http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 06:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PS3 versions of Alone In The Dark/Half-Life2 delayed  (Read 2305 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »

not sure about U.S but here in the UK,Stranglehold has been delayed AGAIN....first it was meant to be september,then October...now,its 30th November

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 01:44:31 AM »

Games delayed, cancelled, and previously thought exclusive titles becoming not so exclusive.  It's not hard to see the direction this is going.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 01:52:31 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 09, 2007, 01:44:31 AM

Games delayed, cancelled, and previously thought exclusive titles becoming not so exclusive.  It's not hard to see the direction this is going.

it's all part of Sony's master plan  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 05:42:29 AM »

Eh, it comes with the territory, the cell is a different architecture, there's no getting around that besides developing for it first.

The PS3 isn't going away, despite how much some want it to for some odd reason.  Five to ten years from now we certainly won't know the status of the console race.  But for the now, the main difference between the PS3 and other dead consoles with similar problems is that it's backed by Sony, and like MS, they're willing to spend many, many millions of dollars to push the system.  Considering that the lineup for the end of this year, the PS3 is looking good, not on top of the pack, but they finally have a good library of games going on into 2008.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 09, 2007, 05:42:29 AM

Eh, it comes with the territory, the cell is a different architecture, there's no getting around that besides developing for it first.

The multi-core PowerPC architecture of the 360 is also different from previous iterations.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 07:01:04 AM »

Yes, but it's still closer to the PC architecture, the powerPC architecture is also known and there would be at least some similarities.  Even the multi-core architecture is closer to the PC implementation, where the multiple cores are pretty similar.  With the cell, the main processer, and the multiple smaller processors are different.  I suppose there's similarity with other less mainstream processor types with the cell, but much less so than with PowerPC.

Also, the 360 has had two years for people to familiarize themselves with it.  In the early days of the 360, some games really didn't even use the multiple cores.  Likewise, these poor or delayed ports on the PS3 are the same growing pains that the 360 and PS2 went through.  I'll also come right out and say it, but Sony did a poor job early on with their dev kits, and from the reports I've read, it was really, really bad.  Thankfully with 1st and 2nd party developers working on actual hardware, it's improved quite a bit as those developers share their methods with other third party companies.

Yeah, it's certainly bad news for Sony when PS3 products get delayed.  And yes, it's still a bad thing right here, right now.  But tolling the bells for the PS3 because of it?  Nope, not going to happen.  As I stated above, there's a lot of developers working on PS3s now, including a lot of highly experienced studios making PS3 exclusives thanks to Sony's big push to get more PS3 games.  Yes, that's to make up for all the formerly exclusive games they lost.

Part of that prior PS2 exclusivity on many games was that frankly, the PS2 exclusivity was because it was the console out there.  I think a lot of developers would have gone multiplatform had the Xbox1 had numbers to justify the porting costs, especially when they got all the profits they needed with the PS2.  Yes, Sony's to blame for relying too much on brand name instead of trying to keep developers with good support and deals.  But, with the competition from MS, Sony's gotten its act together on the games department.

As for the games we're talking about.  Both of these games started as PC games on normal x86 processors with PC developers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:08:56 AM by Turtle » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: