to ask you to stop yelling out obscenities at a Mr. Whipple over which Beatles song was the best...

...but I digest.

I originally thought the article was coming from someone sympathetic to the hacker community.  When I realized it was by someone who I actually am fond of from prior experiences, I realized the intent of the article wasn't really a defense of the hackers.  It was more of a pointed and shaken finger in the face of Sony.  I still disagreed with his summation, but it certainly changed the context of the article for me and elevated it past snarky replies.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2011, 12:55:45 PM

End Users were not the problem here.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anyone who disagreed with Eel's assessment is saying end users are at fault.  The point of contention (for me, at least) was the belief that hackers are almost blameless in PSN's current situation.

Quote from: gellar on May 24, 2011, 05:01:09 AM

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2011, 12:15:08 AM

stuff

Agreed again. 

This needs to stop.   Tongue
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:26:10 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 24, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »

Slight derail - It was silly because I got mad about it, which there as absolutely no reason for :-)

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 24, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2011, 01:14:59 PM

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think anyone who disagreed with Eel's assessment is saying end users are at fault.  The point of contention (for me, at least) was the belief that hackers are almost blameless in PSN's current situation.

You missed something.

Quote from: gellar on May 24, 2011, 05:40:34 AM

6) I think my point here is that every entity is vulnerable to the extent that they have end users.  End users are the weakest link of any security posture.  Malware writers are DAMN good and DAMN motivated (these aren't script kiddies or hackers anymore, this is organized crime or worse) and if they want to breach you, they will. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 24, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

Well, in Gellar's defense, he's singling out end users who are criminal minded (i.e. the hackers), not all end users (i.e. everyone else).

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »

PSN Store wont be back up tonight or tomorrow  Roll Eyes

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/302842/playstation-store-not-back-online-tonight-or-tomorrow-sony/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 24, 2011, 03:26:06 PM

but I want my credit card data stolen now!

biggrin

* CeeKay flees

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2011, 03:23:21 PM

Well, in Gellar's defense, he's singling out end users who are criminal minded (i.e. the hackers), not all end users (i.e. everyone else).

I got that, but the comment seems to put the whole tirade in perspective in that forest for the trees way.  It's like the old retail line: This job would be great if it wasn't for all the customers.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 24, 2011, 03:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2011, 03:44:40 PM

I got that, but the comment seems to put the whole tirade in perspective in that forest for the trees way.  It's like the old retail line: This job would be great if it wasn't for all the customers.

I should think a more appropriate use of that phrase in light of what Gellar wrote would be "This job would be great if it wasn't for all the customers...who shoplift."   icon_wink

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2011, 03:59:53 PM

I should think a more appropriate use of that phrase in light of what Gellar wrote would be "This job would be great if it wasn't for all the customers...who shoplift."   icon_wink

Well, not really, because he's lumping the regular (albeit annoying) customers in with the shoplifters.   icon_wink icon_wink

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217028/Sony_says_hacker_stole_2_000_records_from_Canadian_site?taxonomyId=140

The hacker got access to records for about 2,000 customers, including their names and e-mail addresses and a hashed version of users' passwords, said Ivette Lopez Sisniega, a Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications spokeswoman. "Sony Ericsson has disabled this e-commerce website," she said in an e-mail message. "We can confirm that this is a standalone website and it is not connected to Sony Ericsson servers."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 25, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 24, 2011, 07:35:36 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 24, 2011, 03:59:53 PM

Well, not really, because he's lumping the regular (albeit annoying) customers in with the shoplifters.   icon_wink icon_wink

Again, my views and not my employers and all that shit:

Yeah apologies for that.  In no way am I saying that the PSN users are responsible for the loss of their data.  I'm saying that author's simplistic view of why Sony is apparently at fault (one dude saying that they were running unpatched webservers and/or no firewalls) is rampant speculation at best.  We don't know how those servers are related to the breach at hand.  We don't know how they were isolated from the environment.  Most importantly, we don't have any clue if they were related to the breach at all.  It could be 100% unrelated.

My users comment is simply pointing out that the majority of breaches occur due to either targeted infiltration and/or compromising the weakest link of the security posture: the corporate end user.  If I were a betting man, I'd figure that's how this thing started (just like the examples I linked to in an earlier post: Heartland, Stuxnet, RSA, etc...).  Some user or user terminal got compromised and shit went downhill from there.  That's how this stuff works.  It's complex and takes literally months to pull off.

Now of course it's possible that Sony had a giant gaping hole in their system and this attack was done with little to no effort, as the article says it did.  I'm just saying there is no proof to this and the odds (and precedent) are very much against that.  If it was so easy, this would've happened a lot sooner than it did.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 25, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »

Xbox live Marketplace has gone down paranoid

MS are currently negotiating with the hackers<<<this part may not be true,and i may of just made it up retard

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/303036/news/xbox-live-marketplace-down/

not sure if its a world wide thing,but i just looked on the marketplace and every piece of content no longer has individual game box art to represent it(and also has no description),each one has been changed to the generic Xbox 360 Game cover art

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2011, 12:56:01 PM »

From the article you linked:

"The problems arrive at the same time as a planned Xbox 360 dashboard update, and Microsoft says it's "aware" of the issue."

Yeah, its probably not a hacker issue now is it?

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 25, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

so, is this is only 5% MS's fault?

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 25, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2011, 02:15:34 PM

so, is this is only 5% MS's fault?

No, that percentage is the level of their fault for every RRoD failure...   Tongue

Quote from: mytocles on May 21, 2011, 05:45:34 PM

There is a great summary of the entire PSN fiasco, linked on The Front Page -  well done, Mr. Evans!  It won't make you feel any better, but it details the entire misadventure quite nicely.   nod

Well, that's the last time I try to complement anyone here about anything at all!  Okay, that's not true, I can't help myself.

Quote from: Razgon on May 21, 2011, 05:55:00 PM

Yeah, we discussed it a few pages back - Honestly, it's a lot of speculation and some misinformation as well in there as a few commented a few pages back - it's not something I expected ever to see at the front of Gamingtrend.com

It seems to me that the article wasn't thoroughly discussed a few pages back, but I'm pretty sure it has been now, lol.

Btw, just an "informational aside": hackers come in all stripes - I happen to have hackers in my brain;  they are called mitochondria... and they make my sig absolutely correct for me.  I usually read everything in any thread I post in, but not all of it hangs around for later retrieval.  Though I can't seem to make a thread, myself, that results in thorough discussion,  I must have a talent for dropping in a single comment that sets the prairie on fire.  I guess that is my own, very unique, contribution to this community - You're Welcome!

Re:

PlayStation Store not back online tonight or tomorrow - Sony
Tuesday 24-May-2011 2:27 PM Platform holder "aiming to have it live by the end of May"

"We're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this essential maintenance."

I'm still waiting to update/ upgrade my PSP and my second account on my PS3;  it looks like I can't go further for awhile.  At least Sony is still sorry about the whole thing, though.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on May 25, 2011, 02:42:08 PM

Quote from: mytocles on May 21, 2011, 05:45:34 PM

There is a great summary of the entire PSN fiasco, linked on The Front Page -  well done, Mr. Evans!  It won't make you feel any better, but it details the entire misadventure quite nicely.   nod

Well, that's the last time I try to complement anyone here about anything at all!  Okay, that's not true, I can't help myself.

LOL icon_lol

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »

BTW Myto, that quote in your sig is from the very quote worthy Mark Twain, or Samuel Clemens if you prefer.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »

I just got an email with an offer similar to the one I got from my bank, BTW:

Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStationŽNetwork and Qriocity™ Customers

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment have made arrangements with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS to eligible PlayStationŽNetwork and Qriocity account holders in the United States who are concerned about identity theft.

AllClear ID PLUS is a premium identity protection service that uses advanced technology to deliver alerts to help protect you from identity theft. The service also provides identity theft insurance coverage and hands-on help from expert fraud investigators.

Sony has arranged, at no charge to eligible PlayStationŽNetwork and Qriocity account holders, for twelve months of this service to be provided by Debix to those who choose to enroll. In order to be eligible, account holders must be residents of the United States with active accounts as of April 20, 2011.

If interested, please submit your email address by June 28, 2011, at 11:59:59 PM CST at: us.playstation.com/news/consumeralerts/identity-theft-protection.

Please note, you must enter the same email address used to register your PlayStationŽNetwork or Qriocity account. Once your email address is validated, you will be sent your AllClear ID PLUS activation code.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment & Sony Network Entertainment

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »

I wonder what they charge you AFTER the 12 months are up. 

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 25, 2011, 08:19:29 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 25, 2011, 03:13:53 PM

BTW Myto, that quote in your sig is from the very quote worthy Mark Twain, or Samuel Clemens if you prefer.

Huh, I'm not certain (because I'm never sure) but I don't think I ever knew that.  I'm glad to know that I was stealing from such an eminent quote-worthy author.   icon_biggrin

I got the same email, btw, as Bullwinkle did, so I'm guessing everyone will, or at least the people who have given Sony their email address.  I'm pretty sure no one would actually want my identity, but you never know...    paranoid

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2011, 03:05:18 AM »

After trying unsuccessfully for 3 days, I was finally able to reset my PSN password and log into MediaGo to get my free PSP games.  I click on the "Welcome Back" section, click on the game I want, and get the following message, "This content is included in 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'.  You must first purchase 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'"

So...I have to somehow "purchase" my free games before I'm allowed to download them, yet nothing I click (i.e. add to cart, download, etc) allows me to do so.   retard  

Fine Sony, you win.  I give up.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:05 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 07, 2011, 03:05:18 AM

After trying unsuccessfully for 3 days, I was finally able to reset my PSN password and log into MediaGo to get my free PSP games.  I click on the "Welcome Back" section, click on the game I want, and get the following message, "This content is included in 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'.  You must first purchase 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'"

So...I have to somehow "purchase" my free games before I'm allowed to download them, yet nothing I click (i.e. add to cart, download, etc) allows me to do so.   retard 

Fine Sony, you win.  I give up.

You have to click the item that says welcome back item # and then it prompts you to choose a game.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »

Did you read the instructions?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »

yeah, it makes more sense on the psn.  all of the items are there, including the "Free game"  which i thought was damned odd, but whatever.  i got infarmous out of it, (yay, just in time to ignore it in lieu of the sequel) and dead nation which looks interesting enough for a mindless action shooter.

biggest hassle was waiting the three or so days before the psn stopped giving me the error.  and now the digging out and readying my old phat psp and getting the games on it when the cfw is two years old. 

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 07, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »

Logged in and was prompted for both PW reset and system update. All went fine and DL'd my 2 games.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 07, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

After trying unsuccessfully for 3 days, I was finally able to reset my PSN password and log into MediaGo to get my free PSP games.  I click on the "Welcome Back" section, click on the game I want, and get the following message, "This content is included in 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'.  You must first purchase 'Welcome Back Free PSP Game 2'"

So...I have to somehow "purchase" my free games before I'm allowed to download them, yet nothing I click (i.e. add to cart, download, etc) allows me to do so.   retard 

You have to click the item that says welcome back item # and then it prompts you to choose a game.

You think that's bad I selected my free games from the menu, and now I can't download them. If I go to the game's DL screen it makes me buy them, and If I go back to the free game prompt screen there is no option there to select free games anymore. Which I think means that I am screwed.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 07, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 07, 2011, 09:53:16 PM

You think that's bad I selected my free games from the menu, and now I can't download them. If I go to the game's DL screen it makes me buy them, and If I go back to the free game prompt screen there is no option there to select free games anymore. Which I think means that I am screwed.

from XMB go to:

Account Management>>>Transaction Management>>>Services List>>>Playstation Network Promotions>>Playstation Free Games

and see if you can work it from there,if you haven't already tried that way

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 07, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 07, 2011, 09:53:16 PM

No it doesn't please see my post above for what you need to do to access them.  It's lame I agree, but you didn't lose your free games.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »

Anyone tried getting the PSN Plus free 30 days?    I click on it and it always asks for a password.    Any trick i'm missing?    I click on Welcome Back and PSN Plus free 30 days and it's asking for a password every time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on June 08, 2011, 04:07:44 PM

Anyone tried getting the PSN Plus free 30 days?    I click on it and it always asks for a password.    Any trick i'm missing?    I click on Welcome Back and PSN Plus free 30 days and it's asking for a password every time.

I think that' a free 30 days bonus for people already in Plus.  I haven't checked it, though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 08, 2011, 04:22:12 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 08, 2011, 04:19:40 PM

I think that' a free 30 days bonus for people already in Plus.  I haven't checked it, though.

I thought it was for everyone.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 08, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 04:22:12 PM

It's for everyone.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:20 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on June 08, 2011, 04:28:42 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 08, 2011, 04:22:12 PM

Anyone tried getting the PSN Plus free 30 days?    I click on it and it always asks for a password.    Any trick i'm missing?    I click on Welcome Back and PSN Plus free 30 days and it's asking for a password every time.

I think that' a free 30 days bonus for people already in Plus.  I haven't checked it, though.

It's for everyone.

yeah its quite funny seeing nearly everyone on my friends list with the little yellow plus next to their name now...i think it was only Bullwinkle who had it originally

some great themes to download from the PSN+US store...the SEGA genesis theme is cool

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: June 08, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »

The free PSN+ thing said that it required my credit card info so they could auto-bill me when the 30 days ran out, and that was the end of me even thinking about signing up for it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 08, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 08, 2011, 06:51:31 PM

The free PSN+ thing said that it required my credit card info so they could auto-bill me when the 30 days ran out, and that was the end of me even thinking about signing up for it.

thanks for the heads up, I won't even bother now.  besides, I already gave my credit card number to some random homeless guy on the street for safe keeping.

Because I can,
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »

Then either you're doing something wrong or they horked up the procedures:

Non-PlayStation®Plus subscribers will receive 30 days free of PlayStation®Plus, available to download on PlayStation®Store. No credit card or commitment required. An additional 60 free days of PlayStation®Plus will be added automatically for existing subscribers.
1. Log on to PlayStation®Store

2. Click on the “Welcome Back” tab in the upper left menu

3. Select “PlayStation®Plus 30 Days Free”

Unlike a typical subscription, this will not auto renew, but rather will expire 30 days from the day you download.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:59 PM »

I did the system update then when I went to log onto PSN, it said I had to change my password and an email had been sent.
problem is, the email it has is no longer valid.

Any suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: