http://gamingtrend.com
November 20, 2014, 09:08:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3/Wii pre-order information. Trade in's required?  (Read 1517 times)
kathode
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:50:17 PM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119592

The short version - EB/Gamestop will start taking pre-orders this Monday.  The catch is you've got to trade in $50 worth of games or systems or whatever.  No cash accepted. 

What a crock. 

Update: Looks like this is just a localized test being done in Hawaii.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 07:07:10 PM by kathode » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 04:55:51 PM »

Really weird, well considering I just got $40 in trade ins yesterday for 3 games I already know that I was going to trade in some more stuff.

On the bright side, they have a trade in 3 get an extra $10 deal going on now, not too shabby for stocking up.

After reading up on this at CheapAssGamer, this looks to be regional and right now in Hawaii only, no confirmations from any of the stores in the contiguous 48 so far.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 05:11:41 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 05:17:40 PM »

Woah.  I know that idea had been tossed around when the 360 was coming out, but I was pretty vocal in my opposition to it, and it never got implemented in the district I was in.  If they actually do implement it company-wide (which I doubt they will), it should be an interesting situation. 

motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »

Read through that entire thread and it looks like a test in Hawaii starting on Monday. Don't panic or freak out..........................yet.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 16, 2006, 04:50:17 PM

The short version - EB/Gamestop will start taking pre-orders this Monday.  The catch is you've got to trade in $50 worth of games or systems or whatever.  No cash accepted. 

What a crock. 

Screw EB, this seals it up for me.. Boycotting those jerks for good now. (assuming they DO go through with this)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 12:12:00 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 16, 2006, 05:41:13 PM

Quote from: kathode on September 16, 2006, 04:50:17 PM

What a crock. 

Fuck EB, this seals it up for me.. Boycotting those fuckers for good now.

Ahem...

Read through that entire thread and it looks like a test in Hawaii starting on Monday

If it goes company-wide, then I'll be right there beside you on the 'Fuck EB' wagon.  However, I'm not ready to crucify them for testing something out in one specific location.  It's called test-marketing, and all companies do it.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »

i was gonna sak a similar question so i might as well ask it here.....

i know camping out is generally the best way to get a system at release, but where is generally a good place to preorder to get it for release?  any specific place have better reliability than another?

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 06:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on September 16, 2006, 06:00:33 PM

i was gonna sak a similar question so i might as well ask it here.....

i know camping out is generally the best way to get a system at release, but where is generally a good place to preorder to get it for release?  any specific place have better reliability than another?

This may sound counter-intuitive, but GS/EB may be your best bet for the PS3 if not the Wii (all signs point to the Wii being widely available).  After last years debacle with the 360, GS/EB are being very very cautious about this round of systems.  I'm guessing they will actually deliver on their day one promises this time. Whatever else you want to say about GS/EB, they are about 20% of the retail gaming market (not including used, factor that in and it's obviously greater) so they will get a decent share of systems.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 06:59:44 PM »

May I please remind everyone that some of us work for the company, and I, for one, would appreciate it if you'd do your best to remain civil. I'm all for people voicing their displeasure, and I have no wish to sensor [edit: or censor/censer/censure] anybody, but there are real people with real feelings that enjoy being members of this community. I'd like to keep it that way.

To the best of my knowledge there is currently no plan to take PS3 preorders on a corporate-wide level for the simple reason that the number of reserves we could accumulate in a single day would exceed our allocation from Sony. We've just been told in the last couple of days that they are awaiting numbers from Nintendo before coming up with a plan of action.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 07:20:06 PM by Misguided » Logged

Ruining language with my terrible words.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 07:08:42 PM »

Quote from: motodd on September 16, 2006, 05:26:18 PM

Read through that entire thread and it looks like a test in Hawaii starting on Monday. Don't panic or freak out..........................yet.
Good to know, I edited the original post.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 08:39:55 PM »

I was in an EB today and I'm pretty sure someone put in a pre-order for the Wii.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 09:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 16, 2006, 06:59:44 PM

May I please remind everyone that some of us work for the company, and I, for one, would appreciate it if you'd do your best to remain civil. I'm all for people voicing their displeasure, and I have no wish to sensor [edit: or censor/censer/censure] anybody, but there are real people with real feelings that enjoy being members of this community. I'd like to keep it that way.

To the best of my knowledge there is currently no plan to take PS3 preorders on a corporate-wide level for the simple reason that the number of reserves we could accumulate in a single day would exceed our allocation from Sony. We've just been told in the last couple of days that they are awaiting numbers from Nintendo before coming up with a plan of action.

Agreed, let's tone the language and overall vitrol down a lil bit.  As it says in the CoC, think "The Shield", not "The Sopranos" (although I'm thinking of changing that to Deadwood) slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 09:14:03 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 16, 2006, 08:39:55 PM

I was in an EB today and I'm pretty sure someone put in a pre-order for the Wii.

No chance of that unless a) there's some special thing (like the Hawaii bit) in your region or b) some chuckleheads are doing a waiting list or issuing some sort of generic reservation, neither of which they should be doing.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »

Yeah I asked yesterday, when I did the 3 and get an extra 10 deal, about when to expect to be able to pre-order and the guy said they wouldn't know until Nintendo told them their shipment numbers.

I have a feeling I will go to Target or Wal-Mart and get my system there and just get my games at gamestop with credit.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 11:07:26 PM »

No reason to take a comment like that personally, Misguided.
I work for a certain county jail that gets bashed by the press ALL the time.. but it doesn't bother me the slightest. It's a free country and they can say what they want.. but now if they were attacking me personally, yeah I might take issue, but nobody here is attacking anyone personally, just some people dont like the practices of EB/Gamestop.
My biggest gripe with them is how they "gut" the new games, sometimes all of them leaving 3 "new" boxes out on the shelves and when you say you want a sealed one they said they dont have any and wont give you an open box discount. (How's it our fault - the customers - that they break the factory seal and effectively render it an "open box" item?)

But no big deal.. relax I like my job (well somewhat..  icon_wink) but could care less what other people think of it.. even though a lot of us here bash Gamestop a lot of us still shop there, I'm guilty of it too. Matter of fact I'm heading out there in about 20 minutes to pick up a used game or two.. so relax and dont take it so personally!  icon_wink

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 16, 2006, 09:14:03 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 16, 2006, 08:39:55 PM

No chance of that unless a) there's some special thing (like the Hawaii bit) in your region or b) some chuckleheads are doing a waiting list or issuing some sort of generic reservation, neither of which they should be doing.

Maybe I was mistaken. But the guy definitely put in a pre-order for something Wii related. Zelda, perhaps?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 12:07:58 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 16, 2006, 11:17:54 PM

Maybe I was mistaken. But the guy definitely put in a pre-order for something Wii related. Zelda, perhaps?

Yup, we are taking Wii Zelda reservations as of Friday.

Corruptrelic, you're absolutely right, and I've said the same thing to myself. Sometimes it's a little tough, though, particularly when I've come home from a long day and want to hang out in my favorite forum and find out what people are up to, and get assaulted with the latest thing the company has done to make everyone's life miserable. Once again, I'm not trying to tell Kobra or anyone else they don't have a right to be pissed off, etc.

As to the open box issue, I can understand where that would bug you. It is not out of the ordinary to give a 10% discount on opened or shopworn items. This is one of those discretionary things I guess, and the majority of custmoers don't seem to mind. If the store you've been shopping at won't cut you a break, then perhaps there's another nearby that will.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 16, 2006, 11:07:26 PM

No reason to take a comment like that personally, Misguided.
I work for a certain county jail that gets bashed by the press ALL the time.. but it doesn't bother me the slightest. It's a free country and they can say what they want.. but now if they were attacking me personally, yeah I might take issue, but nobody here is attacking anyone personally, just some people dont like the practices of EB/Gamestop.

Exactly... Pretty silly to take something as broad as that personally. Gotta grow some skin..  People hated Radioshack when I worked there, why would I care what they think?  It was just a paycheck printing machine for me, hate it all you want.. 

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 12:27:06 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 17, 2006, 12:15:26 AM

Exactly... Pretty silly to take something as broad as that personally. Gotta grow some skin.. 

Yup, I don't disagree with you, and I'm not mad or anything. I'm just asking folks to think for a second before they go painting with those broad strokes.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 01:06:13 AM »

Shoot I won't lie, I take stuff said about my Company personally sometimes. It's a good thing to take some pride in where you work and the work you do.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 02:34:00 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 17, 2006, 01:06:13 AM

Shoot I won't lie, I take stuff said about my Company personally sometimes. It's a good thing to take some pride in where you work and the work you do.

Yeah I have to admit, years of being a corporate slave basically has me viewing most companies as paycheck printers.  Jaded.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 06:36:26 AM »

Come on Misguided, a lot of us think that companies like EB and Best Buy are the dregs of the earth, and we want to be able to voice that opinion. It isn't for one second a slight against you!

Either way, dissapointed in no PS3 preorder, guess camping out is the way to go for my ebay prospecting.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 10:50:43 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 17, 2006, 12:07:58 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on September 16, 2006, 11:17:54 PM

Time to hit the old EB then to preorder this.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll hit on the exact same day to preorder the console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 17, 2006, 06:36:26 AM

Either way, dissapointed in no PS3 preorder

Understandable, though while I might be pick one up eventually, I'm not sure I want a day 1 unit. After some of the technical issues with the 360, and given the PS3 is arguably more technically advanced in some ways, I'm curious to see what problems, if any arise, before I shell out that kind of money. No titles I'm that interested in either, yet. If I had one, I'd probably be most interested in trying some PS2 stuff (Rez, Okami, etc).

I'm glad there aren't any PS3 preorders though. I moved over from Barnes and Nobles in October of last year, just weeks before the 360 launch. At that time we were still taking preorders and telling people that paid systems off they would get their systems day 1, and I assure you that we believed thazt to be true at that time. I don't care to speculate on who screwed up or what happened, but as we all know, we were suddenly in the position of having to tell people that what we had believed to be true one moment had changed completely the next. This did not make for a joyous Christmas season in every household, and was neither fun for us or our customers. Nobody wants a repeat of that.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »

Oh absolutely you can take pride in what you do, but taking negative comments about your company personally (or really taking anything personally, for that matter) just leads to unnecessary stress.
It isn't our job to be the PR guys, we're there to do our jobs and get a pay check. I'm proud of knowing that where I work I keep the bad guys locked up so they aren't out on the streets selling drugs or killing people, and that's all that matters to me - not some journalist from the local paper who says we aren't taking care of inmates because they don't get their kosher meals on time, or because the TV only gets basic cable. (Yes, they really complain about that BS, even go as far as calling it "Cruel and unusual punishment"!)
So it doesn't bother me at all, I get enough stress from work as it is, so why would I care what someone else thought about my company?
Imagine the guys working at McDonalds drive-thrus took all the complaints against their company personally..

Yeah, definitely, take some pride in what you do.. but IMO, taking critism of your company personally can lead to anything but positive results. (That is unless, of course, you really are the PR guy!  icon_wink)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

Criticism is fine. I've got no problems with it, as I've said multiple times in this thread. I merely asked it be kept a bit more civil.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

Anyway back on track... apparently Amazon was offering preorders for the Wii on Friday and quickly sold out.

From reading comments on the Amazon website, it was available for order beginning sometime last Friday, Sept 15. Having sold out all pre-orders the same day, this would seem to indicate a tremendous pent up demand for these devices. Some actually bought more than one!

Here is a comment from one customer that made it under the wire: "Amazon offered preorders with Wii Sports included for $249 today. With 1 day expedited shipping ran $283.83. No absurd bundle required. They began taking preorders this morning and had sold out of preorders by 11 am cst."

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13971
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »

Oh dear...  Roll Eyes Do you realize how many f-bombs are going to go off on PS3 launch-day?

You'll think it's goddamned world-war three, and being waged at retail.

The casualties to wallets will be felt all over the eBay world.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »

Just got an EB newsletter in my mailbox and they've got a section titled "Wii Come in Peace" pimping the Wii.  Curse Nintendo for forcing us to be subjected to endless horrible puns. 

Anyway, the section includes the line "Details regarding our pre-order program will be announced before November 19."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: