http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 11:49:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 Whining  (Read 1274 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

Yeah yeah - I'm gonna break my own rule and allow myself to do a little bitching and whining here.

<whine>
So a few weeks ago (just before I left for vacation) - I was trying to introduce my daughter to the Lord of the Rings movies but for some reason none of them would read on the PS3. I thought it was odd, but was on a mission so I just loaded them up in the Xbox instead.

A few days later - I went to go play some more Dead Space and again - couldn't get the game to read. A few discs later and I confirm that it's a problem with the PS3 as it will no longer read ANY disc. A quick search on Google also reveals that this is apparently not an uncommon problem with the PS3 (although it was the first I had heard of it). I check my warranty status and thankfully I'm within 10 days of the 1-year warranty - so it's going to be covered, so I initiate the warranty request and they ship the box to send my PS3 to them to my house while I'm on vacation. I'm happy to see that Sony was wise enough to pay for overnight shipping of the PS3 to their warranty center as that means less waiting for me and less chance of the PS3 getting damaged during shipping.

I sent my PS3 to them on Dec 15th and kept checking the online status every day since. They shipped it back to me on Monday the 22nd (although it didn't get picked up by UPS until the 23rd). However --- Sony doesn't pay for overnight again - they only paid for ground shipping.

So not only does that mean no PS3 for my Christmas holiday but even worse - with all the freakin holiday breaks that UPS takes - my estimated delivery date isn't until Jan 5th.  Yep - that's right - my PS3 is going to be in UPS warehouses, trucks and freezing cold for approximately 2 whole weeks.  So my faith level that my PS3 isn't going to have new issues when i finally get it is pretty darn low.

Makes no sense to me - why would they pay for overnight one way but not the other?
</whine>
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »

One of the few to go bad.  Sorry to hear about it and yep, it's always at the worst time.  If mine ever goes bad and is not under warranty, I will most likely get Sony to fix it, then sell it and go  buy one at Best Buy with one of those two year warranties.  That is the only thing that gives me piece of mind with these consoles-knowing if it breaks I can walk into BB that day and have a new one.  Love that.  Unfortunately, I got mine at Kmart and didn't buy the warranty.  Probably should have but I honestly didn't trust them to stay open very long what with how run down their stores have gotten. 

Hope you get it back here in a day or two.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

Well, if this place has taught you anything, you shouldn't have wasted your money on a PS3 in the first place.
There are no games for it, it's too expensive and Blu-Ray looks no better than a 1957 shot, black and white film of a snowstorm.

There were other options but you'd have probably had to send back a 360 at this point as well (for the 85th time) and Microsoft sucks anyway.

If you had a Wii you probably wouldn't have any hardware issues but, screw movies or HD. You could be playing mini-games and retreads.

On second thought. Take up some other hobby. Lockdown collects porcelain dolls, for instance. 
 icon_wink

(Hope you get other back real soon!)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:59:58 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »

Quote from: Devil on December 28, 2008, 12:58:13 AM

On second thought. Take up some other hobby. Lockdown collects porcelain doll heads, for instance. 
 icon_wink

FTFY.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:32:45 AM »

When my 360 broke, it took about 3 months to get a working one, and that was with probably 8 hours of me bugging them on the phone.

I simply don't use my 360 anymore because of it. I refuse to give MS any more money.

PSN ID: EduardoX
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 03:01:26 AM »

At least most of XBOX 360 repairs are free.
For PS3 you must to have receipt (or that's what Sony customer service personal told me over the phone)

My PS3 have same disc reading problem and they want $150.00 for repair since I don't have 1 year old receipt.

When my XBOX360 had RROD, I was little sad but repair service was fast, free and I also got free game.
Now my PS3 is broken and I have to pay $150.00, I am more than upset.  mad

Then again, I only have a few games for PS3 and usually use it for DVD and Blu-Ray player.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 03:28:18 AM »

This PS3 problem seems to be turning up more and more over the last couple of months.
I'm wondering if there isn't a systematic problem with one of the components of the blu-ray drive.
If this became commonplace it would be disastrous for Sony.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 05:34:58 AM »

I've gone through 10+ Xbox 360's since release. I still have my original PS3 when it came out and never had a problem with it. Well, the only problem is lack of games but it is a solid machine. There are no commonplace problems with the PS3 hardware just standard issues that most hardware goes through. The X360 is a hardware failure, though, and I hope the Jasper model is a major improvement over that last 360.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:21:22 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on December 28, 2008, 05:34:58 AM

There are no commonplace problems with the PS3 hardware just standard issues that most hardware goes through.

considering I had the same DVD player for about 5 years (not to mention 2 DVD drives on my PC that see far more use than any of my consoles) and it was still going strong before I replaced it with an upscaling model makes me believe drive failures like this aren't supposed to be standard issues.  heck, I watched a roommates brand new PS2 'fat model' disc drive go bad in less than a year, which apparently was common for the original PS2 models, and now people are starting to see the same thing happening with the PS3 makes me wonder what could Sony be doing wrong with the drives.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »

I know quite a few people with PS3's, heck, I have the original 60GB BC PS3 and no trouble whatsoever... And I use it as my primary DVD player.

Lets wait a bit before painting the devil on the wall, as the danish expression goes ;-)

btw-I was sure this was about the "Whining" that the PS3 does :-D

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »

Yeah, but just remember that if 360 repairs weren't free, MS would have have a huge PR mess on their hands.  Consider the free repairs and sometimes little extras as payment to keep you quiet about the horrendously high failure rate.  Just imagine how bad it would be right now if MS hadn't extended their warranty to 3 years, or if they started getting more stringent about what was a red ring and what wasn't.  Still, free repairs is always a good thing, and for all the faulty hardware, they got a lot of the software and developer support right enough to land a lot of good games.

On the other hand, Sony's warranty period on the PS3 is pretty short for something so complex, and requiring a $150 repair fee is overkill.  And I don't have the receipt.  I should consider buying some kind of warranty for it, failure prone or not, things do simply up and fail.  Having first generation bluray tech in my system isn't exactly all that comforting.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:08:40 AM by Turtle » Logged
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

Yeah I forgot to mention that this now puts my PS3 and my Xbox 360 dead even at "one each" for system failures.

Actually someone could argue that my PS3 now has a worse record as the Xbox 360 was one of the launch systems and lasted over 2 years before I began having any issues with it - whereas the PS3 has died in less than 12 months plus the fact that it's only been since August / Sept that I really began to use the PS3 more than just a couple times a month.

Considering the number of posts I found across the internet about other people having the same issue - it seems like could be more widespread of an issue and I sure hope Sony steps up to the plate and extends their warranty or at least reduces their ridiculous service repair fee down to something more reasonable. Paying nearly half the cost of a new system is unacceptable.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 28, 2008, 12:52:13 PM

Considering the number of posts I found across the internet about other people having the same issue - it seems like could be more widespread of an issue

Well, I'd never heard of it until a couple of months ago, and now I've spoken with about 10 people.
Anecdotal, obviously, but I'm starting to wonder.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 02:59:25 PM »

Tell your PS3 to shut the hell up and stop whining-it's never had it so good.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on December 28, 2008, 03:28:18 AM

This PS3 problem seems to be turning up more and more over the last couple of months.
I'm wondering if there isn't a systematic problem with one of the components of the blu-ray drive.
If this became commonplace it would be disastrous for Sony.

Well, the PS1 was designed to fail (cheap plastic part holding the CD lens in place that would fail due to heat over time), and the PS2 more than likely would fail (you'd have to adjust the strength of the lens reader over time). This would not be a good thing if the PS3 has the same problem, especially as the older (better) consoles (with PS2 compatibility) are in limited numbers in Sony's repair place.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »

i bought my PS3 July 07,and this(no discs playing) happened to it about 4 months after(in fact this happened before i got a RRoD on my launch 360 which was April just gone)

it was since an update it wouldnt read any discs......i had to reformat(quick option)the hard drive,lost 40 gigs of stuff(okay,so it was 40gig of crap,but it was still 40 gigs worth),redownloaded the update and it has been fine ever since

thankfully though this isnt the worse of the breakdowns for the PS3,people seem to be complaining about a yellow light flashing instead of green or red,and that it wouldnt even activate/turn on when this happened,and then you have to get it sent back

what really pissed me off though was that i didnt(and still dont really)play on the PS3 that much...when the 360 went last April i kinda thought,well at least i play on the thing everyday,got 60 full days(and i mean 60 full days) of final fantasy 11 out of it,countless COD4(even though really,i still shouldnt be thinking like that...i bought a machine,i expect it to work until my dying day and beyond)

now,if it were my Wii that broke down(although i have problems when i try and go online with that as well,sometimes as it freezes on the black scren and i have to unplug it)..i am not sure i would even bother getting that fixed..its nearly 6 months since i last turned that machine on..or whenever my life as a king came out

sorry to hear about your PS3 DarkEL..but PS3/360 or Wii,if they break down i think you have a right to Bitch and Whine,LOL

FWIW-i have had no problems with my launch PS1(played silent hill 1 on it the other month)..my 1 month after launch PS2 or my 1 year after launch XBOX...i played on all 3 like there was no tomorrow

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: